PDA

View Full Version : Latest Mock

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 11:18 AM
This is my latest mock..... I only listed the first 22 picks because I am lazy and I wanted to make sure all AFC East picks were included... I'm working on it still but as of this moment, this is what I got happening (barring draft day trades). I do my last (and full mock) the week prior to the draft.

1- Houston- Bush
2- N.O.- Brick
3- Tenn- Leinart
4- Jets- Mario Williams
5- Packers- Hawk
6- SF- Vernon Davis
7- Oak- Cutler
8- Buffalo- Michael Huff
9- Detroit- Winston Justice (reach)
10- Arizona- Vince Young
11- Rams- Haloti Ngata
12- Cleveland- Bunkley
13- Baltimore- Jimmy Williams
14- Philly- LenDale White
15- Denver- Chad Jackson
16- Miami- Eric Winston
17- Minnesota- Manny Lawson
18- Dallas- Jason Allen
19- San Diego- Santonio Holmes
20- KC- Tye Hill
21- NE- DeAngelo Williams
22 Denver- Darnell Bing

29- Jets- Davin Joseph

Rest of Bills on Day One
2- Charles Spencer, G
3A- Darren Colledge, T
3B- Rod Wright, DT

mysticsoto
03-28-2006, 11:30 AM
This is my latest mock..... I only listed the first 22 picks because I am lazy and I wanted to make sure all AFC East picks were included... I'm working on it still but as of this moment, this is what I got happening (barring draft day trades). I do my last (and full mock) the week prior to the draft.

1- Houston- Bush
2- N.O.- Brick
3- Tenn- Leinart
4- Jets- Mario Williams
5- Packers- Hawk
6- SF- Vernon Davis
7- Oak- Cutler
8- Buffalo- Michael Huff
9- Detroit- Winston Justice (reach)
10- Arizona- Vince Young
11- Rams- Haloti Ngata
12- Cleveland- Bunkley
13- Baltimore- Jimmy Williams
14- Philly- LenDale White
15- Denver- Chad Jackson
16- Miami- Eric Winston
17- Minnesota- Manny Lawson
18- Dallas- Jason Allen
19- San Diego- Santonio Holmes
20- KC- Tye Hill
21- NE- DeAngelo Williams
22 Denver- Darnell Bing

29- Jets- Davin Joseph

Rest of Bills on Day One
2- Charles Spencer, G
3A- Darren Colledge, T
3B- Rod Wright, DT

You're 2nd and 3a are good, but I'd worry with getting Rod Wright as a DT. Who's going to start for our 2nd DT? I doubt that Wright would be ready, and our Anderson has shown that he's not going to cut it. Unless you expect to get someone after some June 1st cuts...DT would be a big worry position.

PS It's Daryn Colledge

clumping platelets
03-28-2006, 11:31 AM
You cannot go into the draft expecting to draft starters.......

mysticsoto
03-28-2006, 11:32 AM
You cannot go into the draft expecting to draft starters.......

Do we have a choice? We have no 2nd DT starter and no current LG starter...

clumping platelets
03-28-2006, 11:35 AM
Bennie Anderson or Duke Preston will be the starter at LG

Tim Anderson is the starter at the other DT....

We have starters on the roster.....I shudder at the opinion that drafted players can be counted on to come in and be productive as rookies....recipe for disaster.

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 11:36 AM
No single draft can fill this many holes.. They'd have to go by DT by committee, just as of this moment they'd have to do the same at safety..

Michael Huff works because
* Besides Vernon DAvis, he's probably the best athlete in the draft. Like some other good safeties coming out, he's quick as hell to cover.. Unlike many, he brings the noise against the run.

* This could very well be Vincent's last year with the Bills.. This is a team being built for the future at this point.

* Its very possible it could be Nate Clements last year as well. I've seen no indications he's going to sign long term unless he's one of the best paid corners in the NFL... I dont think we keep tagging him every year if thats the case and paying $7.2 million per (or more). I hope to get something worked out with nate but I sure as hell wouldnt bank on it. Huff can play ANYWHERE in the secondary.

* I look at what safeties like Roy Williams, Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu have done for their defenses. I like the concept of a franchise safety on the team.

