PDA

View Full Version : Draft Young!

jdbillsfan
03-23-2006, 11:48 AM
It sounds like most of you would be against this, but I like it.

I know the Bills have many needs at the line and with the signing of Nall it seems unlikely, but...

Vince Young is a top 3 player in this draft. It's almost like drafting Willis McGahee when we have Travis Henry.

I think he could attract a lot of attention, free agents, marketing deals and improve the over all visability of the Buffalo Bills. I almost look at what Micahel Vick did for VT.

He is a great player. He is definitely better than Cutler in my opinion and he out preformed Leinhart in the biggest game of their careers. He single handedly won that game.

It seems like he has a great relationship with his teammates. Evans, McGahee and Young could be potent.

If our O-Line is young, he can move around and buy time. He would definitely bring some excitement in. Obviously the lines need to be addressed, but he is a player that seems to good to pass up if he falls to 8. After the national championship he looked like the #1 overall pick.

Go Bills!!

OpIv37
03-23-2006, 11:51 AM
We already have a young, mobile, athletic quarterback of below average intelligence with little to no NFL experience. His name is JP Losman.

I would rather see the Bills get their act together and figure out how to develop Losman rather than taking another crap shoot by spending a high-round draft pick on a QB.

tat2dmike77
03-23-2006, 11:53 AM
I see your points but the last thing this team needs is anthor QB.

I know everyone is unhappy with JP but how can he be considered a bust after 8 games.

This team gave MW 3 or 4 season before they finally let him go. If JP struggles next season if he is the starter then i dunno what to say.

The last thing the team needs is anthor QB. I know i started thread about leinart at #8 but i was playing devils advocate. The teams needs lineman and a safety no more QB's or WR's either.

patmoran2006
03-23-2006, 11:54 AM
If we were to take a QB, and we wont..

I'd want Jay Cutler.. He is really starting to remind me of JIm Kelly

jdbillsfan
03-23-2006, 11:57 AM
I do like JP and think he has potential, I was just going along with rumors that it seemed like teammates didn't like him, coaches and management already seems ready to move on. Seems like they all know something.

Also, Vince just seems to be a different caliber player. He can bring a lot to this organization. I think he could end up helping us compete with these big money making franchises with marketing.

His wonderlic isn't that great, but it doesn't seem to matter on the field. He proved it in the National Championship.

JP didn't prove anything at Tulane.

Dicknoze69
I really like Vince Young; love his ability to be a team leader and catapult his team to a higher level. Arm strength is nice, and he has the ability to move. I think he has "it" that all the top-notch QB's do. Maybe it's the ability to make their teammates better.

But, I really doubt we'll take a QB high this year. If we do, Holcomb/Losman is gone.

BigGabes23
Young is going seven to the raiders, who just signed A Brooks to a 2 year deal... Cutler will go between 4-6, with someone trading up to get him.

Dicknoze69
03-23-2006, 11:59 AM
Young is going seven to the raiders, who just signed A Brooks to a 2 year deal... Cutler will go between 4-6, with someone trading up to get him.

My instincts and gut feelings say that you're right.

Devin
03-23-2006, 11:59 AM
No.

jdbillsfan
03-23-2006, 12:00 PM

Kiper was on Mike & Mike this morning, and for what its worth he thought Cutler was over hyped and over rated.

I think a QB that can carry his team all season vs top competition and win the National Championship is a better option than a QB who didn't win at Vandy.

Kiper may not always know what he is talking about, but he knows more about the two QB's than me.

I also think Young would bring a lot more excitement to the franchise.

jdbillsfan
03-23-2006, 12:02 PM
I really like Vince Young; love his ability to be a team leader and catapult his team to a higher level. Arm strength is nice, and he has the ability to move. I think he has "it" that all the top-notch QB's do. Maybe it's the ability to make their teammates better.

But, I really doubt we'll take a QB high this year. If we do, Holcomb/Losman is gone.

I agree. I honestly don't think he will be there for the Bills and with the signing of Nall and having Losman and Holcomb, with a conservative coach, it won't happen.

I just think it could be a great opportunity if we did.

Mski
03-23-2006, 12:02 PM
vince young ran a 4.58 40 in his personal workout on what is supposed to be a fast track at his own university, he wouldnt do alot of the drop back throws that the scouts really wanted to see him attempt and he was over throuwing his recievers not to mention that i've seen 9 year olds with better throwing mechanics then young.

so if your looking for a slower then he should be for a run first qb who is an inaccurate passer who will tear his shoulder apart in less then 5 years then young is your man, i on the other hand think that cutler will be the best qb taken in the first round, nothing against leinart while his arm strength has improved oer the last year i think he most resembles pennington noodle arm but very accurate, however how well will he beable to handle bad weather outdoor games where he has to throw in swirling winds and snow?

