PDA

View Full Version : I miss Tom Donahoe!

Pride
03-22-2006, 02:58 PM
At least with him as Pres and GM, I looked forward to the upcoming season! If it were possible... I'd sleep through the 2006 season with the way this team/organization is looking!

TD was a lot of things.. but at least he instilled the idea that we were a team on the rise... every offseason! Levy and Jauron make me wanna slit my wrists!:unhappy:

OpIv37
03-22-2006, 03:06 PM
So, when Tom Donahoe let Pat Williams go and replaced him with no one, that made you feel like this team is on the rise?

When TD named a QB the starter with 0 NFL starts and no camp competition, that made you feel like this team is on the rise?

When TD picked two consecutive head coaches with no NFL HC experience, that made you feel like this team is on the rise?

When TD "fixed" the o-line by picking up the cheapest players he could find (rejects from other teams), that made you feel like this team is on the rise?

When TD picked skill player after skill player in the draft without addressing the OL or DL, that made you feel like this team is on the rise?

When TD brought in Pittsburgh crony after worthless Pittsburgh crony, that made you feel like this team is on the rise?

I'm sorry but the only thing TD did better than Levy was convince fans that he wasn't rebuilding (even though he should have been).

FlyingDutchman
03-22-2006, 03:06 PM
yeah but at least you wont be dissapointed if we do bad this year. I was getting sick of getting all pumped up and then let down. Anything good that comes out of the year will be a nice surprise! At least thats how it looks now. Theres still a lot of time between now and September.

Pride
03-22-2006, 03:08 PM
I agree he was a moron....

However... in the past 5 years, I have never felt so depressed about our football team than I do right now.

He was a GREAT illusionist... and for that I am thankful at least. Because right now... I am not even looking forward to 06..

TacklingDummy
03-22-2006, 03:10 PM
TD=Bill Clinton

ML=George Bush

OpIv37
03-22-2006, 03:11 PM
well I agree with you there- I have very little hope for this season as well. I was a little discouraged going into last season, but even I was never pessimistic enough to think we could go 5-11. This year is different....

It takes time for a new coach and GM to get their people/system in place. This year has disaster written all over it- I just hope they're building for the future (although that's little consolation for 06- the thought of another bad season is difficult to stomach).

OpIv37
03-22-2006, 03:12 PM
TD=Bill Clinton

ML=George Bush

So he's going to go invade the Dolphins' locker room looking for steroids, and when no dope is found he's going to claim that we invaded the Dolphins' locker room to end the brutal reign of Nick Saban?

HAMMER
03-22-2006, 03:15 PM
Another negative Bills thread, yippee, this place is soooo much fun.

OpIv37
03-22-2006, 03:18 PM
Another negative Bills thread, yippee, this place is soooo much fun.

5-11 last season.

.500 or worse in 4 of the last 5 seasons.

No playoffs in 6 years. No playoff wins in 10.

An O line that has consistently sucked for at least 6-7 years.

4 coaches in 6 years.

10 years spent searching for a starting QB.

Now, tell me again what we should be positive about?

Pride
03-22-2006, 03:19 PM
When something good actually happens to the Bills, I am sure someone will post it!

TacklingDummy
03-22-2006, 03:21 PM
So he's going to go invade the Dolphins' locker room looking for steroids, and when no dope is found he's going to claim that we invaded the Dolphins' locker room to end the brutal reign of Nick Saban?

No, Marv is going to send a secret spy (Mike Mularkey) over to the Dolphins.

TedMock
03-22-2006, 03:22 PM
yeah but at least you wont be dissapointed if we do bad this year. I was getting sick of getting all pumped up and then let down. Anything good that comes out of the year will be a nice surprise! At least thats how it looks now. Theres still a lot of time between now and September.

I agree. I'm for the first time content with an offseason. The roller coaster that was, could be interesting at times, but never really amounted to anything. We're bringing in young guys, whom the coaches and GM believe in. Guys who aren't household names, but have played well, and are young enough to continue their growth. It may not work out, but it's a different approach, and I'm refreshed by it. Of course, with youth, comes inexperience, and mistakes. We may have to sit through another tough developmental year. Or, dare I say...rebuilding year!