DraftBoy
03-28-2006, 11:37 AM
Only pick I dont like is Colledge, must rather take a player like Whitworth and maybe Orien Harris over Rod Wright. 1st round pick though is amazing.

Clump I completely disagree esp with this draft where starters can be found easily as deep as round 3. In the draft in my opinion you go in with the mentality to help out your team as best possible whether that be depth or drafting an immediate starter. In Pat's Mock we draft 3-4 starters easily and thats why its a good mock, bc it fills the needs we have with the players who will immediatly step up and be a starter. How good they may be will be told in time, but you always draft based on can this kid one day start for my team or have a big impact. Otherwise whats the point of drafting anybody?

ICE74129
03-28-2006, 11:39 AM

We have starters on the roster.....I shudder at the opinion that drafted players can be counted on to come in and be productive as rookies....recipe for disaster.

Since when? I can tell you right now we take Ngata or Bunkley, they start!

clumping platelets
And from the same logic, drafting a LB high makes sense as well....

quite honestly, more and more....I think the Bills trade down for more picks and draft not only quality but quantity

ICE74129
You're 2nd and 3a are good, but I'd worry with getting Rod Wright as a DT. Who's going to start for our 2nd DT? I doubt that Wright would be ready, and our Anderson has shown that he's not going to cut it. Unless you expect to get someone after some June 1st cuts...DT would be a big worry position.

PS It's Daryn Colledge

You just aren't going to accept the fact our DC flat out stated we have our two starters at Safety are you?

patmoran2006
so does Michael Huff or ANY 8th overall pick for that matter..

clumping platelets
03-28-2006, 11:40 AM
Since when? I can tell you right now we take Ngata or Bunkley, they start!

When did you become HC?

DraftBoy
03-28-2006, 11:41 AM

Thats nice I shudder at the thought of not drafting to win and more and more years of crappiness which is exactly what your suggesting by starting Anderson, Anderson, and/or Preston. A much bigger recipe for disaster. I think we both would of been happier with a FA pickup in each categor but it just didnt happen so why not draft Day 1 kids that have the ability to come in and produce instead of relying on people we know cant produce? What logic does that have behind it. Personally I wouldnt mind Preston starting at G bc he was DP last year and didnt get harldy any time, but Anderson showed me more than enough of nothingness last year to know he's not a starter bc he was a bad pick to begin with.

DraftBoy
03-28-2006, 11:42 AM
You just aren't going to accept the fact our DC flat out stated we have our two starters at Safety are you?

Link? Exact Quote?

patmoran2006

Not anymore than you are flat-out stupid if you dont think the bills will take a player in the draft if he's better than Matt Bowens...

I've heard a TON about competition on the football field at every position.. I've yet to hear Ferrel say that we're done looking at safeties because we already have our starters and they dont need any competition.

patmoran2006
Link? Exact Quote?
thank you . I"d like to hear this exact quote myself as well.

clumping platelets
03-28-2006, 11:45 AM
Eric Moulds was a 1st rd pick who was a bum his 1st 2 yrs....he broke out in yr 3

Tim Anderson has been here 2 yrs....new defense could be more of a fit to his abilities.....

More and more, I do not see many people who truly understand the draft

mysticsoto
03-28-2006, 11:48 AM

Are you addressing me or PatMoran? I'm not for drafting Huff in the 1st. I don't think it would be the worse thing in the world, but in Pat's mock, I'd become worried about the DT position.

Huff may be a great S, and may upgrade our secondary considerably, but most teams will not be passing on us with the crappy D-line we'd have...

SABURZFAN
03-28-2006, 11:51 AM

quite honestly, more and more....I think the Bills trade down for more picks and draft not only quality but quantity

somebody may want to move up for cutler.

clumping platelets
03-28-2006, 11:53 AM
That's a possibility SAB.......Bills could then address depth at multiple positions then. if they turn into starters quickly, that's gravy

DraftBoy
03-28-2006, 11:53 AM
Eric Moulds was a 1st rd pick who was a bum his 1st 2 yrs....he broke out in yr 3

Tim Anderson has been here 2 yrs....new defense could be more of a fit to his abilities.....

