PDA

View Full Version : Fowler contract numbers

Dicknoze69
03-21-2006, 10:46 PM
Buffalo showdown: Even though the Bills gave wide receiver Eric Moulds the ability to shop himself in a trade, general manager Marv Levy doesn't want him to leave. Levy is banking on Moulds not being able to find a trading partner and will be willing to take a pay cut to stay with Buffalo. Moulds has a $10.855 million salary cap numbers, but refuses to take a pay cut because he wants to be released. Meanwhile, the Bills reached a three-year, $7.2 million deal with former Vikings center Melvin Fowler, who will probably take over the starting center job for Trey Teague. The Bills aren't making much of an effort to re-sign Teague, who is an unrestricted free agent. Fowler also had been talking to the Saints.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=clayton_john#20060321

per John Clayton

Italian Stallion
03-21-2006, 10:54 PM
Bills | Contract update: M. Fowler
Tue, 21 Mar 2006 20:38:40 -0800

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports OL Melvin Fowler reached a three-year, $7.2 million contract agreement with the Buffalo Bills. He will probably take over the starting center job for free agent OC Trey Teague (Bills), who is not expected to re-sign.

Not bad money at all.....If he turns out to be good for us, this could be the best free agent signing of the offseason.

clumping platelets
03-21-2006, 11:01 PM
Overpaid....

patmoran2006
03-21-2006, 11:06 PM
$2.4 million per year for a center with nine starts?

He BETTER be starting at center over Preston for that kind money. It's nice to see Marv start to address the OL .... But eff the depth, this guy BETTER be a starter for $7.2 over three years..

Hopefully this is the first of at LEAST another OL move before the draft... Gimme Neal and I'll be a lot more optimistic about the line.

Fowler.. Is a start.. Dont know what we're getting with him, but i like the move.

Mr. Pink
03-21-2006, 11:20 PM
2.4 million per year? Not bad for a former Botch Davis' draftpick!

Night Train
03-22-2006, 02:16 AM
Overpaid....

I would have said that 2-3 years ago but not anymore. 53 players and 107 Mil. So basically 2 Mil a player roster average these days.

Guys like Josh Reed, Royal, Fowler etc., who will start or see tons of action...making 2 Mil a year ? That's not overpaying anymore. It's a reflection of the new salary structure. When the cap rises 27 % in 1 off-season, the salaries will adjust with it.

Romes
03-22-2006, 06:45 AM
Overpaid....

seems to be the theme of this offseason :(

That Guy
03-22-2006, 06:51 AM
Overpaid....
How many decent linemen have signed for less money than that this offseason?

ICE74129
03-22-2006, 07:35 AM
See this is the problem with the board...'Overpaid'. I watch the Bills, Panthers, and other teams as well. Once the Bills are over ( I usually record the panthers if playing at the same time) I stay with other fans and BS with them, watch several games etc. Its being a FOOTBALL fan.

That said I guess I am one of the few that gets to see other players around the league. I say this because Fowlers contract is dead on. he is a good center that is only getting better AND is on his way up. My Brother ( the Vikes lifer) says they knew they couldn't keep him because after the way he played, he is a starter in this league and a good one to boot! The Vikes Probowl Center is returning this year BTW.

This is a damn good signing, you will see. and I agree it seems DJ, JMac and co see preston (another TD signing) as a Backup only both at Center and Guard.

HHURRICANE
03-22-2006, 07:44 AM
See this is the problem with the board...'Overpaid'. I watch the Bills, Panthers, and other teams as well. Once the Bills are over ( I usually record the panthers if playing at the same time) I stay with other fans and BS with them, watch several games etc. Its being a FOOTBALL fan.

This is a damn good signing, you will see. and I agree it seems DJ, JMac and co see preston (another TD signing) as a Backup only both at Center and Guard.

Ice, good call here. I have been saying all along that Duke is not a starting Center. Maybe he can be down the road but not this year. Trey Teague was horrible so this is definately an upgrade.

ghz in pittsburgh
03-22-2006, 08:07 AM
A little high for me, though I'd like to see the break down of the $7.2 million before I say it's high.

My main concern is his stint with the Browns - I saw a few games when he played against the Steelers. Usually a young player shows his hands in the 3rd year (good or not) and the Browns traded him to the Vikings after his 3rd year.

Granted he showed something in his 4th year at Vikings and McNally obviously likes him. So we'll see how he pans out. The dollar amount does suggest strongly, though, that he'll be penciled in as a starter.

ps: Remeber that 3rd year general guide line - Losman, Tim Anderson, Euhus, McFarland, Jonathan Smith all entering their 3rd year. They should be reaching their first NFL peak, sort of speaking.

Michael82
03-22-2006, 10:43 AM
Thank God that Duke Preston won't be starting at Center. :phew:

J TES
03-22-2006, 08:15 PM
How many decent linemen have signed for less money than that this offseason?
This thread is about Fowler, not decent O-Lineman