Ok, now that we have lost both Wells & Idonije...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nighthawk
    Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
    • Jul 2002

Ok, now that we have lost both Wells & Idonije...

It is time for Marv to show me that he has a plan B. I don't mean the draft either, what is his plan B for free agency? He obviously felt that we had some holes in these areas, so what is he going to do to make those areas better? Again, show me something Marv...
  • Bill Brasky
    Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
    • Jan 2004

Re: Ok, now that we have lost both Wells & Idonije...

Free Agency is pretty much a lost cause at this point. Buffalo obviously isn't going to pony up enough cash to entice guys to come here, let alone beat any offers other teams can match.

Honestly, who's even left? They migh luck out and get somebody who might be cut further down the road, but at this point I don't see them even bringing in somebody that can make a difference on this team on either side of the ball.

This has been one of the worst free agnecy periods I can ever remember as a Bills fan. In a year where I thought they'd be quite active because they NEEDED to be in order to get back to a competitive level, they've really dropped the ball. Now they have only the draft to look forward to and there's no way you can rebuild in 3 years simply by drafting.

At least with TD and his bs signings it brought a little bit of hope and excitement to the organization. The moves might not have panned out, but some of them made sense.

Right now this team looks completely lost, I don't even think they had a Plan A, let alone a Plan B

Comment

• ICE74129
      Legendary Zoner
      • Feb 2005

Draft. Sorry, I know you don't want to hear it, but marv gave FA his best shot. Oh sure some depth will be addressed, but unless there is some wild trade, DT, LG and LDE will be addressed Via draft.

Comment

• ICE74129
        Legendary Zoner
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by jfreeman
        Free Agency is pretty much a lost cause at this point. Buffalo obviously isn't going to pony up enough cash to entice guys to come here, let alone beat any offers other teams can match.

Honestly, who's even left? They migh luck out and get somebody who might be cut further down the road, but at this point I don't see them even bringing in somebody that can make a difference on this team on either side of the ball.

This has been one of the worst free agnecy periods I can ever remember as a Bills fan. In a year where I thought they'd be quite active because they NEEDED to be in order to get back to a competitive level, they've really dropped the ball. Now they have only the draft to look forward to and there's no way you can rebuild in 3 years simply by drafting.

At least with TD and his bs signings it brought a little bit of hope and excitement to the organization. The moves might not have panned out, but some of them made sense.

Right now this team looks completely lost, I don't even think they had a Plan A, let alone a Plan B
        JF, TD's signings were EXACTLY what screwed us. Yeah the fans said 'Yea! We are making name signings yea!' and we went 31-49.

here is our position, we aren't attractive right now. Marv can't do anything but what he can do. It will take two offseasons. We sign good, mid tier FA's that have some time in the league and ready to step up and become damn good productive guys.

Next we draft really well finding about 3-4 immediate starters in the draft and more quality depth. We watch the waiver after June 1st.

We then implement our systems and play well. Now this next offseason, The FA's see we are on the way up. Players tell other players that we are almost there and that with thier help we can get there. Not only that we AGAIN have about 15 mill in available cap room. Now the players are telling potential FA's how cool it is to play for DJ, and the assistants.

NOW we sign 2-3 really good FA's then back to mid tier guys for improvement throughout the roster, draft well again and start making a run in 07.

We can't get around this process. TD SCREWED us by not taking this same approach when he took over. he made what I refer to as 'appeasment' signings. Ie they were names to make the fans renew season tickets. When in fact WINNING would have done more.

