PDA

View Full Version : Pope's contract is CHEAP

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 12:08 PM
Jets | Contract update: M. Pope
Tue, 28 Mar 2006 08:13:25 -0800
<A href="http://www.kffl.com/link/3">Bill Williamson, of the Denver Post (http://www.kffl.com/link/184), reports DT Monsanto Pope (http://www.kffl.com/player/5685/nfl) signed a one-year, $585,000 contract that also included a $40,000 signing bonus with the New York Jets (http://www.kffl.com/team/27/nfl), according to agent Ron Del Duca.

Thats a CHEAP contract .. I cant see how how he couldn't have added good depth to our team, and we did have him in town.

clumping platelets
03-28-2006, 12:11 PM
Maybe he preferred playing for the Jets :idunno:

That's a 1 yr vets minimum deal....he plays well and he could parlay into a bigger deal

OpIv37
03-28-2006, 12:11 PM
depth? He'd be a starter here- you saw the jokers that we had on our D line last year.

BleedinGreenNC
03-28-2006, 12:31 PM
depth? He'd be a starter here- you saw the jokers that we had on our D line last year.

:bf1:

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 12:32 PM
Maybe he preferred playing for the Jets :idunno:

That's a 1 yr vets minimum deal....he plays well and he could parlay into a bigger deal

Im hoping thats not true, because if we cant even get backup DT's to come to our team before the Jets we are in huge trouble dude.

DraftBoy
03-28-2006, 12:35 PM
Damn I think we missed the boat on that one he would of been a good pickup at that price.

billsburgh
03-28-2006, 12:40 PM
just maybe the staff didnt want him here after meeting him. if he came that cheap and the staff did want him, the deal would have been done by now.

justasportsfan
03-28-2006, 12:46 PM
just maybe the staff didnt want him here after meeting him. if he came that cheap and the staff did want him, the deal would have been done by now.
Stop talking sense.

Jan Reimers
03-28-2006, 12:49 PM
Marv must have been taking his midday nap, in preparation for his warm milk and 9:00 PM bedtime, when the Pope signing went down.

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 01:00 PM
Here's another guy we had in once, who signed elsewhere, seems like a fair contract.

Cowboys | Contract update: J. Fabini
Tue, 28 Mar 2006 10:24:40 -0800
<A href="http://www.kffl.com/team/14/nfl">Dallas Cowboys OT Jason Fabini (http://www.kffl.com/player/1345/nfl) signed a three-year contract with base salaries of $750,000 (2006), $1 million (2007) and $1 million (2008).

OpIv37
03-28-2006, 01:19 PM

Stop talking sense.

right- doing nothing about a DL that was the worst in the league last year was a much better option.

justasportsfan
03-28-2006, 01:54 PM
right- doing nothing about a DL that was the worst in the league last year was a much better option.*****ing about not signing who YOU think is a good fit isn't fixing things either.

Seriously, if the bills thought he was all that he would be a bill . I mean cmon, the guy signed a one year deal at minimun. How come NO OTHER TEAM SIGNED him for more? Are you more qualified to think all these other teams are wrong as well?

I am not gonna cry over players we cut or don't sign. Marv and Dick have a plan. A plan that neither you nor I know. You can play interenet GM all you want fact is, you are not a GM and stop acting like you know more than Marv and Dick.

OpIv37
03-28-2006, 02:02 PM
*****ing about not signing who YOU think is a good fit isn't fixing things either.

Seriously, if the bills thought he was all that he would be a bill . I mean cmon, the guy signed a one year deal at minimun. How come NO OTHER TEAM SIGNED him for more? Are you more qualified to think all these other teams are wrong as well?

I am not gonna cry over players we cut or don't sign. Marv and Dick have a plan. A plan that neither you nor I know. You can play interenet GM all you want fact is, you are not a GM and stop acting like you know more than Marv and Dick.

I know our DL sucked last year. And I know that this off-season, at best we broke even (trading Adams for Triplett). Logical conclusion: The DL still SUCKS.

