PDA

View Full Version : Bills Sign Fowler

muestafa1
03-21-2006, 08:30 PM
"The Bills have signed OL Melvin Fowler. Fowler started nine games at center for the Minnesota Vikings in 2005." -VCoach

More info:
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3670

OpIv37
03-21-2006, 08:33 PM
who is he?

THE END OF ALL DAYS
03-21-2006, 08:33 PM
link?

Tatonka
03-21-2006, 08:34 PM
wtf.. i dont have that on my vcoach yet...

good signing though.

Slim
good start :up:.. now Alan, then neal

Dicknoze69
definitely a good signing

Tatonka
op.. minnesota's center during their 7-2 run last year.

The Spaz
03-21-2006, 08:35 PM
link?

VCoach! I got the same text message.

http://images.nfl.com/images/players/60x80/302023.jpg
<b>Melvin Fowler</b>

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302023

THE END OF ALL DAYS
03-21-2006, 08:35 PM
Fowler played for the Browns for three years before landing in Minnesota last season. He started 9 games for the Vikings and has 23 career starts in 41 games. He is a former third round pick

Mitchy moo
03-21-2006, 08:36 PM
Well, I am going to have to buy Miami season tickets just to assure I have seats to watch the Bills in the SB now, lol.

ICE74129
03-21-2006, 08:36 PM
I have watched Vikings games with my brother and Fowler is another guy that has been waiting for that chance. He got it last year at Center for the Vikes and looked damn solid.

Iehoshua
03-21-2006, 08:37 PM
An o-lineman! Everyone can now rejoice!
:bravo:

OpIv37
op.. minnesota's center during their 7-2 run last year.
thanks- finally a start on the OL

ICE74129
It's a damn solid OL signing and people STILL *****!

THE END OF ALL DAYS
03-21-2006, 08:38 PM
I have watched Vikings games with my brother and Fowler is another guy that has been waiting for that chance. He got it last year at Center for the Vikes and looked damn solid.

thanks ice... howd he do in pass protection, and is he a center or guard? ie was he playing his position in Minn or just plugged in for injured center?

The Spaz
03-21-2006, 08:38 PM
Well, I am going to have to buy Miami season tickets just to assure I have seats to watch the Bills in the SB now, lol.

Have some more negative rep!

THE END OF ALL DAYS
03-21-2006, 08:41 PM

Jeesh Skoob.. what did I tell you yesterday?

muestafa1
03-21-2006, 08:42 PM
Have some more negative rep!

LOL, while we're talking rep... If anyone can lift me above the stagnant 10 I'm at it'd be much appreciated...

OpIv37
03-21-2006, 08:42 PM
It's a damn solid OL signing and people STILL *****!
??? I don't see anyone *****ing. Not even me.

Tatonka
03-21-2006, 08:44 PM
good signing.. i am happy.. i would be extatic if we could somehow land allen too.

camelcowboy
03-21-2006, 08:47 PM
Neal over allen

ICE74129
thanks ice... howd he do in pass protection, and is he a center or guard? ie was he playing his position in Minn or just plugged in for injured center?

He is more suited for Center I think. Can't get ahold of my brother to get more info. All I know is they went on a 7 game win streak after he was in there

Tatonka
LOL, while we're talking rep... If anyone can lift me above the stagnant 10 I'm at it'd be much appreciated...

done.

Tatonka
03-21-2006, 08:48 PM
i am calling my buddy now.. hardcore cleveland fan.. he will know about him.

