PDA

View Full Version : Time Warner and all the other Cable Networks better hurry up and get NFL Network

Michael82
03-27-2006, 02:04 PM
The Broncos-Chiefs match will be the first live, in-season game on NFL Network, which will show eight prime-time games from Thanksgiving through the end of the season. Those games will be on either Thursday or Saturday nights.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2386175

I want to see those games. :mad:

ICE74129
03-27-2006, 02:07 PM
Do you not have COX service where you are?

Michael82
03-27-2006, 02:08 PM
Do you not have COX service where you are?
huh?

tat2dmike77
03-27-2006, 02:10 PM
Cox is still in business i thought adelphia comcast and time warner put them out of business

ICE74129
03-27-2006, 02:15 PM
Cox is still in business i thought adelphia comcast and time warner put them out of business

COX? ithey are huge in these parts! No way they are going out of Business. I have internet, phone and digital cable through them.

Michael82
03-27-2006, 02:22 PM
COX? ithey are huge in these parts! No way they are going out of Business. I have internet, phone and digital cable through them.
Time Warner is all over the place and dominates NY. I have never heard of Cox.

Michael82
03-27-2006, 02:23 PM
BTW, here's an excellent quote that I totally agree with. :up:

On top of that, you deny us the opportunity to see some of the channels we do want. This may be just me, but I'm sure it applies to others: Time Warner, get the NFL Network on by this summer, before they start showing actual pro football games this fall, or I'm gone.
As much as I like it, I can live without Capital News 9. An NFL Network spokesman said Time Warner corporate folks "refuse to engage us." Granted, with the addition of games, the network's asking price and channel placement demands have increased. All true, don't care, get it done.
http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=464306&category=ARTS&newsdate=3/24/2006

Mr. Pink
03-27-2006, 02:25 PM

Go get DirecTV.

Then you'll be able to watch the games on NFL Network.

HAMMER
03-27-2006, 02:25 PM
Better move Mikey, no soup for you!

OpIv37
03-27-2006, 02:28 PM
Go get DirecTV.

Then you'll be able to watch the games on NFL Network.

exactly- Cable SUCKS. Satellite is so much better.

In this area, everything is Cox or Comcast. I've had both (depending on where I lived) and they're both terrible.

OpIv37
03-27-2006, 02:29 PM
Satellite is cheaper too.

Mr. Pink
03-27-2006, 02:32 PM

Not too mention less problems and not having to deal with absolute DOLTS on the phone when calling. Or dealing with "thank you for calling Crapelphia, your approximate hold time is 38 minutes."

OpIv37
03-27-2006, 02:35 PM
Not too mention less problems and not having to deal with absolute DOLTS on the phone when calling. Or dealing with "thank you for calling Crapelphia, your approximate hold time is 38 minutes."

oh man don't get me started- I can tell you several horror stories along those lines about both Cox and Comcast.

and Cox's TV signal was terrible anyway. I got better reception with an antenna, which is ridiculous. Plus, for some reason they don't even have the networks on the right channels (ie the local CBS affiliate is channel 9 on antenna, Comcast and DirecTV, but it's 39 on Cox- wtf?).

JJamezz
03-27-2006, 02:59 PM
Can't wait for IPTV to roll out.. I have Verizon here, and it should be late this year. $25 a month for everything (minus pay channels).

I got rid of Comcast a few years ago when the cable modem went up to $50 a month.. I've been satisfied with DISH (who have NFL Network now too) and DSL.

Jersey1031
03-27-2006, 03:03 PM
Yea Direct Tv is the best...NFL Network is getting games now??

I hope we get a primetime game this season...

ICE74129
03-27-2006, 03:09 PM

Not in my case. I have 5 rooms going with cable.

OpIv37
03-27-2006, 03:29 PM
Not in my case. I have 5 rooms going with cable.

yeah it's $5 a month per receiver- we only have 2 and the one upstairs is hooked up to 2 TV's (which is fine if you don't mind that they have to be on the same channel).

But the base price for like 130 channels is only $37.99 a month or something. We pay extra for local channels, 2 TiVo's and 2 receivers, and it's still only $54.99 a month.

Anyway even if it was more than cable I'd still pay it because
1. I'm out of market so Sunday Ticket is the only way to watch the Bills games without wasting a ton of money in a smokey bar.
2. The reception is better
3. Cox and Comcast are both awful companies to deal with (we'd have to use Cox where we live now).

venis2k1
03-27-2006, 03:30 PM
Comcast puts out a great product. (in Mass anyways)

Charter however sucks balls. About a year and a half ago they picked up the NFL network. great i said, i will gladly pay an extra 3 dollars a month for the sports package(basically NFL network and a bunch on FSN channels) about 3 months ago they rised the rate to 5 bucks a month and dropped the NFL network. now im paying to watch korean soccer and curling....gay.

Mr. Pink
03-27-2006, 03:32 PM

Charter however sucks balls. About a year and a half ago they picked up the NFL network. great i said, i will gladly pay an extra 3 dollars a month for the sports package(basically NFL network and a bunch on FSN channels) about 3 months ago they rised the rate to 5 bucks a month and dropped the NFL network. now im paying to watch korean soccer and curling....gay.

