PDA

View Full Version : Football Outsiders.com on Bills OL

patmoran2006
03-23-2006, 03:14 PM
Quote:
"Another issue is the offensive line, where the Bills need to find some young linemen and teach them to play together rather than bringing in retreads like Mike Gandy and Bennie Anderson. (The pulling guard is supposed to hit the hole before the running back, Bennie.) The best signings that the Bills could make in free agency would be young offensive linemen with just three or four years of experience who still might have their best years ahead of them. Atlanta free agent left tackle Kevin Shaffer is proven and still just 25 years old. Tackle Tom Ashworth and guard Stephen Neal are slightly older, but both have Super Bowl experience with the rival Patriots. The Bills could also try to steal a restricted free agent like Jacksonville guard Vince Manuwai."

Link: www.footballoutsiders.com (http://www.footballoutsiders.com)

(For the record, Neal, Ashworth and Manuwai are all unsigned)

ICE74129
03-23-2006, 03:19 PM
More crap from another hack site. and BTW....Ashworth is a Seahawk.

patmoran2006
03-23-2006, 03:21 PM
Hack site? Footballoutsiders is one of the biggest football websites in the world

Night Train
03-23-2006, 03:24 PM
Vince Manuwai..isn't he restricted ,with a 3rd rounder as comp ?

I'd still pay it for a starting G but we're already 0-2 on that angle and may be wasting time.

guy
03-23-2006, 03:27 PM
when did ashworth sign??

ICE74129
03-23-2006, 03:28 PM
- Seahawks; Ashworth Agree to Contract --
Thu Mar 23, 2006

The Boston Globe reports free-agent OT Tom Ashworth, who emerged from practice squad player to starter in four seasons with the Patriots, has agreed to terms on a deal with the Seahawks. Ashworth’s agent, Tom Mills, confirmed the agreement in principle.

patmoran2006
03-23-2006, 03:30 PM
- Seahawks; Ashworth Agree to Contract --
Thu Mar 23, 2006

The Boston Globe reports free-agent OT Tom Ashworth, who emerged from practice squad player to starter in four seasons with the Patriots, has agreed to terms on a deal with the Seahawks. Ashworth’s agent, Tom Mills, confirmed the agreement in principle.

Yep that just went down over the past hour.. That sucks.

I"d like to hear NE39's observation of him, I dont know that much about him, but he's knowledgable on the Pats, and I know his last name isn't "Gandy"

guy
03-23-2006, 03:33 PM
Ok, fox sports has agreat fa updater, but this signing is pretty recent, thanks.

ICE74129
03-23-2006, 03:37 PM
Ashworth will be a backup for them

justasportsfan
03-23-2006, 03:38 PM
Pat , if Mcnally thought highly of these players, they would be signed by the bills.

Just like when our coaches spoke highly of Bowens, we signed him. Marv isn't TD who get's players and tells McNally, " I know you didn't want this guy but we expect you to turn him into a probowler"

So shush Pat unless you are an OL coach in the NFL " and I know your last name isn't "McNally"

Mr. Pink
03-23-2006, 03:44 PM
Pat , if Mcnally thought highly of these players, they would be signed.

Just like when our coaches spoke highly of Bowens, we signed him.

So shush Pat unless you are an OL coach in the NFL " and I know your last name isn't "McNally"

Meanwhile apparently McNally thinks highly of Bennie Anderson, Mike Gandy, Chris Villarial who are still on the roster! And I know everyone cannot stand Bennie Anderson but we're not the OL coach so we must be wrong in our assessment of this guys inability to block your sister.

Also, Melvin Fowler must have been highly thought of. Even though no other teams did. Even the team that originally drafted him thought so HIGHLY of this guy they had a 7th round pick starting ahead of him named Paul Zukasus. This is after they drafted another center, Jeff Faine, in round 1 to replace Wohlbaugh. Thus moving Fowler to guard.

Just because NONE of us are coaches, scouts, etc. doesn't mean we know nothing about the game of football. We've all sat here for years watching the game and have seen these players play on sunday after sunday.

Some of us can just take off the rose petal glasses and wonder what the FO is doing. And can realize other teams have made good signings instead of just calling signings a waste, too much money, etc.

Ickybaluky
03-23-2006, 03:54 PM
Yep that just went down over the past hour.. That sucks.

