PDA

View Full Version : Levy says Nall was brought in to try and win the starting QB job

DraftBoy
03-22-2006, 12:29 PM
Bills | Levy says Nall will compete for starting QB job
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 10:07:25 -0800

Leo Roth, of the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle, reports Buffalo Bills general manager Marv Levy said that Bills QB Craig Nall will compete with QBs Kelly Holcomb and J.P. Losman for the team's starting quarterback position. "It is wide open, and Craig is in the picture just as much as the other two," said Levy. "We're not bring anybody in to elbow somebody else out of the way, now to go to work fellas."

OpIv37
03-22-2006, 12:32 PM
Fine with me- let them compete in camp and pre-season, so whoever plays best with the system and personnel is under center on opening day. I'd love to see Losman succeed, but not as much as I want to see the Bills win. If Losman never amounts to anything, I'm just gonna chalk it up to one last bad move by Tom Donahoe.

patmoran2006
03-22-2006, 12:43 PM
Fine with me- let them compete in camp and pre-season, so whoever plays best with the system and personnel is under center on opening day. I'd love to see Losman succeed, but not as much as I want to see the Bills win. If Losman never amounts to anything, I'm just gonna chalk it up to one last bad move by Tom Donahoe.

Correct, and if teams continue to pound the ball down our throats, I"ll chalk it up as the FIRST bad move by Marv Levy for letting Sam Adams go and not pairing him with Tripplett.

I think MOST of us will agree Losman deserves a FULL YEAR audition to see what he really has.. If he has Holcomb or Nall just waiting the first time he plays a bad game.. I HATE that and I"d hate to be Losman.

That's the ONLY thing that inclines me to wish we didnt sign Nall and had taken Young or Cutler.. After their first year, there wouldnt have been ANY DOUBT about who was starting every week.

mybills
03-22-2006, 01:16 PM
So much for the "Shopping JP" report. :chuckle:

G. Host
03-22-2006, 06:45 PM
Shopping JP? Not going to get much so far as he has shown and better to invest pick in a QB less damaged and with more years on contract.

Now we will have a 1a, 1b and 1c QB each playing 4 games a year. I hope Nail is a needle in the haystack. I'd rather have drafted a 3-5 round QB but I am assuming they know more than I do as usual. Does make it easier to trade one I think although Bills may not get much. None of them are going to want to be #3.

ICE74129
03-22-2006, 06:56 PM
Here is where We are at....

JP most likely can become a great NFL QB. Has the heart, mind (31 wonderlic) and the tools. The thing is, He needs a full season as a starter to get used to the game.

Here is the problem, Ralph, Marv and DJ say tough. YES they fully well know that is hands down what is best, but ralph has a mandate...get to 'Win now' ASAP. This is a two offseason process but Marv isn't going to take 2 offseasons to deal with the QB.

JP to win this job now has to become in my estimation at least 3 years further along in his decision making, and maturity. if he doesn't he is done. Done = cut, traded, or benched. IMHO he has ONE shot to become the starter. If he doesn't do it this year I doubt we keep him for the last/4th year of his contract next year.

My choice all along has been, cut holcomb, bring in a true #2 like Reich was. Draft a kid in rounds 3-7. Let JP have this year period. Build up the team around him so if it doesn't work out, then with the cap room we have next year we can make a move for a QB if need be. Marv disagrees.

I will say this, if you guys think for one minute there is really a 3 way comp, I have a much better car than Pat does to sell you. No way in hell we can have 2 guys spit snaps and either get ready, now they expect 3 to do so?

And lastly this goes against the Marv way of thinking. He has always been 'pick a guy and go with him'. It also went against how marv talked this year when he did some interviews with WGR etc a couple times after Bills games. He was big on sticking with JP and letting him ride it out. I don't know where the word 'Competition' came in all of a sudden.

ICE74129
03-22-2006, 06:59 PM
Correct, and if teams continue to pound the ball down our throats, I"ll chalk it up as the FIRST bad move by Marv Levy for letting Sam Adams go and not pairing him with Tripplett.

I think MOST of us will agree Losman deserves a FULL YEAR audition to see what he really has.. If he has Holcomb or Nall just waiting the first time he plays a bad game.. I HATE that and I"d hate to be Losman.

That's the ONLY thing that inclines me to wish we didnt sign Nall and had taken Young or Cutler.. After their first year, there wouldnt have been ANY DOUBT about who was starting every week.

