PDA

View Full Version : Except from an Interview.

patmoran2006
03-22-2006, 05:27 PM
From an interview I recently did with Rob Rang, senior writer for nfrdraftscout.com and the sports xchange.

Here's what he told me regarding the BIlls (this was done before the offer for Wells was matched)

"The Bills have assembled enough talent at the offensive and defensive
skill positions to win, but inadequacies along the line continues to
haunt this team. Despite the fact that skill position players sell
tickets, the NFL remains a big man's game. Therefore, I believe Marv
Levy and Dick Jauron will continue to focus on these positions. The
free agent addition of Larry Tripplett helps and if the Bills are able to
sign away restricted free agent offensive guard Reggie Wells from
Arizona, that would help too. Still, in the first round and throughout
the draft the likely focus for the Bills will remain along the
offensive and defensive lines.

Obviously there has been a great deal of turnover throughout the past
few months with the Bills' front office. Marv Levy is as respected as
any man in the National Football League. Dick Jauron will bring back
the no-nonsense defensive philosophy that this team was sorely lacking last
year."

ICE74129
03-22-2006, 05:37 PM
From an interview I recently did with Rob Rang, senior writer for nfrdraftscout.com and the sports xchange.

Here's what he told me regarding the BIlls (this was done before the offer for Wells was matched)

"The Bills have assembled enough talent at the offensive and defensive
skill positions to win, but inadequacies along the line continues to
haunt this team. Despite the fact that skill position players sell
tickets, the NFL remains a big man's game. Therefore, I believe Marv
Levy and Dick Jauron will continue to focus on these positions. The
free agent addition of Larry Tripplett helps and if the Bills are able to
sign away restricted free agent offensive guard Reggie Wells from
Arizona, that would help too. Still, in the first round and throughout
the draft the likely focus for the Bills will remain along the
offensive and defensive lines.

Obviously there has been a great deal of turnover throughout the past
few months with the Bills' front office. Marv Levy is as respected as
any man in the National Football League. Dick Jauron will bring back
the no-nonsense defensive philosophy that this team was sorely lacking last
year."

Not a bash and you know that,but Pat your friend just killed your gripes. Marv is doing the right thing and will use the draft to fill starting holes. Many teams the last 3-4 years have done that instead of FA's. Marv has signed what he, Modrak, Guy etal feel will be good solid starters for us that are on the rise in thier careers.

DT, LG and LE will be the top positions addressed in the draft. I also agree DJ will do a hell of a job and so will the rest of this coaching staff.

patmoran2006
03-22-2006, 05:55 PM
I didn't say I agreed with him, I was just offering up what his quote was..

I still take Davis I dont care if Bill Polian tells me I'm wrong, but that's just me.

patmoran2006
03-22-2006, 05:56 PM
I do like what he said about Jauron..

ICE74129
03-22-2006, 06:22 PM

I still take Davis I dont care if Bill Polian tells me I'm wrong, but that's just me.

That has been your problem. Take lines in the draft. We have a TE now. Blocking then a quick mid range threat for our TE and that is what Royal brings.

Everett is back working out full time (non rehab) according to BB.com so who knows what we have there.

HAMMER
03-22-2006, 07:01 PM

Please explain your philosophy behind wanting V. Davis vs. addressing our lines in the first round of the draft.

Tatonka
03-22-2006, 08:51 PM
i take vdavis at 8 because there is only ONE lineman there that is worth the pick.. brick.. and davis is a true freak of nature that could be as dominant at the position as anyone ever has been in this game.. do you know how much a guy like gates could help us? and he is MUCH faster than him.

that is it.. ngata and bunkley are both not that much better than what can be had in the 2nd round.. and there isnt even remotely a OL in the 1st other than brick that is worth a sniff.

ICE74129
03-22-2006, 09:20 PM
i take vdavis at 8 because there is only ONE lineman there that is worth the pick.. brick.. and davis is a true freak of nature that could be as dominant at the position as anyone ever has been in this game.. do you know how much a guy like gates could help us? and he is MUCH faster than him.

that is it.. ngata and bunkley are both not that much better than what can be had in the 2nd round.. and there isnt even remotely a OL in the 1st other than brick that is worth a sniff.

Not to argue but YOU say there is no linemen worth it. Modrak may say different

lordofgun
03-22-2006, 09:31 PM
I want Davis.

Drive 4 Five
03-22-2006, 09:36 PM
If Davis is THAT good, he'll be off the board by five.

Dr. Lecter
03-22-2006, 10:31 PM
No. Not Davis. Not a TE at 8.

