• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

what have the Bills done to improve?

I'm frustrated because I see teams like the Jets and the Dolphins making moves to improve their teams, while the Bills do very little. Let's take a look to see where we've improved from last season, where we've regressed, and where we've broke even:

Note: this is long but there's a conclusion at the end.

1. Coaching: Face it, the coaching staff was a disaster last year. However, different isn't always good. Fewell has no experience as DC and Jauron has never been a winner. Fairchild ran an offense that is not consistent with what Jauron has done, and some say that Martz had a lot of control over the offense (although I'm not sure I buy that because the Rams offense played about the same when Martz was recuperating). I think I have to give this one an incomplete- its just too early to judge.

2. D-line: Even. We got Tripplett but lost Adams (and his attitude problem). We still only have one starting caliber DT. Re-signed Denney- why?

3. O-line: Regressed. We added Fowler, which is an improvement over Teague. We lost Mike Williams, which is addition by subtraction. But we still don't have enough O-linemen and the only Peters and Fowler are really starting caliber at this point.

4. Running backs: McGahee seems to be taking the off-season more seriously, so I'll say we improved here. Still would like to see a better back-up than Shaud.

5. Receivers: Even. Davis added, Reed re-signed, Moulds a ?. Davis isn't as big a name as Moulds, but I bet he could match Moulds' paltry numbers from the last few seasons.

6. DB's: Milloy gone, no replacement named. Clements re-signed despite an awful season. I'll go with even here, although an argument could be made for regression.

7. TE's: Royal is an upgrade over Campbell. Everett should be ready to play. Definite improvement here.

8. LB's. Spikes back, Crowell signed- improvement. Side note: Fletcher and Posey are old and it would be nice to have a replacement in mind, but certainly not high priority given the team's other needs.

9. QB. Even. Nall just adds a ? to the mix.

Conclusion: We improved at LB and TE. However, the OL is in worse shape than it was last year, the DL is at best even, and the coaching staff could go either way. To me, that shows that 2 of the 3 biggest problems from last season have yet to be addressed completely, and the one that has been addressed may or may not be an improvement. I'm irritated at how the Jets and Fish are upgrading while the Bills stand idly by and seem content with the horrid product we had on the field last season.

So, where is anyone finding any hope for this upcoming season? I just don't see it.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Re: what have the Bills done to improve?

This is just my opinion of course, but I'm telling you right now.. I STRONGLY, very strongly feel that one BIG, HUGE thing has led to the type of off-season and approach we've taken..

That's the fact that Mularkey waited a week too long to quit... If Wilson had known this and fired Mularkey when he fired Donahoe, I HONESTLY think that Levy would be the HEAD COACH of this team right now, not the GM.

I think we can all agree Marv wanted to be head coach, I mean do you remember his press conference after Mularkey quit and he didnt rule himself out?

I truly feel this team would be A LOT better off had Marv coached and Modrak became GM. We all KNOW Marv can coach with the best of them, but we dont know if he can be a good GM.

My point is this. If Mularkey quit/fired when Donahoe left, and Marv was coach.. one thing would be certain.. we'd have a bunch of different FA's in here right now.. Marv at 80-years old the approach would have been different. Guys like Fabini, Mawae, etc would have gotten much longer looks.

And Yes I know the draft the draft the draft.. Guess what.. If you spend $1 dollar in free agency or $20 million, you StILL Have the 8th pick, u just now have a lot more options.

I think this team would have been approaching things a lot differently had Levy been coach, as far-fetched as it seems now. And NOBODY would be doubting Marv as a head coach for a second.

So to me, it was timing. mularkey screwed us over one last time by waiting that week to quit.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• patmoran2006
      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
      • Dec 2005

and let me add that I think Perry F is a VERY good defensive coordinator and will be a H.C. someday.. There was your understudy.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

There's one huge problem: when was the last time a Bills draft pick contributed immediately? The only one in recent memory is Lee Evans. Granted, injuries to Everett, Parrish and McGahee kept them from helping out right away.