ICE74129
03-21-2006, 08:48 PM
Neal over allen

Neal is a guy that didn't play college ball I believe, just wrestled (with Brock Lesnar no less). I take allen over neal in a heartbeat

Philagape
03-21-2006, 08:49 PM
Melvin Fowler is an underappreciated and miscast player early in his career. Fowler plays well in a short area when he can put his hands on a defensive tackle. Will battle and finish off blocks, but does not play overly well in space. Not overly quick or strong, Fowler is a fundamentally sound center, but lacks the agility to get to the second line of defense consistently.
http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=174&p=8&c=1&nid=2143924

Active in Cleveland through numerous charities, including Make-A-Wish, Cleveland Clinic Children's Hospital, United Way Hometown Huddle and distributing turkeys to area residents during the holidays
http://www.vikings.com/player_detail_objectname_melvin_fowler.html

(AP) Eden Prairie, Minn. Melvin Fowler can do the splits. He's also slowly becoming a suitable replacement for Vikings center Matt Birk.
Neither is an easy task.
"Each week that I play," Fowler said, "I just get better and better with my knowledge of the offense."
The fourth-year player out of Maryland had his best performance yet in a victory over Detroit last week, Fowler's fourth start with the Vikings.
Acquired before the regular season in a trade with Cleveland, Fowler replaced Cory Withrow in the lineup for the Oct. 16 game at Chicago and has gradually improved his blocking and command of the offensive scheme. (more...)
http://wcco.com/sports/local_story_313195922.html

Melvin Fowler, the center the Vikings acquired from the Browns in a trade for offensive tackle Nat Dorsey, received high marks for his play in the team's victory over the Lions. He has solidified the team's line, which had been shaky early in the season.

"He was our highest grader in the offensive line," said offensive coordinator and line coach Steve Loney. "He got out and was pulling and blocking linebackers. I think he was a key element to our success. He's very athletic, and he's got great balance. He can get banged around and always stays on his feet. That certainly is probably his strongest point." (more...)
http://www.startribune.com/dynamic/mobile_story.php?story=5720491

Center Matt Birk went down to injury. Replacements Melvin Fowler and Cory Withrow were only adequate in his place.
http://football.about.com/od/teamneeds/a/teamneeds_MIN.htm

Melvin Fowler was another player brought to the Vikings in a trade. This former Brown was the ultimate replacement for the injured Matt Birk with Cory Withrow holding down that spot early in the season. With Birk expected to be back at full strength, Fowler may not be kept as he may be another that commands more salary than the Vikings may want to pay.
http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/VikingsColumn.htm

Mitchy moo
03-21-2006, 08:50 PM
Jeesh Skoob.. what did I tell you yesterday?

I never ever heard of this guy & I follow all the NFL stuff. If you want me to give credit for addressing the OL so be it, it's one more no-name to me.

The Spaz
03-21-2006, 08:52 PM
I never ever heard of this guy & I follow all the NFL stuff. If you want me to give credit for addressing the OL so be it, it's one more no-name to me.

You need to pay closer attention. Also look above your post.

Jersey1031
An O-lineman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yiiippppppppppeeee

camelcowboy
Neal is a guy that didn't play college ball I believe, just wrestled (with Brock Lesnar no less). I take allen over neal in a heartbeat
how old is allen, he has to be around 40

THE END OF ALL DAYS
03-21-2006, 08:53 PM
Skoob, read the stuff about him before you call him a no name... after reading, he looks like a solid signing... Better the Bennie!

I took a neg rep for you yesterday just for saying somthing nice to you... you owe me one now... just try not to be sarcastic in THIS THREAD and I'll call it even.

ICE74129
03-21-2006, 08:54 PM
Again Fowler was just that typical player that all he needed was playing time. When he got it he broke out.

We are getting him at the right time. JMac will be very happy with this guy.

JJamezz
03-21-2006, 08:54 PM
Melvin Fowler can do the splits.

Oh, I've GOT TO see that...

Slim
03-21-2006, 08:55 PM
how old is allen, he has to be around 40

35.. But the last time i checked Willie Roaf was 36 and he is still the anchor of the KC line.

Jersey1031
Is this confirmed yet, I don't see it anywhere...

OpIv37

so you're saying you know every player who played OL for all 32 teams at any point during the past season, even ones who were 2nd string and stepped up due to injuries? Somehow I doubt it.

Kerr
03-21-2006, 08:56 PM
It's a start. Now all the *****ing about Marv not doing anything to fix the line can stop.

Mitchy moo
03-21-2006, 08:59 PM
Skoob, read the stuff about him before you call him a no name... after reading, he looks like a solid signing... Better the Bennie!

