PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Faine anyone?

finsrclowns
03-27-2006, 09:35 PM
After signing LeCharles Bentley, the Browns are shopping center Jeff Faine. On the plus side he should not require much of a draft pick to acquire and he is an experienced starter. He's also young and a former 1st round pick. On the downside he's light for a center and lacks strength. At only age 24, is Faine worth acquiring?

My take would be yes, I'd offer a 6th rounder and see if we could get him to bulk up 15 pounds or so. Worth a shot IMO. Here's his scouting report.

2005 Scouting Report - Scouts Inc.
Grade: 69 | Key
Alert: None

Comment:
He is quick and athletic. He shows solid initial quickness in-line. He shows the ability to get his first step in the ground quickly. He plays with solid lateral quickness in pass pro. He is a smart player - can make all the line calls up front. He provides solid help in pass pro. He shows good awareness for stunts and delayed blitzes. He is effecting pulling both left and right - can find and locate on the move. He shows solid re-direct vs. double moves. He uses his hands well in both the run and pass games. The biggest negative with him is that he fancies himself as a tough guy, but he plays extremely soft inside. He gets knocked back into the backfield too often at the snap. He gets walked back into the QB vs. power rushers. He does not offer position versatility - strictly an OC.

Forward_Lateral
03-27-2006, 09:37 PM
I think he'd be better than anything this team has at Center at this point. He's played well at times in Cleveland.

patmoran2006
03-27-2006, 09:37 PM
Fowler

TigerJ
03-27-2006, 09:40 PM
Faine might be OK, but I'm assuming Melvin Fowler fills that need. I'd rather use my draft choices and focus on meeting needs as long as they still exist.

tat2dmike77
03-27-2006, 09:42 PM
:pray: For mangold in the draft

YardRat
03-27-2006, 09:49 PM
I really liked Faine coming out of college and was hoping the Bills would draft him.

Not so much anymore...the last thing we need is a another center too weak to stand up at the point of attack. Faine's just a younger Teague in my book.

patmoran2006
03-27-2006, 10:16 PM
Center is the ONE spot we already addressed this off-season...

Unless Fowler will play guard, which I've heard nothing to that happening..

THATHURMANATOR
03-27-2006, 10:33 PM
Agreed Pat we signed Fowler and already have Duke Preston. We need a LG and an LT at this point.

ICE74129
03-28-2006, 07:27 AM
I think he'd be better than anything this team has at Center at this point. He's played well at times in Cleveland.

Fowler is our new Center.

BigGabes23
03-28-2006, 07:55 AM
I live in Cleveland and saw him out this weekend. Trust me, we don't want him.

Mr. Pink
03-28-2006, 08:11 AM
Yeah we don't want Faine yet he's the guy who got the starting job over Fowler in Cleveland because....hmmmm...maybe just maybe...he's ACTUALLY BETTER THAN FOWLER? Weird concept, eh? I'm all for making a trade to get Faine from Cleveland 4th or 5th rounder at best and using Fowler for what he is good for depth at C and G. There's generally a reason a guy hasn't been a starter after being in the league 4 years except when forced in due to injury.

THATHURMANATOR
03-28-2006, 08:24 AM
Yeah we don't want Faine yet he's the guy who got the starting job over Fowler in Cleveland because....hmmmm...maybe just maybe...he's ACTUALLY BETTER THAN FOWLER? Weird concept, eh? I'm all for making a trade to get Faine from Cleveland 4th or 5th rounder at best and using Fowler for what he is good for depth at C and G. There's generally a reason a guy hasn't been a starter after being in the league 4 years except when forced in due to injury.
Yeah accept that Fowler was on Minnesota last year...... :idunno:

Mr. Pink
03-28-2006, 08:28 AM
Yeah accept that Fowler was on Minnesota last year...... :idunno:

Yes where he got to play only because of injury...much like when he was in cleveland, he played only when the starter was unable to go. And yes I realize Minnesota has a pro-bowl center and that's most likely the reasoning why he didn't start there. But no one will confuse Jeff Faine as a pro-bowler, he's just a better o-lineman. Which is why I'd be all for bringing him here and leaving Fowler to do what he does best...added depth.

THATHURMANATOR
03-28-2006, 08:31 AM
Faine may be better I am not arguing with you on that. I am just saying that we have bigger needs at guard and LT.

Mr. Pink
03-28-2006, 08:33 AM
Besides, Cleveland did have Fowler playing guard, of course he was a backup but who knows, he may actually be better than Bennie Anderson. Seeing it wouldn't take much to do that one.

THATHURMANATOR
03-28-2006, 08:39 AM
Ok fine you win. Trade for Faine.

ICE74129
03-28-2006, 08:45 AM

Fowler is our center. Faine is so good they went out and paid Bentley a boat load of cash and are now looking to shop faine. Fowler went to the vikes and did a hell of a job.

Brady wasnt a starter until forced into play due to injury. Rothlesburger the same. I can go on about many throughout history that didn't do anything until forced into the lineup.

Your arguements have no validity. Vikings fans actually wanted to keep Fowler and let the old fart they have at center go since he sat out a year. Fowler did one hell of a job during the 9-2 stretch the Vikes went on. Our pro personel guys apperantly thought so too.

ICE74129
03-28-2006, 08:46 AM
Ok fine you win. Trade for Faine.

He is that kid you just gotta pat on the head and say 'ok you're right' and just move on.

