PDA

View Full Version : One thing that concerns me..

The_Philster
03-22-2006, 07:45 PM
so let's say we go into the season with Moulds gone..and JP as the starter. How much of a passing offense are we going to have with only 1 proven starting caliber WR? We had one game without Moulds last year and our passing offense was a joke to say the least. I already know some people will place the blame on JP's feet..no matter what...but what about the majority of people? And, more importantly, what about the coaches? Are the coaches going to accept that it'll be hard for any QB to put up big numbers without 2 starting WRs or are they going to use it as an excuse to bench him?

ICE74129
03-22-2006, 07:50 PM
so let's say we go into the season with Moulds gone..and JP as the starter. How much of a passing offense are we going to have with only 1 proven starting caliber WR? We had one game without Moulds last year and our passing offense was a joke to say the least. I already know some people will place the blame on JP's feet..no matter what...but what about the majority of people? And, more importantly, what about the coaches? Are the coaches going to accept that it'll be hard for any QB to put up big numbers without 2 starting WRs or are they going to use it as an excuse to bench him?

Ok in all fairness we can't use the NE game period. Moulds, no moulds, JP gets crushed anyway.

Fans forget Bill B makes Payton manning look like Ryan Leaf a lot of the time. He does that to ALL QB's at least for awhile. Hell he has done it to pretty much every QB in the league so we can't be too harsh on JP.

Evans will be fine as the #1. I feel Davis shocks everyone at camp as the #2. Reed will step up this year as the #3 in a battle with Parrish. Sam A will be good depth.

I think in this system we are going to be fine with the guys we have. I am glad we have 5 preseason games this year. PERFECT time to have them.

The_Philster
03-22-2006, 07:52 PM
I am glad we have 5 preseason games this year. PERFECT time to have them.:huh: where did you hear this?

FlyingDutchman
03-22-2006, 07:56 PM
Thats why id really like to see us pick up Vernon Davis. San Diego only had 1 decent reciever, but with a diesel TE and a good running attack, their offensive was very productive. I know we have bigger concerns, but damn he would be hard to pass on.

Bill Brasky
03-22-2006, 07:58 PM

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?p=1410517&postcount=10

That about sums it up...

Plus, this team doesn't even have a TE. The passing game is more doomed than most realize.

ICE74129
03-22-2006, 07:59 PM
:huh: where did you hear this?

Someone posted a link to it somewhere. We have 2 home 3 away including opening in Japan.

The_Philster
03-22-2006, 08:01 PM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showpost.php?p=1410517&postcount=10

That about sums it up...

Plus, this team doesn't even have a TE. The passing game is more doomed than most realize.
proven TE, you mean..Everett could be something special....provided he comes back fully ...Euhus was supposed to be pretty solid...but hasn't been more than average..Neufeld's been average...don't know what to think about Royal

YardRat
03-22-2006, 08:03 PM
You're assuming JP is going to perform well enough to win the starting job to begin with if you've already got him being benched for poor results from the passing game sans Moulds.

I haven't seen anything to indicate that Nalls is any kind of a scrambler, but rather is more of a drop-back, pocket passer-type. Nalls is the only QB on the roster hand-picked by Marv...doesn't that give anybody an idea of what Marv may think about crazy-leg QB's??

Drive 4 Five
03-22-2006, 08:07 PM
You mean to tell me that there is only one thing that concerns you? Our receiving corp is actually the least of my concerns at this point.

I don't mean to sound like Pat Moran but damn...

J/K Pat

The_Philster
03-22-2006, 08:09 PM
You mean to tell me that there is only one thing that concerns you? Our receiving corp is actually the least of my concerns at this point.

I don't mean to sound like Pat Moran but damn...

J/K Pat
more than that concerns me but the WR corps is rarely addressed...the loss of Moulds will be felt immensely, IMO

ICE74129
03-22-2006, 08:09 PM
You're assuming JP is going to perform well enough to win the starting job to begin with if you've already got him being benched for poor results from the passing game sans Moulds.

I haven't seen anything to indicate that Nalls is any kind of a scrambler, but rather is more of a drop-back, pocket passer-type. Nalls is the only QB on the roster hand-picked by Marv...doesn't that give anybody an idea of what Marv may think about crazy-leg QB's??

Ah and Mr Rat brings up a very interesting point. But alas Modrak picked a mobile QB in McNabb. But even mcnabb didn't become good until he realised how to just move in the pocket and fire the football.

ICE74129
03-22-2006, 08:10 PM
more than that concerns me but the WR corps is rarely addressed...the loss of Moulds will be felt immensely, IMO

And I my friend think we will be fine. But I don't doubt some move is made after the draft for more veteran depth.

justasportsfan
03-22-2006, 08:11 PM
Evans will be fine as the #1. I feel Davis shocks everyone at camp as the #2. Reed will step up this year as the #3 in a battle with Parrish. Sam A will be good depth.

you're starting to sound like FTP. Don't look at things through rose colored glasses.

ICE74129
03-22-2006, 08:13 PM
you're starting to sound like FTP. Don't look at things through rose colored glasses.

Not at all. Evans is ready to step up. Year 3 he is a big boy now, time to be #1. If not for injuries Davis would most likely be a #1 or high #2 somewhere else.

WR's are going to be fine.

Drive 4 Five
03-22-2006, 08:16 PM

:snicker:

Oh no he didn't...

justasportsfan
03-22-2006, 08:16 PM
Not at all. Evans is ready to step up. Year 3 he is a big boy now, time to be #1. If not for injuries Davis would most likely be a #1 or high #2 somewhere else.

