PDA

View Full Version : Major League & The Buffalo Bills

patmoran2006
03-22-2006, 11:47 PM
Have you guys (girls) ever seen the movie Major League, with Charlie Sheen, Tom Berenger, Wesley Snipes,etc, etc?

Remember.. The movie about the Cleveland Indians where the owner wanted the team to SUCK so bad she made the GM sign a bunch of no-names in hopes they'd lose so many games that attendance would drop and she would able to move the team to California.

I'm starting to think Ralph Wilson may have watched that movie one too many times and got some crazy ideas.

Everytime we sign another "up and comer" or guy of "High character" I feel like the guy in the diner starring at his newspaper at the roster and saying to his buddy "who are the f'n guys."

It's getting brutal man.

And lastly, for the record.. I think I can speak for Freeman and NIghthawk, OP and a few others that we didnt EXPECT Dan Synder'ish behavior from the Bills this offseason.. We wanted significant upgrades in some key spots, ESPECIALLY the OL.. I dont think that's unrealistic expectations.

AndreReed83
03-23-2006, 12:40 AM
Didn't someone (possibly you) mention the Major League comparison in one of their posts in another thread not too long ago?

patmoran2006
03-23-2006, 12:53 AM
NOt in my own post.. IN a comment about 28 comments down.

Historian
03-23-2006, 04:11 AM
I disagree.

The Bills are doing exactly what they need to do.

Bring in guys (or tender offers to guys) that have a few years experience, that haven't reached their full potential yet. Guys who are just about ready to blossom.

Sort of like buying a GM exec's car from a dealer with low mileage. Let someone else take the initial depreciation, then you buy what's essentially a new car at a reduced rate and drive it for the bulk of the car's life.

As opposed to overpaying for some "name" who's better days are behind him. We have too many needs to approach it that way anyways.

So far, Marv has shown me that he's pretty adept at managing the cap.

BillsFever21
03-23-2006, 04:25 AM
The best job Marv and OBD have done this offseason is making a good enough amount of homers actually believe this crap.

When you can sign a bunch of backups and castoffs from other teams and make some of your fans believe that they are up and coming players who are ready to set the NFL on fire you are doing one hell of a sell job. Either that or the Bills have enough homers who will believe anything you tell them. I think it's a little bit of both.

And they are such good talent evaluators these guys fell under the radar so much that 31 other teams haven't even caught on to these future HOF's the Bills are finding and tried to sign the players themselves.

Hell even the teams they played on didn't even notice their potential. We don't know how lucky we are to have these master talent evaluators. They are so good that all the other GM's in the league can't even compare to them.

Historian
03-23-2006, 04:30 AM
I disagree BF.

The trend in the NFL is to find diamonds in the rough and polish them, ala New England.

That's why the Jones and Snyders continue to flounder. They just keep throwing good money after bad for players who's best days are behind them.

Buffatexas
03-23-2006, 06:06 AM
Hey Pat, did you have the same feelings when we signed Houston Oiler WR castoff Steve Tasker or Seahawk castoff Brian Moorman or to some extent Packer castoff Bryce Paup? I understand your point about upgrading the "need" positions but c'mon, most of this entire team needs to be upgraded. We gotta take what we can get right now and have faith in our staff that they can get to what we need them to be. Buffalo never has been and never will be the pretty pick for a free agent. Heck, one of the reasons TKO came here was because of the love the fans had for him, remember that game? We chanted his name and he was in orange and black!

ICE74129
03-23-2006, 06:43 AM
I disagree BF.

The trend in the NFL is to find diamonds in the rough and polish them, ala New England.

That's why the Jones and Snyders continue to flounder. They just keep throwing good money after bad for players who's best days are behind them.

You are arguing with the Madden Generation. They all ignore facts. TD signed the types of players these guys are clammoring for, and we went 31-49.

You, Clump, Myself and others that actually understand the Bills (*) are doing the right thing will still be here when it all comes together and the I told ya so's will be delt out.

ICE74129
03-23-2006, 06:44 AM
(*) Everyone here keeps saying 'Marv' is doing this. No he isn't. Marv is just the guy that talks to the media and keeps things together. Modrak, Guy, our scouts, Coaches opinions and such are doing this.

lynobx
03-23-2006, 07:31 AM
I disagree.

Bring in guys (or tender offers to guys) that have a few years experience, that haven't reached their full potential yet. Guys who are just about ready to blossom.

That same approach has worked fairly well in New England.

Dr. Lecter
03-23-2006, 07:40 AM
I disagree.

Sort of like buying a GM exec's car from a dealer with low mileage. Let someone else take the initial depreciation, then you buy what's essentially a new car at a reduced rate and drive it for the bulk of the car's life.

As opposed to overpaying for some "name" who's better days are behind him. We have too many needs to approach it that way anyways.

So far, Marv has shown me that he's pretty adept at managing the cap.

Thank you. I just wish others could see this and not piss and moan that the Bills did not make Adam Archuletta the highest paid safety in NFL history.

Dicknoze69
03-23-2006, 09:21 AM
I think some people would be happy if we did make Archuleta the highest paid Safety ever.

patmoran2006
03-23-2006, 09:26 AM
I disagree BF.

Dont compare jones and synder.. Jones has rings, three of them I believe..

Both spend excessively, Jones is more intelligent.

Dicknoze69
03-23-2006, 09:37 AM
Dont compare jones and synder.. Jones has rings, three of them I believe..

Both spend excessively, Jones is more intelligent.

You can make an argument that the only reason Jones has any rings is because Jimmy Johnson suckered the Vikings into giving up 465 draft picks for Herschel Walker.

