X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Marv vs. TD

We can only speculate what MArv is like as a GM since he's barely held that position and relies a lot on his staffs advice whether it's Modrak or coaches while TD was a know it all, Nazzi.

TD was a gambler. He wasn't scared to make gutsy hirings or draft question marks. The guy was ballsy. Drafts like Willis and giving up a lot for JP. Even Mike Williams had question marks about being lazy in college. Hiring big named players like Drew and Milloy regardless of whether they fit into a scheme or not or whether they had huge caps and seems like he hires them with or without the coaches consent/blessing. This is where he lost his job vs. Cowher and failed miserably here in buffalo.

Marv seems to be the opposite. He hires lesser named players but seems to keep insisting they fit into their scheme. He doesn't jump into big named players and their cap if he feels he can find cheap role players who only need to do what they are told to do for the team to be a cohessive unit. Sure, he had Bruce Smith, Kelly and thurman. I guess it's safe to say it was Poilan who made those decisions and Marv had to piece things together. He get's rid of Sam and Miloy because he thinks they don't fit into the type of D they want.

Now here's the pint I am trying to make..... Is he willing to gamble on players like Young or Ngata who have question marks or will he go with players who are sure picks. If Jp wasn't on this team I could see TD taking a risk on Young but not Marv.

I can also see them trading down not because of need but because he seems to prefer role players and not stars which is what you will get early in the fist rd.

Pat and OP you're welcome to chime in. This is neither a negative or positive thread and there is neither wrong nor right. Just observations or opinions.
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Re: Marv vs. TD

I dont think Ngata is a gamble at all. When Tripplett was signed I'm almost positive that Levy said the other Defensive Tackle would be bigger. Maybe it wasn't marv but i'm almost sure it was.

Now while I personally think cutting Adams was a horrible move as it limits our options a #8, I think that marv was thinking he'd (ngata) be available, much younger and cheaper as well. Obviously, best-case he will throw guards and centers all over the place and allow Fletch and TKO to make a lot of tackles and big plays.

I think it would be a bigger surprise, and in some ways a bigger "gamble" to PASS on Ngata assuming he's there at eight than if he is.

In fact, Any first pick who isnt a DT or OL would be considered a gamble.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
      I dont think Ngata is a gamble at all. When Tripplett was signed I'm almost positive that Levy said the other Defensive Tackle would be bigger. Maybe it wasn't marv but i'm almost sure it was.

Now while I personally think cutting Adams was a horrible move as it limits our options a #8, I think that marv was thinking he'd (ngata) be available, much younger and cheaper as well. Obviously, best-case he will throw guards and centers all over the place and allow Fletch and TKO to make a lot of tackles and big plays.

I think it would be a bigger surprise, and in some ways a bigger "gamble" to PASS on Ngata assuming he's there at eight than if he is.

In fact, Any first pick who isnt a DT or OL would be considered a gamble.
      I thought the knock on Ngata is that he takes plays off while Bunkley is a high motor type of player

Would Davis be a gamble or a sure thing if he's available? Same with Huff. Not needs but safe picks that won't be busts.
      sacrifice1

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

Huff and Davis are neither needs nor gambles when you factor in what the Bills DONT have.

Having said that, if I got to be marv levy when I'm on the clock, I would take one of them (assuming they are both there) and here is why:

With Davis, throw out the 80 catches, 1100 yards and 12 TD's he's likely to have. I dont think any WR on this team can take pressure off Lee Evans, he's going to be blanketed like crazy as long as Reed or Davis is option #2. For a young QB, Davis will move the chains and get the QB into the flow of the game. He's MORE than a good enough blocker to use a 2TE set, and he's FAST enough to line up on the outside. With Davis on board, I think he changes the whole complex of the offense and makes the other 10 players on the field better. Defensive coordinators will **** themselves trying to game-plan for him.
        (I also think he'll gone to SF at six as they get this concept with a young Alex Smith)

With Huff.. He can play everywhere in the secondary and everytime I watched him on TV ( I watched a lot of UT football) he made big plays. He reminds me a ton of Troy Polamalu and he's a better athlete. He can start at SS from day one as he is both a good cover and a physical hitter. He can also be your #1 CB should Nate leave town next year.

At the end though, I think marv is taking Ngata or Bunkley.. In our defense I guess Ngata makes more sense next to Tripplett as he's huge, though I think Bunkley will be a better pro.

Comment

• patmoran2006
          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
          • Dec 2005

Two other quick things I forgot to throw out:

1) With Davis.. I think he helps McGahee greatly. ROyal is no threat to catch a lot of passes. Davis sure as hell is. Teams as of now are going to double Evans and STOCK up on the run.. Davis' presence on the field makes you think twice as if you get burned on a blitz by a quick slant or out to DAvis he's taking it to the house.. IN a nutshell, when he's on the field, you HAVE to respect the play-fake, hence you cant focus soley on the run.