Curling alone is worth the 5 bucks! I love it. Where else can you listen to chicks yell HARDER, WHOA and grunt a lot without turning on the Playboy channel? It gets interesting reactions from other people in the house. :lol:

OpIv37
03-27-2006, 03:34 PM

Comcast always worked fine for me, both cable and internet (Cox is the one with the bad signal). But Comcast customer service is HORRENDOUS. Some lowlights:

1. Extended hold time on the phone (40 minutes is not uncommon)
2. Never showing up for the install, then lying and telling me I didn't answer the door when I was sitting in the living room next to the door all night.
3. Billing me for the install that was supposed to be free after they missed the appointment
4. Hooking up packages that I didn't ask for then billing me for them (and of course 40 minutes of hold time when I called to complain).
5. Re-connecting my service after I disconnected it without me knowing (or even watching it since I didn't know) then billing me for it
6. If you go into their local office to resolve some of these issues, all they do is point you to a telephone on a table and tell you to call customer service.

BAM
03-27-2006, 04:11 PM
Awesome news! It's about time they start having live games on there. I've actually seen the commercials they've been running lately about it.

I have Comcast and love having the NFL Network! I love Comcast even more. On-Demand flat out rules. I rarely ever watch TV unless it's something on the history, discovery, or national geographic channels. I simply turn on the TV and pick whatever special I wanna watch. Can't get that with satellite.

I agree that satellite would be a little bit cheaper (about $10 cheaper for me), but the On-Demand more than makes up for it IMO. Plus, those of you paying for NFL Sunday Ticket pretty much end up paying more anyways.

I really have no need for NFL Sunday Ticket and the $200-$250 price tag that comes with it. There is a bar right down the street that plays every game.. for free. If they ever lower that price to about $100, I may consider switching.

I have also never had one problem with Comcast... be it the cable internet or digital cable. Happy customer here.

I do, however, not recommend Sprint DSL. They were horrible. Only internet service I've ever had constant trouble with.

BAM
03-27-2006, 04:15 PM
As with any company, it all depends on who you talk to in regards to customer service.

A couple weeks ago, I called Comcast at approximately 7:00 PM on Sunday night to switch my premium channels from SHO and TMC to HBO (the Sopranos were starting at 9:00 that night.) I had literally no wait time and the lady had it all switched over and working within 5 minutes. The only thing was that I couldn't watch any HBO on-demand for 24 hours.

Two thumbs up.

Bulldog
03-27-2006, 06:56 PM

Mikey, I finally gave Time Warner the boot. After they raised thier rates again for the 10th time in the past two years I decided to go with Dish Network. I was paying $84.00 a month with Time Warner and all I had was the digital package and the DVR service. I got the dish through Frontier with their connections program and am going to pay $116.00 a month for unlimited long distance, DSL, and a 120 channels on Dish Network. Included in that package is the NFL Network, plus the local stations. Tell Time Warner to f off and get either Direct TV or Dish Network.

OpIv37
03-27-2006, 08:07 PM
As with any company, it all depends on who you talk to in regards to customer service.

A couple weeks ago, I called Comcast at approximately 7:00 PM on Sunday night to switch my premium channels from SHO and TMC to HBO (the Sopranos were starting at 9:00 that night.) I had literally no wait time and the lady had it all switched over and working within 5 minutes. The only thing was that I couldn't watch any HBO on-demand for 24 hours.

Two thumbs up.

oh, they're great when they're trying to add customers or add services to an existing customer. But if you're using their telephony menu and you select any option other than "add new service", good luck getting anyone to answe.

And if you select "add new service" when you have a billing problem, they transfer you to billing and you have to hold for 20 minutes to get the transfer. And then good luck getting it resolved on the first call.

BAM
03-27-2006, 08:21 PM
Luckily, I've never had to go that route then.

I doubt anyone is as bad as Dell. At least Comcast probably still has a handful of people that speak English.

lordofgun
03-27-2006, 08:33 PM
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/02/06/BUGG4H2GGO1.DTL

:drool:

SquishDaFish
03-27-2006, 10:05 PM
Im sorry but cable doesnt compare to Direct Tv. Never will go back to cable. I rather pay for the NFL package then go to a bar. I used to go to the bar to watch the game. U end up spending more money on the season at the bar then the amount of the sunday ticket. And to the on Demand response all you need is a DVR and record everything you want and watch it whenever. I barely watch live tv myself.

patmoran2006
03-27-2006, 10:15 PM
Is anyone here actually from/live Buffalo?

lordofgun
03-27-2006, 10:16 PM
Is anyone here actually from/live Buffalo?
nope...no one.

patmoran2006
03-27-2006, 10:18 PM
Wonder your all so Homer'ish!

You dont have to walk into every bar and deli and hear about how bad the Bills suck!!!!!!!!!

BTW, bills.. your 100% right.. Satellite is better than Cable.. that being said, I got Adelphia, (with nfl network) and I've never had any problems.. most people hate adelphia though.

Bill Brasky
03-27-2006, 10:23 PM
Those games suck... I wouldn't watch any of them.

