PDA

View Full Version : 1988 The Buffalo News Article

AndreReed83
03-25-2006, 02:30 AM
My dad was going through some boxes, and he found a bunch of newspapers from 1988, probably from when we made my second trip to see the grandparents (I was born in 1986). Anywho, here's an article I found very interesting, so I thought I would share it (and probably reshare it) for most of you.

Shula: Bills Team to Beat in East

MIAMI -- Don Shula, the man whose Miami Dolphins teams have dominated the AFC East for so many years, has a favorite for this year's title.

It's none other than the Buffalo Bills.

The other four coaches in the division, including Marv Levy of the Bills, said the 1988 race for the AFC East championship was too close to call, but not Shula. He broke the tie in favor of the Bills, who finished 7-8 last season and were 6-6 in nonstrike games.

"If I had to pick a team, I'd pick Marv's team because of the fine job they've done in building a defensive football team that can put pressure on the passer."

Levy talked of needing another pass rusher to fill out his defensive unit, to which Shula commented:

"I hate to think of Buffalo's pass rushing being any better than it was last year with Bruce Smith on one side and Cornelius Bennett on the other."

Shula also cited the young players the Bills have drafted in the defensive secondary in recent years, the addition of linebacker Shane Conlan last year and the presence of quaterback Jim Kelly.

"Kelly's coming into his third year," Shula noted.

The AFC East coaches gathered here for their annual press conference, an effort to drum up some off-season interest and set the stage for the April 24 college draft. All five head coaches in the division turned out. Besides Shula and Levy, Ron Meyer of Indianapolis, Raymond Berry of New England and Joe Walton of the New York Jets were present for the two-day event.

One hot topic was the difference between the NFC and the AFC. The NFC has won the last four Super Bowls with San Francisco, Chicago, the New York Giants, and the Washington Redskins, who defeated AFC champion Denver, 42-10, Jan. 31 in San Diego.

Berry and Walton suggested that there are differences between the two conferences.

"The goal for our team and the AFC period is we've got to play more physical football," Berry said.

Walton said that Jets were taking a new approach by selecting players with greater size. Another reason the NFC has had a recent advantage in the Super Bowl is the "the size of their people," Walton maintained.

Shula, Levy and Meyer argued that there was no material difference between the two conferences.

"I don't agree that we are not as physical as the NFC," Shula said. "If you look at the record, not just at the Super Bowl, you'll find it's very competitive. For some reason, they have dominated in the Super Bowl."

"We (the Dolphins) have had a lot of success playing against the NFC teams," Shula pointed out. "We don't feel we're not as physical as any team we're playing against."

Levy suggested if a team other than Denver, an acknowledged "finesse" team, had represented the AFC Super Bowl, no difference between the conferences would be apparent.

"Had Cleveland been in the game instead, I don't think the physical disparity would have been there," Levy said.

Meyer also disagreed with the general assertion that NFC teams are physically superior to AFC teams.

"Our offensive line can be just as dominating as the Washington Redskins," Meyer said.

ICE74129
03-25-2006, 06:40 AM
God I miss those days. Build through the draft and win with good coaching.

Mitchy moo
03-25-2006, 07:57 AM
I started crying midway through your post, times I really miss as well.

My mom was alive back then as well, she was one my best friends & loved the Bills like me. If I could just have one day back then, just one day.

patmoran2006
03-25-2006, 08:13 AM

That was the year we took a running back in round two.. Thurman Thomas.

Shula had much more than a pass rush to deal with after that.

ICE74129
03-25-2006, 08:41 AM
Marv and Tom M are getting us back to those days. Just be patient.

PromoTheRobot
03-25-2006, 01:50 PM

That was the year we took a running back in round two.. Thurman Thomas.

Shula had much more than a pass rush to deal with after that.

Pat, If you were around in 1988, I could imagine what you would have said about Thurman Thomas: "What the hell are the Bills thinking! Drafted a one-legged running back! What a bunch of idiots! Polian should be fired!"

PTR

ICE74129
03-25-2006, 01:51 PM
Pat, If you were around in 1988, I could imagine what you would have said about Thurman Thomas: "What the hell are the Bills thinking! Drafted a one-legged running back! What a bunch of idiots! Polian should be fired!"

PTR

:roflmao:

patmoran2006
03-25-2006, 02:55 PM
Good one....

and Ice I could imagine if you were around in 1988 too. You would have logged on here to see what EVERYBODY else thought before forming your "opinion"

Slim
03-25-2006, 03:15 PM
Good one....

and Ice I could imagine if you were around in 1988 too. You would have logged on here to see what EVERYBODY else thought before forming your "opinion"

He probably thought we were super bowl caliber before the 84 and 85 seasons :shakeno: