PDA

View Full Version : Ngata may not fit Bills' defensive needs

Mitchy moo
03-28-2006, 07:59 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060328/1038197.asp?tbd1038197.asp

ORLANDO, Fla. - It's starting to look like the Buffalo Bills will not be able to address their needs on either the offensive or defensive line with the eighth overall pick in the NFL draft.

Conventional wisdom among draft experts since the end of the season has been the Bills would select the No. 1-rated defensive tackle, Oregon's Haloti Ngata, with their top choice.
However, Ngata does not look like a good fit for the new defensive system being adopted by Bills coach Dick Jauron. The Bills want all four of their defensive linemen to penetrate gaps in the offensive line. That's how the linemen play in Tampa, Indianapolis and Chicago, and the Bills' new system is going to be similar to the style employed by those teams. Several scouts and personnel directors from around the league say Ngata is not a fit for the "Tampa Cover 2" style, because he is a 345-pound lineman whose strength is occupying two gaps on the line.

Earthquake Enyart
03-28-2006, 08:00 AM
I'm with you Scooby. :up:

Keep up the good work.

ICE74129
03-28-2006, 08:35 AM
"ORLANDO, Fla. - It's starting to look like the Buffalo Bills will not be able to address their needs on either the offensive or defensive line with the eighth overall pick in the NFL draft."

That is the dumbest Friggin statment EVER by a journalist. That is pure fuggin stupidity.

Screw Ngata. Bunkley is there. Justice is there, MANY OL or DL players are there that can be taken that can START for this team.

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 08:36 AM
Good.

I like Bunkley better anyway. I really think Marv is going to take the BPA with a top 10 pick.. He may trade down. If he doesnt, he's taken the best player out there , not based on where he plays.. That article kinda hints at that even more.

ICE74129
03-28-2006, 08:37 AM
BTW....who said this right here on this board about....oh 4 weeks ago?

The good news for the Bills is the draft is considered fairly deep at offensive tackle. They may well be able to find a competent tackle in the second, third or fourth rounds.
"There will be a number of guys taken after the first round who five years from now are going to be making about $5 million a year," said one NFC personnel director.

Hummmm that would be....Me.

Mitchy moo
03-28-2006, 08:56 AM

The good news for the Bills is the draft is considered fairly deep at offensive tackle. They may well be able to find a competent tackle in the second, third or fourth rounds.
"There will be a number of guys taken after the first round who five years from now are going to be making about $5 million a year," said one NFC personnel director.

Well hopefully we can get them for a large discount now with all the draft picks we are going to pick up. Ice, would denver really trade us 2 picks for our 1 pick?

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 09:12 AM

Coming from someone who just minutes ago said Gauhgn's story was "pure stupidity".. As usual, you cant even agree with YOURSELF anymore.

Mark Gaughn is one of the VERY best writers in the entire NFL, and he's also the closest thing the local media has to being a Bills fan.

He was being objective. Look that word up in the dictionary.

It's common knowledge that when you have a pick in the top eight, you take the BEST player available in the draft. If it happens to be in a spot you need, then it's a bonus. Im sure if Brick was available at 8 Levy would take him.

Mark my words, if Vernon Davis, AJ Hawk or Michael Huff is on the board when the Bills pick, if they dont trade down they're taking one fo those three, and if Cutler is on the board (I dont think he'll be) dont be surprised one bit if its him too.

Almost anybody can pick a great player in the top eight. I dont think Marv Levy was brought in to select the 8th best player in the draft.

Good teams, championship teams are built by GOOD GM's who can select good starters in rounds 2 through 4 and even 5.. Ultimately, that will be the area where Levy is evaluated as a GM, as the FA didn't produce a lot of starters.

There are a lot of good tackles and def tackles in the draft. THere is also a handful of good guards. It's Levy's JOB as gm to find these guys in the rounds following the eighth pick.

Personally, I expect Buffalo to trade down.. But if they are on the clock, Marv is taking the best player on the board. There are VERY few positions on this football team that are solid enough that couldn't use an impact player.