Now, hopefully Marv and Jauron will draft better than that idiot TD did. But I still don't hold out much hope for draft picks making us better in the short term (read: 2006).

And so far, this team doesn't seem like it's gotten any better. If it has, I'd like someone to explain to me HOW because I just don't see it.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• DarbyTheDinosaur
          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37
          3. O-line: Regressed. We added Fowler, which is an improvement over Teague. We lost Mike Williams, which is addition by subtraction. But we still don't have enough O-linemen and the only Peters and Fowler are really starting caliber at this point.
          You state two improvements (Fowler and ditching Fat Mike) and then there is no other change listed...how is this counted as regressing?

8. LB's. Spikes back, Crowell signed- improvement. Side note: Fletcher and Posey are old and it would be nice to have a replacement in mind, but certainly not high priority given the team's other needs.
          I still do not get why everyone hates Fletcher so much...sure he's older but look at his numbers with Buffalo.

2002 - 97 tackles, 50 assists, 3 sacks
          2003 - 96 tackles, 37, 2 sacks
          2004 - 92 tackles, 50, 3.5 sacks
          2005 - 104 tackles, 53, 4 sacks

It's not like we re-signed him...he's still under contract, he's still performing to expectations...how is this regression? You hit the nail on the head...his replacement is not a highpri this offseason...so why nail the front office on this?
          You people are depressing me...try this out so my doctor can take me off my meds!!!

op·ti·mism

1.a disposition or tendency to look on the more favorable side of events or conditions and to expect the most favorable outcome.

2.the belief that goodness pervades reality.

Comment

• patmoran2006
            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
            • Dec 2005

I HONESTLY think if we kept Sam Adams our DL would be fine with Tripplett coming in, and if we signed just ONE good guard in FA, everyone would be a lot more upbeat about the FA period we had.

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

It could be argued that Bennie Anderson and Tim Anderson are the worst two starters on the team, and upgrading both of them should have been the first two moves we made.

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by DarbyTheDinosaur
                You state two improvements (Fowler and ditching Fat Mike) and then there is no other change listed...how is this counted as regressing?

I still do not get why everyone hates Fletcher so much...sure he's older but look at his numbers with Buffalo.

2002 - 97 tackles, 50 assists, 3 sacks
                2003 - 96 tackles, 37, 2 sacks
                2004 - 92 tackles, 50, 3.5 sacks
                2005 - 104 tackles, 53, 4 sacks

It's not like we re-signed him...he's still under contract, he's still performing to expectations...how is this regression? You hit the nail on the head...his replacement is not a highpri this offseason...so why nail the front office on this?
                I put the thing about Fletcher as a side note- I think he's still serviceable, but he won't be for much longer. And the knock on him is that he gets big numbers but makes few big plays (tackles for losses, sacks, batted balls, etc.) Most of his tackles are after a 5 or 6 yard run.

The OL has regressed because we still don't have enough OL to get through the season. It's good that Williams is gone but who the hell is taking his place? Greg Jerman? He's an 04 MIAMI reject (remember how bad their line was that year?) We're one injury from being WORSE than last year.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• ICE74129
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Feb 2005

Comment

• Bill Brasky
                    Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
                    • Jan 2004

I'm frustrated because I see teams like the Jets and the Dolphins making moves to improve their teams, while the Bills do very little. Let's take a look to see where we've improved from last season, where we've regressed, and where we've broke even:

Note: this is long but there's a conclusion at the end.

1. Coaching: Face it, the coaching staff was a disaster last year. However, different isn't always good. Fewell has no experience as DC and Jauron has never been a winner. Fairchild ran an offense that is not consistent with what Jauron has done, and some say that Martz had a lot of control over the offense (although I'm not sure I buy that because the Rams offense played about the same when Martz was recuperating). I think I have to give this one an incomplete- its just too early to judge.