Who has sam signed with again? No one? Apperantly it wasn't that bad a move. No one has beat down his door to get him.

The_Philster
03-22-2006, 07:01 PM
Marv has to remember 1997...his final year in which he had Collins and Hobert battling it out in camp for the starting spot :ill: Not saying that either one of them would've turned out great had we stuck with one in camp, but the way it was handled had to have hurt both QBs

ICE74129
03-22-2006, 07:11 PM
Marv has to remember 1997...his final year in which he had Collins and Hobert battling it out in camp for the starting spot :ill: Not saying that either one of them would've turned out great had we stuck with one in camp, but the way it was handled had to have hurt both QBs

I know. and Marv has seen the last 7 years that QB comps NEVER produce a damn good starter. Pick ONE guy and stick with him. But here is the deal phil....I think Marv just did. I may be wrong, I am willing right now to admit that, but I don't think Ralph likes nor wants JP. I think he is sick of hearing about JP and Would rather go with Nall.

Bill Brasky
03-22-2006, 07:15 PM
This sounds like a collaboration of everything I've been saying recently.

I honestly don't see Nall even making it to 2nd on the depth chart, this is just added "push" for JP or Kelly to "earn" the starting nod.

This is JP's make or break year, if he doesn't prove himself he is all but done in Buffalo. I guarentee it.

Sadly, I think JP is done. There isn't enough of a team around him to help a young QB develop.

We know what we are going to see out of Holcomb, one or two good games with several terrible games.

With JP, the verdict is still in the balance. This team hasn't improved enough on offense, and the loss of Moulds will further hinder any chance JP has at truely developing around an offense.

Moulds may not be JP's number 1 target, but taking him out of the lineup will allow teams to double up on Evans, leaving guys like Reed and Parrish as the only other options. We know what we can expect out of Reed, Parrish is still a question mark, and Davis isn't a legit #2.

This coming year will see more of the same. Teams stacking the box, shutting down Willis, and trying to make the Bills beat them through the air. With the loss of Moulds, it will become even harder for whoever is behind center, especially if it's #7.

It almost seems like they are not giving JP a fair shot at success here. Almost like they want him out so they can bring in "their" guy.

Think about it. If they truely had confidence in him they wouldn't be making moves like bringing in Nall to compete. If a GM or HC thinks a guy who was 3rd on the depth chart on some other team can win the starting job here, that speaks volumes about our current QB situation.

G. Host
03-22-2006, 07:18 PM

So JP is Collins and Holcomb is Hobert? Then I choose #3 which is Van Pelt aka Nail.

Sticking with one QB despite the QB sucking just results in QB sucking.

ICE74129
03-22-2006, 07:22 PM
So JP is Collins and Holcomb is Hobert? Then I choose #3 which is Van Pelt aka Nail.

Sticking with one QB despite the QB sucking just results in QB sucking.

Depends on the age of the QB and his time in the league. By your standards there would only be two Great QB's in history....Marino and Rothlesburger.

ICE74129
03-22-2006, 07:24 PM
This sounds like a collaboration of everything I've been saying recently.

I honestly don't see Nall even making it to 2nd on the depth chart, this is just added "push" for JP or Kelly to "earn" the starting nod.

This is JP's make or break year, if he doesn't prove himself he is all but done in Buffalo. I guarentee it.

Sadly, I think JP is done. There isn't enough of a team around him to help a young QB develop.

We know what we are going to see out of Holcomb, one or two good games with several terrible games.

With JP, the verdict is still in the balance. This team hasn't improved enough on offense, and the loss of Moulds will further hinder any chance JP has at truely developing around an offense.

Moulds may not be JP's number 1 target, but taking him out of the lineup will allow teams to double up on Evans, leaving guys like Reed and Parrish as the only other options. We know what we can expect out of Reed, Parrish is still a question mark, and Davis isn't a legit #2.

This coming year will see more of the same. Teams stacking the box, shutting down Willis, and trying to make the Bills beat them through the air. With the loss of Moulds, it will become even harder for whoever is behind center, especially if it's #7.

It almost seems like they are not giving JP a fair shot at success here. Almost like they want him out so they can bring in "their" guy.

Think about it. If they truely had confidence in him they wouldn't be making moves like bringing in Nall to compete. If a GM or HC thinks a guy who was 3rd on the depth chart on some other team can win the starting job here, that speaks volumes about our current QB situation.