I'm not in a position to do anything about it. Marv and Dick are, but so far they haven't done it and now all the FA's are signed. Maybe this guy wasn't the right guy, but you mean to tell me that out of all the DT's available, Tripplett was the only one better than Sape and Anderson? I find that hard to believe.

Apparently their plan is to give up 150 rushing yards per game like we did last year.

justasportsfan
03-28-2006, 02:14 PM
I know our DL sucked last year. And I know that this off-season, at best we broke even (trading Adams for Triplett). Logical conclusion: The DL still SUCKS.

I'm not in a position to do anything about it. Marv and Dick are, but so far they haven't done it and now all the FA's are signed. Maybe this guy wasn't the right guy, but you mean to tell me that out of all the DT's available, Tripplett was the only one better than Sape and Anderson? I find that hard to believe.

Apparently their plan is to give up 150 rushing yards per game like we did last year.
Last year was last year. I thought we all agree our coaches sucked. Maybe our players were put in a position no to make plays. Do I know that for sure? NO , BUT NEITHER DO YOU.

Answer me one question, how come NOBODY else signed him for more than league minimum?

OP, I don't agree with all of MArv's moves but I am not gonna act like it's a mistake because there aren't any facts to support whether they are or not. You on the other hand ACT like they are.

When you complain about something that isn't fact, all your doing is whining.

If MArv addresses that Dl between now and June 1 and the draft, ALL YOU DID WAS WHINE .

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 02:16 PM
or it could be a realistic possibility at this stage at least, players are taking a look at this organization and saying "I'll pass".

Nobody knows what's going on right now for sure, and I sure as hell hope this draft plucks us a few solid contributors.

OpIv37
03-28-2006, 02:20 PM
Last year was last year. I thought we all agree our coaches sucked. Maybe our players were put in a position no to make plays. Do I know that for sure? NO , BUT NEITHER DO YOU.

Answer me one question, how come NOBODY else signed him for more than league minimum?

OP, I don't agree with all of MArv's moves but I am not gonna act like it's a mistake because there aren't any facts to support whether they are or not. You on the other hand ACT like they are.

When you complain about something that isn't fact, all your doing is whining.

If MArv addresses that Dl between now and June 1 and the draft, ALL YOU DID WAS WHINE .

The DL sucked last year.
In '04, with the same coaches, the run D was great.
Marv has done nothing to fix the DL yet, except lose one starter and replace him.
Most of the DL FA's have changed.

Those are all FACTS. DL is a power position, and yes schemes can help, but no scheme is going to prevent Tim Anderson from getting steamrolled by some mediocre guard.

Do I know for a fact that the guys we passed on would have improved the line? No, no one does. But do I know for a fact that the line we had last year wasn't good enough? YES. And do I know for a fact that nothing has been done to fix it? YES.

justasportsfan
03-28-2006, 02:37 PM
The DL sucked last year.
In '04, with the same coaches, the run D was great.
Marv has done nothing to fix the DL yet, except lose one starter and replace him.
Most of the DL FA's have changed.

Those are all FACTS. DL is a power position, and yes schemes can help, but no scheme is going to prevent Tim Anderson from getting steamrolled by some mediocre guard.

Do I know for a fact that the guys we passed on would have improved the line? No, no one does. But do I know for a fact that the line we had last year wasn't good enough? YES. And do I know for a fact that nothing has been done to fix it? YES.

Like I siad, it isn't over yet. There's June 1 and there's the draft. If it is adressed , all you did was jump the gun w/ tears. Even if we don't address it and Anderson or Sape turns out to break out under the knew scheme, all you did was whine.

We are in rebuilding mode. We don't just sign someone who the league didn't think was worth more than league minimum. You act like Pope was the best DT out in FA'cy. Sheez, he signed a one year minimum. :shakeno:

Do you know more than the entire league? NO. But oviously you are more qualified than MArv and Dick since you think they are wrong. NOT.

justasportsfan
03-28-2006, 02:45 PM
You guys are crying over a player that played 2 games last year? Check out his nos.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302107

Anderson had better nos that than for crying out loud and he was playing for what you say was a crappy team.

