PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Vilarriall?

patmoran2006
03-22-2006, 01:05 PM
If Marv is preaching youth to this offensive line, then I'm banking that it's only a short (very short) amount of time before this club says goodbye to Chris Villarrial.

* Will be 33 in June
* 11 Seasons of wear and tear
* $3.3 cap figure for 2006
* Cutting him would save to my knowledge, around $1.5 million in cap space.
* Hasn't played a full 16 games in 3 of last 4 seasons.
* Comes out of a lot of games due to wind and being knocked around
* His pass protection last year was dreadful. In his defense, so was everyone's.

With the signing of Fowler, you may see Preston as the new right guard...

This is a reason I dont buy into our "theory" that the line has to be young. We're not interested in guys like Larry Allen or Jon Runyan, who are both still PRO BOWLERS, yet this guy is still on our team?

I won't complain too much because I really don't think he'll be a Bill come September, NOT if we're sticking to what we're supossedly trying to do.

So either Preston is good enough to play guard or I think we need to pick up a pair of them, via FA or the draft.

Just odd he wasn't amongst the cuts and Adams and Milloy were as we make a committment to younger players "on the rise."

And Yes, I'm well aware that Villarrial played under Jauron.

Night Train
03-22-2006, 02:33 PM
Chris V. seems like he's starting to break down with constant leg injuries. When he did play last season, he looked bad in both run and pass blocking. People may have not noticed because Teague and Anderson were even worse !

I really don't know how the new admin. views him. It's hard to find 3 new interior lineman to start. Fowler is onboard but 2 new Guards ? Preston looked lost when trying to play Guard last season. I'm thinking they can find a good one in the draft but a vet needs to be signed, prior to the draft. They tipped their hand with the Wells offer sheet. They're worried about Guard and Chris V. may be nearing the end of his time in Buffalo.

Meathead
03-22-2006, 02:36 PM
plenty of guards left in facy and the draft

marv'll git er done

OpIv37
03-22-2006, 02:52 PM
Someone on this board said last season that Villarial is old and has had his last payday, so he's dogging it on the field. After the way he played last season, particularly in the Denver game, I tend to agree (on the last Bills drive of the half he gave up a sack and had penalties on consecutive plays).

If I had to choose between replacing either him or Gandy- I'd replace him and keep Gandy (although ideally we can upgrade bot positions).

Kerr
03-22-2006, 09:31 PM
Yes get rid of him.

camelcowboy
03-22-2006, 09:38 PM
He's injury prone, He seems to be hurt every game. If your going to blow it up then do it right. Him and Posey should be cut.

Kerr
03-22-2006, 10:57 PM
rep mafia are dorks. Just had to say that.

Historian
03-23-2006, 03:50 AM
* He stinks.

The_Philster
03-23-2006, 04:57 AM
Someone on this board said last season that Villarial is old and has had his last payday, so he's dogging it on the field. After the way he played last season, particularly in the Denver game, I tend to agree (on the last Bills drive of the half he gave up a sack and had penalties on consecutive plays).

If I had to choose between replacing either him or Gandy- I'd replace him and keep Gandy (although ideally we can upgrade bot positions).
Well, Gandy wasn't the big problem on the left side...it was Bennie "The Penalty" Anderson

YardRat
03-23-2006, 05:21 AM
Fowler's played guard, also, if I remember correctly. Preston may still be the center.

I wish we'd hear something about them making another run at Neal.