PDA

View Full Version : With All Due Respect...

Buffatexas
03-21-2006, 08:40 PM
I lurk around here on a daily basis. I used to post somewhat but now I just can't see the points in some of these threads. People bashing each other because of their opinions. Not good. For those of you who remember WYS, at least he had a point and could carry an arguement without slamming the posters. Even if he was long and drawn out in his 10 rants about a single player/coach. I almost miss the guy. Look, you can tell me to jump ship and go to another board if you want, but I won't as a lot of you show a lot of knowledge about Bills football and can have some fun at the same time. I think the mods to a fantastic job here as well

I just want to touch on two things here (outside of the OL scenario)
I don't know about you but I dont want to become another Washington who signs every big name FA under the sun and still at the end of the season wind up in the same spot as us.Watching the SB from the stands. Marv knows team chemistry, Marv knows that it takes more than just a big name(s) to win in this league. Granted, the game has changed since the 90's but, 49er fans will argue, we DOMINATED the 90's under Marv and Polian's stewardship (minus the rings of course). Marv is a highly intelligent man and dont think for a second that he will not attempt to emulate Polian's style as a GM and pass some of his HC mentality to DJ. Although I consider DJ a gutsy call as a HC, Marv, like Jauron did not really accomplish anything as a HC prior to becoming our HC. So only time will tell for DJ.
As far as our QB situation goes. in this day and age, it is anyone's guess. Holcomb, perennial journeyman could be the next Rich Gannon or Brad Johnson (not stellar but both have been to the SB), Craig Nall could be the next Delhomme, Warner or he could be just as good as Frank Reich (not a solid starter but can come in and win games) JP, the next Flutie with his physical abilities? the next Jim Kelly with his swagger? or the next Heath Shuler? Still too early to tell. IMO, MM did not give JP a chance to take his lumps and use that motivation to get him ready for the next contest, our defense could not stop anybody. Faults to all (minus special teams) on last year's debacle, not just JP although he is deserving of some parts of it but certainly not all of it and don't think for a second that this kid with all of his swagger did not take his demotion to heart. The question is will he use that to better himself for this team or let it get the best of him.
Anyway, that's it. Thanks.

RedEyE
03-21-2006, 08:42 PM
:bf1:

Well said. I completley agree with your first paragraph.

Dicknoze69
03-21-2006, 08:45 PM
:bf1:

Well said. I completley agree with your first paragraph.

Totally....I can't decide if I really miss Wys or not though.

RedEyE
03-21-2006, 08:47 PM
Totally....I can't decide if I really miss Wys or not though.

I would take Wys back in a minute over the bickering and jawing going on by the same handful of indviduals in here.

justasportsfan
03-21-2006, 08:47 PM
No,no,no. There's no place for optimism now. You are way off Bufftexas.

Negged.

Dicknoze69
03-21-2006, 08:49 PM
I would take Wys back in a minute over the bickering and jawing going on by the same handful of indviduals in here.

If only his posts didn't take a half-hour to read. But I agree with you.

Crisis
03-21-2006, 08:54 PM
Post of the year.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-21-2006, 09:10 PM
I have to say that I know how you feel. This site has really gone down hill over the past year. I don't post here very much anymore either. It was the same reason I don't post on buffalobills.com.

Morgoth
03-21-2006, 09:30 PM
About the only thing I agree with is that his posts were long winded. Wys used to skew any set of statistics to back his arguments. He would say things like "if you look at his first 8 games vs his last 8 games minus this game because the defense the Bills played against this week wasn't a top defense". He would exclude facts for or against whatever would make him look like he was right.

My beef with Wys was that he always had to be right and would never see anything anybody else's way. I didn't want him to leave but I can't honestly say I miss him.

Mr. Miyagi
03-21-2006, 09:41 PM
About the only thing I agree with is that his posts were long winded. Wys used to skew any set of statistics to back his arguments. He would say things like "if you look at his first 8 games vs his last 8 games minus this game because the defense the Bills played against this week wasn't a top defense". He would exclude facts for or against whatever would make him look like he was right.

My beef with Wys was that he always had to be right and would never see anything anybody else's way. I didn't want him to leave but I can't honestly say I miss him.
I don't miss Wys at all. I was glad when he left. Being opinionated is one thing, but he was always very negative and needed to drag everyone else down with him.

With that said, I agree with Buffatexas 100%. And thanks for the props to the mods! :miyagi:

Buffatexas
03-21-2006, 09:43 PM
Much appreciated for the comments!!! I guess the point I was trying to make regarding missing wys was that if we would sign someone who was not of "expected caliber" his rant would not include stuff like "Bills sign overrated lineman cause Marv is older than Moses and Ralph makes scrooge look like Mother Teresa" At least wys, as long winded as he was, really attempted to make an intelligent comment regardless of anyones opinion(please dont kill me for that one). The threads where arguments ensued just seemed to be more indepth with a "battle of proof" then the bantering that is going on now.

lordofgun
03-21-2006, 09:44 PM
Good post, Buffatexas. Let's talk some football. :bf1:

Dicknoze69
03-21-2006, 09:50 PM

My favorite were the "If you take away Travis Henry's 3 longest runs of the game, he averaged under 4.0 YPC, so therefore he sucks" arguments.

lordofgun
03-21-2006, 09:52 PM
Wys (http://www.afceastreport.com/)

Buffatexas
03-21-2006, 10:02 PM
wys made a positive comment!!!! "8.) Buffalo Bills – Vernon Davis, tight end, Maryland. I’m enamored with Davis. He ran a 4.38 at the combine, had a 42” vertical leap, and bench presses 465 lbs. Normally I don’t take a ton of stock in the combine, but numbers like that can’t be ignored. The Bills currently have former third round pick Kevin Everett at this position, but they simply can’t pass on Davis. No linebacker in the game can cover a tight end of this speed. Also, new GM Marv Levy spoke of character players when he was first given the Bills’ job; you won’t find many players with more character than Davis. Great tight ends are a young quarterback’s best friend, and J.P. Losman will become a different player with Davis. "...but I get your point LOG, his monologing is a bit much...