2) I still wouldnt rule out the possibility of Marv taking Young or Cutler either if one of them are there. I sense (fear) a QB circus all season long at the position, and for better or worse (for 2006) one of these QB's would be either given the keys from day one or would at worst get a lot of playing time before starting in 2007.

Comment

• justasportsfan
            • Jul 2002

But we have Sape

Seriously, after we resigned Reed and Royal, I doubt Marv goes for Davis unless we get rid of Moulds and he plans to convert Davis into a wr.

On Bunkley and Ngata, that could change if we end up getting a player or trade picks by trading Moulds.
            sacrifice1

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

At the end of the day, I think there's no way that marv doesnt take either Ngata or Bunkley..

I'm REALLY hoping that Davis is gone so I dont have to suffer through those 15 minutes.. I think Huff is going to be attractive, but he'll pass if he's there.. There is pretty good safety depth, as there is with DT's and OT's.

THe crop is thinner at starting quality guards and WR's.. So if we're going to take a guard to start I'd imagine it will be in round two. Which at the end of the day I think marv goes:
              1- DT
              2- G
              3- OT

Though I TOTALLY wish for Davis, Huff or Young.. I think the MAJORITY of fans will go crazy is Marv doesnt address the line right off the bat, since he's hardly made a dent in it via FA. We have 4 , first day picks as of now,I'd bet three of the four are on the line.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

Two other quick things I forgot to throw out:

1) With Davis.. I think he helps McGahee greatly. ROyal is no threat to catch a lot of passes. .
                Unless Royal blocks and Willis is made to catch more balls coming from the backfield. Fairchilds offensive philosophy involves the rb catching a lot of balls.
                2) I still wouldnt rule out the possibility of Marv taking Young or Cutler either if one of them are there. I sense (fear) a QB circus all season long at the position, and for better or worse (for 2006) one of these QB's would be either given the keys from day one or would at worst get a lot of playing time before starting in 2007.
                Maybe Cutler but Young is a risk in every sense of the word. He sidearms his throws, runs, and not very smart. Not Marv's type of player.

As far as Cutler is concerned, he could be a Mark Bulger for Fairchild or Kelly for Marv.
                sacrifice1

Comment

• northernbillfan
                  Hello, I'm Mike and I'm a Bills fan.

Administrator Emeritus
                  • Jul 2002

Now this a fine example of how to behave while at the Zone.

Thanks guys.
                  When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

Here's another thing, in Youngs workout, none of the bills head honchos like Marv or Dick were there. The press would've easily taken note of that like they did Saban and the rest.
                    sacrifice1

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by northernbillfan
                      Now this a fine example of how to behave while at the Zone.

Thanks guys.
                      shutup or add some football stuff. .

Na seriously, had too much coffee today. Was in a playful mood to pick on Pat and OP. Otherwise it's all good.
                      sacrifice1

Comment

• ICE74129
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Feb 2005

LMAO Make sure you all kiss while you're at it.

Marv isnt going to run this draft. He, DJ, the coaches etal will sit down with Modrak and formulate a plan. But make no mistake this is one of the reasons modrak is here.

Looking at Modrak's past you can bet both lines will be the priority.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
                          LMAO Make sure you all kiss while you're at it.
                          No,no,no, There's no kissing on my thread.

Originally posted by ICE74129
                          Marv isnt going to run this draft. He, DJ, the coaches etal will sit down with Modrak and formulate a plan. But make no mistake this is one of the reasons modrak is here.

Looking at Modrak's past you can bet both lines will be the priority.
                          Read the first post. I already stated what type of Gm he is.
                          sacrifice1

Comment

• finsrclowns
                            • Apr 2004

The Ngata pick is so obvious for us, it's hard to see Marv doing anything else. Good DT's are hard to find and we have a grand canyon sized hole there. I like Bunkley but you don't find too many guys with Ngata's size and athletic ability. Truly I'll be shocked if he isn't the pick.

Marv needs to go meat and potatoes with this draft. DL and OL in rounds 1 and 2 sounds logical to me and I doubt you'll see Marv fooling around with skill players early when our lines are swiss cheese.
                            finsrclowns

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by finsrclowns
                              The Ngata pick is so obvious for us, it's hard to see Marv doing anything else. Good DT's are hard to find and we have a grand canyon sized hole there. I like Bunkley but you don't find too many guys with Ngata's size and athletic ability. Truly I'll be shocked if he isn't the pick.

Marv needs to go meat and potatoes with this draft. DL and OL in rounds 1 and 2 sounds logical to me and I doubt you'll see Marv fooling around with skill players early when our lines are swiss cheese.
                              check this out. Look at Moolarkeys face. He looks like he's ready to kill Hitler. http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3157
                              sacrifice1

Comment

Working...
                              X