I"d like to hear NE39's observation of him,

Good, not great player. Decent athlete (college TE who converted to OT), and versatile enough to play OT or OG. Probably played best at RT for the Pats, where he started all of 2003. Missed 2004 due to back injury, and basically was the Pats 6th OL last year, but played a lot during the season because of injuries. Does a good job against the pass, but is overmatched if lined up one-on-one at LT against a good rusher (of course, most are). Decent againt the run, but not a road grader.

His best attribute is his versatility. He played LT, RT and OG for the Pats at various times. He even filled as goal-line fullback (after Richard Seymour was hurt) and caught a TD pass last year. He would be a great 6th OL for a team that can afford that luxury, as he backs up all positions except C.

Seattle signed him for 5 years, and apparently he gets $4.5M total in the first season. Pretty good contract for a good, hard-working player who came up the hard way and made himself a role. I wish him well.

Dicknoze69
03-23-2006, 03:55 PM
Hack site? Footballoutsiders is one of the biggest football websites in the world

It may be one of the biggest, but I don't believe you can analyze football statistically. There are too many variables in a football play, let alone game, for statistics to measure everyone on the field.

Football isn't baseball. Statistics rarely tell the truth, and if you're careful enough massaging them, you can make them mean almost anything you want them to.

ICE74129
03-23-2006, 03:58 PM
Good, not great player. Decent athlete (college TE who converted to OT), and versatile enough to play OT or OG. Probably played best at RT for the Pats, where he started all of 2003. Missed 2004 due to back injury, and basically was the Pats 6th OL last year, but played a lot during the season because of injuries. Does a good job against the pass, but is overmatched if lined up one-on-one at LT against a good rusher (of course, most are). Decent againt the run, but not a road grader.

His best attribute is his versatility. He played LT, RT and OG for the Pats at various times. He even filled as goal-line fullback (after Richard Seymour was hurt) and caught a TD pass last year. He would be a great 6th OL for a team that can afford that luxury, as he backs up all positions except C.

Seattle signed him for 5 years, and apparently he gets $4.5M total in the first season. Pretty good contract for a good, hard-working player who came up the hard way and made himself a role. I wish him well.

NE, with his history and Seattles OL, I see him as a backup for both Tackle positions for him, hence the solid contract. Would that be your take?

justasportsfan
03-23-2006, 04:21 PM
Meanwhile apparently McNally thinks highly of Bennie Anderson, Mike Gandy, Chris Villarial who are still on the roster! And I know everyone cannot stand Bennie Anderson but we're not the OL coach so we must be wrong in our assessment of this guys inability to block your sister.

Also, Melvin Fowler must have been highly thought of. Even though no other teams did. Even the team that originally drafted him thought so HIGHLY of this guy they had a 7th round pick starting ahead of him named Paul Zukasus. This is after they drafted another center, Jeff Faine, in round 1 to replace Wohlbaugh. Thus moving Fowler to guard.

Just because NONE of us are coaches, scouts, etc. doesn't mean we know nothing about the game of football. We've all sat here for years watching the game and have seen these players play on sunday after sunday.

Some of us can just take off the rose petal glasses and wonder what the FO is doing. And can realize other teams have made good signings instead of just calling signings a waste, too much money, etc.

and I still trust McNally over your opinion of our players.

We can all agree that the new staff are doing things differently from what the failed past regime does things. Why is that a problem again? No matter what a winner like Matv does, you'll always have something to b!tch about even when we haven't seen anything on the field.

Meathead
03-23-2006, 04:26 PM
Footballoutsiders is one of the biggest football websites in the world
yeah but who wants to listen to a bunch of outsiders i want my sources to be insiders and therefore their site has no credibility

ICE74129
03-23-2006, 04:29 PM
Whats funny is those *****ing greatly about the talent left, I don't remember but didn't we have a fuggin moron for a S&C coach the last 2 years or so? I do know we have a pretty sharp guy running things now. So who knows what might happen with them stronger, leaner, faster. Better system that plays to thier strengths etc.

patmoran2006
03-23-2006, 05:01 PM
and I still trust McNally over your opinion of our players.

We can all agree that the new staff are doing things differently from what the failed past regime does things. Why is that a problem again? No matter what a winner like Matv does, you'll always have something to b!tch about even when we haven't seen anything on the field.

when marv, McNally and the boys start popping up on Billszone and offering us their insight I'll listen.. Til then I'll stick with posting my opinions on players and topics, the very same right you enjoy.