WR's are going to be fine.
If you are gonna base things he did last year, he didn't see double coverages a whole lot. He hasn't shown he can all year round. Everything depends on whether the other wr's can step up and take away the pressure off of him. Right now, not even Davis is proven . Neither are the rest of the wr's we have.

I hope you are right but that remains to be seen.

Drive 4 Five
03-22-2006, 08:19 PM
I think people are sometimes too quick to dismiss what Moulds actually brings to the table. Peerless Price thought he was ready too.

ICE74129
03-22-2006, 08:19 PM
If you are gonna base things he did last year, he didn't see double coverages a whole lot. He hasn't shown he can all year round. Everything depends on whether the other wr's can step up and take away the pressure off of him. Right now, not even Davis is proven . Neither are the rest of the wr's we have.

I hope you are right but that remains to be seen.

I will disagree 100% on your first sentance. We bills backers of tulsa sat and intentionally watched for this very thing. Evans drew more doubles than Moulds did from what we saw. When teams were stupid ( Miami and KC) to go with single coverage they got killed. Evans scored his 3rd TD with at least two guys on him in Miami.'

Evans is drawing them. He needs more work I grant you, but you can't hold anything against him considering the SH@! for coaching and S@#$ for a system he played in.

Evans will be ready.

TheGhostofJimKelly
03-22-2006, 08:22 PM
This isn't the most negative thing really, but this might be the first post I have ever seen from The_Philster that has a negative flavor to it.

YardRat
03-22-2006, 08:24 PM
We may only need two wide outs, anyway, and Evans, Parrish and Davis should be able to fill the bill.

With Royals on the line, Shelton at FB and possibly even Euhus or Everett lining up in the H-back occassionally, if all goes well Willis may be looking at an 1800 yard season.

Drive 4 Five
03-22-2006, 08:26 PM
This isn't the most negative thing really, but this might be the first post I have ever seen from The_Philster that has a negative flavor to it.

These are trying times. Even the biggest of die hards has to be gravely concerned. This organization is at the crossroads.

Drive 4 Five
03-22-2006, 08:28 PM
We may only need two wide outs, anyway, and Evans, Parrish and Davis should be able to fill the bill.

With Royals on the line, Shelton at FB and possibly even Euhus or Everett lining up in the H-back occassionally, if all goes well Willis may be looking at an 1800 yard season.

:rolleyes:

Bill Brasky
03-22-2006, 08:34 PM
proven TE, you mean..Everett could be something special....provided he comes back fully ...Euhus was supposed to be pretty solid...but hasn't been more than average..Neufeld's been average...don't know what to think about Royal

Correct. I'm hoping Everett pans out, but who knows, we haven't seen anything from him. I'm not sold on Royal, and Neufeld will contribute noting to this offense as usual. He can't block and he can't catch.

YardRat
03-22-2006, 08:38 PM
:rolleyes:

1200 plus with an anemic offensive game plan, no passing game, and TE's that couldn't block.

An upgrade in the blocking department and an offense geared toward getting him the ball 25 times per game...I don't think it's out of reach by any stretch.

Buffatexas
03-22-2006, 08:38 PM
Let's throw in the fact that we will have a new offense this year under Fairchild and a new defense under Fewell. Teams will take a few games to figure out, we may surprise some early on but the test will be how we react when they DO figure it out.
Is it a safe bet that we have Losman who can hustle, Nall who may be a 'tweener and Holcomb who is the least agile. I think that will play a big role in who gets the starting job is who is more adaptive to the new offense. Advantage could be anyones, Losman only had two years under MM and Holcomb 1. Should be somewhat easy for the qbs to pick it up.
But to answer the question, I think it really depends on A the OL, B Recievers/TE coming together and earning defenses respect ad C, the OC exploiting every strength around the QB

Drive 4 Five
03-22-2006, 08:50 PM
:rofl: Love your avatar Buff!

justasportsfan
03-22-2006, 08:52 PM
I will disagree 100% on your first sentance. We bills backers of tulsa sat and intentionally watched for this very thing. Evans drew more doubles than Moulds did from what we saw. When teams were stupid ( Miami and KC) to go with single coverage they got killed. Evans scored his 3rd TD with at least two guys on him in Miami.'

Evans is drawing them. He needs more work I grant you, but you can't hold anything against him considering the SH@! for coaching and S@#$ for a system he played in.

Evans will be ready.not the entire year. He wasn't under double coverage every sunday on a consistent basis. Until his nos. say so, he isn't aproven no. 1.

Like I said, I hope you are right. I'd rather see proof than just go about it with nothing mor than opinion. Just like Drive 4 said, Price thought he was ready and he was wrong.

Drive 4 Five
03-22-2006, 08:58 PM
1200 plus with an anemic offensive game plan, no passing game, and TE's that couldn't block.

An upgrade in the blocking department and an offense geared toward getting him the ball 25 times per game...I don't think it's out of reach by any stretch.

I hear what you're saying bro but last year we just could not run the ball effectively, expecially when it mattered most. I don't see how that is going to change dramatically in just one season regardless of whether the game plan is geared to run more or not. Have we really made any moves that can be seen as significant upgrades over what we had last year? Honestly?

Drive 4 Five
03-22-2006, 09:00 PM
BRB, Gotta go watch American Idol. Oh man, did I just type that?