OpIv37
03-28-2006, 02:46 PM
Like I siad, it isn't over yet. There's June 1 and there's the draft. If it is adressed , all you did was jump the gun w/ tears. Even if we don't address it and Anderson or Sape turns out to break out under the knew scheme, all you did was whine.

We are in rebuilding mode. We don't just sign someone who the league didn't think was worth more than league minimum. You act like Pope was the best DT out in FA'cy. Sheez, he signed a one year minimum. :shakeno:

Do you know more than the entire league? NO. But oviously you are more qualified than MArv and Dick since you think they are wrong. NOT.

Just because Dick and Marv know more about football than I do doesn't mean they are always right. Tom Donahoe knows more about football than anyone who posts here- was he right when he drafted Mike Williams? What about when he picked GW and MM as head coaches? What about when he failed to replace Pat Williams last season? (which btw I did say not replacing Pat was a mistake last year, and you can look it up if you want)

You should go join the Taliban- they LOVE people who are afraid to question the authorities. I can't believe you're suggesting that because Dick and Marv are professionals, and we're not, we have no right to question them. If you go to the doctor with a severe headache and he diagnoses you with athlete's foot, are you going to trust him cuz he's a "professional", or are you going to get a second opinion?

Marv MAYBE gets some benefit of the doubt because he was so good here before. Jauron has a losing record as a head coach- why should we trust him?

And you're focusing too much on Pope. I'm concerned that NOTHING was done to the DL- not just this particular case.

justasportsfan
03-28-2006, 02:51 PM
OP, Marv wasn't the only one who didn't think he was worth more than what he got. The entire league as well. Why do you keep dodging that point.

Check out his nos and look who you are whining about.

OpIv37
03-28-2006, 03:01 PM
OP, Marv wasn't the only one who didn't think he was worth more than what he got. The entire league as well. Why do you keep dodging that point.

Check out his nos and look who you are whining about.

Why do you keep dodging the point that I said twice? It's not just about Pope- it's about having a horrible DL and doing nothing.

justasportsfan
03-28-2006, 03:02 PM
So , what happened.? After all your whining you just found out he may not even be an upgrade over Sape , huh? :snicker:

justasportsfan
03-28-2006, 03:04 PM
Why do you keep dodging the point that I said twice? It's not just about Pope- it's about having a horrible DL and doing nothing. yeah right. I've answered that already. There's June 1st and the draft HELLOOO!!!!

OpIv37
03-28-2006, 03:09 PM
yeah right. I've answered that already. There's June 1st and the draft HELLOOO!!!!

Right. The Draft. You mean where we got Mike Williams and Erik Flowers? Remember Erik Flowers? He plays the same position we're talking about here.

The draft is a crap shoot for two reasons- 1. You don't know if the guy you want will still be on the board. 2. You don't know if he'll be any GOOD once you get him.
In fact, Marv Levy's mentor- George Allen- would frequently trade away his entire draft for players who had already proven their worth. So building through the draft is like investing in a game of roullette.

And how many quality guys will really be available after the June 1 cuts? You can hold your breath- I won't.

I already said several times that this Pope guy may not have been the answer, but I refuse to believe that none of the DT's who were signed since FA started are better for this team than Sape and Anderson. If that's the case, last year everyone's DL's would have been as bad as ours.

We have a position on this team where we were absolutely horrendous last year, and so far nothing's been done about it. And you're ok with this? You know, people accuse me of not being a fan cuz I ***** about this team- I'm starting to wonder if the people who can accept this garbage are really fans.

justasportsfan
03-28-2006, 03:21 PM
Right. The Draft. You mean where we got Mike Williams and Erik Flowers? Remember Erik Flowers? He plays the same position we're talking about here.. Lee Evans , Willis. etc. etc. How abour PAT WILLIAMS.You're getting deperate . However , I'm not surprised you're all set to think we won't draft right. It's like you to say it's all over before we even draft yet. Typical OP.

The draft is a crap shoot for two reasons- 1. You don't know if the guy you want will still be on the board. 2. You don't know if he'll be any GOOD once you get him.
In fact, Marv Levy's mentor- George Allen- would frequently trade away his entire draft for players who had already proven their worth. So building through the draft is like investing in a game of roullette.

