PDA

View Full Version : Whats up Josh Reed?

Mski
03-23-2006, 08:53 AM
I know this is off topic from what everyone else has been rambling about lately, but whats the deal with Josh Reed?

Does he really run good routes? He does seem to always find ways to get open, but is that because teams didnt really try to cover him because they realized that he was more likely to drop the ball the do something with it? or does he really get open on his own?

If the latter is the case should we really get down on him so hard during the season, are the dropsies something that you can work your way out of or will he allways be the open guy the no one wants to throw to no matter how open he is?

justasportsfan
03-23-2006, 09:00 AM
It's not the players. It's the coaches.

People drop balls when you have Drew trying to make quick decisions because he needs to get the ball out quickly. He's not the most accurate passer under pressure. Reed did well in his rookie year when Drew wasn't pressured as much and teams had Moulds and Price to worry about.

Now you have Reed catching passes from a rookie qb last year who had not time either. He did better didn't he?

Fix the OL and give our wr's more time to get open. They won't be dropping balls. You are not gonna get a lot of separation when you are running 5-10 yds out while your qb is throwing the ball with your back facing him.

BillsFever21
03-23-2006, 09:09 AM
Reed was the scapegoat for 4 seasons and everyone wanted him cut before he even had a chance to be a FA.

NOW he has been re-signed by MARV and everyone is buying into their crap about all the up and coming stars they are bringing in and he falls into the category.

He will be average like the first 4 years and nothing more. The sell job OBD is making some fans believe that we have the next Hines Ward ready to break out.

It's not gonna be pretty when everyone realizes that most of these guys are just scrubs and backlashes after they fall off the face of the earth in a few years.

justasportsfan
03-23-2006, 09:15 AM
Reed was the scapegoat for 4 seasons and everyone wanted him cut before he even had a chance to be a FA.

NOW he has been re-signed by MARV and everyone is buying into their crap about all the up and coming stars they are bringing in and he falls into the category.

He will be average like the first 4 years and nothing more. The sell job OBD is making some fans believe that we have the next Hines Ward ready to break out.

It's not gonna be pretty when everyone realizes that most of these guys are just scrubs and backlashes after they fall off the face of the earth in a few years. Ward? Maybe you're the only one who expects him to be the next Ward.

HE was a lot cheaper than Randall El and yet had better nos.

People like to say that Moulds would've been better if he had a consistent OL, HC, Qb his entire career just like Harrison. Guess what, the same thing applies to Reed. You aren't gonna get any better when you play with a team that constantly changes every year.

TedMock
03-23-2006, 09:28 AM

It's not gonna be pretty when everyone realizes that most of these guys are just scrubs and backlashes after they fall off the face of the earth in a few years.

I don't think we've been given any sales pitch with the new regime. He's not coming out and calling these guys stars, no parades, no new uni's, no flash. Compared to what we've gone threw the last several years, I think this is a refreshing approach. I don't know if it'll work, but I'll keep my fingers crossed. We just have to be patient again. We're all sick of being patient, but this is a new regime, and they deserve it. Maybe a blue-collar, bunch of guys who buy into the "team" approach will work out better for us than the pampered, whiney, veteran approach we've seen recently. Of course this is more than 1 offeseason to build, so we'll have to just deal with hoping they improve each week. I'm okay with this approach. I'm not okay with mediocrity, but long-term success doesn't happen overnight. The Patriots "dynasty" didn't just go from bad to great despite what the record says. They built that team on the lines primarily through the draft, in all rounds. They found guys that wanted to play ball and win championships. NOT guys that are happy with individual accomplishments on a losing team.

Gunzlingr
03-23-2006, 09:35 AM
I have seen no pomp and gala for Reed or any of the guys we have signed/re-signed. I don't see the front office trying to sell us anything, actually. I think it is a nice change from TD's days of promising the moon with each new guy that is brought in.

patmoran2006
03-23-2006, 09:54 AM
Donahoe's problem was hiring bums for head coaches.. TD put PLENTY of talent on the field.

Marv is the opposite.. He's hiring good coaches with bums for players.

Gunzlingr
03-23-2006, 09:55 AM
Didn't you say that you think Dick is a bad coach?

THATHURMANATOR
03-23-2006, 09:57 AM
I don't think that anyone can argue that Reed looked very good his rookie year. He has been terrible the last three. Make your own conclusions as to the reasons for his 3 year decline. I am sure there are many reasons.

Mr. Pink
03-23-2006, 09:59 AM
Ever watch the movie Necessary Roughness?

I liken Reed to Featherstone...there's a reason he's left open, other teams know he can't catch.

Anyone else besides me ever think while Reed is running wide open, much like when Featherstone was wide open and Robert Loggia said "don't throw it to stone hands!" ? :)

justasportsfan
03-23-2006, 10:09 AM
Didn't you say that you think Dick is a bad coach?he needed to say something even though it contradicts what he said on another thread just so that he can whine about something else.

TedMock
03-23-2006, 10:12 AM
I don't think Reed is a stud by any stretch, but I don't get all the comments about him dropping balls. His drop rate is below most in the league with the exception of 1 year. Funny enough, his "stone hands" were only in the first half of 2004 yet so many people are still claiming that he can't catch. He actually fixed that problem before the 2004 season was even done. Let it go already. The problem is gone. It's like certain players who had injuries in 1999 and 2000, but have been healthy ever since, being dubbed as "injury prone." It's a little out of hand at this point.

Gunzlingr
03-23-2006, 10:15 AM
he needed to say something even though it contradicts what he said on another thread just so that he can whine about something else.

The sad thing is, I think you might be on to something here....