PDA

View Full Version : Colvin and other LB issues

EDS
02-02-2003, 01:31 PM
I no I am going against the grain here, but I don't think Colvin is what we need at linebacker. It seems that is only real asset is rushing the passer. Granted we need that, but not from the linebacker position. We rarely blitzed the strong side backer this past year even though that was supposedly Newman's strong suit. Unless GW and JG changed the scheme, Colvin will go underutilized as well. Accordingly, we need a more versatile player like Spikes, Simmons, or Claibourne at strong side backer. All three are much more involved in other aspects of the game and all three provide much more speed to the defense.

On the weekside, I am again going against the grain and believe that Spoon is not the answer. He does not have the speed or coverage ability the Bills need. Again a fast player like Peterson or Barber would be perfect as both are excellent in coverage.

Money wise, I don't know if we can afford two high priced free agent such as those mentioned above.

We definitely need speed - look at what Tampa bay did.

Just my two cents.

TigerJ
02-02-2003, 01:43 PM
The poor production the Bills have gotten from Newman is frustrating and confusing. If he was so goo rushing the passer, why didn't the coaching staff use him more? In any case he is likely to look for greener pastures, so we will need a LB to replace him. I'm not an expert on Rosevelt Colvin's abilities, beyond the fact that he's been an effective pass rusher. As in most personnel matters I trust TD to make the smart move. I agree with you on Spoon. I like Spoon's attitude. I think he's smart, and will be a great backup to Fletcher when healthy. While his 40 time is good, I don't think he would be as effective on the outside and would like to see Buffalo pick up someone who would really be at home on the outside.

In a related comment, Buffalo has shown interest in Casey Urlacher, little brother of the Bears' Brian Urlacher. The younger brother is a small college sleeper. One "expert" called him the best player in division 3. Alas, he also likes to play in the middle.

Ingtar33
02-02-2003, 01:56 PM
EDs...

Spikes plays weak side backer... Claiborne is a MLB (although he has played weak side backer)...

I like Spikes for his speed and he's an absolute cannonball on the field, and would be a marquee player to build the D around

I think Claiborne is more of a MLB (although he is a beast), not quite as fast as Spikes, and if there is a need for anything on this team it is for speed.

Colvin is basically a clone of Bryce Paup... so-so coverage ability (better than both Newman and Robinson though) , but he has about the best blitz instincts I've seen in a while... its funny because even though he's a great pass rusher he always seems to catch the O-line off guard when he rushes... furthermore, he tends to line up as a down lineman on passing downs, which (if we don't go out and get a pass rushing DE) would fill two needs for the Bills (kill two birds with one stone).

Ingtar33
02-02-2003, 02:00 PM
TJ,
Urlacher, it wouldn't surprise me, could make it good in the NFL... but remember what I said about him being at best a round 5-7 pickup (he a good gamble, but a gamble none the less) but he would be better suited to WSLB due to his lack of size, and good coverage ability (although size is a bit of a tricky issue, if you look at Zack Thomas and London Fletcher, you can see two player with 'no size' playing successful MLB).

EDS
02-02-2003, 02:21 PM
The younger Urlacher does seem to have potential. The problem is it would be hard to count on him to start in 2003 - which is when we need the help. Maybe the Bills should spent their big LB free agent money on a coverage backer like Peterson or Barber and let Spoon battle it out for SLB with Newman if he returns or some other mid-priced vet. Spoon does have good strength and size if I remember correctly. Doesn't the WLB have more coverage responsibilities?

Bert102176
02-02-2003, 04:24 PM
Claibourne is one heck of a LB I would really like him here, and Peterson, Colvin, Spikes, and Barber are all very good LB's we need 2 LB's and the Money to get 2 good ones.

WG
02-02-2003, 05:15 PM
If that's the case bert, then signing Price is definitely out.

B/c we need a DT and DE too. Average players won't do at those two positions. We need at least better than average.

Interesting thread. This is one of those places where I have to scratch my head at the FO. Newman seemed to have played well in previous years and appeared to be coming on.

Fletcher is slower than billed. He cannot play OLB, at least IMO based on what I've seen. That makes Spoon's usefulness somewhat limited. I agree that he won't be his best on the outside. So what, we now have two MLBs and no OLBs.

To even think about signing Price under those circumstances, at least to me, again, unless Drew is willing to split his upcoming $5.5M w/ Price and Price is happy w/ that, I don't see how it's possible.

If Cincy doesn't tag Spikes, then we should definitely go after him w/ a vengeance. Thornton maybe at DT would be good. We could then make a move for a decent DE too and an average+ opposite OLB.

It will be interesting. I just hope that TD doesn't wait until all the good players and good bargains are gone again like he did last year. That's exactly why we ended up w/ an overrated Fletcher and Teague who is an overpaid Center and a below average OT. Both are overpaid considering their contributions IMO.

I like Pat Williams at one DT spot and think that Spoon would be good if the other 3 DL spots are solid.

Fletcher will have to play MLB since cutting him is too expensive right now and since he isn't fast enough, IMO to play OLB. Spoon, somewhat of an unknown still. Possible injury puppy too.

I think we're OK in the secondary w/ Clements, Winfield, now Thomas, and Prioleau and Wire at Ss.

I really think the coaching staff made a mistake by not using Newman more. They could be keeping him but that does not appear to be the case.

So that leaves us needing a DT, DE, and two OLBs. Even then, I'm still concerned about Fletcher's apparent lack of E-W speed in the middle.

In any case, there is no way that we're effectively gonna fill all 4 of those slots if we sign Price. We'd be lucky to fill two of them if we sign Price. We can squeeze in all 4 w/ good values and budget management however IMO if we are careful and address those 4 positions primarily. We wouldn't get "marquee" at every position, but 1-2 marquee and 2-3 above average, which would work easily.