As fans, we're fed up. We're sick of our team sucking arse. We have completely lost all rationale, and all patience. Unfortunately, this is a new regime, with new people, and a new system. This in itself warrants our patience. It sucks, but it's completely unfair for us to expect miracles when the truth is so obvious. It's a fresh start, folks. We have to give this one the same patience we gave the others. I like it. I'm not going to compare us to the dynasty that is the New England Patriots, but maybe Marv is on to something similar. New England filled a good portion of their roster with quality guys who wanted to be hard-nose ball players. They didn't build the team on a bunch of high-profile "studs." Colvin and Dillon, and Harrison were big name FA's. They drafted both high and low on the lines, but only kept the team-first guys. They moved guys like Bruschi and Vrabel to different positions, and made them stars. The two most famous players on the team were a 6th round QB, and a NFLE Kicker. They won a SB with a back-up quality RB before Dillon was there. They built the passing game around a bunch of WR's that were "too small" to make an impact. Individually that was true, but collectively they won a few rings.

Be patient, give it time, see if these guys develope, and if they want to be here. Maybe JP is our guy for the next 10 years, that'd be great. Maybe Nall is the next Delhomme, Brunell, or Young who sat on the bench. Maybe there's a 6th rounder in this year's draft very much like Tom Brady. Maybe we find out they all suck, and draft Brady Quinn next year. Only time will tell. I'll be there opening day at 9 a.m. ready to rock and roll. I'm sure most of us will be.

TacklingDummy
03-22-2006, 03:23 PM
Now, tell me again what we should be positive about?

That its all in the past?

AndreReed83
03-22-2006, 03:29 PM
I don't miss TD at all. I don't know how anyone can be upset over this offseason after the last one we just had. We lost Jonas Jennings and Fat Pat. Got Bennie Anderson and Kelly Holcomb. Drafted an undersized wideout with our first pick when we already had Moulds, Evans, and Reed. There's a reason TD is sitting on his couch at home, pretending Mike Williams isn't a bust. I'll take Marv anyday.

TacklingDummy
03-22-2006, 03:30 PM
TD=Bill Clinton

ML=George Bush

we already knew you had no respect for Levy...then you compare him to that sack of ****?

lol thanks

patmoran2006
03-22-2006, 03:38 PM
At least with him as Pres and GM, I looked forward to the upcoming season! If it were possible... I'd sleep through the 2006 season with the way this team/organization is looking!

TD was a lot of things.. but at least he instilled the idea that we were a team on the rise... every offseason! Levy and Jauron make me wanna slit my wrists!:unhappy:

TD did one great thing for Buffalo, he built a GREAT defense: Spikes, Fletcher, Milloy, Vincent, Posey, Adams.

He promptly blew it in 2005 by letting Pat Williams walk and when TKO went down in week three it was over.

I do not miss Tom Donahoe.

I also do not endorse Marv Levy. If this was any other owner (I know better with Wilson) I"d have wanted a major play for Ron Wolffe.

I don't hate Marv. I know he bleeds Bills blue and will do the best job he can. But he's bringing a knife to a gun fight. I absolutely depise his choice of head coach (which I'm sure Ralph-o-nomics had a lot to do with)

Going the young, character route, I'd have rather had a young coach like Mangini or ESPECIALLY Bates on board.

We always miss the boat on coaches, with the exception of Marv. If we are trying to go the "New England" route as I hear every day on here, then Mangini (spelling) should have been the OVER-WHELMING choice. I'd also ahve been thrilled with Bates, who's learned the craft under Parcells or Kubiak, who learned for a long time under Shannahan.

I don't blame Marv for this as I know Wilson aint paying that kind of money for a head coach.

To me DIck Jauron is a coach where you have a veteran team and you're trying to make an immediate run, plus you BETTER have a good defense. For IE- if the Vikings were looking for a coach he'd be a good fit there, or Tampa Bay.

This might sound crazy, but Mularkey screwed this whole FO by NOT quitting if he was going to anyway the day that TD was fired.

I can almost guarentee you that had that happened, Marv Levy would be our head coach, and Tom Modrak would be the GM.

With Marv as head coach, we would have been IMPACT players in free agency as that guy can manage a bunch of egos better than any coach i've ever seen.

And I'd feel a hell of a lot better with Modrak making the final decisions on FA's. I know he's involved now, but it would be different. Modrak reminds me a lot of Savage from Cleveland, I was very dissapointed when he wasn't promoted.