BigGabes23
03-23-2006, 12:03 PM
Mort was also on this morning, and he said that Cutler has risen above Young. He also said he has had a long a successful career at vandy, and is not a flash in the pan. He just hasn't gotten any press before now... He also had an AWESOME workout in windy conditions...

jdbillsfan
03-23-2006, 12:06 PM
Mort was also on this morning, and he said that Cutler has risen above Young. He also said he has had a long a successful career at vandy, and is not a flash in the pan. He just hasn't gotten any press before now... He also had an AWESOME workout in windy conditions...

I trust Kiper over Mort when it comes to analyzing college talent. A lot of what teams are saying now is just a smoke screen anyway.

Teams may say that Cutler looks great, hoping someone else slides.

BigGabes23
03-23-2006, 12:15 PM
As was mentioned yesterday, I bet the bills trade down to someone wanting to take Cutler (knowing that detroit will take him at 9). (In Order) Vikes, Arizona, KC, Baltomore.

1. TRADE - NYJ - bush
2. NO - M Williams
3. TITANS - Linehert
4. TRADE - HOU - D Furgerson
5. GB -- Hawk
6. SF - V davis
7. OAK - V Young
8. BUF?

I trade down at take Buckley, Gnata, Winston Justice, Marcus Mcneil. DT is obvously a big hole, but at this point, I think LT is the biggest hole. If no trade is possible, I take Buckley

Philagape
03-23-2006, 12:19 PM
Pass.

patmoran2006
03-23-2006, 12:23 PM
Kiper was on Mike & Mike this morning, and for what its worth he thought Cutler was over hyped and over rated.

I think a QB that can carry his team all season vs top competition and win the National Championship is a better option than a QB who didn't win at Vandy.

Kiper may not always know what he is talking about, but he knows more about the two QB's than me.

I also think Young would bring a lot more excitement to the franchise.

Plus, Ice promised that he'd quit being a Bills fan if we took Young, that's a bonus (joking)

If it was up to me, and it sure as hell isn't. I would NOT jerk around with the QB position. JP MAY turn out to be good.. Nall MAY turn out to be a diamond in the rough. what u see is what u get with Holcomb..

I would take either Vince or Cutler in a SECOND and build my team around him. WE are for the most part dismantling this team as it is now and getting younger and staring over, so to speak.

NO Position in football is more important than QB.. And If Im starting over (and make no mistake,we are) I want my own franchise quarterback..

Take the Tennessee Titans.. They already have McNair and Volek.. I GUARENTEE you they take Leinart anyway.. They will (already are) starting to put some peices around him, and in 2-3 years Tennessee will be back, with an undisputed franchise leader in Leinart.

I want the lines addressed as much as the next guy, but if this is a 2-3 year project it aint getting done in one year.. There is NO franchise OL in this draft besides Brick, but there are three QB's regarded as potential franchise QB's..

IF JP doesnt work out (and I"m not saying he wont) Or Nall isn't Jake Delhomme, then you gotta take a QB next year and your another year behind.

FlyingDutchman
03-23-2006, 12:42 PM
If we were to draft a non-necessity position, i say we go with vernon davis. I hope SF goes after Deangelo Williams or someone else and leaves him on th board for us. Just imagine the speed on the field with Davis, Evans, Parrish, and Losman.

lynobx
03-23-2006, 12:49 PM
We already have a young, mobile, athletic quarterback of below average intelligence with little to no NFL experience. His name is JP Losman.

I would rather see the Bills get their act together and figure out how to develop Losman rather than taking another crap shoot by spending a high-round draft pick on a QB.

Couldn't have said it better. Young is in no way a sure thing, despite what some people here believe.

Mski
03-23-2006, 12:50 PM
If we were to draft a non-necessity position, i say we go with vernon davis. I hope SF goes after Deangelo Williams or someone else and leaves him on th board for us. Just imagine the speed on the field with Davis, Evans, Parrish, and Losman.

havent you said almost exactly that in a different thread?

lynobx
03-23-2006, 12:59 PM

. . . and no one to protect JP, block for Willis, or stop the run.

Dicknoze69
03-23-2006, 01:03 PM
Cutler reminds me of Kyle Boller's rise to being a draft stud. Maybe Philip Rivers is a more apt example. I'd rather take someone who was mighty successful in college, and essentially killed the best team in the nation by himself.

As for Young's slower than expected 40-time....we all know workout numbers are what matters. That's why Mike Mamula is a perennial Pro Bowler. He may throw funny, but so did Bernie Kosar and Philip Rivers. He has plenty of arm strength, and he threw very well at his workout according to many scouts.