Are you trying to say something Clump, bc if you are I suggest you just say it and dont try and alude to it. If you dont think there can be differing opinions on the point of the draft than you are being ignorant to such opinions. Id like to know what your last statement means and who you are truly referring to.

Yes new defense could easily be a better fit to his abilities, but Clump do you know what D Ohio St used when Anderson was there? If not then explain to me how a cover 2 D which will be may a completely new scheme in any ways fit his abilities better. Anderson is a good 3rd DT, but never will be worth a spit as a starter.

mysticsoto
03-28-2006, 11:54 AM

Bennie Anderson? :puke:

I'd be okay with Duke at LG, but I had thought that he might contend for the starting C also.

Tim Anderson showed absolutely nothing last year, and people ran by him left and right. What makes us think he's going to be any better this year? I would much rather rely on Bunkley starting - even as a rookie, than Anderson. The difference is, we've already seen Anderson and he didn't look good. Bunkley may make some mistakes here and there as a rookie, but atleast he has potential with his physical skills.

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 11:54 AM
There's a million possibilities.. my point is to draft the BEST player who you can get with eight (if they dont trade down, which I think they might and probably should).. A guy who will impact your franchise.

And then you draft based on what you need most the rest of the way..

DraftBoy
03-28-2006, 11:55 AM
somebody may want to move up for cutler.

Would love to see that happen!

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 12:00 PM
Bennie Anderson? :puke:

I'd be okay with Duke at LG, but I had thought that he might contend for the starting C also.

Tim Anderson showed absolutely nothing last year, and people ran by him left and right. What makes us think he's going to be any better this year? I would much rather rely on Bunkley starting - even as a rookie, than Anderson. The difference is, we've already seen Anderson and he didn't look good. Bunkley may make some mistakes here and there as a rookie, but atleast he has potential with his physical skills.

We're going to have holes no matter how good our draft is, because we didnt sign enough proven starters via FA.. Whether that sucks or not (I think it does). That's the way it is.

Id love to have a new starting LG, LT, DT, WR and S through this draft, but its not going to happen.. You pick the players that you think will perform the best for years to come, not just rookies to plug into holes where your starter is a bum.

This is why I been such a whiny ***** about the crap we pulled at FA. We have holes all over the place right now.. On March 9 (day before FA started) I never imagined heading into the draft we'd still have between four and six positions (out of 22) that desperately need to be improved.

I just hope this draft goes really well for us.. The more holes you have, the more logical it appears to trade down. But you cant really count on rookies to be better than what was already there last year, even if that vet was trash.

mysticsoto
03-28-2006, 12:01 PM
There's a million possibilities.. my point is to draft the BEST player who you can get with eight (if they dont trade down, which I think they might and probably should).. A guy who will impact your franchise.

And then you draft based on what you need most the rest of the way..

Most of the time I agree with this philosophy except that when drafting, I think it's important to take into account the style/schemes being implemented for the team also. A cover 2 style can still be decent without a superstar safety. But our D-line will not be decent with what we currently have on our roster. Rod Wright will not be an improvement or even close to starter material. In fact, he seems lazy at times and is best served for backup (atleast if/until someone can light a fire under him). Had we gotten Pickett or someone else to take the position, I wouldn't have a problem with your pick. But as we stand, I can't fathom having such a bad Dline - and I doubt Marv allows that...

Mr. Pink
03-28-2006, 12:02 PM

The draft is for players who will develop down the road and hope help the franchise in 3 years, more or less. If you're top 10 you're EXPECTED to get a major contributor out of whatever guy you select, and why that player usually gets a big contract. Past round 4 you're taking guys for depth and filling out roster spots and from time to time, yes you can majorly hit on a "diamond in the rough." So through the draft, we're realistically looking at 1 definite major contributor as a starter. The 2nd and 3rd round guys are usually viewed upon as starters for teams with lots of holes, which is lets face it, a team we are at this point. Other teams without the holes are able to go out and "reach" for someone in these rounds on the hopes that they'll pan out and pay off in their system. As evidenced last year by Denver taking Mo Clarett. And as you see those choices don't always work.