I took a neg rep for you yesterday just for saying somthing nice to you... you owe me one now... just try not to be sarcastic in THIS THREAD and I'll call it even.

I really don't know the guy so his addition to the team will be far from an earth shaker that's why I made the SB comment. I hope he can do good things for us.

Dicknoze69
03-21-2006, 09:00 PM
Is this confirmed yet, I don't see it anywhere...

There's a link earlier in this post...and its on buffalobills.com

Bert102176
03-21-2006, 09:02 PM
awesome it's nice to see them finnaly getting OL help, but I hope they sign that Neal, doesn't Allen have problems with a knee or something?, but if not and we can get him damn that is a big upgrade

Bert102176
03-21-2006, 09:06 PM
just think if we can get Allen, and Neal also, and you give the ball atleast 30 times to Willis oh damn look out opposing teams and we even have a really good blocking TE now in Robert, I would like to upgrade at FB don't like Shelton that much he is ok though just want better, heard there is a kid in the draft that is dang good but can't think of his name.

ghz in pittsburgh
03-21-2006, 09:07 PM
For some reason, I don't see him as a starting material. At least the Bills now have a proven backup center.

Jersey1031
03-21-2006, 09:07 PM
All it says is he visited, what are you talking about. Look at the link...

Is V-Coach reliable?

Tatonka
03-21-2006, 09:08 PM
i know one thing for sure.. levy and jauron are getting input from the other coaches with all player signings.. so this is a guy that mcnally wanted..

he is teagues replacement.. and can play guard in a pinch..

at a minimum.. preston and him can fight it out for who wants the job, which is a good thing to have options.. and TEAGUE definately wont be back!!

Slim
03-21-2006, 09:10 PM
once is enough..thank you.

ICE74129
03-21-2006, 09:12 PM
For some reason, I don't see him as a starting material. At least the Bills now have a proven backup center.

As of right now he starts. He is more experienced at Center than preston

MTBillsFan
looks and sounds like a good start with our Oline! Welcome to Buffalo Melvin!

Tatonka
sorry.. i studdered.

Dicknoze69
03-21-2006, 09:14 PM
All it says is he visited, what are you talking about. Look at the link...

Is V-Coach reliable?

go to buffalobills.com

click the arrow to go to the 2nd slide of the Top Stories

the headline will be "Fowler Signs"

Mr. Pink
03-21-2006, 09:17 PM
Quick question all....Is this what we're reduced to? Being happy that Marv addressed the line at all by signing, and lets face it here, a journeyman backup? A guy who couldn't even crack Clevelands' starting lineup 2 seasons ago when they had that looked as pathetic as ours. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy the line has FINALLY been addressed but to be "dancing in the streets" over this one is another story entirely.

Slim
03-21-2006, 09:18 PM
sorry.. i studdered.

its ok

Mr. Miyagi
03-21-2006, 09:26 PM
Quick question all....Is this what we're reduced to? Being happy that Marv addressed the line at all by signing, and lets face it here, a journeyman backup? A guy who couldn't even crack Clevelands' starting lineup 2 seasons ago when they had that looked as pathetic as ours. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy the line has FINALLY been addressed but to be "dancing in the streets" over this one is another story entirely.
Quit being so negative. Fowler played very well in Minny last season, certainly is an upgrade from Teague. Maybe we can move Teague back outside with this move?

Dicknoze69
03-21-2006, 09:40 PM
Quit being so negative. Fowler played very well in Minny last season, certainly is an upgrade from Teague. Maybe we can move Teague back outside with this move?

Only if he re-signs for the vet minimum.

OpIv37
03-21-2006, 09:41 PM
i know one thing for sure.. levy and jauron are getting input from the other coaches with all player signings.. so this is a guy that mcnally wanted..

at a minimum.. preston and him can fight it out for who wants the job, which is a good thing to have options.. and TEAGUE definately wont be back!!

was Teague already cut? I was away last week and didn't get to see the news. He's not listed on the roster at bb.com

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster.jsp?order_by=name

Mr. Miyagi
03-21-2006, 09:42 PM
I didn't hear him get cut either, but then again I was also on the road all last week.