And I highly doubt any coach is ever going to say 'ya we signed this guy but he blows"

justasportsfan
03-23-2006, 05:04 PM
when marv, McNally and the boys start popping up on Billszone and offering us their insight I'll listen.. Til then I'll stick with posting my opinions on players and topics, the very same right you enjoy.

And I highly doubt any coach is ever going to say 'ya we signed this guy but he blows" It's getting repetitive though. You're getting obssessive compulsive about whining. Even the article you just oulled up is obviously something that agrees with your whining.

Oh well. it's fun blasting and calling you a whiner. :D. Don't take it personally though. I'm just keepin it real , you B1tch :D.

patmoran2006
03-23-2006, 05:07 PM
It's getting repetitive though. You're getting obssessive compulsive about whining. Even the article you just oulled up is obviously something that agrees with your whining.

Oh well. it's fun blasting and calling you a whiner. :D. Don't take it personally though. I'm just keepin it real , you B1tch :D.

Trust me dude, I got no problem with you.. When it comes to you
1- I'm used to it
2- At least you dont change your mind about something every week.. Something unimportant like your views to FA or the fans getting sick of "losing crap" and things of those nature.

It's all good..

justasportsfan
03-23-2006, 05:13 PM
:up:

OP knows it's nothing personal.

patmoran2006
03-23-2006, 05:20 PM
Cool.. It's never personal with me either, not even Italian STallion's "thread" earlier.. Even the people who hate me, at least they ALWAYS hate me and their opinions about the bills DONT change depending on the majority.

Its only personal when a certain mental midget says one thing and then 100% polar opposite next the following week, and then tries to chime in with the majority.. And since I cant personally attack him, i will simply pick apart every single post and comment he makes that contradicts himself.

That, and you suck too, dude.. bTW, I'm working on a column, my fake writer fake article self for Msnbc.com in regards to the "passion of Buffalo Bills fans". I didnt choose it, it was assigned to me.. and hopefully I can learn how to spell before that comes out, aka "Bill" shanahan..

It'll be out this weekend.. I think

justasportsfan
03-23-2006, 05:28 PM
That, and you suck too, dude.. bTW, I'm working on a column, my fake writer fake article self for Msnbc.com in regards to the "passion of Buffalo Bills fans". I didnt choose it, it was assigned to me.. and hopefully I can learn how to spell before that comes out, aka "Bill" shanahan..

It'll be out this weekend.. I think Is it a positive article or should we have tissues handy? :snicker:

patmoran2006
03-23-2006, 07:06 PM
It is, depending on your perspective, which knowing you it probably won't be.
LOL

feelthepain
03-23-2006, 07:33 PM
Pat , if Mcnally thought highly of these players, they would be signed by the bills.

Not if they don't want to play in Buffalo, that seems to be just as big an issue for the Bills as an Owner not willing to spend, basically one in the same.

Ickybaluky
03-23-2006, 07:57 PM
NE, with his history and Seattles OL, I see him as a backup for both Tackle positions for him, hence the solid contract. Would that be your take?

Yeah, good player to have. He has proven he can get the job done when called upon. Has shown versatility to play all the OL positions other than C. He may earn a starting job, but if not he is a valuable backup player.

I think the Pats would have shown more interest in retaining Ashworth if not for the fact they already have OT they like. Light and Kaczur are certain OT starters. Brandon Gorin is the swing OT and is experienced (and cheap). They don't want to move Mankins from OG, but he could eventually move to OT if needed (he played LT in college). Wesley Britt is a guy they have brought along. Britt was a very good OL at Alabama and was going to be a high pick, but broke his leg. He re-injured the leg in the Senior Bowl and slid to the 5th round in the draft (SD). He was cut after camp and spent last year on the Pats PS. He has a good shot at making the team this year.

Thus, Ashworth wasn't someone the Pats could afford to spend a lot of money to keep. However, he is a good player.

justasportsfan
03-23-2006, 08:02 PM
Not if they don't want to play in Buffalo, that seems to be just as big an issue for the Bills as an Owner not willing to spend, basically one in the same.

What's Lucas up to these days? :laughing:

feelthepain
03-23-2006, 08:11 PM
What's Lucas up to these days?

Teaching JP how to read, and showing him what a football is :laughing:

Nighthawk
03-23-2006, 09:27 PM
Ashworth will be a backup for them

yeah, that pretty much says how good he is! :lol:

patmoran2006
03-24-2006, 12:30 AM
Seattle is already talking about having ashworth at RT and moving their tackle to guard.