To get 2 major contributors from the draft to this squad in 2006 would be a pleasant and welcome surprise. I believe the aforementioned reasons are the reasons why some of us have complained about the lack of Buffalos' involvement bringing in quality "name" players through FA. Sure a player like Larry Allen, Ted Washington etc....would only have 2 years, give or take a year, left in the tank BUT they would be able to mold a youngster and teach him things to do on the field to make the youngster better when it's his turn to take over. Yes, that means we woulda brought in one to two year stopgaps who would improve us now and hopefully would then be able to tutor and mentor the guy brought in through the draft.

Example of this Ted Washington was brought in to Cleveland, he's nothing more than a 1-2 year stopgap at DT, but he immensely helps their D-line and if they draft Bunkley or Ngata, he then is there to tutor and teach the youngster some of the nuances of the pro game. Thereby making that player even more ready to make the jump to the pro game when he is thrust into the everyday starting role.

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 12:02 PM
Most of the time I agree with this philosophy except that when drafting, I think it's important to take into account the style/schemes being implemented for the team also. A cover 2 style can still be decent without a superstar safety. But our D-line will not be decent with what we currently have on our roster. Rod Wright will not be an improvement or even close to starter material. In fact, he seems lazy at times and is best served for backup (atleast if/until someone can light a fire under him). Had we gotten Pickett or someone else to take the position, I wouldn't have a problem with your pick. But as we stand, I can't fathom having such a bad Dline - and I doubt Marv allows that...

well, that is a good point.. He might not wait til round three to address DT.. He could go DT in 2 and guard in three then.. That's a good point there, are front four is currently putrid.

TigerJ
03-28-2006, 12:05 PM
I don't mind that draft, Pat. I agree with Draftboy on Whitworth over Colledge. Whitworth is bigger, much stronger, has faced a higher level of competition and his combine proved to me he is athletic enough to handle either tackle spot. I don't mind the Rod Wright pick at all though. He has dropped because of worries about a tendency to underachieve, but I think third round is a good spot to take him. The right position coach, and Buffalo reputedly has one of the best in the league could light a fire under him and turn him into one of the best DTs in the whole draft. Moreover I think Wright is versatile enough to play either a penetrator or a guy who will tie up blockers for linebackers to make plays.

Buffalo is not going to get the next superstar left defensive end in this draft. That much is pretty clear, but I think we can get enough of an upgrade at DT that our ends will be more effective. Your draft should upgrade the offensive line depth to the point where the line should be a strength in a year or two.

clumping platelets
03-28-2006, 12:06 PM
The draft is for players who will develop down the road and hope help the franchise in 3 years, more or less. If you're top 10 you're EXPECTED to get a major contributor out of whatever guy you select, and why that player usually gets a big contract. Past round 4 you're taking guys for depth and filling out roster spots and from time to time, yes you can majorly hit on a "diamond in the rough." So through the draft, we're realistically looking at 1 definite major contributor as a starter. The 2nd and 3rd round guys are usually viewed upon as starters for teams with lots of holes, which is lets face it, a team we are at this point. Other teams without the holes are able to go out and "reach" for someone in these rounds on the hopes that they'll pan out and pay off in their system. As evidenced last year by Denver taking Mo Clarett. And as you see those choices don't always work.

To get 2 major contributors from the draft to this squad in 2006 would be a pleasant and welcome surprise. I believe the aforementioned reasons are the reasons why some of us have complained about the lack of Buffalos' involvement bringing in quality "name" players through FA. Sure a player like Larry Allen, Ted Washington etc....would only have 2 years, give or take a year, left in the tank BUT they would be able to mold a youngster and teach him things to do on the field to make the youngster better when it's his turn to take over. Yes, that means we woulda brought in one to two year stopgaps who would improve us now and hopefully would then be able to tutor and mentor the guy brought in through the draft.

Example of this Ted Washington was brought in to Cleveland, he's nothing more than a 1-2 year stopgap at DT, but he immensely helps their D-line and if they draft Bunkley or Ngata, he then is there to tutor and teach the youngster some of the nuances of the pro game. Thereby making that player even more ready to make the jump to the pro game when he is thrust into the everyday starting role.