I woudl rather see a trade down and picking up Justice, Winston, McNeill, Scott, Buckley, Hall, or somebody else than taking Davis. This team needs lineman too badly.

patmoran2006
03-23-2006, 12:10 AM

That's the most intelligent post I"ve seen in OVER a month THANK you very much..

Brick is worth it, NO OTHER linemen should get a sniff at 8.
Bunkley or Ngata are both good, maybe great.. But there is depth at DT in rounds 2, 3 and even 4..

I will add to what you said about Davis.. He isnt just a "tight end" he can make the ENTIRE offense better, all 10 OTHER guys around him. How so?

* You gonna double team Evans and leave a LB to try and watch DAvis? LOL
* You aint stacking 8 in the box to stop the run.. IF (insert circus QB here) runs a play action pass he's GONE down the middle of the field.
* He catches EVERYTHING and moves the chains.. Last I knew of, Time possesion was a huge problem with this offense.
* Will open room for Willis to run
* Did I mention he's a hell of a blocker
* Did I mention he's fast enough to line up as a slot or wide receiver?
* did I mention there's not a TE in the league and only a handful of WR's for that matter faster?
* Did I mention we can run two TE sets with royal, similar to what NE does.. Overcommit to davis and pound the ball on Royals side.. Overcommit to Royals side to stop the run and good luck having a LB cover him.

* A good TE is a QB's best friend. ASk Drew Brees how things went once Antonio Gates started playing.

* Lastly, he's too f'n GOOD to not take........

Take Davis first and taken linemen rounds 2-7 for all I care.. He is not an impact player, he is a FRANCHISE player and you DONT let Franchise players get past you because you have a bigger need somewhere else.

Davis gives this offense 3-4 sets and looks they can run to confuse defenses that can't be done without him.

and BTW, there's still use for Everett in the offense too, more on that another time..

This is NO BRAINER.. IF he's even on the board.

Kerr
03-23-2006, 12:12 AM
Pat
how do you propose we get davis? There's a very good chance he'd be gone before our pick to SF or Oak.

patmoran2006
03-23-2006, 12:14 AM
Not to argue but YOU say there is no linemen worth it. Modrak may say different

When is Modrak making decisions about who we are drafting and if he is, it PROVES what I said the other night that marv levy is nothing more than a fancy hood ornament on Wilson's car..

patmoran2006
03-23-2006, 12:16 AM
Pat
how do you propose we get davis? There's a very good chance he'd be gone before our pick to SF or Oak.

Kerr I wouldnt trade up for him because giving up picks is stupid unless its for Brick..

But if he slides down to us and I say its 50/50, you HAVEEEEEEEEEEEEE to take him.... He's a franchise player, you dont get cracks at franchise players every year.

Oakland isnt taking him.. San Francisco might.. Half of me hopes they do because I will blow a gasket if we pass on him for Winston Justice when there are a half dozen good tackles in the second round. and even MORE good defensive tackles.

Kerr
03-23-2006, 12:23 AM
Kerr I wouldnt trade up for him because giving up picks is stupid unless its for Brick..

But if he slides down to us and I say its 50/50, you HAVEEEEEEEEEEEEE to take him.... He's a franchise player, you dont get cracks at franchise players every year.

Oakland isnt taking him.. San Francisco might.. Half of me hopes they do because I will blow a gasket if we pass on him for Winston Justice when there are a half dozen good tackles in the second round. and even MORE good defensive tackles.

Davis does sound like the real deal. I just would be surprised if he fell and they did select him because consider they signed royal and already have everett.

patmoran2006
03-23-2006, 12:31 AM
Royal is a BLOCKER who caught all of 14 passes, and everett is a donahoe third round pick who is ANYTHING But a lock to be good. HOpe he is, but because he's recovering from injury doesnt mean he'll be a good NFL tight end. Plus, U of Miami TE's are always getting hurt, must be a curse.

Kerr
03-23-2006, 12:42 AM
Well Marv believes Royal can progress as a receiver, but we'll see.
I guess we could go the NE route and have 3 potential starting TE's on the roster like they did last season.

Fauria-blocker-red zone
Watson-blocking and receiving
Graham-receiving duty

Sounds like what we could have if we got davis.
Royal a blocker
Everett more of a receiver than a blocker
and Davis could be the whole package ala watson.

patmoran2006
03-23-2006, 12:57 AM
Hey, everybody and their granny says we need to pattern ourselves after NE and through the draft.. So why not. There's a start and its "through the draft" too.

Though Fauria left as a FA this year.