PDA

View Full Version : Why did we get rid of Adams?

BillsNick
03-27-2006, 09:37 AM
Does anyone else remember seeing Adams in the backfield before the QB even handed the ball off? I mean it didn't happen all the time, but it was pretty friggin sweet when it did.

Now we're having all these DT issues, when we could have kept big Sam. I don't quite get it.

Bring him back.

Jan Reimers
03-27-2006, 09:43 AM
He was fat, slow, out-of-shape and had a negative attitude. But I liked him, anyway

Earthquake Enyart
03-27-2006, 09:45 AM
Dick likes a one gap defense where quicker lineman can penetrate.

Adams is a prototypical two gap DL.

BillsNick
03-27-2006, 09:45 AM
He was fat, slow, out-of-shape and had a negative attitude. But I liked him, anyway

Yeah, but there were times where he would dominate. We could use that right about now, even on a limited basis.

patmoran2006
03-27-2006, 09:48 AM
Dick likes a one gap defense where quicker lineman can penetrate.

Adams is a prototypical two gap DL.
Who cares who Dick likes.. This is Ferrel's defense.

I felt the same way the day he was cut that I thought it sucked.. But the fact nobody has signed him makes me think maybe there is something nobody knows, so I dont know.. Kinda torn on him.

As everyone has said.. this is a multi-year rebuilding process.. WE're not getting EVERYTHING we need in one draft.

Take the BEST player in round one, maybe he's a need too. .Then ya go needs throughout the rest.

Just seems to me Adams and Tripplett could have been REAL good.

Earthquake Enyart
03-27-2006, 09:50 AM
The Bills got rid of Adams the same as the Bears got rid of Ted Washington.

Look at how the Bears attack today. Quick DL. They can get a good pass rush with just the 4 DL. That's what Dick and Fewell want to do.

BillsNick
03-27-2006, 09:51 AM

I felt the same way the day he was cut that I thought it sucked.. But the fact nobody has signed him makes me think maybe there is something nobody knows, so I dont know.. Kinda torn on him.

As everyone has said.. this is a multi-year rebuilding process.. WE're not getting EVERYTHING we need in one draft.

Take the BEST player in round one, maybe he's a need too. .Then ya go needs throughout the rest.

Well said. I hate the "wait" of the rebuilding process! :down:

I definitely don't see how it would hurt us to have Sam on the team.

madness
03-27-2006, 10:37 AM

Look at how the Bears attack today. Quick DL. They can get a good pass rush with just the 4 DL. That's what Dick and Fewell want to do.

:bf1: If only the blind could see.

justasportsfan
03-27-2006, 10:46 AM
Does anyone else remember seeing Adams in the backfield before the QB even handed the ball off? I mean it didn't happen all the time, but it was pretty friggin sweet when it did.

.That was probably why he had problems with the staff. They didn't want him doing that because he would be out of position. He was probably trying to do things his own way which won't sit well with any coach especially Marv.

patmoran2006
03-27-2006, 10:46 AM

I agree with you.. However one of Adams biggest strengths is how fast he is off the line.. He has very deceiving quickness for a guy who's such a fat slob.

I just think they want to get younger almost everywhere.

BillsNick
03-27-2006, 10:55 AM
I see what everyone is saying, but based on what's available, I think we could use him

Earthquake Enyart
03-27-2006, 10:59 AM
I agree with you.. However one of Adams biggest strengths is how fast he is off the line.. He has very deceiving quickness for a guy who's such a fat slob.

I just think they want to get younger almost everywhere.
About one out of every 10 snaps he tries. The rest of the time he occupies space.

I also believe that this is why they won't draft Ngata.

Brinson Buckner is a guy I would like to see them give a look to.

patmoran2006
03-27-2006, 11:00 AM
I see what everyone is saying, but based on what's available, I think we could use him

I was pissed the second we cut him and Milloy for that matter.. We get TKO back with the signing of Tripplett, we were 1 DT away from having a dominating defense again just as we did in 2003 and 2004.

I dont care how pathetic your offense is. THe Bears prove that when your defense is sick you're going to be competitive.

I dont care if we are playing a cover two, cover ninety-nine, 46, 10 in the box or a man to man plus one...............Nobody on earth is going to tell me that Bowens is a better safety than Lawyer Milloy. It was a cap/cost cutting move and nothing more.

Our defense was #2 in the NFL 2 of the last three year and we get TKO back.. HORRIBLE move IMO.

Its the first case of Marv having a Mularkey/Donahoe'ish case of "getting too cute"

Earthquake Enyart
03-27-2006, 11:02 AM
Milloy is terrible in a cover two. He's too old and slow.

