Marv's strategy and the problem with it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Marv's strategy and the problem with it...

So, we had no big-name FA signings, not even for the horrid line. Marv seems content to build by using the draft and evaluating some of the young talent on this team. We have a lot of "potential" in guys like JP, Reed, Everett, McGahee. Jefferson, Evans, Peters, etc- how much of it will ever be reached remains to be seen.

Now, this is probably the better strategy. As many posters here have pointed out, the Redskins throw money at big names, and it never seems to get them anywhere (although they did make the playoffs last year, they were rather mediocre using this strategy for the previous 3-4 seasons). Successful teams like the Patriots and Eagles have built around a small number of big names and a lot of competent if unspectacular role players.

Here is the problem: Marv's apparent strategy is not one that will help us win now. If he does it right, we'll be better off in the long run- 07, 08 etc. But 2006 seems to be a sacrificial year- face it, we're REBUILDING. The most we can hope for in 06 is being better at the end of the year than we'll be at the start of it. While I know this is what has to be done, it still angers and frustrates me that we'll have to suffer through at least one more horrid season before we can enjoy football again.

Damn, I hate Tom Donahoe.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • ICE74129
    Legendary Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Re: Marv's strategy and the problem with it...

I will say it again, BB, Pioli did the same thing. I also said this is a TWO offseason process.

I for one wish we could fast forward to September 07 so I can start passing out 'I told ya so's

Two offseasons...More if they keep screwing around with the QB position. 3-4 if they draft any Rookie QB and insert him.

Comment

• SquishDaFish
      Lets GO BUFFALO!!
      • Jun 2005

I like you want to Win NOW. And am sick of waiting. The reason being is the crap Donahoe put us through with all the hope and shattered dreams every year. But I do believe Marv is doing it the right way and prob the way Modrak always wanted to do it...As much as it kills me to say the PATRIOT WAY. But seeing he is doing it that way I can be patient 1 more year. Maybe you never know we will gel early and have a competative year this year which would be nice. But at least we know next year we should be showing signs of something special.

LETS GO BUFFALO!!

Comment

• ICE74129
        Legendary Zoner
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BillsIN05
        I like you want to Win NOW. And am sick of waiting. The reason being is the crap Donahoe put us through with all the hope and shattered dreams every year. But I do believe Marv is doing it the right way and prob the way Modrak always wanted to do it...As much as it kills me to say the PATRIOT WAY. But seeing he is doing it that way I can be patient 1 more year. Maybe you never know we will gel early and have a competative year this year which would be nice. But at least we know next year we should be showing signs of something special.

LETS GO BUFFALO!!
        And after these guys get a year with DJ and crew they will be telling their FA friends how good it is to play under DJ Etc. It will make us a more attractive team and easier to sign a couple higher end FA's. But if anyone here thinks we are going to go out and do what Cleveland did, or what Washington has done, you are going to be dissapointed.

Even next year, Mid tier FA's on the way up, draft well. That is the way great teams are built

Comment

• EDS
          • Jan 2003

I don't think it is a problem so much as it is an unfortunate reality. That said, I much rather see Marv do it the right way rather then the Redskin way. I am just looking for progress this season.

Comment

• ICE74129
            Legendary Zoner
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by EDS
            I don't think it is a problem so much as it is an unfortunate reality. That said, I much rather see Marv do it the right way rather then the Redskin way. I am just looking for progress this season.
            I think 5 preseason games couldnt' have come at a better time. Also I feel with this coaching staff, we will see much improvement come the end of 06. So much so guys like ESPN, NFLN etc will be watching our moves closely as 'one of those teams' that can do well in 07 depending on FA and Draft

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

When MArv says "we're trying to win now" it actually means " we need to sell tickets now". We're rebuilding.
              sacrifice1
              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• patmoran2006
                Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                When MArv says "we're trying to win now" it actually means " we need to sell tickets now". We're rebuilding.
                that's actually very true..

And im really SORRY for the getting off subject.. But I just have one thing to say, just because Ice is so tarded up that it bothers the hell out of me.

If we WERE hypothetically to take Vernon Davis, Cutler or say a Michael Huff or a Jimmy Williams at eight.. Does that mean the draft is a flop? Does that mean the draft is a failure?

I mean I thought there were seven rounds to a draft, no? All these dynasty teams "ice" compares to; most of them had lines built through 2nd, 3rd and even 4th.

How could ANYONE say to pass on a franchise impact player because he's NOT an OL or DL at number eight? That's beyond comprehension to me.

Is there no scenario where say we COULDNT take Davis at 8? Or lets say aj HAWK falls to 8? And dont tell me there is no chance, there is.. Do we NOT take Hawk because LB isn't a "need".. That's a really.. REALLY stupid thing to say.

And go DT at 2, G and OT at 3?

YOu've got to be kidding me. I would call it mind-numbing, but then again, it's coming from Ice.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• SquishDaFish
                  Lets GO BUFFALO!!
                  • Jun 2005

You know Pat I agreed with you for most of the above post until you had to take your normal shot at ICE. Your Pathetic!

Comment

• Gunzlingr
                    • Jul 2002

What big name OL players were we supposed to sign? Hutch? no way would he have a chance. Bentley? There was only one place he wanted to be. I guess I am confused at who we should have signed out of the group.
                    You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

• Meathead
                      Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                      • Jul 2002

i dont know why people keep refusing to see there is still plenty of time and opportunity left to make the improvements needed to be a contender right now

first of all, there are still free agents that could help the team and there will be more players released as teams work their salary cap. if the bills only add 1 more starter from free agency they'll be much farther ahead than they are now already. theres also edwards to re-sign, who could start or be part of a good rotation

then theres the draft, and having the 8th pick means they'll get at least one highly probable starting lineman, and perhaps up to three or even more if they trade down and/or get lucky with a lower pick that ends up starting most games this season

and of course moulds could bring a starting lineman either through a high draft pick or a player swap of some kind

that right there is anywhere from two to six starters added to the team

plenty of time for the marv to pull rabbits out of his ass, err ..., hat

of course they're gonna need effective qb play and they already have that in holcomb - solid, not spectacular, steady, good game manager. then if either of the other two young guys busts out you only go up in production from there

a few things have to go in the bills favor but it wouldnt be all that unusual. if they did the easy looking schedule could pave the way for a dramatic turn-around in one season

im not predicting that, just saying that if you put your faith in the marv you might be rewarded with everlasting life, err, i mean a good football season
                      One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• ICE74129
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Meathead
                        i dont know why people keep refusing to see there is still plenty of time and opportunity left to make the improvements needed to be a contender right now

first of all, there are still free agents that could help the team and there will be more players released as teams work their salary cap. if the bills only add 1 more starter from free agency they'll be much farther ahead than they are now already. theres also edwards to re-sign, who could start or be part of a good rotation

then theres the draft, and having the 8th pick means they'll get at least one highly probable starting lineman, and perhaps up to three or even more if they trade down and/or get lucky with a lower pick that ends up starting most games this season

and of course moulds could bring a starting lineman either through a high draft pick or a player swap of some kind

that right there is anywhere from two to six starters added to the team

plenty of time for the marv to pull rabbits out of his ass, err ..., hat
                        No! We are DOOMED! Don't you know this? (sarcasm)

Comment

Working...
                        X