If Modrak was the GM, I'd bet my life we'd have gotten at least two if not more impact FA's on the OL and 1-2 impact players on defense.

Marv would be coach, we'd have landed a vet QB like Collins or Griese and we would have taken our run a lot sooner than later.

One last thing, I know Marv wouldn't have been a long term coach, but an assistant would have been found to work under him he would've molded his philosophies on over 2-3 years.

Just my opinion, but that's where this organization fumbled.. "In over his head" Gm and a recycled head coach. :2cents:

lordofgun
03-22-2006, 03:43 PM
I can't remember the last time I was this optimistic about the Bills' future.

patmoran2006
03-22-2006, 03:46 PM
I could.. the year after they lost to the Giants in the Super Bowl.
And the year after that.
and after that.
(and after that)

ICE74129
03-22-2006, 04:08 PM

31-49 Under TD. That is all that needs to be said.

Mr. Cynical
03-22-2006, 04:30 PM
At least with him as Pres and GM, I looked forward to the upcoming season!

Negged.

And when my rep counter frees up, negged again.

Mr. Cynical
03-22-2006, 04:32 PM

I see someone still has some of TD's Kool Aid left in the fridge.

Mr B
03-22-2006, 05:14 PM
I agree he was a moron....

However... in the past 5 years, I have never felt so depressed about our football team than I do right now.

He was a GREAT illusionist... and for that I am thankful at least. Because right now... I am not even looking forward to 06..

At first I thought you were joking about this. I feel better about the Bills now than I have in years. There isn't going to be any sales job this season. Levy and Juron are going to build a team with players that want to play in Buffalo.

How can you be depressed about the Bills leadership when the team haven't played one game yet? Could it have gotten any worse than last season?

ICE74129
03-22-2006, 05:16 PM

See that is the problem LOG. Fans want NOW NOW NOW! 'We have suffered the last 6 years blah blah blah'. So what? That has nothing to do with Marv. The man, nor ANY GM, can turn the BILLS around in one offseason. We can get better, but this is a two offseason turn around.

but I agree the FUTURE is looking better.

Mr. Cynical
03-22-2006, 05:45 PM
See that is the problem LOG. Fans want NOW NOW NOW! 'We have suffered the last 6 years blah blah blah'. So what? That has nothing to do with Marv. The man, nor ANY GM, can turn the BILLS around in one offseason. We can get better, but this is a two offseason turn around.

but I agree the FUTURE is looking better.

I don't expect now, now, now. I am patient. But I'm not sure how the future is looking better with an 87 yr old owner, an 80 yr old GM and a Dick for a coach. We got better by subtraction, e.g., TD and MM were horrendous, so I guess that's something.

But this FO is not built for the long term. How many years do you really think :fogey: and :fogey: have left in football? IMHO, if we don't win in the next 3 years, we're going to see a new owner, which then means a new GM, which then means a new coach, which then means another rebuild, which then means another couple of years before we have a chance.

chernobylwraiths
03-22-2006, 05:55 PM
TD=Bill Clinton

ML=George Bush

we already knew you had no respect for Levy...then you compare him to that sack of ****?

lol thanks

Are we arguing with ourselves?

PromoTheRobot
03-22-2006, 06:55 PM
Trying peeing in your pants. It'll give you that same warm feeling you seem to be looking for.

PTR

ICE74129
03-22-2006, 07:02 PM
I don't expect now, now, now. I am patient. But I'm not sure how the future is looking better with an 87 yr old owner, an 80 yr old GM and a Dick for a coach. We got better by subtraction, e.g., TD and MM were horrendous, so I guess that's something.

But this FO is not built for the long term. How many years do you really think :fogey: and :fogey: have left in football? IMHO, if we don't win in the next 3 years, we're going to see a new owner, which then means a new GM, which then means a new coach, which then means another rebuild, which then means another couple of years before we have a chance.

So marv should have said no to Ralph? Would you have to become the GM? Bottom line nothing changes until ralph isn't able to run the team and is forced to sell or , God forbid, He passes away and the family allows it to be bought.

Billsrock4life
03-22-2006, 08:13 PM

Your kiddin me right? letting him go was the right move he made way 2 many mistakes and let ppl go that he shouldnt of

Mr. Cynical
03-23-2006, 07:40 PM
So marv should have said no to Ralph? Would you have to become the GM? Bottom line nothing changes until ralph isn't able to run the team and is forced to sell or , God forbid, He passes away and the family allows it to be bought.