I would have thought that a big time writer for Fox Sports would know a lot more about football. :eek:

patmoran2006
03-27-2006, 11:05 AM
Milloy is terrible in a cover two. He's too old and slow.

I would have thought that a big time writer for Fox Sports would know a lot more about football. :eek:

I dont care if we are in a prevent defense on the first play of the game.. Milloy is better than Matt Bowens. Watch what he does for Atlanta this year.

Earthquake Enyart
03-27-2006, 11:09 AM
Milloy and Adams made more than what they were worth, and they don't fit the scheme that the new coaches want to play. I don't know why that is so hard to understand.

madness
03-27-2006, 11:15 AM
He's a two-gap tackle that wouldn't be disciplined enough to play in a one-gap scheme. He is also only fast off the line when he feels like it. Plus, if you look at the Cover 2 teams, especially Chicago and Indy, the key to applying continuous pressure on the QB is rotating fresh DT's in.

I'm sorry but Adams does not have the the discipline or character to fit into this new defense. He would have to prove to Marv he would listen and play within the scheme for Marv to even consider taking him back.

madness
03-27-2006, 11:17 AM
Milloy and Adams made more than what they were worth, and they don't fit the scheme that the new coaches want to play. I don't know why that is so hard to understand.

I don't either.

patmoran2006
03-27-2006, 11:19 AM

Milloy you can make a point for, I understand this.. Adams is the SAME kind of tackle that Ngata is, and Ngata supposedly fits our system to a tee.

And when Tripplett was signed Marv hinted our second DT would be bigger..

Like I said several comments earlier, I dont know whats up with Adams.. maybe there is something about him that we dont know about that the Bills and 31 other teams right now do.

Ebenezer
03-27-2006, 11:19 AM
the persception of him as a trouble maker or boat rocker probably didn't curry favor with ML or RW either.

Ebenezer
03-27-2006, 11:20 AM
Milloy you can make a point for, I understand this.. Adams is the SAME kind of tackle that Ngata is, and Ngata supposedly fits our system to a tee.

And when Tripplett was signed Marv hinted our second DT would be bigger..

Like I said several comments earlier, I dont know whats up with Adams.. maybe there is something about him that we dont know about that the Bills and 31 other teams right now do.
that is why Ngata is not the pick at #8.

BillsNick
03-27-2006, 11:23 AM

So players never adjust to different schemes than they're used to?

My point is that we are so thin at the position, that we may have to start looking at guys that will have to adjust.

jamze132
03-27-2006, 11:24 AM
I say we should have kept Adams at least until after the draft, but I am happy to see Milloy gone. His first season was impressive but I don't think he is worth what he was making. It seemed like everytime the other team made a big play, Milloy was nearby and out of position. I am not saying he wasn't doing what he was supposed to be doing, but I think he has lost a step. I don't see anything wrong with going with someone younger at the Safety position. It's not really going to effect how many times we get burned. But I think the biggest reason they dumped Milloy is because he wasn't quite a saint in the clubhouse. But who is?

madness
03-27-2006, 11:24 AM
I dont care if we are in a prevent defense on the first play of the game.. Milloy is better than Matt Bowens. Watch what he does for Atlanta this year.

Ofcourse Milloy will have a great year in Atlanta, he's going to be playing inside the box and attacking the qb and the run a lot more then he will be in coverage. Same type of D he played while he was here.

Bowens is going to surprise you if he's truly back to 100%. He's one of, if not THE, fastest safeties in the league with good Cover 2 skills. Remember that fast kid everbody hated on the basketball court because he just seemed to be everywhere breaking up plays? That's Bowens.

Forward_Lateral
03-27-2006, 11:25 AM

Who cares what YOU want? Last time I checked, Jauron was the HC, not you. Adams is a fat slob with a bad attitude. There's a reason he's clashed with every single coach he's ever had, and there's a reason nobody wants his fat ass.

Night Train
03-27-2006, 11:25 AM
Regardless, they definetly need to find another 1,2 DT's for that rotation.

Anderson played well towards the end of the season, after starting out lost. Triplett has never been a full time starter. So I have to think the Defensive coaches still envision a 3,4 man rotation.

madness
03-27-2006, 11:27 AM
Who cares what YOU want? Last time I checked, Jauron was the HC, not you. Adams is a fat slob with a bad attitude. There's a reason he's clashed with every single coach he's ever had, and there's a reason nobody wants his fat ass.

:rofl: ...and I was trying to say it the nice way.

Earthquake Enyart
03-27-2006, 11:28 AM
Milloy will have a crappy year in Atlanta. You will see the back of his jersey on Sportscenter a lot.

Earthquake Enyart
03-27-2006, 11:29 AM
Regardless, they definetly need to find another 1,2 DT's for that rotation.

