PDA

View Full Version : No Wonder we didn't sign Archuleta!

Gunzlingr
03-21-2006, 02:01 PM
tossing out a staggering $31.8 million, six-year contract to the Rams' Adam Archuleta, making him the richest safety in NFL history.

Good lord that is a lot of dough!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/don_banks/03/21/fa.winners.losers/2.html

Saratoga Slim
03-21-2006, 02:06 PM
Dan Snyder is on CRACK.

How much you want to bet Sean Taylor holds out for a bigger contract.

Jersey1031
03-21-2006, 02:14 PM
He's not worth that much...But he's better than we got.

Bill Brasky
03-21-2006, 02:14 PM
**** like this should be made illegal in the NFL. half of that is probably structered as a bonus.

patmoran2006
03-21-2006, 02:19 PM
EVen me, self-acknowledged WIN NOW whiner, would have been outraged had we paid that much money for a BORDERLINE pro bowler.

BillsFever21
03-21-2006, 02:32 PM
Good lord that is a lot of dough!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/don_banks/03/21/fa.winners.losers/2.html

Yeah that's insane. He isn't that good of a player. Good but not great.

Just imagine how much it would take to sign Clements long term after seeing how much somebody like Archuleta got as a SS.

Billsrock4life
03-21-2006, 02:39 PM
jeezzzzzzz he got paid that much i mean hes a solid player but not worthy of that much money in my opinion

Michael82
03-21-2006, 03:43 PM
:shocked:

**** you Dan Synder and what you have done to the league. :mad:

Drive 4 Five
03-21-2006, 03:47 PM
:shocked:

**** you Dan Synder and what you have done to the league. :mad:

I think you nailed it right there bro. And it will only get worse. Good post.

Tatonka
03-21-2006, 04:43 PM
that much money to a safety NOT named ed reed is so ****ing insane.. what a joke.

Drive 4 Five
03-21-2006, 04:55 PM
We all sit here and laugh about how the Redskins are jeopardizing their financial future and then the CBA goes and bails their ass out. Based on what I saw last year, I think it is very likely this team could be in the Super Bowl this year or the next. When you have an opportunity like that, why not spend to solidify your weaknesses?

dplus47
03-21-2006, 05:30 PM
while i agree that archuleta isn't worth it, i think there is a flaw in the system. think about the huge deal julian peterson signed with seattle. without knowing how it's structured, the $18 mil. in bonus money he earned is still LESS than a top 3 draft pick from last year. how does that work? work really hard, become a great player, and maybe, just maybe... you'll get paid almost as much as alex smith was paid before taking an NFL snap.

i think the NFL needs a rookie pay scale, and that might tone down some of the salaries that others are getting. i'm fine with the CBA giving as much to the players as they are getting, but i'm in favor of the money being spread out more equally among the players.

dplus47
03-21-2006, 05:34 PM
that much money to a safety NOT named ed reed is so ****ing insane.. what a joke.

this is true. for that money, you want a guaranteed game-changer. a guy the other team fears. archuleta is a solid starter, but i wouldn't say that teams fear him or specifically prepare for him every week.

Mr. Pink
03-21-2006, 06:05 PM
I'll give you another name that strikes fear into teams at the same position....Roy Williams, perhaps.

But here's the really funny part of all this, all you people who sit here and complain that Snyder is throwing money around and structuring contracts so that he can field a team of star players which gives you a better chance at winning HAVE NO PROBLEM with the New York Yankees doing the same. Being from Buffalo, it's not difficult to figure out that most teams baseball team of choice is the Yankees. So you same people who sit here and complain that Snyder spends money are the same ones who LOVED Steinbrenner bringing A-rod in.

Back to football....The guy knows how to use and manipulate the system. Good for him. Every team is on a level playing field with a salary cap in tact just some people know how to use it better than others. Is this necessarily a bad thing? Then again when you're a fan of a team who notoriously pinches pennys when it comes to the on the field product I guess you would be upset.