Good post. As for as Evans, All #1's deal with double teams. Time to step up and deal with them.

JP, I agree if they felt they were really going to give JP a shot, nall wouldn't be here. I will say this though....Nall starts or is 2nd on the roster and it won't be to holcomb. The Bills know he wont' get them where they want to go. Honestly? Nall will beat holcomb hands down. Reads D's as good but gets the ball deeper with a stronger arm. Holcomb can't beat Nall IMHO. So it's JP or nall.

ScottLawrence
03-22-2006, 07:28 PM
Good post. As for as Evans, All #1's deal with double teams. Time to step up and deal with them.

JP, I agree if they felt they were really going to give JP a shot, nall wouldn't be here. I will say this though....Nall starts or is 2nd on the roster and it won't be to holcomb. The Bills know he wont' get them where they want to go. Honestly? Nall will beat holcomb hands down. Reads D's as good but gets the ball deeper with a stronger arm. Holcomb can't beat Nall IMHO. So it's JP or nall.

If you really think the quarterback position is all about arm strength, Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, and Cade McNown would still be in the league.

I'd be suprised if JP beats out Holcomb, let alone Nall.

Bill Brasky
03-22-2006, 07:29 PM

This is how I feel as well. Things really aren't looking good for Losman in BLO.

As far as Evans, I think he is worthy of being a #1 WR, but he still is young. I don't know if he can successfully handle double teams yet.

This could be a miserable year for him. A wishy-washy QB situation, no viable #2 to take some coverages off him, and teams will no-doubtedly be looking to stack the box to take away the run like they did against the Bills last year.

Defenses will lock him down, take out the run, and rush whoever the QB is. With the current situation (Moulds and Evans) it allows him to get open and get down field, which is what he's good at, and the Bills could count on Moulds to take coverages off Evans, thus allowing him to play his type of game.

Putting him into the #1 slot with essentially no help isn't good for Evans or the team.

We all know Moulds will be gone, but the situation that leaves the Bills in is not a good one.

ICE74129
03-22-2006, 07:32 PM
If you really think the quarterback position is all about arm strength, Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, and Cade McNown would still be in the league.

I'd be suprised if JP beats out Holcomb, let alone Nall.

We all know your love fest with holcomb and hate for JP. Learn to read before responding to a post of mine again.

ICE74129
03-22-2006, 07:34 PM
This is how I feel as well. Things really aren't looking good for Losman in BLO.

As far as Evans, I think he is worthy of being a #1 WR, but he still is young. I don't know if he can successfully handle double teams yet.

This could be a miserable year for him. A wishy-washy QB situation, no viable #2 to take some coverages off him, and teams will no-doubtedly be looking to stack the box to take away the run like they did against the Bills last year.

Defenses will lock him down, take out the run, and rush whoever the QB is. With the current situation (Moulds and Evans) it allows him to get open and get down field, which is what he's good at, and the Bills could count on Moulds to take coverages off Evans, thus allowing him to play his type of game.

Putting him into the #1 slot with essentially no help isn't good for Evans or the team.

We all know Moulds will be gone, but the situation that leaves the Bills in is not a good one.

I am not ripping on you here so please dont think that. But Fans greatly underestimate Evans full potential. he is a GREAT route runner. But captain assclown MM just kept him running the same 3-4 routes and giving the bulk of the stuff to moulds. Evans will shock some people with his all around abilities IF allowed to use them.

I will say this, if he isn't allowed to fight for the #1 spot, look for him to leave as a FA after 07. The kid has more than enough talent and works more than hard enough to be a top #1 in this league.

Buffatexas
03-22-2006, 07:38 PM
I think with Andre Davis and Lee Evans we may have a 1a and 1b scenario with possibly Parrish\Reed in the slot. I haven't followed Davis' career but I hear he can stretch the field and is a burner like Evans. So if you are a defense, who gets the double team? Can't judge Everett/Royal at TE to claim that position a viable safety valve for the QB but if "JP Nallcomb" gets time back there we may be in a decent position.

Bill Brasky
03-22-2006, 07:39 PM
I am not ripping on you here so please dont think that. But Fans greatly underestimate Evans full potential. he is a GREAT route runner. But captain assclown MM just kept him running the same 3-4 routes and giving the bulk of the stuff to moulds. Evans will shock some people with his all around abilities IF allowed to use them.

I will say this, if he isn't allowed to fight for the #1 spot, look for him to leave as a FA after 07. The kid has more than enough talent and works more than hard enough to be a top #1 in this league.