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 08:49 AM
Fowler is our center. Faine is so good they went out and paid Bentley a boat load of cash and are now looking to shop faine. Fowler went to the vikes and did a hell of a job.

Brady wasnt a starter until forced into play due to injury. Rothlesburger the same. I can go on about many throughout history that didn't do anything until forced into the lineup.

Your arguements have no validity. Vikings fans actually wanted to keep Fowler and let the old fart they have at center go since he sat out a year. Fowler did one hell of a job during the 9-2 stretch the Vikes went on. Our pro personel guys apperantly thought so too.
but if we take a QB then our Pro Personel guys know nothing right?

The Browns signed Bentley because they had the cap room, he wanted to play near home and he's EASILY the best center in football, that's why they signed him.. That means that Faine sucks? Get real.

Mr. Pink
03-28-2006, 08:58 AM

Fowler was so good in Cleveland that the year after Botch Davis drafted him in Round 3 he drafted Faine in Round 1. And if Fowler was as wanted in Minnesota as you suggest, they would have resigned him seeing as you see by his contract he doesn't make a boatload of money. So in essence your argument also has no validity. Here's the point, most teams go out and upgrade and don't just "settle" any time you have the opportunity to upgrade you take it. Center wasn't a huge need for the Browns in the offseason and who was the first guy they took? Exactly.

Mr. Pink
03-28-2006, 09:00 AM
Also if you only trade a 4th or 5th for Faine, which is about what his worth is...you're getting a guy who was a 1st round talent and is PROVEN in this league. Like I've stated previously most 5th round guys in this league don't pan out. So why not take a guy who makes you better on the field no question about it for a pick that you have no clue what's going to happen?

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 09:05 AM
I would take Faine is the price is right. Fowler can play guard.. Lord knows we could use a guard.

ICE74129
03-28-2006, 09:20 AM
Also if you only trade a 4th or 5th for Faine, which is about what his worth is...you're getting a guy who was a 1st round talent and is PROVEN in this league. Like I've stated previously most 5th round guys in this league don't pan out. So why not take a guy who makes you better on the field no question about it for a pick that you have no clue what's going to happen?

Proven? To do what, get replaced then shipped out?

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 09:25 AM
Proven? To do what, get replaced then shipped out?
Didnt Hasselbeck get 'shipped out"? Didnt Brooks "get shippped out"? Didnt Warner get "shipped out". Didn't Delhomme "get shipped out".. You've made that quite clear. In fact, would Fowler have ever started in Minn had tirk not gotten hurt? What is your POINT?

I am convinced that you dont have the first clue what you are talking about anymore.

Jeff Faine could help us, if the price is right its a great trade.. Fowler has also played guard.. Those are two credible interior guys in the middle.

Mr. Pink
03-28-2006, 09:28 AM
He's being replaced in Cleveland by the BEST Center in football. Again, goes to my whole thing of most teams upgrade when given the chance to upgrade. Faine is not a pro-bowl caliber Center but is an upgrade over fowler and preston and has played/started his whole career. And Fowler I believe would be an upgrade over Bennie Anderson at G. I'm sure I'm not the only one around here that thinks Bennie is absolutely horrible. Granted, yes, you can do better than him with who is in the NFL however that requires spending ridiculous amounts of money to one position, in terms of signing bonus, base, whatever. His injury risk is the only real downside to this guy. Which could be because of his lack of strength and conditioning or because of the guy who was in Cleveland as the strength and conditioning guy, so a change to Buffalo could help him in that regard. I tend to believe that the Browns conditioning coach wasn't all that good considering everyone got hurt in Cleveland under the Botch Davis regime.

ICE74129
03-28-2006, 09:35 AM
He's being replaced in Cleveland by the BEST Center in football. Again, goes to my whole thing of most teams upgrade when given the chance to upgrade. Faine is not a pro-bowl caliber Center but is an upgrade over fowler and preston and has played/started his whole career. And Fowler I believe would be an upgrade over Bennie Anderson at G. I'm sure I'm not the only one around here that thinks Bennie is absolutely horrible. Granted, yes, you can do better than him with who is in the NFL however that requires spending ridiculous amounts of money to one position, in terms of signing bonus, base, whatever. His injury risk is the only real downside to this guy. Which could be because of his lack of strength and conditioning or because of the guy who was in Cleveland as the strength and conditioning guy, so a change to Buffalo could help him in that regard. I tend to believe that the Browns conditioning coach wasn't all that good considering everyone got hurt in Cleveland under the Botch Davis regime.

And I am saying he is NOT an upgrade over fowler. Fowler is on his way up in this league and Faine is a first round bust like Mike Williams.

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 09:40 AM
And I am saying he is NOT an upgrade over fowler. Fowler is on his way up in this league and Faine is a first round bust like Mike Williams.

Only you would compare a late-first round CENTER and the FOURTH OVERALL pick in the draft.. unreal.

finsrclowns
03-28-2006, 08:21 PM
Interesting takes. IMO it's not too late for a 24 year old player to improve his strength, which is really all that's holding Faine back from achieving his 1st round potential. The reason why it's an intriguing possibility, and I'm not sure if people understand this- Faine is still on his rookie contract. If we got him for a 6th he could battle Fowler in TC. We could easily cut him with no or little cap hit. Fowler's resume is nothing to get excited about IMO- he's just a guy. Just like Preston is just a guy.

BillsFever21
03-29-2006, 08:41 AM

Get with the program. Fowler is another one of them up and coming stars we signed under the radar this offseason.