PDA

View Full Version : I didn't know this....

Earthquake Enyart
03-22-2006, 08:54 AM
Nall is familiar with several Bills players — receiver Josh Reed and newly signed tight end Robert Royal. All three played college together at LSU.

From the Toronto Star....

Gunzlingr
03-22-2006, 09:00 AM
:scratch:

Jersey1031
03-22-2006, 09:02 AM
Interesting...

Mudflap1
03-22-2006, 09:28 AM
Great... that means Nall didn't even start in college... it was Matt Mauck...

Jon

jmb1099
03-22-2006, 10:03 AM
It is very interesting to say the least

Ickybaluky
03-22-2006, 10:12 AM
Great... that means Nall didn't even start in college... it was Matt Mauck...

Nall was at LSU when Saban coached there. He was behind Josh Booty and Rohan Davey on the depth chart.

He became frustrated and transferred to Northwestern State. He started there.

pintonick96
03-22-2006, 11:45 AM
Nall was at LSU when Saban coached there. He was behind Josh Booty and Rohan Davey on the depth chart.

He became frustrated and transferred to Northwestern State. He started there.

No, I heard on Bob Matthews last night that in Spring Practice he beat out Davey AND Booty for the starting job. Apparently Booty is a Lousiana football GOD and the fans made sure the coach thought so. At halftime of the opener, Nall was benched for Booty. He stuck with the team and even offered to move to WR. The coaches said no. Against rival Florida his senior year he was regulated to holder for FGs, and broke his finger taking a practice snap. He finally transferred out.

Mudflap1
03-22-2006, 11:58 AM
Do you really believe that Nick Saban would put a guy from starter to third string because the fans said so? Bottom line: he was not the backup, he was the THIRD string QB on LSU. Great.

Jon

DraftBoy
03-22-2006, 12:01 PM
Saban as a college coach is much different than Saban as a pro coach. College coaches are bound by some degree of what the fans and alumni want. Booty is a football god in LA and there he was never not going to be the starter regardless of who would look good in spring drills.

Mudflap1
03-22-2006, 12:09 PM
Why was he third string then? Because he was that good? Look, if Marv signed this guy to be a reserve QB, fine, but this guy is not starter material...

Jon

DraftBoy
03-22-2006, 12:24 PM
Why was he third string then? Because he was that good? Look, if Marv signed this guy to be a reserve QB, fine, but this guy is not starter material...

Jon

Well when your on the team with brett favre then your not gonna be 1st string and he was the next in line to take over for Favre until Rodgers nosedived to GB in the draft. Atleast get your facts straight, he wasnt third string bc he sucked it was a matter of circumstance.

Mr. Pink
03-22-2006, 12:27 PM
Well when your on the team with brett favre then your not gonna be 1st string and he was the next in line to take over for Favre until Rodgers nosedived to GB in the draft. Atleast get your facts straight, he wasnt third string bc he sucked it was a matter of circumstance.

So they only took Rodgers because he was there...not because they didn't have faith in Nall taking over for Favre? Right. That's why they tried to bring in Tim Couch and Akili Smith at different times to try and be Favres' eventual successor. Neither panning out, obviously. No offense Mud has a point here, he was the 3rd stringer because lets' face it he really wasn't starting qb material. Plain and simple.

patmoran2006
03-22-2006, 12:30 PM
I have nothing against Nall personally, but I think people are looking too much into it.. I know Marv said he'll have a chance to start but If JP Losman can't beat out a career backup who's barely been a starter since High School, then this football team is in a world of trouble.

DraftBoy
03-22-2006, 12:32 PM
I have nothing against Nall personally, but I think people are looking too much into it.. I know Marv said he'll have a chance to start but If JP Losman can't beat out a career backup who's barely been a starter since High School, then this football team is in a world of trouble.

Well Levy said today Nall will compete in TC for the starting job so take it for what its worth.

Mudflap1
03-22-2006, 12:49 PM
1. Nall hasn't started since high school. I don't care what you say about Saban being told he had to start Booty (which I don't buy at all -- would LSU alumni rather have the best guy in there so they can win, or some homer in there so they are mediocre?), he was 3rd string at LSU and has been a career backup in the NFL, that's not something that jumps out at me and says "let's start him in Buffalo."

2. Nall was NOT the heir apparent to Brett Favre. Green Bay wanted Losman. Then, last year, they wanted Rodgers. He fell to them and they got him. They are probably still looking for other guys. Is Nall there now? Has anybody ever said on ESPN, Fox Sports, etc. that Nall is this diamond in the rough that was a darkhorse to replace Favre? No.

3. The most important topic, where the Buffalo Bills stand in this whole thing. If we are going with Nall as a legitimate projected possible starter, that is scary. I'm willing to give the guy a shot and support him, but c'mon, let's get real! On any other team in the NFL, he would be cannon fodder as a backup. I agree with Pat here. If we draft a QB early, then Losman is out and Holcomb/Nall compete to be the caretaker until the rookie can step in (whether that is this year or not). If we do not draft a QB early, it's gotta be Losman or else this season doesn't make any sense. And I'm a guy who thought it was wrong to hand Losman the job unconditionally last season.

The bottom line is, I'm willing to give Nall a chance. You can't judge a book by it's cover. But let's get real here and not expect this guy to be starter material. He hasn't been a starter since high school. You are either starter material or not. This guy appears, at first glance, to be absolutely NOT!

Jon