Comment

• Nighthawk
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
          Draft. Sorry, I know you don't want to hear it, but marv gave FA his best shot. Oh sure some depth will be addressed, but unless there is some wild trade, DT, LG and LDE will be addressed Via draft.
          Yeah, I know, but you have to admit, he didn't seem to have a Plan B to fall back on. There is no way this team fills all their needs in the draft. If I had to rate Marv's first FA, I'd have to give him a D. Most of our needs have not been filled and he left this team with too many holes to address in the draft. Now, I understand that we still have to play the 2006 season, but I'm just saying that at this moment, right now, it looks like Marv has failed his first Free Agent period. IMO

Comment

• Nighthawk
            • Jul 2002

JF, TD's signings were EXACTLY what screwed us. Yeah the fans said 'Yea! We are making name signings yea!' and we went 31-49.

here is our position, we aren't attractive right now. Marv can't do anything but what he can do. It will take two offseasons. We sign good, mid tier FA's that have some time in the league and ready to step up and become damn good productive guys.

Next we draft really well finding about 3-4 immediate starters in the draft and more quality depth. We watch the waiver after June 1st.

We then implement our systems and play well. Now this next offseason, The FA's see we are on the way up. Players tell other players that we are almost there and that with thier help we can get there. Not only that we AGAIN have about 15 mill in available cap room. Now the players are telling potential FA's how cool it is to play for DJ, and the assistants.

NOW we sign 2-3 really good FA's then back to mid tier guys for improvement throughout the roster, draft well again and start making a run in 07.

We can't get around this process. TD SCREWED us by not taking this same approach when he took over. he made what I refer to as 'appeasment' signings. Ie they were names to make the fans renew season tickets. When in fact WINNING would have done more.
            Yes, some of what you say, I do agree with. However, how much faith should we have in Marv to choose the right players in the draft? I mean, is he going to draft some kid out of a small school, who obviously isn't as talented as somebody still on the board, just because he's his kind of guy? If that is the approach he is going to take, I think we are in trouble. If he takes the approach he has taken in FA, we're in for a bad draft. Now, I hope I'm wrong and he does well with the draft, but I'm not yet convinced that he is the right man for the job. He really needs to prove it to me and so far, I am less than impressed.

Comment

• ICE74129
              Legendary Zoner
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Nighthawk
              Yeah, I know, but you have to admit, he didn't seem to have a Plan B to fall back on. There is no way this team fills all their needs in the draft. If I had to rate Marv's first FA, I'd have to give him a D. Most of our needs have not been filled and he left this team with too many holes to address in the draft. Now, I understand that we still have to play the 2006 season, but I'm just saying that at this moment, right now, it looks like Marv has failed his first Free Agent period. IMO
              There was no need for a plan B. Get the mid tier guys that are on the upside you can get, then draft. That was the plan period and Marv is doing that. Davis, Royal, Bowen and Fowler WILL shock some people this year. We still need LG 92nd round) DT (first round) and LDE (3rd round, FA) to address. I think he wants to address Tackle but with who and what tackle spot I don't know. Runyan is a RT and so was Fabini.

Comment

• ICE74129
                Legendary Zoner
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Nighthawk
                Yes, some of what you say, I do agree with. However, how much faith should we have in Marv to choose the right players in the draft? I mean, is he going to draft some kid out of a small school, who obviously isn't as talented as somebody still on the board, just because he's his kind of guy? If that is the approach he is going to take, I think we are in trouble. If he takes the approach he has taken in FA, we're in for a bad draft. Now, I hope I'm wrong and he does well with the draft, but I'm not yet convinced that he is the right man for the job. He really needs to prove it to me and so far, I am less than impressed.
                THIS is the one area I LOVE Having marv here. He helped build 4 superbowl teams with the DRAFT! He wasn't around but the first 2-3 years or so of FA. DRAFT is his specialty.

Besides, HE won't be drafting. This will be Modrak's baby you can bet your sweet Arse on that. and Modrack has proven in Philly the man CAN Draft!

Comment

• Nighthawk
                  • Jul 2002

There was no need for a plan B. Get the mid tier guys that are on the upside you can get, then draft. That was the plan period and Marv is doing that. Davis, Royal, Bowen and Fowler WILL shock some people this year. We still need LG 92nd round) DT (first round) and LDE (3rd round, FA) to address. I think he wants to address Tackle but with who and what tackle spot I don't know. Runyan is a RT and so was Fabini.
                  Man, I wish I could be as optimistic as you, but I just can't get there. I hope you're right and I really hope I'm wrong!

