• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ICE74129
    Legendary Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Pat Kirwan on NFLN.

Very interesting things to say....about New England. He says that their M.O. has been to sit out the first two weeks of FA, Let the higher priced guys go (ie. 'name players') then pickup Bargain FA's and draft.

Hummm....Does that sound familiar? Other than finding some bargains right off of the bat, it seems Modrak/Marv are doing the same thing.

Now we aren't NE right now, but this is the same approach Kraft and Pioli have taken since taking over the Franchise back when they REALLY sucked. I mean doormat of the league sucked. It has worked for them. Modrak did the same in Philly. Mid tier FA's and rely on the draft mostly. Granted there comes a time when you need to go get one or two top guys over a 2 year span or so.

Although it's not glamorous or exciting for the rabid fan base who is used to Tom Donahoe stupidly throwing big money at names, it's the right approach to start the process to get back to fielding a winner.

BTW...NE right now has about 20 mill of cap space available. We have about 8-9 mill I believe before the Moulds potential trade. Kirwan said look for them to step it up in regards to bargain FA's starting this week. So that says to me Pioli and BB think there are still good FA's that can contribute out there.
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Pat Kirwan on NFLN.

We still need a couple of more lineman, at least one for both sides of the ball.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• ICE74129
      Legendary Zoner
      • Feb 2005

Oh and in regards to QB's...He only sees/ hears of about 4-5 teams tops going after the 3 QB's. Buffalo wasn't mentioned of course.

He still thinks the Jets will want to trade both of thier firsts to New Orleans to get Lionart. That leaves Tenn Taking Young. Cuttler will be up for grabs if he doesn't go to Oakland.

Comment

• ICE74129
        Legendary Zoner
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by YardRat
        We still need a couple of more lineman, at least one for both sides of the ball.
        Agreed and we can fill both of those with the #8's alone. I would love to see Modrak be able to grab both of Denvers picks OR just move down 2-3 spots and pick up a 2nd rounder. We can still possibly go DT with the first round pick and get TWO Starters on the OL with the two 2nd rounders.

Comment

• patmoran2006
          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
          • Dec 2005

There isnt much of proven vets left on either side of the line in FA now, and they're both old, which from what I seen is exactly what we're staying away from .

Jackson defense and Hopkins on offense.

At this point, I doubt we'll even sign another FA before the draft. If we do, it will be an 'under the radar' signing

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• patmoran2006
            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
            • Dec 2005

As much as i HOPE we do make a trade with the draft pick,its no likely.. THere are 32 team message boards playing gm right now where they move up or down.

The realistic probability is we stay exactly where we are.. And at eight it comes down to Ngata or Bunkley, I am hope its Bunkley. He reminds of me a ton of chicago's Tommie Harris..

Unless of course, Hawk slips through the cracks to 8, which then becomes a no-brainer.

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

Kirwan and others have said it, but I dont see the Jets trading up and giving up picks to get Leinart when they already got pennington AND Ramsey, especially when they will get either Brick or Williams.

Pennington showed good faith by taking that crazy pay cut to stay with the team, then they traded a 6th for Ramsey. That would be stupid imo to give up 2 first rounders and maybe even more to get ANOTHER QB, when a franchise OT or DE will fall into your lap at 4, Not to mention another first rounder at 29.. They REALISTICALLY could get Brick AND Nick Mangold or a guard in the first round and totally rebuild the left side of their line in ONE draft.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
                Very interesting things to say....about New England. He says that their M.O. has been to sit out the first two weeks of FA, Let the higher priced guys go (ie. 'name players') then pickup Bargain FA's and draft.

Hummm....Does that sound familiar? Other than finding some bargains right off of the bat, it seems Modrak/Marv are doing the same thing.

Now we aren't NE right now, but this is the same approach Kraft and Pioli have taken since taking over the Franchise back when they REALLY sucked. I mean doormat of the league sucked. It has worked for them. Modrak did the same in Philly. Mid tier FA's and rely on the draft mostly. Granted there comes a time when you need to go get one or two top guys over a 2 year span or so.

Although it's not glamorous or exciting for the rabid fan base who is used to Tom Donahoe stupidly throwing big money at names, it's the right approach to start the process to get back to fielding a winner.

BTW...NE right now has about 20 mill of cap space available. We have about 8-9 mill I believe before the Moulds potential trade. Kirwan said look for them to step it up in regards to bargain FA's starting this week. So that says to me Pioli and BB think there are still good FA's that can contribute out there.

Role players never make waves in FA but role players get the job done.
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• patmoran2006
                  Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                  • Dec 2005

NE has plenty of role players but they also have PLENTY of stars during their Super Bowl run.

Ted Washington, Lawyer Milloy, Ty Law, Rodney Harrison, Richard Seymour, Ted Washington, Willie McGinest, Corey Dillon just to name a few..

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

I think if given a choice, the Titans will take Cutler over Young if Lienart isn't there.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• patmoran2006
                      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                      • Dec 2005

I think if given a choice, the Titans will take Cutler over Young if Lienart isn't there.
                      Me too.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                        NE has plenty of role players but they also have PLENTY of stars during their Super Bowl run.

Ted Washington, Lawyer Milloy, Ty Law, Rodney Harrison, Richard Seymour, Ted Washington, Willie McGinest, Corey Dillon just to name a few..
                        Players that fit what they were trying to do. I liked Sam Adams but if he didn't fit then so be it.
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• patmoran2006
                          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                          Players that fit what they were trying to do. I liked Sam Adams but if he didn't fit then so be it.
                          I agree I'm just saying those guys aren't role players.. Each year NE has went out and gotten 2-3 key players they've needed combined with their draft and role players..

They sure as hell aint free spenders like Washington either. But they will spend the bucks when they NEED to.

Buffalo or any other rebuilding team has a long way to go before they reach a NE status (not suggesting anyone thinks we are there now)

But the thing that everyone seems to forget regarding the Pats is forget the talent, look at the ridiculous coaching staff they have.. that's crazy how many great assistants and coordinators they churn out.

Id be pumped if Shane Matthews was our staring QB and Shaud Williams was our top runner if you get me BB running the team, Weiss the offense and Crennel the defense for a few years.

Comment

• ICE74129
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Feb 2005

If they dont' they are dumb.

Comment

• PromoTheRobot
                              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006

How many of these players were "stars" when they got to NE? Not many.

PTR
                              10 Commandments of the D
                              1. Never stop Rocking.
                              2. Legalize all drugs.
                              3. Quit your day job.
                              4. All Religion should be taxed.
                              5. Cut down on carbohydrates.
                              6. F**k her gently.
                              7. Never believe what people tell you after a show.
                              8. Always take a spoon full of Metamucil after a heavy day of eating.
                              9. Get at least 9 hours of sleep a day.
                              10. Eatin' ain't cheatin'.

Comment

Working...
                              X