And how many quality guys will really be available after the June 1 cuts? You can hold your breath- I won't.

I already said several times that this Pope guy may not have been the answer, but I refuse to believe that none of the DT's who were signed since FA started are better for this team than Sape and Anderson. If that's the case, last year everyone's DL's would have been as bad as ours.

We have a position on this team where we were absolutely horrendous last year, and so far nothing's been done about it. And you're ok with this? You know, people accuse me of not being a fan cuz I ***** about this team- I'm starting to wonder if the people who can accept this garbage are really fans. Now you're just trying to backpedal.

I don't care who is released in June 1. You're telling me that nothing is being done about the Dl and yet you are whining about not bringing in someone who you think is....
He'd be a starter here- you saw the jokers that we had on our D line last year.

You lost your credibility right there. Pope deosn't even seem to be an upgrade over the ones we already have.

Nevermind the facts. Your whiny opinion is better than Marv's moves. Sure.

OpIv37
03-28-2006, 03:27 PM
Lee Evans , Willis. etc. etc. How abour PAT WILLIAMS.You're getting deperate . However , I'm not surprised you're all set to think we won't draft right. It's like you to say it's all over before we even draft yet. Typical OP.

yeah right. Now you're just trying to save face . You use a thread to whine about not improving the..

I don't care who is released in June 1. You're telling me that nothing is being done about the Dl and yet you are whining about someone who you think is....

You lost your credibility right there. Pope deosn't even seem to be an upgrade over the one we already have.

Nevermind the facts. Your whiny opinion is better than Marv's moves. Sure.

Again, focused on Pope and not the issue of addressing the DL.

You think Willis is a good draft pick? he's had 18 good games out of the 36 since he's been here. He might be a good one, but so far it's too soon to tell.
This team has done horrible with the draft lately (with one or two notable exceptions like Evans). So when you combine that fact with the two points I made above- you don't always get your guy and your guy isn't always good if you do get him- I don't know where you get all this confidence in the draft.

And drafted players take time to develop- what makes you think that whoever we get will be able to step in and contribute immediately, particularly if we don't go DT in round 1?

And one other thing: Marv did NOTHING with the early FA's, what makes you think the June 1 cuts will be ANY DIFFERENT? And since you do think it will be different, isn't that just your whiny opinion?

OpIv37
03-28-2006, 03:29 PM
Oh I forgot- you said that my whiny opinion was better than Marv's moves- WHAT moves? That's the whole problem here- he's done nothing with the DL.

justasportsfan
03-28-2006, 03:35 PM
Again, focused on Pope and not the issue of addressing the DL. ?well DUh. You decided to whine in a thread about a guy who played 2 games last year.Unlike you I am not gonna whine about the Dl over and over again when the season is months away . Hellooo!

You think Willis is a good draft pick? he's had 18 good games out of the 36 since he's been here. He might be a good one, but so far it's too soon to tell. ?Oh now, your playing the wait and see . :crazy: This is why its hard to take you seriously.

This team has done horrible with the draft lately (with one or two notable exceptions like Evans). So when you combine that fact with the two points I made above- you don't always get your guy and your guy isn't always good if you do get him- I don't know where you get all this confidence in the draft.

And drafted players take time to develop- what makes you think that whoever we get will be able to step in and contribute immediately, particularly if we don't go DT in round 1?

And one other thing: Marv did NOTHING with the early FA's, what makes you think the June 1 cuts will be ANY DIFFERENT? And since you do think it will be different, isn't that just your whiny opinion?Someone for got to tell you, TD is no longer with the team. Y

You might want to reserve judgement after we actually draft instead of thinking we are gonna fail in the draft. Then again, why should I expect you to. You've always been the sky is falling even before there are facts.

As for June 1 , who cares anymore. If you think Pope would've been a starter here, I don't need to talk about June 1.

I'm done OP. You can complain all you want about the DL or not signing Pope or the draft or George Bush, or the weather.