No...Ralph should never have asked Marv. It was a desperate attempt by a desperate old man to create a comfort zone for himself. Ralph doesn't have the fortitude...mentally or physically...to try again with someone new.

Sorry if that sounds harsh but it is more than likely the truth.

So what I said still holds true - this FO is a "win now", not "win down the road". It's just not resonable to think we'll have a 92 year old owner with an 85 year old GM.

Three years. That's the window before we go through another complete overhaul from top to bottom (which then means another 2-3 years at best to become a challenger). So, if this regime blows it, we can expect to make a run in 2012, more or less.

ParanoidAndroid
03-23-2006, 08:08 PM
Personally, I can't wait until Marv drafts. He had a lot of influence when we drafted:
Jim Kelly
Frank Reich
Andre Reed
Bruce Smith
Thurman Thomas
Will Wolford
Mark Pike
Howard Ballard
Shane Conlan
Jeff Wright
Carlton Bailey
Don Beebe
Carwell Gardener
Glenn Parker
Al Edwards
Henry Jones
Phil Hansen

I'll reserve judgement until after a couple of years. If we suck and we're letting go of the players he has acquired, then I'll say he messed up. But if we are winning and most of these acquisitions are still here, then I guess he was right.

SquishDaFish
03-23-2006, 08:27 PM
Pride please PUT DOWN THE CRACKPIPE AND STEP AWAY LOL

The_Philster
03-23-2006, 08:30 PM
Personally, I can't wait until Marv drafts. He had a lot of influence when we drafted:
Jim Kelly
Frank Reich
Andre Reed
Bruce Smith
Thurman Thomas
Will Wolford
Mark Pike
Howard Ballard
Shane Conlan
Jeff Wright
Carlton Bailey
Don Beebe
Carwell Gardener
Glenn Parker
Al Edwards
Henry Jones
Phil Hansen

I'll reserve judgement until after a couple of years. If we suck and we're letting go of the players he has acquired, then I'll say he messed up. But if we are winning and most of these acquisitions are still here, then I guess he was right.uhh...not all those players were selected during Marv's tenure...which started in 1986
Jim Kelly-1983
Frank Reich-1985
Andre Reed-1985
Bruce Smith-1985

BrunnyJ
03-23-2006, 08:39 PM
TD=Bill Clinton

ML=George Bush

I sure would like to see what ML's Patriot act would involve?

Mr. Cynical
03-23-2006, 09:05 PM
Jim Kelly
Frank Reich
Andre Reed
Bruce Smith
Thurman Thomas
Will Wolford
Mark Pike
Howard Ballard
Shane Conlan
Jeff Wright
Carlton Bailey
Don Beebe
Carwell Gardener
Glenn Parker
Al Edwards
Henry Jones
Phil Hansen

I'll reserve judgement until after a couple of years. If we suck and we're letting go of the players he has acquired, then I'll say he messed up. But if we are winning and most of these acquisitions are still here, then I guess he was right.

IMO those were more Polian's doing than Marv's. Drafting players is one of the primary roles for a GM. Not saying Marv didn't play a hand but if you have to credit someone, it should be Polian.

Here's a look at the Butler/Levy drafts post-Polian, until Marv retired in '97.