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                    • Mar 2005

As I totally predicted!! Again, what a waste of time. Note to Marv: you need to be reasonably confident that the other team isn't going to match your offer.

I am ready for my '06 prediction, 6-10. We are bringing back most of the losers from last years defense and offense.

I'm sick to my stomach.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
                      Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
                      • Jan 2004

I disagree. I said "some" of TD's signings made sense, but he never gave a lot of those guys the tools to be successful here. IE: ignoring the OLine for his entire tenure and drafting other positions that weren't an immediate need. I am not a Bledsoe homer, but when he had time, he was a potent weapon for this offense. And TD did revamp the defense to the point that it was near the top of the league for a couple years before it fell apart at the seems this past season partly due to age. And let's not forget he got this team out of "cap-hell". Not defending the guy, but a lot of the FA moves he made did make sense, they just didn't pan out because they didn't have a core to work around. It was like a grabbag of talent that had to make due with scraps from the salvation army. There was no balance.

As far as drafting well, that remains to be seen because since Polian left this organization has had terrible drafts, which is a big reason why they are in the position they're in now. Even if they are able to draft high-impact guys, they're going to command a huge salary just to come play for a "bad" team, and that leads to potential hold outs, "eli-manning" syndrome, etc. I'm not saying those situations will neccesarily arise, but they could. No vets want to play here, why would a young up-and-comer want to?

Just a thought.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                        • Jul 2002

THIS is the one area I LOVE Having marv here. He helped build 4 superbowl teams with the DRAFT! He wasn't around but the first 2-3 years or so of FA. DRAFT is his specialty.

Besides, HE won't be drafting. This will be Modrak's baby you can bet your sweet Arse on that. and Modrack has proven in Philly the man CAN Draft!
                        True enough about Modrak, but I'm not so sure Marv was all that responsible for the Bills drafts when he was here. First, Polian did the building and next Butler did. If you remember, Marv never wanted to play rookies when he was coaching and that is not possible any longer...does he understand this? We need guys who can play now, not in 2-3 years...this is where I'm still having concerns about his ability.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                          • Aug 2004

Show me a team built on FA signings that wins consistently in NFL.

You must like the Skins.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                            • Mar 2005

The draft is great and all but it takes 2-3 years to reep the benefits of a good draft. I was really hoping for some real impact. The cap went way up and we were way under. We did nothing special. Matter-of-fact I'm worried that we may be worse.

Comment

• ICE74129
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by jfreeman
                              I disagree. I said "some" of TD's signings made sense, but he never gave a lot of those guys the tools to be successful here. IE: ignoring the OLine for his entire tenure and drafting other positions that weren't an immediate need. I am not a Bledsoe homer, but when he had time, he was a potent weapon for this offense. And TD did revamp the defense to the point that it was near the top of the league for a couple years before it fell apart at the seems this past season partly due to age.

As far as drafting well, that remains to be seen because since Polian left this organization has had terrible drafts, which is a big reason why they are in the position they're in now. Even if they are able to draft high-impact guys, they're going to command a huge salary just to come play for a "bad" team, and that leads to potential hold outs, "eli-manning" syndrome, etc. I'm not saying those situations will neccesarily arise, but they could. No vets want to play here, why would a young up-and-comer want to?

Just a thought.
                              Marv isn't drafting, Modrak is I can bet you right now Modrak runs this draft. He will let Marv and Ralph know who and why, but I can bet you Modrak runs the draft and I like it!

No one has really held out on the Bills and they won't now. There is a know rule that the salary is 'slotted' with a +5% or so from the year before, and ralph has NEVER had any issue paying for a draft pick (see Mike Williams).

As for as TD, he was horrible. Linemen don't put butts in the seats. TD Felt if he kept the fans happy with signings and draft picks that would be enough.....WRONG!

TD has put us in a very bad way on the field. Marv has to fix it

Comment

Working...
                              X