Jersey1031
03-21-2006, 09:43 PM
go to buffalobills.com

click the arrow to go to the 2nd slide of the Top Stories

the headline will be "Fowler Signs"

My bad, I swear I clicked through all the other news topics...You'd think this would be more important than the Nell signing and be the first news bulletin.

Philagape
03-21-2006, 09:53 PM
Teague is a UFA (thank God)

Dicknoze69
03-21-2006, 10:20 PM
Teague is a UFA (thank God)

Exactly. I doubt he comes back with us.

Tatonka
03-21-2006, 10:31 PM
just talked to my buddy who is a cleveland fan.. he said he thought that fowler was decent and will get better.. he did say that when fowler was put in the lineup at the end of the last season with cleveland, suggs tore it up, and fowler played great.. good enough that minnesota wanted to and did trade for him.. and cleveland did it because they had alot tied up in faine.

he said he thought it was a good signing..

for what it is worth anyways.. just thought i would share.

Kerr
03-21-2006, 10:48 PM
just talked to my buddy who is a cleveland fan.. he said he thought that fowler was decent and will get better.. he did say that when fowler was put in the lineup at the end of the last season with cleveland, suggs tore it up, and fowler played great.. good enough that minnesota wanted to and did trade for him.. and cleveland did it because they had alot tied up in faine.

encouraging.

jmb1099
03-21-2006, 11:23 PM

Nice and thanks for the info

Kerr
03-21-2006, 11:46 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2002/draft/players/99632.html

Mr. Pink
03-22-2006, 03:25 AM

Being negative? I am a Browns fan. I grew up there as a kid. What do you want to know about this guy?

A projected 4th round pick that Botch Davis reached for the in the 3rd?

The guy who was supposed to replace Dave Wohlbaugh at C?

The guy who looked so IMPRESSIVE to Botch Davis and the rest of the Browns brass the year after they selected Fowler and replaced Wohlbaugh they drafted Jeff Faine in Rd1?

The guy who backed up such luminaries at G in Cleveland named Barry Stokes and Shaun O'hara? And we won't mention that he also ended up backing up a guy named Paul Zukauskas a Browns 7th Round draft pick at guard, woops I guess he just did.

How about the guy the Browns own media guy in 2004 labelled as "Melvin Fowler has been a 3rd round disappointment to date."

Or are we back to believing what Browns fans were told on draft day that they're getting a top notch talent with a nasty streak?

I'm a Browns and Bills fan and no offense to anyone else, I'm not buying any more BS on a second rate offensive lineman. I bought the BS of his arrival meaning good things for Cleveland in 2002. What you have here is a guy who was supposed to replace an aging vet on his way out who wasn't good enough. Period.

But call me negative and pessimistic all you want if that makes you feel better than facing up to the facts and thinking the truth of what I am in this. And that is realistic.

MOULDSROCKS
03-22-2006, 04:55 AM
definitely a good signing

Now THATS a great signing!!!!! see miami...this is hows its done!!! lol
bills are now officially SB bound! lets see the fools on here think this is a great pick up!!!!
LOL
:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

EDS
03-22-2006, 07:35 AM
I think this is a good signing. He has played well when given the chance in Minn. and Cleveland.

Some of you are so drunk on the thought of obtaining a "big name" that you completely miss the concept of acquiring ascending talent.

ICE74129
03-22-2006, 07:36 AM
just think if we can get Allen, and Neal also, and you give the ball atleast 30 times to Willis oh damn look out opposing teams and we even have a really good blocking TE now in Robert, I would like to upgrade at FB don't like Shelton that much he is ok though just want better, heard there is a kid in the draft that is dang good but can't think of his name.

I can tell you now, if Willis gets 30x, 20 of it will come in the 3rd and 4th Quarters. Farichild is going KGUN old school and using the pass to set up the run. I for one agree completely!

BigZ
03-22-2006, 09:16 AM

Teague was a tackle at Denver. Maybe he competes for LT? Can always cut him during camp.