• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Football Outsiders.com on Bills OL

Quote:
    "Another issue is the offensive line, where the Bills need to find some young linemen and teach them to play together rather than bringing in retreads like Mike Gandy and Bennie Anderson. (The pulling guard is supposed to hit the hole before the running back, Bennie.) The best signings that the Bills could make in free agency would be young offensive linemen with just three or four years of experience who still might have their best years ahead of them. Atlanta free agent left tackle Kevin Shaffer is proven and still just 25 years old. Tackle Tom Ashworth and guard Stephen Neal are slightly older, but both have Super Bowl experience with the rival Patriots. The Bills could also try to steal a restricted free agent like Jacksonville guard Vince Manuwai."

Link: www.footballoutsiders.com

(For the record, Neal, Ashworth and Manuwai are all unsigned)

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • ICE74129
    Legendary Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Re: Football Outsiders.com on Bills OL

More crap from another hack site. and BTW....Ashworth is a Seahawk.

Comment

• patmoran2006
      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
      • Dec 2005

Hack site? Footballoutsiders is one of the biggest football websites in the world

Comment

• Night Train
        Retired - On Several Levels
        • Jul 2005

Vince Manuwai..isn't he restricted ,with a 3rd rounder as comp ?

I'd still pay it for a starting G but we're already 0-2 on that angle and may be wasting time.
        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• guy
          • Apr 2005

when did ashworth sign??

Comment

• ICE74129
            Legendary Zoner
            • Feb 2005

- Seahawks; Ashworth Agree to Contract --
            Thu Mar 23, 2006

The Boston Globe reports free-agent OT Tom Ashworth, who emerged from practice squad player to starter in four seasons with the Patriots, has agreed to terms on a deal with the Seahawks. Ashworth’s agent, Tom Mills, confirmed the agreement in principle.

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by ICE74129
              - Seahawks; Ashworth Agree to Contract --
              Thu Mar 23, 2006

The Boston Globe reports free-agent OT Tom Ashworth, who emerged from practice squad player to starter in four seasons with the Patriots, has agreed to terms on a deal with the Seahawks. Ashworth’s agent, Tom Mills, confirmed the agreement in principle.
              Yep that just went down over the past hour.. That sucks.

I"d like to hear NE39's observation of him, I dont know that much about him, but he's knowledgable on the Pats, and I know his last name isn't "Gandy"

Comment

• guy
                • Apr 2005

Ok, fox sports has agreat fa updater, but this signing is pretty recent, thanks.

Comment

• ICE74129
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Feb 2005

Ashworth will be a backup for them

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Pat , if Mcnally thought highly of these players, they would be signed by the bills.

Just like when our coaches spoke highly of Bowens, we signed him. Marv isn't TD who get's players and tells McNally, " I know you didn't want this guy but we expect you to turn him into a probowler"

So shush Pat unless you are an OL coach in the NFL " and I know your last name isn't "McNally"
                    sacrifice1
                    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                      Peterman Sucks!
                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                      Pat , if Mcnally thought highly of these players, they would be signed.

Just like when our coaches spoke highly of Bowens, we signed him.

So shush Pat unless you are an OL coach in the NFL " and I know your last name isn't "McNally"

Meanwhile apparently McNally thinks highly of Bennie Anderson, Mike Gandy, Chris Villarial who are still on the roster! And I know everyone cannot stand Bennie Anderson but we're not the OL coach so we must be wrong in our assessment of this guys inability to block your sister.

Also, Melvin Fowler must have been highly thought of. Even though no other teams did. Even the team that originally drafted him thought so HIGHLY of this guy they had a 7th round pick starting ahead of him named Paul Zukasus. This is after they drafted another center, Jeff Faine, in round 1 to replace Wohlbaugh. Thus moving Fowler to guard.

Just because NONE of us are coaches, scouts, etc. doesn't mean we know nothing about the game of football. We've all sat here for years watching the game and have seen these players play on sunday after sunday.