No I generally agree with you on this thread :up:

I think it's a given that he will be the #1 once Moulds is gone, and rightly so because he's earned it. However, I feel that another year at the #2 spot would have done him a lot more good as oppossed to throwing him into the #1 spot on an offense with too many question marks.

He has the talent to be a dominant WR, but I don't think he'll get to showcase all he can do because he will be the only true weapon in a putrid passing game.

I think with Andre Davis and Lee Evans we may have a 1a and 1b scenario with possibly Parrish\Reed in the slot. I haven't followed Davis' career but I hear he can stretch the field and is a burner like Evans. So if you are a defense, who gets the double team? Can't judge Everett/Royal at TE to claim that position a viable safety valve for the QB but if "JP Nallcomb" gets time back there we may be in a decent position.

No way Davis is even close to Evans or earning a #1 spot. This guy is gonna have to battle just to make the 2nd slot. Evans is the #1 without question once Moulds is gone. After that, it's muddy waters. Any one Parrish, Davis, Reed, even Aiken or Smith could compete if they have a good camp.

ICE74129
03-22-2006, 07:42 PM
No I generally agree with you on this thread :up:

I think it's a given that he will be the #1 once Moulds is gone, and rightly so because he's earned it. However, I feel that another year at the #2 spot would have done him a lot more good as oppossed to throwing him into the #1 spot on an offense with too many question marks.

He has the talent to be a dominant WR, but I don't think he'll get to showcase all he can do because he will be the only true weapon in a putrid passing game.

No way Davis is even close to Evans or earning a #1 spot. This guy is gonna have to battle just to make the 2nd slot. Evans is the #1 without question once Moulds is gone. After that, it's muddy waters. Any one Parrish, Davis, Reed, even Aiken or Smith could compete if they have a good camp.

Nah! I am a 'throw them in the deep end' guy myself :roflmao:

ICE74129
03-22-2006, 07:44 PM
No way Davis is even close to Evans or earning a #1 spot. This guy is gonna have to battle just to make the 2nd slot. Evans is the #1 without question once Moulds is gone. After that, it's muddy waters. Any one Parrish, Davis, Reed, even Aiken or Smith could compete if they have a good camp.[/quote]

In all fairness though jf, I think Davis will shock some folks. Another player that due to injury just hasn't hit his stride yet. Once he does I think we have a damn good, Tall, Big, FAST #2 WR. But I like the fact Marv went one year to see how his injury is.

Bill Brasky
03-22-2006, 07:55 PM
I hope he beats out Reed at #2 :pray:

ICE74129
03-22-2006, 08:15 PM
I hope he beats out Reed at #2 :pray: Oh I feel he will. then again the Best WR coming out of the Best confrence in NCAA football (for that year when Reed was drafted) might just thrive in this offense.

Kerr
03-22-2006, 09:26 PM
Levy can say anything he wants. The fact is that Nall will not beat out Losman for the starting job. Nall will be entertaining jp on the sidelines as part of his contract declared.

ICE74129
03-22-2006, 09:28 PM
Levy can say anything he wants. The fact is that Nall will not beat out Losman for the starting job. Nall will be entertaining jp on the sidelines as part of his contract declared.

Only if JP improves my leaps and bounds. I just dont' think Levy wants JP. Either way holcomb starts and we are fugged beyond belief

John Doe
03-22-2006, 09:34 PM

I have not heard Marv say anything about yanking his starting QB after a bad game.

If competition bothers Losman, then he is not starting material.

tat2dmike77
03-22-2006, 11:07 PM
Negative nancys need to :stfu:

All this whinnning and crying about crap is getting old. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH the bills didn't sign who i wanted them to WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH the bills signed anthor QB deal with you panises.

Maybe Marv and ralph have a plan and maybe not. If you wanna go be a pats fan then go. If you wanna go be a cowfags fan then go. If you wanna be a bills fan then dig in with me and :stfu: stop the whinning and deal with it

G. Host
03-24-2006, 05:59 PM
Depends on the age of the QB and his time in the league. By your standards there would only be two Great QB's in history....Marino and Rothlesburger.

Nope. Farve was not a first round pick who was given the job and unable to keep it. I just do not give Collins II more credit than he has earned. I hope whomever wins in camp is able to keep the job because he plays well enough to keep it not because the size of the contract like Rob Johnson or because of round he was picked in.