We may not take him, but I feel he's gonna be a big-time winner in the NFL. He may not have gaudy stats, but he'll win games.

patmoran2006
03-23-2006, 01:05 PM

Yer wrong on two of those three accounts as he'd protect JP by getting open on quick routes all day long, preventing countless 3rd down and 9's and he'd block for Willis very well, as he's a very underrated blocker.

ask SUper Mario Williams if Davis can block as he almost drove him through a gatorade bucket.

patmoran2006
03-23-2006, 01:06 PM
Cutler reminds me of Kyle Boller's rise to being a draft stud. Maybe Philip Rivers is a more apt example. I'd rather take someone who was mighty successful in college, and essentially killed the best team in the nation by himself.

As for Young's slower than expected 40-time....we all know workout numbers are what matters. That's why Mike Mamula is a perennial Pro Bowler. He may throw funny, but so did Bernie Kosar and Philip Rivers. He has plenty of arm strength, and he threw very well at his workout according to many scouts.

We may not take him, but I feel he's gonna be a big-time winner in the NFL. He may not have gaudy stats, but he'll win games.

I agree with those last two lines 100%

Mski
03-23-2006, 01:19 PM

he may be a winner bust ask the fans where a "winner" at qb has gotten them? while vick may win games for them he wont take them to a superbowl

SABURZFAN
03-23-2006, 01:47 PM

if that's the case,i'll pass.what did kelly ever win? :down:

FlyingDutchman
03-23-2006, 01:49 PM

thats why i said if we were to draft a "non-necessity." i know we have bigger needs. but if we were to go on a position other than OL, DT, or SS, davis is tough to pass up.

FlyingDutchman
03-23-2006, 01:51 PM
havent you said almost exactly that in a different thread?

probably, i REALLY want this guy.

jdbillsfan
03-23-2006, 01:57 PM
I think Young could really help turn the franchise around. I think its more than just adding a quality player.

I think it could help the Bills get on TV more, sell jerseys and most important win.

This team does need line help in a big way, but at where they are in the draft I don't see the impact players still there that say a Vince Young or even Vernon Davis.

Ngata, Bunkley will all probably be nice players, but not to the extent of what Young can do for this franchise.

Also with his ability to make things happen on his feet, it can help our OL have time to develop.

I know it would be early to give up on JP, but it just seems Young will have a greater impact on the Franchise and the game.

jdbillsfan
03-23-2006, 02:00 PM
In regards to his 40 time, I heard he wasn't even planning on running, but once his teammates started doing it, his competitive juices started flowing.

That is a lot different than these guys that go to speed camps for months, just to train and run the 40. Vince did it on the field against top quality competition. That seems to matter more than on a track.

4.58 also isnt too shaby for someone 6-5 230 and that is considered a slow time for him...

patmoran2006
03-23-2006, 02:00 PM
I think Young could really help turn the franchise around. I think its more than just adding a quality player.

I think it could help the Bills get on TV more, sell jerseys and most important win.

This team does need line help in a big way, but at where they are in the draft I don't see the impact players still there that say a Vince Young or even Vernon Davis.

Ngata, Bunkley will all probably be nice players, but not to the extent of what Young can do for this franchise.

Also with his ability to make things happen on his feet, it can help our OL have time to develop.

I know it would be early to give up on JP, but it just seems Young will have a greater impact on the Franchise and the game.

This is a great post and I totally agree with you.. I'm using you as an example only because when I write the same thing I get blasted.

Plus, nobody likes me.. Makes my ilfe more interesting though.

Someone sent me an email after I wrote that the Bills are worse than they were on March 1st. They told me "hang myself." That was special. I love it.

Kenny
03-23-2006, 09:48 PM
In regards to his 40 time, I heard he wasn't even planning on running, but once his teammates started doing it, his competitive juices started flowing.

That is a lot different than these guys that go to speed camps for months, just to train and run the 40. Vince did it on the field against top quality competition. That seems to matter more than on a track.

4.58 also isnt too shaby for someone 6-5 230 and that is considered a slow time for him...

I dont buy that excuse. For a guy who's main threat is his legs, what the hell does he have to hide? He didnt run in Indy, and now he wasnt going to run in his pro day?

jdbillsfan
03-23-2006, 10:18 PM
I dont buy that excuse. For a guy who's main threat is his legs, what the hell does he have to hide? He didnt run in Indy, and now he wasnt going to run in his pro day?

That's just what Kiper reported on Mike & Mike. You don't have to believe it. 4.58 still seems like a good time to me.

He does it on the field to, so I don't think he has anything to hide.