Some of us can just take off the rose petal glasses and wonder what the FO is doing. And can realize other teams have made good signings instead of just calling signings a waste, too much money, etc.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                        • Jul 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                        Yep that just went down over the past hour.. That sucks.

I"d like to hear NE39's observation of him,
                        Good, not great player. Decent athlete (college TE who converted to OT), and versatile enough to play OT or OG. Probably played best at RT for the Pats, where he started all of 2003. Missed 2004 due to back injury, and basically was the Pats 6th OL last year, but played a lot during the season because of injuries. Does a good job against the pass, but is overmatched if lined up one-on-one at LT against a good rusher (of course, most are). Decent againt the run, but not a road grader.

His best attribute is his versatility. He played LT, RT and OG for the Pats at various times. He even filled as goal-line fullback (after Richard Seymour was hurt) and caught a TD pass last year. He would be a great 6th OL for a team that can afford that luxury, as he backs up all positions except C.

Seattle signed him for 5 years, and apparently he gets $4.5M total in the first season. Pretty good contract for a good, hard-working player who came up the hard way and made himself a role. I wish him well.

Comment

• Dicknoze69
                          Just because my name is dicknoze,it doesn't mean I have balls in my mouth
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                          Hack site? Footballoutsiders is one of the biggest football websites in the world
                          It may be one of the biggest, but I don't believe you can analyze football statistically. There are too many variables in a football play, let alone game, for statistics to measure everyone on the field.

Football isn't baseball. Statistics rarely tell the truth, and if you're careful enough massaging them, you can make them mean almost anything you want them to.

God give me style and give me grace
                          God put a smile upon my face

Comment

• ICE74129
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by NE39
                            Good, not great player. Decent athlete (college TE who converted to OT), and versatile enough to play OT or OG. Probably played best at RT for the Pats, where he started all of 2003. Missed 2004 due to back injury, and basically was the Pats 6th OL last year, but played a lot during the season because of injuries. Does a good job against the pass, but is overmatched if lined up one-on-one at LT against a good rusher (of course, most are). Decent againt the run, but not a road grader.

His best attribute is his versatility. He played LT, RT and OG for the Pats at various times. He even filled as goal-line fullback (after Richard Seymour was hurt) and caught a TD pass last year. He would be a great 6th OL for a team that can afford that luxury, as he backs up all positions except C.

Seattle signed him for 5 years, and apparently he gets $4.5M total in the first season. Pretty good contract for a good, hard-working player who came up the hard way and made himself a role. I wish him well.
                            NE, with his history and Seattles OL, I see him as a backup for both Tackle positions for him, hence the solid contract. Would that be your take?

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by FunTimesYaY!
                              Meanwhile apparently McNally thinks highly of Bennie Anderson, Mike Gandy, Chris Villarial who are still on the roster! And I know everyone cannot stand Bennie Anderson but we're not the OL coach so we must be wrong in our assessment of this guys inability to block your sister.

Also, Melvin Fowler must have been highly thought of. Even though no other teams did. Even the team that originally drafted him thought so HIGHLY of this guy they had a 7th round pick starting ahead of him named Paul Zukasus. This is after they drafted another center, Jeff Faine, in round 1 to replace Wohlbaugh. Thus moving Fowler to guard.

Just because NONE of us are coaches, scouts, etc. doesn't mean we know nothing about the game of football. We've all sat here for years watching the game and have seen these players play on sunday after sunday.

Some of us can just take off the rose petal glasses and wonder what the FO is doing. And can realize other teams have made good signings instead of just calling signings a waste, too much money, etc.
                              and I still trust McNally over your opinion of our players.

We can all agree that the new staff are doing things differently from what the failed past regime does things. Why is that a problem again? No matter what a winner like Matv does, you'll always have something to b!tch about even when we haven't seen anything on the field.
                              sacrifice1
                              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

Working...
                              X