PDA

View Full Version : Modrak is having a ton of say in all of this.

ICE74129
03-23-2006, 07:00 AM
I have tried to tell folks marv isn't doing all of this. Remember Marvs PC? He went to great lengths to tell fans, Modrak will mostly handle the Draft and free agents. John Guy FA's with some draft. Overdorf the cap/contracts.

Marv and DJ sat down and have a plan for the type of team they want. I am sure Modrak had huge impute into that. Now we are doing the RIGHT thing and bringing in mid tier young guys that are just now starting to break out. And not killing our cap to do so.

But what is going on in Buffalo has been done before.....By Tom Modrak. Read part of the way down about how he took over a 3-13 team and what he did. And read about what his 2nd season there as GM looked like.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04340/421989.stm

I am telling you, this is a TWO offseason retool. There is NO getting around it. To me and apperantly to OBD there wasn't anyone (that we could realisticly bid for) in Free agency worth going after that was a 'name'.

TigerJ
03-23-2006, 07:38 AM
I'm not in the least surprised. This is how it's supposed to work. Modrak and staff does the research and makes the recommendations, Levy pulls the trigger. Levy probably makes an effort to learn something about the guys Modrak recommends so he's not completely out of the loop, but there's know way he can have a handle on the relative value and desirability of all the free agents who are out there.

ICE74129
03-23-2006, 07:41 AM
Exactly T. And funny, this process looks a ton like what Modrak did to turn the Eagles around huh? And the #1 thing...NOT making fan appeasement signings.

Fans are going to need to get it through thier heads, Modrak and Marv aren't moved by fan opinion.

Turf
03-23-2006, 07:46 AM
How many fans do Marv and Modrak have to worry about in here, the same 15 who dominate the board? I don't think they're concerned with anything anyone in here is saying.

patmoran2006
03-23-2006, 08:29 AM
Exactly T. And funny, this process looks a ton like what Modrak did to turn the Eagles around huh? And the #1 thing...NOT making fan appeasement signings.

Fans are going to need to get it through thier heads, Modrak and Marv aren't moved by fan opinion.

I'm trying to be cool with you, but now you're starting to get flat out two-faced and flip flop your stance.. YET AGAIN! Make up your mind what you want.

Just TWO and a half weeks ago this is WORD for WORD what you said regarding the Bills and Free Agency..
" <TABLE class=tborder id=post1385525 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 width=175>ICE74129 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=4630) <!-- v3 Arcade -->http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/arcade/trophy.gif (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=4630) <!-- /v3 Arcade --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1385525", true); </SCRIPT>
<!-- vbPlaza start -->Registered User
<!-- vbPlaza end -->http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/buttons/golddonor.gif

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/customavatars/avatar4630_1.gif (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=4630)

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_1385525><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 10px; WIDTH: 100%" align=left><!-- icon and title -->Re: $$$$$$$$16-18 mill to spend$$$$$$$$$
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<HR style="COLOR: #f3f3ff" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Ralph will need to spend the bucks or we suck again. That = no fans after this last years crap
<!-- / message --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Are you having problems making up your mind? BTW, Ice isnt the only one.. Plenty of attitudes were different before March 10. Here is the link:
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=93957

That is not a personal attack on you as I have no personal problem with you.. It's just really starting to bother me how much SEVERAL people on here play flip flop with what they say, when ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS GO BACK 2-3 ON THIS THREAD and see MANY MANY threads that totally differ.

AGain, not an attack on you, that's directly what you said in regards to FA just 2.5 weeks ago.

patmoran2006
03-23-2006, 08:30 AM
And for the record, not a personal attack.. I have no problem with you.

BUt I have a problem with 75% of the people on here who's attitude was diffrent two weeks ago then take the stance "we are doing the right thing" when fans like myself, freeman and others get frustrated by this crap product we're going to have.. again

patmoran2006
03-23-2006, 08:43 AM
And if Marv IS NOT havin the FINAL SAY in EVERYTHING, then he is a corporate puppet.. If this is MOdrak's show, he should be the GM..

Fire that recycled bum of a coach and put marv back on the sidelines where he belongs. He's 80 but I'm confident he can still coach and lead.. IF he gets tired he can take a nap at halftime.

BillsFever21
03-23-2006, 08:45 AM
I'm trying to be cool with you, but now you're starting to get flat out two-faced and flip flop your stance.. YET AGAIN! Make up your mind what you want.