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg0 align=left><TD class=bg0 colSpan=5>1994 (http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/years/1994)</TD></TR><TR class=bg1 align=left><TD>Rd</TD><TD>Sel#</TD><TD>Player</TD><TD>Pos.</TD><TD>School</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=right>27</TD><TD align=left>Jeff Burris</TD><TD align=left>CB</TD><TD align=left>Notre Dame</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>2</TD><TD align=right>48</TD><TD align=left>Bucky Brooks</TD><TD align=left>WR</TD><TD align=left>North Carolina</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>2</TD><TD align=right>61</TD><TD align=left>Lonnie Johnson</TD><TD align=left>TE</TD><TD align=left>Florida State</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>2</TD><TD align=right>64</TD><TD align=left>Sam Rogers</TD><TD align=left>OLB</TD><TD align=left>Colorado</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>3</TD><TD align=right>81</TD><TD align=left>Marlo Perry</TD><TD align=left>LB</TD><TD align=left>Jackson State</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>3</TD><TD align=right>98</TD><TD align=left>Corey Louchiey</TD><TD align=left>T</TD><TD align=left>South Carolina</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>4</TD><TD align=right>130</TD><TD align=left>Sean Crocker</TD><TD align=left>DB</TD><TD align=left>North Carolina</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>5</TD><TD align=right>158</TD><TD align=left>A.J. Ofodile</TD><TD align=left>TE</TD><TD align=left>Missouri</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>6</TD><TD align=right>188</TD><TD align=left>Anthony Abrams</TD><TD align=left>DE</TD><TD align=left>Clark Atlanta</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>6</TD><TD align=right>192</TD><TD align=left>Kevin Knox</TD><TD align=left>WR</TD><TD align=left>Florida State</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>7</TD><TD align=right>221</TD><TD align=left>Filmel Johnson</TD><TD align=left>DB</TD><TD align=left>Illinois</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD class=bg3 align=left colSpan=5> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg0 align=left><TD class=bg0 colSpan=5>1995 (http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/years/1995)</TD></TR><TR class=bg1 align=left><TD>Rd</TD><TD>Sel#</TD><TD>Player</TD><TD>Pos.</TD><TD>School</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=right>14</TD><TD align=left>Ruben Brown</TD><TD align=left>G</TD><TD align=left>Pittsburgh</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>2</TD><TD align=right>45</TD><TD align=left>Todd Collins</TD><TD align=left>QB</TD><TD align=left>Michigan</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>3</TD><TD align=right>76</TD><TD align=left>Marlon Kerner</TD><TD align=left>DB</TD><TD align=left>Ohio State</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>3</TD><TD align=right>96</TD><TD align=left>Damien Covington</TD><TD align=left>LB</TD><TD align=left>North Carolina State</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>4</TD><TD align=right>109</TD><TD align=left>Ken Irvin</TD><TD align=left>CB</TD><TD align=left>Memphis</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>4</TD><TD align=right>113</TD><TD align=left>Justin Armour</TD><TD align=left>WR</TD><TD align=left>Stanford</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>4</TD><TD align=right>131</TD><TD align=left>Tony Cline</TD><TD align=left>TE</TD><TD align=left>Stanford</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>5</TD><TD align=right>144</TD><TD align=left>John Holecek</TD><TD align=left>MLB</TD><TD align=left>Illinois</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>6</TD><TD align=right>185</TD><TD align=left>Shannon Clavelle</TD><TD align=left>DE</TD><TD