Anderson played well towards the end of the season, after starting out lost. Triplett has never been a full time starter. So I have to think the Defensive coaches still envision a 3,4 man rotation.
This is true. Maybe Anderson can play a one gap DT.

They certainly need to draft at least one DL on the first day.

NC-BILLS44
03-27-2006, 11:49 AM
Possibility of drafting DT - McCargo from NC State. He has a knack of disrupting plays in the backfield and just had a great pro day! If the Bills are lucking, they may be able to get him early in the 2nd round.

patmoran2006
03-27-2006, 11:52 AM
I say we should have kept Adams at least until after the draft, but I am happy to see Milloy gone. His first season was impressive but I don't think he is worth what he was making. It seemed like everytime the other team made a big play, Milloy was nearby and out of position. I am not saying he wasn't doing what he was supposed to be doing, but I think he has lost a step. I don't see anything wrong with going with someone younger at the Safety position. It's not really going to effect how many times we get burned. But I think the biggest reason they dumped Milloy is because he wasn't quite a saint in the clubhouse. But who is?

I think EVERYONE in the secondary looked like **** last year, beacuse we had NO kind of regular pass rush and the front four couldn't contain the run to save their life.

If Milloy wasnt worth $4 million based on 2005, NO WAY is Nate Clements worth $7.2 million either.

patmoran2006
03-27-2006, 11:53 AM
Possibility of drafting DT - McCargo from NC State. He has a knack of disrupting plays in the backfield and just had a great pro day! If the Bills are lucking, they may be able to get him early in the 2nd round.

If they "stick to the script", I can definitely see Levy taking Justice at 8 and McCargo early in round two.

NC-BILLS44
03-27-2006, 11:55 AM
That would help fill two needs. Don't the Bills a have 2 picks in the 3rd, one from the T. Henry deal?

jamze132
03-27-2006, 11:55 AM
I think EVERYONE in the secondary looked like **** last year, beacuse we had NO kind of regular pass rush and the front four couldn't contain the run to save their life.

If Milloy wasnt worth $4 million based on 2005, NO WAY is Nate Clements worth $7.2 million either.

I wouldn't say everyone. I will say that Clements looked silly a lot last year, but I think his agent has told him to tighten his shot group. But I don't remember McGee getting torched too much last year. And yes 4 Mil is too much for Milloy.

patmoran2006
03-27-2006, 12:00 PM
Mcgee was the BEST player in the secondary last year, and I"m not talking about kick returns either.

I've seen enough to Nate to know that 2005 was the exception, not the rule.. He's a really good corner who had a terrible year.. I was just saying, if we're based on last year, he aint worth that kind of money.

Lawyer Milloy is not the Milloy of the late 1990's, but he's still a much better football player than given credit for: at least in Buffalo.

NC-BILLS44
03-27-2006, 12:01 PM
McCargo - one gap DT

McCargo is more a one-gap player, capable of compressing the pocket from the inside.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2382383&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dpasquarelli_len%26id%3d2382383

patmoran2006
03-27-2006, 12:09 PM
That would help fill two needs. Don't the Bills a have 2 picks in the 3rd, one from the T. Henry deal?

Yep, we got 70 and 73 in round two.. 6th and 8th ( I think)

Tatonka
03-27-2006, 12:13 PM
Brinson Buckner is a guy I would like to see them give a look to.

that would be awesome.. i cant believe no one has signed him yet.. there is no way he could cost much at 34 years old.

patmoran2006
03-27-2006, 12:14 PM
I would love Bucker or Jackson or Adams.. Because its one less position we need to try and fill with this draft..

dplus47
03-27-2006, 12:22 PM

the first game vs. the dolphins it happened quite a bit. adams was a monster in that game.

Kerr
03-27-2006, 12:46 PM
I feel like i'm taking crazy pills.-will ferrell

ICE74129
03-27-2006, 01:01 PM
that would be awesome.. i cant believe no one has signed him yet.. there is no way he could cost much at 34 years old.

For Carolina to cut him outright, then no offers....something is wrong.

patmoran2006
03-27-2006, 01:05 PM
For Carolina to cut him outright, then no offers....something is wrong.
Ma'ake Kemoeatu might have something to do with him getting cut.

patmoran2006
03-27-2006, 01:06 PM
The BIGGEST REASON why guys who are expensive like Adams, Buckner and Jackson are still looking for jobs.. Is because the draft is VERY DEEP at DT and a lot of teams probably want to see what the draft brings them before signing an aging Vet.

SABURZFAN
03-27-2006, 03:47 PM

yeah.....they got tired of feeding them. :snicker:

BillsNick
03-27-2006, 03:56 PM
:puke: