PDA

View Full Version : When did ESPN become a pay site?

Bill Brasky
03-21-2006, 02:20 PM
I went to their website today for the first time in a while... half the stuff on there now you have to pay to read. :crazy:

tat2dmike77
03-21-2006, 02:21 PM
Cause espn wants you to pay for the crap they spew out. Foxsports or cbssportsline are the ones i goto instead of espn

Jersey1031
03-21-2006, 02:21 PM
I went to their website today for the first time in a while... half the stuff on there now you have to pay to read. :crazy:

Yeaa, more and more everyday...It's bull.

Bill Brasky
03-21-2006, 02:22 PM
Cause espn wants you to pay for the crap they spew out. Foxsports or cbssportsline are the ones i goto instead of espn
Me too.

My gf gets confused because I'm a sports nut who refuses to watch ESPN.

I can't stand their self-righteous BS. They think they're the end-all, be-all of sports news and half the time their wrong in their assessments and are quick to try and discredit everybody that doesn't agree with them.

Plus their anchors are all about trying to make a career or having a schtick. I wish I had the money, I'd start my own network.

Jersey1031
03-21-2006, 02:25 PM
They do need some real competition, not some Fox Sports Net...

tat2dmike77
03-21-2006, 02:25 PM
Stuart Scott is the most annoying of them all

Bill Brasky
03-21-2006, 02:27 PM
Well, if anybody here is a multi-millionaire/billionaire with disposable income you can send it my way and I'll start my own network.

tat2dmike77
03-21-2006, 02:28 PM
Anyone remember CNNSI?

Bill Brasky
03-21-2006, 02:29 PM
Stuart Scott is the most annoying of them all
I loath the goobers on ESPN News. You can tell they're all "my daddy knows a guy who works here and helped me get a job" and their reporting is so cookie-cutter.

One of my buddies in sports broadcasting has told me some sweet stories about some of the psychos that work there. Apparently Mike Tirico is a huge stalker!

tat2dmike77
03-21-2006, 02:30 PM
Michelle Bonner is hot atleast

THATHURMANATOR
03-21-2006, 03:04 PM
The ESPN insider(which is the portion you need to pay for) has been like that for probably 5 years on ESPN.com. Where have you been Freeman?

AndreReed83
03-21-2006, 03:04 PM
Me too.

My gf gets confused because I'm a sports nut who refuses to watch ESPN.

I can't stand their self-righteous BS. They think they're the end-all, be-all of sports news and half the time their wrong in their assessments and are quick to try and discredit everybody that doesn't agree with them.

Plus their anchors are all about trying to make a career or having a schtick. I wish I had the money, I'd start my own network.

Man, I hate ESPN too. I think the thing that sums up my hatred for ESPN is when they show a last second shot in basketball, it'll be some guy running as fast as he can, not getting a chance to set his feet, and flicking the ball up with multiple people covering him. The ESPN analyst will be like, "Is Joe Basketball a hero?! OH! No he isn't!" Like these jackass analysts have any right to bash a guy for missing a shot like that, since they are such great athletes themselves.

AndreReed83
03-21-2006, 03:08 PM
Not too mention that 3/4 of their "experts" are only on ESPN because they are actually just bitter men or women who hate everything and are willing to criticize everyone and anything. (ie - Skip Bayless, basically everyone on Around The Horn.)

LtBillsFan66
03-21-2006, 03:09 PM
I get all my info on the board. If it's on espn.com, someone will post it.

Bill Brasky
03-21-2006, 03:17 PM
The ESPN insider(which is the portion you need to pay for) has been like that for probably 5 years on ESPN.com. Where have you been Freeman?
I don't know.

All I know is everything I clicked on today at their site said I had to be an insider and that it costs money. I couldn't find any news because they apparently feel the need to bill me so I can know that the Browns have done a lot in free agency.

Who the hell would ever sign up for that when there are about 5 million sports news sites online?

Do they really think they are that credible?

It's like asking you guys to pay me so you can view my posts.

BillsOwnAll
03-21-2006, 03:57 PM
My favorite was one time the Cover Story for ESPN.com was an INside only...how can your front page story be an insider....thats BS

Drive 4 Five
03-21-2006, 04:04 PM
I get all my info on the board. If it's on espn.com, someone will post it.

:clap:

True that. True that. Billszone.com is the premier network as far as I am concerned. ESPN should change its name to the T.O. Network.

G. Host
03-21-2006, 10:56 PM
Much of what they want to charge you to read is free to read. They get news from a lot of news sources most of which also post it for free. An example is news from Buffalo News and Rochester D&C often appears in ESPN Insider. Typically I can find the original free source by searching via Google or one of the other search agents.

hammerbillsfan
03-21-2006, 11:02 PM
:clap:

True that. True that. Billszone.com is the premier network as far as I am concerned. ESPN should change its name to the T.O. Network.

:up:

Mski
03-21-2006, 11:22 PM
Not too mention that 3/4 of their "experts" are only on ESPN because they are actually just bitter men or women who hate everything and are willing to criticize everyone and anything. (ie - Skip Bayless, basically everyone on Around The Horn.)

At least one of the people from Around The Horn have real journalism experience ie: Woody Paige, not saying i like what he has to say most of the time, just that he's not a hack

tat2dmike77
03-21-2006, 11:28 PM
Also why is every single dunk in basketball a top ten play? Big deal i player dunked wipppeeeee thats what basketball players do. Thier reporting has gotten dull and boring and they try to make ordinary plays into big time plays.

Mski
03-21-2006, 11:36 PM
Since you bourng up the subject of dunking since when did a lay0up become a dunk, if what the girl from tennessee did was really a dunk i've been able to dunk since i was in 7th grade and i still dont think i can dunk

Mr. Pink
03-21-2006, 11:40 PM
Dude, you can't dunk....White Men Can't Jump.

Mski
03-21-2006, 11:41 PM
i know i cant, and i can get more above the rim then her, that was my point!

AndreReed83
03-22-2006, 12:00 AM
Not too mention, that depending on what team it is, they will hype the play to be bigger then it really was. Take Josh McRoberts from Duke. He had that ******iculous fake pass behind the back play and either dunked it in or had a layup, I can't remember how he scored. But they were giving that plays rave reviews on ESPN. "McRoberts with the PASS BEHIND THE BACK! Wow, selling that fake!" Um, the defender didn't even flince, much less fall for the fake.

Same thing with that first Candace Parker dunk, the girl for Army who quickly ran back to try to put some pressure on the play, her last name was King. ESPN said, "Candace Parker dominates King on this play with the dunk!" I don't even know what to say about that other then, no she didn't.

ajsdx
03-22-2006, 12:17 AM
like Thurm said, ESPN Insider has around for a good while (I remember reading articles off there when I was in high school). But are you surprised? the WSJ online is pretty much entirely pay, the NYT has Times Select, CNNSI.com has their subscriber section, and there are message boards that are becoming subscriber only as well. Not exactly a new phenomenon here.