Just TWO and a half weeks ago this is WORD for WORD what you said regarding the Bills and Free Agency..

" <TABLE class=tborder id=post1385525 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 width=175>ICE74129 (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=4630) <!-- v3 Arcade -->http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/arcade/trophy.gif (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=4630) <!-- /v3 Arcade --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_1385525", true); </SCRIPT>
<!-- vbPlaza start -->Registered User
<!-- vbPlaza end -->http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/buttons/golddonor.gif

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/customavatars/avatar4630_1.gif (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=4630)

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_1385525><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 10px; WIDTH: 100%" align=left><!-- icon and title -->Re: $$$$$$$$16-18 mill to spend$$$$$$$$$

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<HR style="COLOR: #f3f3ff" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Ralph will need to spend the bucks or we suck again. That = no fans after this last years crap
<!-- / message -->
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Are you having problems making up your mind? BTW, Ice isnt the only one.. Plenty of attitudes were different before March 10. Here is the link:
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=93957

That is not a personal attack on you as I have no personal problem with you.. It's just really starting to bother me how much SEVERAL people on here play flip flop with what they say, when ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS GO BACK 2-3 ON THIS THREAD and see MANY MANY threads that totally differ.

AGain, not an attack on you, that's directly what you said in regards to FA just 2.5 weeks ago.

He has always been that way. I remember him for TSW and every week he would change his mind.

One week this player should be playing and the other one sucked. Next week it would be vice versa with the players. One week this coach would suck and the next week he should get a contract extension.

He says whatever it takes to try and make him sound like he knows what he's talking about. If he needs to change his opinion then so be it.

If we were out spending money from the start on FA's then he would be saying what great moves we are making.

Some people will just agree with whatever the franchise is doing. They will say(I've heard this 1,000 times) "You must think you know more then the GM or coaches"

That was their stance when defending Mularkey and Donahoe. Then after they bombed out they all of a sudden sucked.

Now we have the next combo they are saying the same thing with. If/when they bomb out they will change their mind and say they suck and then defend the next group the same way.

Some think if you don't agree with everything the franchise does then you're less of a fan and will worry about what others think.

This is a internet message board. People who say or do things to try and stay in the cliche and be popular needs to get a life. Who cares what anybody thinks about you on here? Speak your mind and stick with it. Don't change your damn mind all the time to try and cover your tracks.

I remember after Mularkey's first season myself and others knew he sucked and didn't get fooled by no winning streak by a bunch of crap teams. There were people saying how good we were and we had a shot at the SB and how good Mularkey was.

Then after a bad start when we wanted him fired they would say you can't and how he was gonna turn it around like the year before.

Well then we bombed out like most of us predicted and them same people finally admitted as to how much he sucked and should've been gone a long time ago. Even after they said they wanted him 3 months before that.

BillsFever21
03-23-2006, 08:48 AM
And if Marv IS NOT havin the FINAL SAY in EVERYTHING, then he is a corporate puppet.. If this is MOdrak's show, he should be the GM..

Fire that recycled bum of a coach and put marv back on the sidelines where he belongs. He's 80 but I'm confident he can still coach and lead.. IF he gets tired he can take a nap at halftime.

Marv was hired to recapture the fan base after last season. If anyone could bring hope back to the old time fans Marv would be the person. Hiring Marv would buy us a few more crap seasons. Fans would also give him an easier ride because it's Marv.

If this was a different GM or Donahoe still in office these same people would be screaming and not any of them would be saying how all these scrubs are "up and coming stars"

patmoran2006
03-23-2006, 08:51 AM
Marv was hired to recapture the fan base after last season. If anyone could bring hope back to the old time fans Marv would be the person. Hiring Marv would buy us a few more crap seasons. Fans would also give him an easier ride because it's Marv.

If this was a different GM or Donahoe still in office these same people would be screaming and not any of them would be saying how all these scrubs are "up and coming stars"

I agree.. if this was Modrak or anyone else announcing these crap signings, the fans would be flipping out something fierce.

marv is the face of the organization and a trusted figure..

BillsFever21
03-23-2006, 08:53 AM
If Modrak isn't make the brunt of the decisions and Wilson hired Marv over an overqualified guy like Modrak that is another blunder for Ralph Wilson.