2. D-line: Even. We got Tripplett but lost Adams (and his attitude problem). We still only have one starting caliber DT. Re-signed Denney- why?

4. Running backs: McGahee seems to be taking the off-season more seriously, so I'll say we improved here. Still would like to see a better back-up than Shaud.

5. Receivers: Even. Davis added, Reed re-signed, Moulds a ?. Davis isn't as big a name as Moulds, but I bet he could match Moulds' paltry numbers from the last few seasons.

6. DB's: Milloy gone, no replacement named. Clements re-signed despite an awful season. I'll go with even here, although an argument could be made for regression.

7. TE's: Royal is an upgrade over Campbell. Everett should be ready to play. Definite improvement here.

9. QB. Even. Nall just adds a ? to the mix.

Conclusion: We improved at LB and TE. However, the OL is in worse shape than it was last year, the DL is at best even, and the coaching staff could go either way. To me, that shows that 2 of the 3 biggest problems from last season have yet to be addressed completely, and the one that has been addressed may or may not be an improvement. I'm irritated at how the Jets and Fish are upgrading while the Bills stand idly by and seem content with the horrid product we had on the field last season.

So, where is anyone finding any hope for this upcoming season? I just don't see it.
                    you better watch out with posts like this OP... you will have guys like BillsIN05 callin you ******, ******, idiot, homo, and every other high-class word they teach in the mass. educational system.

Comment

• EDS
                      • Jan 2003

There's one huge problem: when was the last time a Bills draft pick contributed immediately? The only one in recent memory is Lee Evans. Granted, injuries to Everett, Parrish and McGahee kept them from helping out right away.

Now, hopefully Marv and Jauron will draft better than that idiot TD did. But I still don't hold out much hope for draft picks making us better in the short term (read: 2006).

And so far, this team doesn't seem like it's gotten any better. If it has, I'd like someone to explain to me HOW because I just don't see it.
                      Schobel had around 8 sacks as a rookie; Jonas Jennings started as a rookie; Clements started as a rookie; McGahee didn't play his rookie year but played well his first year he saw action.

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
                        mature, insightful response.

If I'm just crying, please tell me what I said that was wrong and how we're better than last year. Cuz I just don't see it.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• patmoran2006
                          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by ICE74129
                          Yep.. Only "babies" would ever question whether THEIR FAVORITE football team has improved at all.

Comment

• DarbyTheDinosaur
                            • Dec 2004

I put the thing about Fletcher as a side note- I think he's still serviceable, but he won't be for much longer. And the knock on him is that he gets big numbers but makes few big plays (tackles for losses, sacks, batted balls, etc.) Most of his tackles are after a 5 or 6 yard run.

The OL has regressed because we still don't have enough OL to get through the season. It's good that Williams is gone but who the hell is taking his place? Greg Jerman? He's an 04 MIAMI reject (remember how bad their line was that year?) We're one injury from being WORSE than last year.
                            True and accurate points...thanks for the clarification.

Tackles after 5 or 6 yard runs could be reduced if the d line was slowing down some pups. Another solid and hungry DT w/ Tripplet and this may get better. I just look forward to our LB corps next season. Fletch is solid...TKO (we hope) can come back to 85-90% of waht he was and still be a beast and I think Crowell proved he belongs more so than Posey. TKO was the glue on this D. We lost him and we lost it all.
                            You people are depressing me...try this out so my doctor can take me off my meds!!!

op·ti·mism

1.a disposition or tendency to look on the more favorable side of events or conditions and to expect the most favorable outcome.

2.the belief that goodness pervades reality.

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by jfreeman
                              you better watch out with posts like this OP... you will have guys like BillsIN05 callin you ******, ******, idiot, homo, and every other high-class word they teach in the mass. educational system.
                              the old shoot-the-messenger syndrome. Some people would rather live in their fantasy world than face reality.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X