align=left>Colorado</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>7</TD><TD align=right>221</TD><TD align=left>Tom Nutten</TD><TD align=left>G</TD><TD align=left>Western Michigan</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>7</TD><TD align=right>244</TD><TD align=left>Darick Holmes</TD><TD align=left>RB</TD><TD align=left>Portland State</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD class=bg3 align=left colSpan=5></TD></TR><TR class=bg0 align=left><TD class=bg0 colSpan=5>1996 (http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/years/1996)</TD></TR><TR class=bg1 align=left><TD>Rd</TD><TD>Sel#</TD><TD>Player</TD><TD>Pos.</TD><TD>School</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=right>24</TD><TD align=left>Eric Moulds</TD><TD align=left>WR</TD><TD align=left>Mississippi State</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>2</TD><TD align=right>53</TD><TD align=left>Gabe Northern</TD><TD align=left>DE</TD><TD align=left>Louisiana State</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>3</TD><TD align=right>87</TD><TD align=left>Matt Stevens</TD><TD align=left>FS</TD><TD align=left>Appalachian State</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>4</TD><TD align=right>120</TD><TD align=left>Sean Moran</TD><TD align=left>DE</TD><TD align=left>Colorado State</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>5</TD><TD align=right>156</TD><TD align=left>Raymond Jackson</TD><TD align=left>CB</TD><TD align=left>Colorado State</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>6</TD><TD align=right>196</TD><TD align=left>Leon Neal</TD><TD align=left>RB</TD><TD align=left>Washington</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>6</TD><TD align=right>202</TD><TD align=left>Dusty Zeigler</TD><TD align=left>C</TD><TD align=left>Notre Dame</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>7</TD><TD align=right>237</TD><TD align=left>Dan Brandenburg</TD><TD align=left>DE</TD><TD align=left>Indiana State</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>7</TD><TD align=right>244</TD><TD align=left>Jay Riemersma</TD><TD align=left>TE</TD><TD align=left>Michigan</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>7</TD><TD align=right>249</TD><TD align=left>Eric Smedley</TD><TD align=left>S</TD><TD align=left>Indiana</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD class=bg3 align=left colSpan=5></TD></TR><TR class=bg0 align=left><TD class=bg0 colSpan=5>1997 (http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/years/1997)</TD></TR><TR class=bg1 align=left><TD>Rd</TD><TD>Sel#</TD><TD>Player</TD><TD>Pos.</TD><TD>School</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=right>23</TD><TD align=left>Antowain Smith</TD><TD align=left>RB</TD><TD align=left>Houston</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>2</TD><TD align=right>52</TD><TD align=left>Marcellus Wiley</TD><TD align=left>DE</TD><TD align=left>Columbia</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>4</TD><TD align=right>120</TD><TD align=left>Jamie Nails</TD><TD align=left>G</TD><TD align=left>Florida A&M</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>5</TD><TD align=right>153</TD><TD align=left>Sean Woodson</TD><TD align=left>DB</TD><TD align=left>Jackson State</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>6</TD><TD align=right>185</TD><TD align=left>Marcus Spriggs</TD><TD align=left>T</TD><TD align=left>Houston</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>7</TD><TD align=right>226</TD><TD align=left>Pat Fitzgerald</TD><TD align=left>TE</TD><TD align=left>Texas</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Philagape
03-23-2006, 09:43 PM
IMO those were more Polian's doing than Marv's. Drafting players is one of the primary roles for a GM. Not saying Marv didn't play a hand but if you have to credit someone, it should be Polian.