ICE74129
03-28-2006, 09:16 AM
Well hopefully we can get them for a large discount now with all the draft picks we are going to pick up. Ice, would denver really trade us 2 picks for our 1 pick?

Like fun said, not now that they have #15. When it was 21 adn 29 yes. But 15, 21 have too much value. Now according to the chart #15 and thier 2nd at #29 would come close to the #8 value. Personally I do the trade if they offered that.

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 09:36 AM
IMO, there is a list of six guys who the Bills use the first draft pick at 8 (I didnt include bush, brick, mario or leinart as that aint happening) By doing math, that means 2 of these 6 would be available to Buffalo based on the first four picks, unless Ngata went before Buffalo, which would make the list at 3 available.

*AJ Hawk
* Broderik Bunkley
* Vernon Davis
* Jay Cutler
* Vince Young
* Michael Huff

mysticsoto
03-28-2006, 09:50 AM
IMO, there is a list of six guys who the Bills use the first draft pick at 8 (I didnt include bush, brick, mario or leinart as that aint happening) By doing math, that means 2 of these 6 would be available to Buffalo based on the first four picks, unless Ngata went before Buffalo, which would make the list at 3 available.

*AJ Hawk
* Broderik Bunkley
* Vernon Davis
* Jay Cutler
* Vince Young
* Michael Huff

I seriously think that if there is a top QB available, we should try to make a trade with Arizona and then get Bunkley with their 1st. But I'm not sure that they would be willing to give up a 2nd also just to move up - they seem very cheap - last year they didn't want to make the trade for Travis Henry and instead kept trying to offload the loser LJ Shelton on us. Thank god Donahoe wasn't dumb enough to fall for that!!!

Minnesota is another option, but if we fall too low, we might miss being able to get Bunkley...

Bmax
03-28-2006, 10:50 AM
Huff
Hawk
Brick
bunkley
williams

Are the only guys i would consider...at 8 .. and three of them are most likely gone ...so i guess i'm leaning toward Huff.....I would rather they trade down to and draft winston and donte whittner...

DT john Mccargo would be very nice in rd 2 ...

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/dt/johnmccargo.html

Bmax

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 11:00 AM
I seriously think that if there is a top QB available, we should try to make a trade with Arizona and then get Bunkley with their 1st. But I'm not sure that they would be willing to give up a 2nd also just to move up - they seem very cheap - last year they didn't want to make the trade for Travis Henry and instead kept trying to offload the loser LJ Shelton on us. Thank god Donahoe wasn't dumb enough to fall for that!!!

Minnesota is another option, but if we fall too low, we might miss being able to get Bunkley...

I think minn at 17 is too low to still get BUnkley, and probably too low to get Winston Justice either.........Eric winston at 17 could be there, if Miami doesnt take him at 16 (and I think they will)

Mr. Pink
03-28-2006, 11:04 AM
Cleveland seems to be high on Bunkley at 12 if he's there. So him falling past there would be a big shock.

ICE74129
03-28-2006, 11:37 AM
Cleveland seems to be high on Bunkley at 12 if he's there. So him falling past there would be a big shock.

I thought Cleveland said they already have Ngaga's name on the card in case he is there. Not saying you aren't right, I just remember what they were saying before the combine.

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 11:38 AM
Ngata is VERY doubtful to be there at 12.

Mr. Pink
03-28-2006, 11:41 AM
Cleveland is looking at Ngata and Bunkley...Bunkley more so because as Pat said, Ngata in all likelihood won't be there at 12. If they both are still available I don't know which of the two they take.

Tatonka
03-28-2006, 11:46 AM
just take vernon davis or hawk..

or trade down and get a DT and OL in the first.

DraftBoy
03-28-2006, 12:03 PM
Huff is the pick at 8 if we dont trade down either way Im happy.

JUST SAY NO TO NGATA!!

!Papacrunk!
03-28-2006, 01:29 PM
I'd take Huff, but then again we really need help at safety, so I'm a bit biased.

Kerr
03-28-2006, 10:11 PM
McCargo sounds like a good fit for the defense.