RedEyE
03-21-2006, 10:03 PM
:ill: After reading two sentences on that site, I've decided that I would rather have the bickering and jawing.

TigerJ
03-21-2006, 10:20 PM
Bashing has never been my style. Some really has to push my buttons to get me to bash. I always try to be open minded and reasonable in my posts. I usually just ignore posts that seem to be baseless emotional rants. Those policies have helped me to survive for a long time here at the Zone.

clumping platelets
03-21-2006, 10:43 PM
I agree :bf1:

patmoran2006
03-21-2006, 10:49 PM
To be totally honest I just read this WYS's billsbuzz columns and they make a hell of a lot more sense than given credit for.. Dont know the dude, but the article made good sense. like it or not.

jmb1099
03-21-2006, 11:21 PM
To be totally honest I just read this WYS's billsbuzz columns and they make a hell of a lot more sense than given credit for.. Dont know the dude, but the article made good sense. like it or not.
You both share many of the same opinions. I imagine it didn't hurt that he is also in the Davis corner too.

SquishDaFish
03-22-2006, 05:13 AM
You should go with him Pat and be a couple.

Night Train
03-22-2006, 05:48 AM
No,no,no. There's no place for optimism now. You are way off Bufftexas.
Negged.

Exactly. :up:

mysticsoto
03-22-2006, 08:19 AM
I lurk around here on a daily basis. I used to post somewhat but now I just can't see the points in some of these threads. People bashing each other because of their opinions. Not good. For those of you who remember WYS, at least he had a point and could carry an arguement without slamming the posters. Even if he was long and drawn out in his 10 rants about a single player/coach. I almost miss the guy. Look, you can tell me to jump ship and go to another board if you want, but I won't as a lot of you show a lot of knowledge about Bills football and can have some fun at the same time. I think the mods to a fantastic job here as well

In all honestly, I think things have gotten out of hand lately. I think the mods usually do a good job, but have been a little lax lately and should become a little more forceful and take action with all the bull***** postings that have been deluging the boards and all the TOS violations that are occurring!!!

mybills
03-22-2006, 08:31 AM

I just want to touch on two things here (outside of the OL scenario)
I don't know about you but I dont want to become another Washington who signs every big name FA under the sun and still at the end of the season wind up in the same spot as us.Watching the SB from the stands. Marv knows team chemistry, Marv knows that it takes more than just a big name(s) to win in this league. Granted, the game has changed since the 90's but, 49er fans will argue, we DOMINATED the 90's under Marv and Polian's stewardship (minus the rings of course). Marv is a highly intelligent man and dont think for a second that he will not attempt to emulate Polian's style as a GM and pass some of his HC mentality to DJ. Although I consider DJ a gutsy call as a HC, Marv, like Jauron did not really accomplish anything as a HC prior to becoming our HC. So only time will tell for DJ.
As far as our QB situation goes. in this day and age, it is anyone's guess. Holcomb, perennial journeyman could be the next Rich Gannon or Brad Johnson (not stellar but both have been to the SB), Craig Nall could be the next Delhomme, Warner or he could be just as good as Frank Reich (not a solid starter but can come in and win games) JP, the next Flutie with his physical abilities? the next Jim Kelly with his swagger? or the next Heath Shuler? Still too early to tell. IMO, MM did not give JP a chance to take his lumps and use that motivation to get him ready for the next contest, our defense could not stop anybody. Faults to all (minus special teams) on last year's debacle, not just JP although he is deserving of some parts of it but certainly not all of it and don't think for a second that this kid with all of his swagger did not take his demotion to heart. The question is will he use that to better himself for this team or let it get the best of him.
Anyway, that's it. Thanks.

:10: :up:

LtBillsFan66
03-22-2006, 08:35 AM
Wys is a scumbag.

justasportsfan
03-22-2006, 08:36 AM
Wys is a scumbag.
:snicker: Are you still walking around wearing a knee protector?

lynobx
03-22-2006, 08:47 AM
I think the signing of Royal, to go along with Euhus and a very fast and athletic Everett, makes the choice of Davis at number 8 highly unlikely.

Mski
03-22-2006, 08:51 AM
I think the signing of Royal, to go along with Euhus and a very fast and athletic Everett, makes the choice of Davis at number 8 highly unlikely.

You may have a point there but who wants to pass up the chance at ""the next great"" anyway Cleveland couldnt walk away from that and even moved up to get winslow, and look where that got them, 4 starts in two years and a player who isnt smart enough that to wear a helmet while trying to do ""tricks"" on a motorcycle?

BigZ
03-22-2006, 09:03 AM
Good post and good thread!

:beers:

Earthquake Enyart
03-22-2006, 09:45 AM
:hitself:

I miss wys like I miss blohawk. :down:

Wys (http://www.afceastreport.com/)