Marv was hired as a PR move he could sell to the fans. In no way is Marv more qualified then Modrak. I hope Modrak is making the decisions come draft day.

BillsFever21
03-23-2006, 08:55 AM
I agree.. if this was Modrak or anyone else announcing these crap signings, the fans would be flipping out something fierce.

marv is the face of the organization and a trusted figure..

And that's why Ralph made him GM. He is the only guy who could sell this crap to the fans that we're producing right now and get away with it. The fans will give Marv a free ride for a few years just because it's Marv.

HAMMER
03-23-2006, 10:12 AM

Please stop being so negative. You must be a miserable person with the HUNDREDS of NEGATIVE posts. It has to consume more than half your day, can't imagine it is too much fun. We know where you stand, there is no need to harp on it again and again. This board is right back to where it was when WYS was around, not much fun. It is football, enjoy it.

HAMMER
03-23-2006, 10:17 AM
And that's why Ralph made him GM. He is the only guy who could sell this crap to the fans that we're producing right now and get away with it. The fans will give Marv a free ride for a few years just because it's Marv.

Modrak was offered the job, he declined. Marv is the GM and is fully capable of leading this team back to winning seasons. He has Modrak and Guy to help him with digging up talent, Marv evaluates the situation, and they come to a consensus, sounds like the way a team should be run. Better than a dictatorship where one voice has most or all of the say, less mistakes will be made.

Saratoga Slim
03-23-2006, 10:43 AM
Modrak was offered the job, he declined. Marv is the GM and is fully capable of leading this team back to winning seasons. He has Modrak and Guy to help him with digging up talent, Marv evaluates the situation, and they come to a consensus, sounds like the way a team should be run. Better than a dictatorship where one voice has most or all of the say, less mistakes will be made.

EXACTLY. Modrak didn't want the GM job, didn't want to move to Buffalo full time.

PromoTheRobot
03-23-2006, 10:50 AM
Levy's main role is being the hub which Modrak, Overdorf, Jauron and Wilson revolve around. Everyone does their job. Levy coordinates and keeps Wilson in the loop. No mystery. No one is a "puppet" as Pat "Chicken Little" Moran puts it. In fact it's a very sound management model.

PTR

ICE74129
03-23-2006, 11:37 AM
Levy's main role is being the hub which Modrak, Overdorf, Jauron and Wilson revolve around. Everyone does their job. Levy coordinates and keeps Wilson in the loop. No mystery. No one is a "puppet" as Pat "Chicken Little" Moran puts it. In fact it's a very sound management model.

PTR

Oustanding post PTR. Good to see some get it.

HAMMER
03-23-2006, 11:51 AM

PTR

Chicken Little, LMAO. Did you see that poor kid on American Idol last night?

patmoran2006
03-23-2006, 11:51 AM
a GM who DOESNT make the final decision on EVERYTHING is a puppet.

I'm not suggesting marv isnt making the final decision, Modrak's input should count, but it should be MARV's call 100% at the end of the day on every FA and draft pick we select.

Then it should be JAURON's call, No one else's on who is in the starting lineup.

ICE74129
03-23-2006, 11:53 AM
a GM who DOESNT make the final decision on EVERYTHING is a puppet.

I'm not suggesting marv isnt making the final decision, Modrak's input should count, but it should be MARV's call 100% at the end of the day on every FA and draft pick we select.

Then it should be JAURON's call, No one else's on who is in the starting lineup.

I can't ignore this any longer. Find for me where I said Modrak ran everything. Find for me where I said Marv doesn't have final say? Marv himself said Modrak would run the draft but marv and Ralph will have say. Of course marv has final say, but like a GOOD GM he listens to his people and relies on them.

TigerJ
03-23-2006, 12:34 PM
I do think Marv has final say in the FAs to be targeted. However, he runs the front office the same way he ran his coaching staff. He makes sure he's surrounded by competent, talented people and then relies on them to do their jobs. Modrak's job is to get him the best possible scouting information on available players in the draft and free agency, and then make recommendations.

Marv would be stupid not to listen carefully to those recommendations. We are not privy to conversations between Marv and Modrak, and other staff people, so we can't be sure that Levy takes every recommendation, but I have to believe there is dialog going on and Marv just does every thing Modrak suggests without learning the reasoning behind those recommendations, but I be more discouraged by hearing that Levy doesn't listen to Modrak than by the suggestion that he does absolutely everything Modrak tells him.