Mr. Cynical
03-27-2006, 10:26 PM
Well for people who live in Manhattan, DirecTV is not always an option. Unless you can convince the management company of your apt building to allow a dish on the roof you're SOL. Not to mention the logistics of running the wires. I had DTV for a few years in my old brownstone since I lived on the top floor and just ran it thru my window. But in my new bldg it's a no go. :(

I'm on TWC but I know that RCN offers NFL Network. However I didn't switch to RCN after I found out it didn't show games (the rates are basically the same)

Personally I used to like DTV better but now I like cable. Rain/snow fade sucks with DTV.

Thing is, the monopoly that DTV has with NFL Ticket has got to stop. I don't know when their contract runs out (I guess soon given this thread) but the NFL would be better off buying out the rest of it and then selling it off to the cable companies. If DTV didn't have NFL Ticket when it started, I can almost guarantee it would have half it's current sub base. Everyone I know got DTV for that reason alone.

SquishDaFish
03-27-2006, 10:29 PM
Direct TV just renewed last seaon I believe they have it for another 6 years or so. Something like that. And you wouldnt have rain/snow fade if alligned right and you took the proper procedures during winter to help with snow on dish.

Bill Brasky
03-27-2006, 10:33 PM
And you wouldnt have rain/snow fade if alligned right and you took the proper procedures during winter to help with snow on dish.

That's not true, a lot of the time Rain/Snow fade is caused by the point of origin as well.

Mr. Cynical
03-27-2006, 10:38 PM
And you wouldnt have rain/snow fade if alligned right and you took the proper procedures during winter to help with snow on dish.

Um, no. Your dish needs direct line of sight with the satellite or it doesn't work. If there is heavy rain/snow *anywhere* in the direct line of sight between your dish and the satellite, game over. Your dish can be perfectly clean and aligned. Doesn't matter.

SquishDaFish
03-27-2006, 10:48 PM
Well Ive never had a problem and am part of a Tivo board which has thousands of people. Some complain of it but alot never had a problem and some live in snow heavy areas. Ive had Direct Tv since the days of Primestar and I had 1 minor snowfade at one point. Thats it.

Bill Brasky
03-27-2006, 10:51 PM
Well Ive never had a problem and am part of a Tivo board which has thousands of people. Some complain of it but alot never had a problem and some live in snow heavy areas. Ive had Direct Tv since the days of Primestar and I had 1 minor snowfade at one point. Thats it.

A lot depends on where the dish is in space and where the feed is uplinked to.

When we get heavy rain here at my facility, we tend to lose certain feeds while others are completely fine.

OpIv37
03-28-2006, 07:11 AM
Luckily, I've never had to go that route then.

I doubt anyone is as bad as Dell. At least Comcast probably still has a handful of people that speak English.

yeah dell is also a royal pain in the ass.

as far as the signal, the only time we ever lose ours is some channels will go out if there's heavy rain with thunder and lightning. Normal rain or the small amount of snow we get here don't affect it.

Also Hurricane Isabel blew the dish off-course and I had to have someone re-align it, but for those of you in Buffalo and Rochester you don't really have to worry about that.

Michael82
03-28-2006, 10:16 AM
We used to have DirecTV, but we had sooo many ****ing problems with the rain and snow affecting it. Everytime there was a storm, we'd lose it and when it got really windy, it would affect it too. :ill:

Mr. Pink
03-28-2006, 10:22 AM
The only time weather has effected my DirecTV was when we had like 7 feet of snow a few christmas' back. The dish was covered for a couple days and obviously we weren't getting reception lol

OpIv37
03-28-2006, 10:26 AM
We used to have DirecTV, but we had sooo many ****ing problems with the rain and snow affecting it. Everytime there was a storm, we'd lose it and when it got really windy, it would affect it too. :ill:

if the wind was affecting it, it means one of two things- either the dish wasn't secured properly so it was moving in the wind, or the wind was blowing tree branches in front of it.

Michael82
03-28-2006, 10:35 AM
if the wind was affecting it, it means one of two things- either the dish wasn't secured properly so it was moving in the wind, or the wind was blowing tree branches in front of it.
I'm not saying the wind affected it when it was a windy day. Only when it was like 60 mph outside or a crazy storm.

BAM
03-28-2006, 10:59 AM

A friend of mine has the same problem. He put his up himself though and he's not the brightest so it's probably not very secure. :chuckle:

SquishDaFish
03-28-2006, 06:26 PM
:chuckle: HaHa Bam you trying to say hes not the brightest lightbulb on the Xmas tree?? LOL

LtFinFan66
03-28-2006, 06:28 PM
Cox is still the only cable option down here in my area. And they have the NFL Network...of course I have Direct TV

mikemac2001
03-28-2006, 06:30 PM
so you like your cox service ice?

LtFinFan66
03-28-2006, 06:30 PM
We used to have DirecTV, but we had sooo many ****ing problems with the rain and snow affecting it. Everytime there was a storm, we'd lose it and when it got really windy, it would affect it too. :ill:We have had DTV since August and had NO problems losing the signal at all. Now come summer, (hurricane season), we will find out just how secure it really is!!