• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill Brasky
    Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
    • Jan 2004

All hopes for upgrading the OLine are now gone

Jets are close to signing Runyan... A couple Jet fans here at work have ESPN Insider and have told me... it's also all over the Gang Green.

Not that Runyan is a difference maker, but he would have been better than anything on the current roster. Bills are officially finishing in last place this year. I'll put money on it.
  • Meathead
    Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
    • Jul 2002

Re: All hopes for upgrading the OLine are now gone

One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

The Bills didn't wish to move Peters from RT and that canceled Runyan, who is strictly a RT.

I'd like to see another vet Guard before the Draft. A LT like Jon Scott of Texas or Coolege of Boise St. could be had in Round 2 of the Draft.

I was much more worried about the interior line positions. Fowler solved Center but Guard needs an upgrade.

If Peters stays at RT with TE Royal lining up next to him, then Willis will be running lots of sweeps to the right.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• lynobx
        • Jan 2005

Let's see. We have added Fowler at Center, we have a fast developing Preston, who can definitely be a fine Guard, and a RT in Peters, who many feel will be a star there. Villarrial can probably give us another servicable season, and Gandy did a decent job at LT last season.

I think we still need to draft an OT and a Guard with 2 of our first 4 picks, however, and, if we do, we'll be in good shape.

The sky isn't falling quite yet.

Comment

• EDS
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by lynobx
          Let's see. We have added Fowler at Center, we have a fast developing Preston, who can definitely be a fine Guard, and a RT in Peters, who many feel will be a star there. Villarrial can probably give us another servicable season, and Gandy did a decent job at LT last season.

I think we still need to draft an OT and a Guard with 2 of our first 4 picks, however, and, if we do, we'll be in good shape.

The sky isn't falling quite yet.
          Agreed.

Comment

• Iehoshua
            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Meathead

Comment

• acehole
              • Jan 2006

eth087.jpg

not all all hope son....

Remember some team has to cut a promising guard or tackle or place them on the practice squad ....where we can pick them off.

Also dont discount a player for an eric moulds trade......

Stay tuned..
              Hated by the stupid..
              Loved by their moms.

Comment

• Iehoshua
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by acehole
                Stay tuned..
                No! No! It's over! There is zero hope! If your team on paper is bad, then you have no chance! After all, with the new collective bargaining agreement, games are now played in early April! Next week is gonna suck when the Bills go 0-16. Twice.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                  Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                  • Jun 2005

Its the end of the world as we know it!! ITS THE END OF THE WORLD!!! OH NO!!

Comment

• jamze132
                    • Jun 2003

I do agree, we could have had a better offseason as far as the O-line goes. But since it didn't go as well wanted, we should commit ritual suicide in the parking lot of RWS.

jk

Comment

• Griz78
                      • Sep 2002

I'd rather get some young players via the draft then spend money on 33 - 35 yr old players. We need to develop a line that can be around some years together.

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Darth Takeo
                        No! No! It's over! There is zero hope! If your team on paper is bad, then you have no chance! After all, with the new collective bargaining agreement, games are now played in early April! Next week is gonna suck when the Bills go 0-16. Twice.
                        Originally posted by BillsIN05
                        Its the end of the world as we know it!! ITS THE END OF THE WORLD!!! OH NO!!
                        hyperbole aside- the lack of performance of the O line was a big reason why 05 was such a bad season. It hasn't been fixed. You guys can't possibly be optimistic about this season with the current O line- we improved at center and that's it. Gandy's mediocre, Villarial is old and lazy, and Bennie Anderson just sucks (although Preston may take the place of Anderson or Villarial, but he's not ready yet).
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Griz78
                          I'd rather get some young players via the draft then spend money on 33 - 35 yr old players. We need to develop a line that can be around some years together.
                          But guys we draft won't be ready to step in and contribute (with the possible exception of Brick, who we won't get anyway). While the young guys are learning, we need some guys who can play instead of these overweight turnstyles we have now.
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                            Zero for Zero!
                            • Mar 2003

How is 'all hope' gone when the draft has NOT even freakin' occurred yet?

As for the Bills finishing last ths year, it is very possible. TD left enough holes on this team that Marv can't re-build the team in one year.

PS: I would argue the line has already been upgraded with Fowler over Teague and Preston or whomever over Anderson. And also with the addition of Royal as a blocker so your original premise can be thrown out too.
                            Originally posted by mysticsoto
                            Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                              • Dec 2005

Although I wanted Runyan badly, I dont think so much the Bills dropped the ball at the tackle spot. It's pretty obvious that their plan is to draft a tackle in either the 1st or 2nd Round and start Gandy for another year. There's been worse things to happen in Bills history.

I am MUCH more disheartened that they did nothing at guard. As OP said, Anderson is a joke and Villarrial is old AND lazy (and he gets hurt every week). I sure as hell wouldn't count on Preston starting as for #1 I dont think he's ready and #2 I'm not sure he's the kind of guard you want in an offense where you pound the ball with Willis.

I'm sure a guard will emerge from the draft as a starter (based on assumption our first three picks will attack our biggest needs: T, G, DT),which is probably going to stick us with Villarrial for one more season. I dont believe for a second that Marv thinks this line is good enough, in fact he said it wasnt the day he was named GM. They'll work out a trade or get at least one new starter in through the draft besides Fowler.

While I have faith that Marv will still do more to get the O Line better, I'm dissapointed most because the lack of it through FA killed a lot of other draft day options that we might have had otherwise.. Can't move up for Brick now, you'd have to give up half your draft and we need to address too many holes there. It also kills the chance of taking a franchise playmaker like V Davis or a Polamalu-type safety like Huff or Jimmy Williams...

By the time the draft is over, Bennie Anderson will be finished as a starter and probably a Bill. Maybe we can get lucky and catch an upgrade for villarrial in june.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

Working...
                              X