• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ibatiger
    Geaux Bills!
    • Mar 2006

Fun 'N Gun Offense?

I listened to Nall's interview after he signed and I heard him refer to the Bill's offense as "fun 'n gun". He was comparing it to The West Coase offense of the Packers. Will the Bills install a true fun 'n gun offense? If that is the case then I have an interesting fact for the board to consider. Nall was highly coveted by Spurrier. He offered him a scholly the first time he saw him at his QB camp. He tried to get him to change his commitment from LSU to Florida right up to signing day. It is no secret that the fun 'n gun offense places a premium on the thinking ability of the QB. Is it merely a coincidense that the Bills are going to a similar offense or some variation thereof, and once again a pretty good eye for talent has seemingly tabbed Nall to compete for the job of running it? Why did Levy apparently only express interest in Nall? Nall is very smart. His coach at NSU said it was like having a coach in the huddle when Nall was on the field. I have followed Nall's career since HS. I have a gut feeling he will be starting by the time the season starts. A lot can happen, but I'm thinking more and more like that is what will happen. It's like the pieces are falling in place. We'll know soon enough.
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Re: Fun 'N Gun Offense?

Not on Dick Jauron's life..

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• AndreReed83
      Dink or dunk, Mularkey just plain stunk.
      • Mar 2004

I'd like to see the Bills instill a power running game. They have the running backs to do it. Although the line is bad at pass blocking, they have big bodies that should be able to push people around. Wideouts who can stretch the field. One of the best blocking TE's in the league. And how many of the games during the Gregg Williams/Mike Mularkey regime would the Bills have won if any sort of running game would have been implimented?

"Look it up Thurman!!!" ~Marv Levy~
      "It's like someone walking into your house and punching your mother RIGHT in the the face." ~Darryl Talley ~

Comment

• Kerr
        Hall of Fame Zoner
        • Feb 2005

I sincerely doubt that. This offense should reflect vermiel's KC offense. And nall won't be leading it.

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

oh dear God I hope not. We tried the WC offense. Twice. It didn't work either time.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• jamze132
            Don’t hate…
            • Jun 2003

Here we go again, talking about the Bills future offense. Lets get down the basics before we start talking Fun n' Gun. Lets learn to not do a halfback pass on the goal line and lets learn how to provide the QB, whomever he may be, a second or two of more time.

Comment

• ibatiger
              Geaux Bills!
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by OpIv37
              oh dear God I hope not. We tried the WC offense. Twice. It didn't work either time.
              I don't know much about nfl offensive nomenclature, but the WC offense is totally different from the run 'n gun, aka fun 'n gun. From what I understand the fun 'n gun simply means that the QB changes the play to take advantage of the defense as he comes up to the line. The WC reads the defense and according to what the defense is in the QB and receivers should be on the same page as far as what to do. There is a progression to be followed for each situation. I think on the fun 'n gun the QB calls a particular play that is supposed to work against the defense showing. I know there are subtle differences, but the fun 'n gun is not just some crazy scheme. It sounds to me that it is mostly the QB (or coach signaling from sidelines) simply making a call at the latest possible moment to exploit the defense. If it is executed well I guess it could be a lot of fun because presumably the defense could not stop it. It takes a very accurate and SMART QB to run. Anybody who knows Nall knows he gives nothing up to anyone at the position in the smarts department. That was my main point. Perhaps Nall's characterization of the new Bill's offense was not accurate. His point might have been that the plays are "numbered" so a particular play can be called on the fly. Maybe that is the only simularity between what the Bill's are doing and the fun 'n gun.

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

I'm just concerned about a spread-out pass-happy offense, whether it's called the fun n gun or the WC. So far, it hasn't been run effectively in Buffalo and I'm not sure it's the best style for a team that has so many bad weather games.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• patmoran2006
                  Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                  • Dec 2005

You dont want to leave that defense on the field for a long time.

Jauron is a power running, control the clock kind of coach.

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                    You dont want to leave that defense on the field for a long time.

Jauron is a power running, control the clock kind of coach.
                    But Fairchild is not that kind of coordinator, so something has to give.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• patmoran2006
                      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                      • Dec 2005

Yep.. I think it comes down to how much better our OLINE gets between now and September, and who ends up QB'ing.

BTW, good point.. this is NEVER discussed.. Who Fairchild can work with best at QB may go a LONG way towards who is QB'ing this team.. Whether its someone we have now or a TOp 10 rookie.

Comment

• mybills
                        81 st zoner
                        • Jul 2002

Flutie managed just fine even in the bad weather, but RJ was another story. If Nall started & JP backed him up, it would be the same disaster.
                        I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

Working...
                        X