PDA

View Full Version : Why we need Mario Williams more than anybody

Stewie
03-27-2006, 07:41 AM
-He's a one-in-a-million freakishly gifted athlete and has good DE skills....

-We need a dominant defensive line (read: defensive end) to win superbowls. It's been that way pre and post the cap-era.... Look at the recent champs and think about the quality of their defensive lines: Steelers, Patriots, Bucs, Ravens, Rams, Broncos, Packers, Cowboys... The only team on that list with a less than stellar defensive line was the Rams, and they had "Kurt Warner"; no one could stop them except the Bills, but we all know how that year turned out. Some of the studs on those teams: Seymour, Rice, Pryce, Haley, White... some of the best DL in the last ten years. Coincidence?

-Marv Levy, Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed, James Lofton, Shane Conlan, Phil Hansen, Kent Hull, etc etc etc etc.... never would have gone to a superbowl without a big bad man named Bruce.

EDS
03-27-2006, 07:44 AM
If he is a one-of-a-kind type of player how come he didn't dominate in college?

He is a talent for sure, but so was Courtney Brown.

justasportsfan
03-27-2006, 07:44 AM
among other things. Our Dl isn't nearly as good as our DL during the Kelly era. Even then , they were dominated by a Dallas OL.

Kenny
03-27-2006, 07:48 AM

Agree completely.
For some reason, the more and more I think about it, the more and more I have a feeling that he's nothing more than a workout warrior.

Of course I take him if he's still there at 8, but I dont think he's anywhere close to being a 'sure-thing' superstar that many are labeling him as.

Stewie
03-27-2006, 07:53 AM
among other things. Our Dl isn't nearly as good as our DL during the Kelly era. Even then , they were dominated by a Dallas OL.

If you put bruce on this line, in his prime, how much better would the line get? Bruce commanded a double team (and a chip) from a 3-4. In a 4-3, Bruce as the RDE would turn Schoebel into a 20-sack player from the left end position, b/c teams could only single him or risk havoc on the other side

Now, I'm not saying that Mario is gonna have that effect. But if he can be 80% of the player Bruce was, we will have what we need.

And the Cowboys dominated the first superbowl in all three phases. The second one was Thurmans fault :(

justasportsfan
03-27-2006, 07:55 AM
If you put bruce on this line, in his prime, how much better would the line get? Bruce commanded a double team (and a chip) from a 3-4. In a 4-3, Bruce as the RDE would turn Schoebel into a 20-sack player from the left end position, b/c teams could only single him or risk havoc on the other side

Now, I'm not saying that Mario is gonna have that effect. But if he can be 80% of the player Bruce was, we will have what we need.

And the Cowboys dominated the first superbowl in all three phases. The second one was Thurmans fault :(
I agree except for the 2nd sb comment. You can never blame just one player.

Stewie
03-27-2006, 07:59 AM

Courtney Brown was a different player. He is built like a DE, and had a great season at penn state 'cause they were a great team and had Lavar Arrington scaring the bejeezus out of quarterbacks. Mario plays football for a basketball school, not exactly the same pedigree as penn state.

Mario is built like a 6'6 Shaq. He's actually a lot bigger than Shaq at the same age.

Williams has enough speed and range that you could put him out there at safety on a short defensive field. Want to go over the middle with that guy careening towards you? Not that I think that would be wise, but he has the freakish ability to do it.

Gunzlingr
03-27-2006, 08:03 AM
The biggest knock on him that I have read is that while he has the physical attibutes, he never dominated like he should have. :idunno:

EDS
03-27-2006, 08:07 AM
Courtney Brown was a different player. He is built like a DE, and had a great season at penn state 'cause they were a great team and had Lavar Arrington scaring the bejeezus out of quarterbacks. Mario plays football for a basketball school, not exactly the same pedigree as penn state.

Mario is built like a 6'6 Shaq. He's actually a lot bigger than Shaq at the same age.

Williams has enough speed and range that you could put him out there at safety on a short defensive field. Want to go over the middle with that guy careening towards you? Not that I think that would be wise, but he has the freakish ability to do it.

What are you talking about?

Mario Williams was on a line with two other potential first round picks (Lawson and McCargo)! Williams isn't close to being fast enough to play safety.

TigerJ
03-27-2006, 08:16 AM
No matter how good Williams might be, the fact is a trade up to guarantee the opportunity to get him would be too expensive. It would take the second overall pick to be sure and get him. To move from #8 to #2 would cost Buffalo the rest of their draft. #2 overall is worth 2600 points. Buffalo's #8 overall is worth 1400 points. All of Buffalo's picks added together total just over 2500 points. Do the math. It aint gonna happen, unless by some miracle Mario drops to #8.

Kenny
03-27-2006, 08:48 AM

Come on now! Even the best DE in the game right now isnt even close to 80% of what Bruce was in his prime :bow:

Maybe a bit off topic, but can you imagine the type of numbers he would of put up in a 4-3?

Kenny
03-27-2006, 08:55 AM
Actually, based on team needs and no trades happening, if the Jets dont take Mario @ 4 (though I really think this is where he's going), there's a chance he comes to us.

It makes no sense for Houston to take him @ 1.

NO already has 2 good pass rushers, and has a depleted line and an expensive QB... Brick is goign here.

Chow & Lienhart re-united... enough said.

Jets (though they could go Cutler, I have a feeling Mario Williams is the best pick here).

GB has to go with Hawk here.

Now it all depends on what the Niners and Raiders do here. The Niners need ALOT of help on Offense, so they should go Vernon Davis (IMO a better prospect then Kellen Winslow II is coming out). The Raiders would have a choice of either Young or Mario Williams.

ICE74129
03-27-2006, 08:56 AM

Huh? We had a 265lb NT. You can't do spit with that. If we had a Ted Washington during those superbowls, it would have been MUCH different. Outside of Bruce Smith we didn't have much. Yeah I know phil hansen blah blah blah. We got ran right up the damn gut. We needed MASS in the middle and had none./

patmoran2006
03-27-2006, 09:01 AM
Mario would be huge for the Bills right now, but there's no way we get him without trading up.

Trading up would be absolutely STUPID for any one player, even Brick.. We didnt address nowhere near enough in FA as i assume our plan is to attack and fill spots in the draft... We NEED at least 2, and maybe even three starters to come from this draft (DT, G)..

It would cost us a first, a second and something else to move up to get Williams.. or Brick for that matter.

Blame McGee.. If he didnt decide to be Superman and beat Cinci by himself xmas eve, we'd be having either him or Brick without moving a spot.

Stewie
03-27-2006, 09:51 AM
What are you talking about?

Mario Williams was on a line with two other potential first round picks (Lawson and McCargo)! Williams isn't close to being fast enough to play safety.

A sub 5 second guy is fast enough to play safety on a short field. Ask rodney harrison. He seems to be alright, and I guarantee you he isn't gonna outrun Mario.

BillsNick
03-27-2006, 09:57 AM
Erik Flowers was awesome.