Very well said......the only exception to the top 10 thing is QB

But I remember a 4th overall who was expected to start and people couldn't wait to run his arse outta town....

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 12:15 PM

Keep that up and you'll lose your neg rep.. Except for the few chosen few who treat rep like its an arcade game in here.

I agree with these points 100%, and thats why AJ Hawk, Huff and Vernon Davis, and Jay Cutler are the top four on my REALISTIC draft list.. I have Huff in my mock because I got Davis, Hawk and Cutler gone.

I think we should get two starters in 2006 from this draft; that would be considered a very good draft. Anything else NEEDS to be upgraded somehow with a bargain FA.

as far as the stopgap player, I'd STILL LOVE to Have Brad Hopkins come here and draft a tackle later in the draft to develop... and I'd LOVE to have ANY DT who's capable of starting in 2006 via FA, doesnt have to big a huge name...

DraftBoy
03-28-2006, 12:19 PM

Well said!!!! :bf1:

DraftBoy
03-28-2006, 12:26 PM
Keep that up and you'll lose your neg rep.. Except for the few chosen few who treat rep like its an arcade game in here.

I agree with these points 100%, and thats why AJ Hawk, Huff and Vernon Davis, and Jay Cutler are the top four on my REALISTIC draft list.. I have Huff in my mock because I got Davis, Hawk and Cutler gone.

I think we should get two starters in 2006 from this draft; that would be considered a very good draft. Anything else NEEDS to be upgraded somehow with a bargain FA.

as far as the stopgap player, I'd STILL LOVE to Have Brad Hopkins come here and draft a tackle later in the draft to develop... and I'd LOVE to have ANY DT who's capable of starting in 2006 via FA, doesnt have to big a huge name...

Hopkins would be a good pickup and the DT you may be looking for could be Buckner, or Jackson is still out there.

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 12:27 PM
Get ready for the "thats not the way the Steelers and Colts and pats build their team" comments..

I dont care what your team is.. you have to have a mix.. Signing EVERYBODY doesnt work as Washington has proved. Signing NOBODY doesnt work either as the Bengals proved throughout the entire 1990's. and didnt they draft high like EVERY year?

You have to draft REAL smart, overpay for 1-2 guys who will help you most, then find some vet leadership who can help mold the future.. That should be the model for ANY franchise.

Having a great coach and FO helps too.. The jury hasn't even deliberated yet on the Levy-run era so to evaluate them now is stupid... I will say I"m not liking the opening arguements though. But I think Marv will do a good job on this draft and I can guarentee you at #8 if they dont trade he's taken the best player on the board.

Anyone who doesnt think he'll take Cutler because we already have JP, Davis cause of Royal, Huff cause of Bowens or Hawk because of Crowell, is HIGH..

I dont rule out Bunkely either. I like him.. I also had him rated higher than Ngata before this news article came out today.. I had him in my mock to Buffalo a few weeks ago... he could be a Tommie Harris type for the Bills so they can get IMPACT AND a need covered in one shot. But at eight, he may be a reach.

McBFLO
03-28-2006, 01:18 PM

I agree with that, unless a stud is somehow still on the board (Brick, Hawk, Williams...).

Oaklandraider
03-28-2006, 01:33 PM
i disagree the raiders arent taking a qb we have three capable ones on the roster and it seems youve never heard of a smoke screen?

Oaklandraider
03-28-2006, 01:34 PM
were taking huff or vernon by the way you can change your pick now.

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 01:36 PM
I could see VErnon or Huff going to 32 teams in the league. YOur THAT sold on Brooks or Walter as your QB?

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 01:52 PM
were taking huff or vernon by the way you can change your pick now.
'Ya, cause you have no interest in a QB, right..

Raiders | Team given permission to visit with Harrington
Tue, 28 Mar 2006 11:43:33 -0800
Tom Kowalski, of mlive.com, reports <A href="http://www.kffl.com/team/16/nfl">Detroit Lions team president Matt Millen has given the Oakland Raiders (http://www.kffl.com/team/28/nfl) permission to invite Lions' QB Joey Harrington (http://www.kffl.com/player/660/nfl) for a visit. Millen isn't sure if Harrington is going to visit the Raiders, but they've been given permission to talk to him.