Here's a look at the Butler/Levy drafts post-Polian, until Marv retired in '97.

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg0 align=left><TD class=bg0 colSpan=5>1994 (http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/years/1994)</TD></TR><TR class=bg1 align=left><TD>Rd</TD><TD>Sel#</TD><TD>Player</TD><TD>Pos.</TD><TD>School</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=right>27</TD><TD align=left>Jeff Burris</TD><TD align=left>CB</TD><TD align=left>Notre Dame</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>2</TD><TD align=right>48</TD><TD align=left>Bucky Brooks</TD><TD align=left>WR</TD><TD align=left>North Carolina</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>2</TD><TD align=right>61</TD><TD align=left>Lonnie Johnson</TD><TD align=left>TE</TD><TD align=left>Florida State</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>2</TD><TD align=right>64</TD><TD align=left>Sam Rogers</TD><TD align=left>OLB</TD><TD align=left>Colorado</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>3</TD><TD align=right>81</TD><TD align=left>Marlo Perry</TD><TD align=left>LB</TD><TD align=left>Jackson State</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>3</TD><TD align=right>98</TD><TD align=left>Corey Louchiey</TD><TD align=left>T</TD><TD align=left>South Carolina</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>4</TD><TD align=right>130</TD><TD align=left>Sean Crocker</TD><TD align=left>DB</TD><TD align=left>North Carolina</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>5</TD><TD align=right>158</TD><TD align=left>A.J. Ofodile</TD><TD align=left>TE</TD><TD align=left>Missouri</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>6</TD><TD align=right>188</TD><TD align=left>Anthony Abrams</TD><TD align=left>DE</TD><TD align=left>Clark Atlanta</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>6</TD><TD align=right>192</TD><TD align=left>Kevin Knox</TD><TD align=left>WR</TD><TD align=left>Florida State</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>7</TD><TD align=right>221</TD><TD align=left>Filmel Johnson</TD><TD align=left>DB</TD><TD align=left>Illinois</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD class=bg3 align=left colSpan=5> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg0 align=left><TD class=bg0 colSpan=5>1995 (http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/years/1995)</TD></TR><TR class=bg1 align=left><TD>Rd</TD><TD>Sel#</TD><TD>Player</TD><TD>Pos.</TD><TD>School</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=right>14</TD><TD align=left>Ruben Brown</TD><TD align=left>G</TD><TD align=left>Pittsburgh</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>2</TD><TD align=right>45</TD><TD align=left>Todd Collins</TD><TD align=left>QB</TD><TD align=left>Michigan</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>3</TD><TD align=right>76</TD><TD align=left>Marlon Kerner</TD><TD align=left>DB</TD><TD align=left>Ohio State</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>3</TD><TD align=right>96</TD><TD align=left>Damien Covington</TD><TD align=left>LB</TD><TD align=left>North Carolina State</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>4</TD><TD align=right>109</TD><TD align=left>Ken Irvin</TD><TD align=left>CB</TD><TD align=left>Memphis</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>4</TD><TD align=right>113</TD><TD align=left>Justin Armour</TD><TD align=left>WR</TD><TD align=left>Stanford</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>4</TD><TD align=right>131</TD><TD align=left>Tony Cline</TD><TD align=left>TE</TD><TD align=left>Stanford</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>5</TD><TD align=right>144</TD><TD align=left>John Holecek</TD><TD align=left>MLB</TD><TD align=left>Illinois</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>6</TD><TD align=right>185</TD><TD align=left>Shannon Clavelle</TD><TD align=left>DE</TD><TD align=left>Colorado</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>7</TD><TD align=right>221</TD><TD align=left>Tom Nutten</TD><TD align=left>G</TD><TD align=left>Western Michigan</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>7</TD><TD align=right>244</TD><TD align=left>Darick Holmes</TD><TD align=left>RB</TD><TD align=left>Portland State</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD class=bg3 align=left colSpan=5></TD></TR><TR class=bg0 align=left><TD class=bg0 colSpan=5>1996 (http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/years/1996)</TD></TR><TR class=bg1 align=left><TD>Rd</TD><TD>Sel#</TD><TD>Player</TD><TD>Pos.</TD><TD>School</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=right>24</TD><TD align=left>Eric Moulds</TD><TD align=left>WR</TD><TD align=left>Mississippi State</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>2</TD><TD align=right>53</TD><TD align=left>Gabe Northern</TD><TD align=left>DE</TD><TD align=left>Louisiana State</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>3</TD><TD align=right>87</TD><TD align=left>Matt Stevens</TD><TD align=left>FS</TD><TD align=left>Appalachian State</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>4</TD><TD align=right>120</TD><TD align=left>Sean Moran</TD><TD align=left>DE</TD><TD align=left>Colorado State</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>5</TD><TD align=right>156</TD><TD align=left>Raymond Jackson</TD><TD align=left>CB</TD><TD align=left>Colorado State</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>6</TD><TD align=right>196</TD><TD align=left>Leon Neal</TD><TD align=left>RB</TD><TD align=left>Washington</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>6</TD><TD align=right>202</TD><TD align=left>Dusty Zeigler</TD><TD align=left>C</TD><TD align=left>Notre Dame</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>7</TD><TD align=right>237</TD><TD align=left>Dan Brandenburg</TD><TD align=left>DE</TD><TD align=left>Indiana State</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>7</TD><TD align=right>244</TD><TD align=left>Jay Riemersma</TD><TD align=left>TE</TD><TD align=left>Michigan</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>7</TD><TD align=right>249</TD><TD align=left>Eric Smedley</TD><TD align=left>S</TD><TD align=left>Indiana</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD class=bg3 align=left colSpan=5></TD></TR><TR class=bg0 align=left><TD class=bg0 colSpan=5>1997 (http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/years/1997)</TD></TR><TR class=bg1 align=left><TD>Rd</TD><TD>Sel#</TD><TD>Player</TD><TD>Pos.</TD><TD>School</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>1</TD><TD align=right>23</TD><TD align=left>Antowain Smith</TD><TD align=left>RB</TD><TD align=left>Houston</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>2</TD><TD align=right>52</TD><TD align=left>Marcellus Wiley</TD><TD align=left>DE</TD><TD align=left>Columbia</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>4</TD><TD align=right>120</TD><TD align=left>Jamie Nails</TD><TD align=left>G</TD><TD align=left>Florida A&M</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>5</TD><TD align=right>153</TD><TD align=left>Sean Woodson</TD><TD align=left>DB</TD><TD align=left>Jackson State</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>6</TD><TD align=right>185</TD><TD align=left>Marcus Spriggs</TD><TD align=left>T</TD><TD align=left>Houston</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=left>7</TD><TD align=right>226</TD><TD align=left>Pat Fitzgerald</TD><TD align=left>TE</TD><TD align=left>Texas</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Holy crap :puke:

Four drafts, only one great player, and about five more who were decent. Out of 38.