Jones may do well business-wise, but he's also thrown serious money at Drew Henson, Quincy Carter, Ryan Leaf, and an 89 year old Vinny Testaverde. Since that mid-90s team fell apart, he hasn't done anything noteworthy football-wise.

THATHURMANATOR
03-23-2006, 09:48 AM
It's getting brutal man.

Were you talking about your endless list of ******ed threads like this one?

If so then I totally agree! :bf1:

PromoTheRobot
03-23-2006, 10:21 AM
It's obvious that in your world name recognition=talent. If you never heard of a player, he can't be any good.

You have no cred as a talent evaluator. And as a matter of fact, neither do I. I prefer to let Marv and company do their jobs, and then judge them AFTER the season!

PTR

Have you guys (girls) ever seen the movie Major League, with Charlie Sheen, Tom Berenger, Wesley Snipes,etc, etc?

Remember.. The movie about the Cleveland Indians where the owner wanted the team to SUCK so bad she made the GM sign a bunch of no-names in hopes they'd lose so many games that attendance would drop and she would able to move the team to California.

I'm starting to think Ralph Wilson may have watched that movie one too many times and got some crazy ideas.

Everytime we sign another "up and comer" or guy of "High character" I feel like the guy in the diner starring at his newspaper at the roster and saying to his buddy "who are the f'n guys."

It's getting brutal man.

And lastly, for the record.. I think I can speak for Freeman and NIghthawk, OP and a few others that we didnt EXPECT Dan Synder'ish behavior from the Bills this offseason.. We wanted significant upgrades in some key spots, ESPECIALLY the OL.. I dont think that's unrealistic expectations.

THATHURMANATOR
03-23-2006, 10:30 AM
It's obvious that in your world name recognition=talent. If you never heard of a player, he can't be any good.

You have no cred as a talent evaluator. And as a matter of fact, neither do I. I prefer to let Marv and company do their jobs, and then judge them AFTER the season!

PTR
Good post man. These arm chair Gms are so fricken annoying. It gets to the point with them that they act like they hope the team fails so they can "tell you so"...

LtBillsFan66
03-23-2006, 10:31 AM

PTR
:up:

Mr. Pink
03-23-2006, 10:35 AM
Good post man. These arm chair Gms are so fricken annoying. It gets to the point with them that they act like they hope the team fails so they can "tell you so"...

Well when these pickups pan out such as Melvin Fowler who the Browns media guide even listed as a "third round pick who hasn't played to his potential" in 2004. Which apparently they are a little better than us "arm chair" types, even though in most Bills fans eyes they must be wrong also. Seeing it contradicts us even signing him. But anyways, when these pickups make the team look improved on the field this season, you can sit here and say "told you so." In fact, I'd be more than happy if you were able to do that.

PromoTheRobot
03-23-2006, 10:36 AM
You are arguing with the Madden Generation. They all ignore facts. TD signed the types of players these guys are clammoring for, and we went 31-49.

You, Clump, Myself and others that actually understand the Bills (*) are doing the right thing will still be here when it all comes together and the I told ya so's will be delt out.
Well put, Ice. People like Pat think that great players fall out of the sky and were never backups at some point in their careers.

PTR

patmoran2006
03-23-2006, 10:37 AM
Were you talking about your endless list of ******ed threads like this one?

If so then I totally agree! :bf1:

I find that personally offensive and you have hurt my message board feelings.

patmoran2006
03-23-2006, 10:39 AM

Let me ASSURE you that NOBODY on this board wants the Buffalo Bills to be successful more than I do, both on a personal and business leve.

PromoTheRobot
03-23-2006, 10:40 AM
Well when these pickups pan out such as Melvin Fowler who the Browns media guide even listed as a "third round pick who hasn't played to his potential" in 2004. Which apparently they are a little better than us "arm chair" types, even though in most Bills fans eyes they must be wrong also. Seeing it contradicts us even signing him. But anyways, when these pickups make the team look improved on the field this season, you can sit here and say "told you so." In fact, I'd be more than happy if you were able to do that.
Gee, I guess the Bills staff must have missed that article. Who wrote that? His position coach? The GM? Or some hack in the Browns media office?

PTR

PromoTheRobot
03-23-2006, 10:41 AM
Let me ASSURE you that NOBODY on this board wants the Buffalo Bills to be successful more than I do, both on a personal and business leve.
Could have fooled us.

PTR

THATHURMANATOR
03-23-2006, 11:37 AM
I have already told you that I want them to win more than you do. Why do you argue?

Italian Stallion
03-23-2006, 11:39 AM

I want them to win more than you....and YOU KNOW I'M RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EM Bills Fan 80
03-23-2006, 12:16 PM
Speaking of Major League, did anyone else know Cerrano is the Allstate guy

Mski
03-23-2006, 12:23 PM

he's also in the new tv series "the unit"

TedMock
03-23-2006, 12:25 PM

President Palmer was also Cerrano? I didn't realize that. I loved Major League, but it's been years since I've seen it.

Historian
03-24-2006, 08:46 AM

Is very bad to drink Jobu's rum.
Very bad.

Ironic you guys bring up Archuletta.

I honestly thought the Bills may have had the inside track on him.

My cousin is his personal physical therapist. They're pretty good friends, and his entire family has been his guest at Ram's games. I guess money talks, huh?
:)

For what it's worth, my cousin's taken care of Zack Thomas too, and believe me, Zack loves playing in Buffalo.

(This is no joke)

He loves the fans here. He loves how the fans behind the Dolphin's bench heckle him every game. He loves the passion for the game that Bills fans bring to the Ralph, because he admits that it's not that way in every NFL Stadium. It actually motivates him to play just that much harder.

That's straight from the horse's mouth! (Or should I say fish's mouth, lol)