I'll blast your whiny posts every now and then. That's all they are , whines. NOt facts.

justasportsfan
03-28-2006, 03:40 PM
Oh I forgot- you said that my whiny opinion was better than Marv's moves- WHAT moves? That's the whole problem here- he's done nothing with the DL. Your whining about not signing a player who played two games who's nos are no better than what we have. No movement sometimes means movement. I don't expect you to understand that.

Pope would be a starter here :roflmao:

OpIv37
03-28-2006, 03:44 PM
Oh now, your playing the wait and see . :crazy: This is why its hard to take you seriously.

Only because you're claiming him as a success when so far he hasn't been. That's making you pretty hard to take seriously.

Someone for got to tell you, TD is no longer with the team. Y

You might want to reserve judgement after we actually draft instead of thinking we are gonna fail in the draft. Then again, why should I expect you to. You've always been the sky is falling even before there are facts.

I'm sick of waiting to see. We were supposed to wait and see on rookie coaches and unproven QB's and backup DL's and all it's gotten us is losses. Doesn't that frustrate you at all?

And there ARE facts that you're choosing to ignore.

The DL sucked last year
Nothing has been done to fix it
other teams have signed DT's.
Marv has been very inactive in the FA market (but you expect him to magically go to town on other teams' rejects after June 1).
The draft is hit-or miss.

Those ARE facts. But you'd rather have blind faith in the so-called "professionals" than face them.

OpIv37
03-28-2006, 03:46 PM
oh and as far as not Pope being a starter here- that's your OPINION- you've never seen him play- you had to go look up his stat line on the internet. So how can you say that he wouldn't be? I have a hard time believing that any team would pay anyone that's WORSE than Anderson and Sape.

OpIv37
03-28-2006, 03:48 PM
How is it that your non-professional football opinion that Pope wouldn't start in Buffalo is perfectly valid, but my non-professional football opinion that Marv's moves have been lacking and/or bad is just "whining"? that sounds pretty hypocritical to me.

justasportsfan
03-28-2006, 03:53 PM
I'm sick of waiting to see. We were supposed to wait and see on rookie coaches and unproven QB's and backup DL's and all it's gotten us is losses. Doesn't that frustrate you at all?

And there ARE facts that you're choosing to ignore.

The DL sucked last year
Nothing has been done to fix it
other teams have signed DT's.
Marv has been very inactive in the FA market (but you expect him to magically go to town on other teams' rejects after June 1).
The draft is hit-or miss.

Those ARE facts. But you'd rather have blind faith in the so-called "professionals" than face them.So what do want to happen? Even if we signed players WHO YOU WANT AND NOT WHO OUR COACHES WHO ARE PAID TO BUILD A TEAM want we'd still have to wait and see when season starts.

Do your self a favor, if you can't wait, stop watching football. Do something else because it's OFFSEASON. That's what happens during OFFSEASON. YOU WAIT AND SEE!

I'd always trust MArv or even TD over someone who thinks. "POPE Would start here" :snicker:

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 03:55 PM
Compared to Sape or Tim Anderson, Pope is Marcus Stroud.. think that's what OP was saying.

In other words, our crop of DT's are a joke, outside Tripplett is what he's gettign at. Hard to disagree

justasportsfan
03-28-2006, 03:57 PM
How is it that your non-professional football opinion that Pope wouldn't start in Buffalo is perfectly valid, but my non-professional football opinion that Marv's moves have been lacking and/or bad is just "whining"? that sounds pretty hypocritical to me.
check the nos. check what he was paid. Check what the rest of the league thought of him. Anderson was better. Do you even have his injury report? Anderson has done more in 1 yr than what Pope has done in 3 yrs.

lLike I said, my opinion means nothing compared to yours. But MArv's and the rest of the NFL does and they say he's worth even less than a backup.1 yr. VET MIN. :tongue:

Ciao.

justasportsfan
03-28-2006, 03:59 PM
Compared to Sape or Tim Anderson, Pope is Marcus Stroud.. think that's what OP was saying.

In other words, our crop of DT's are a joke, outside Tripplett is what he's gettign at. Hard to disagree Look up what he's done the last couple of years. The nos. say otherwise.

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 04:31 PM
yeah right. I've answered that already. There's June 1st and the draft HELLOOO!!!!
To be honest with you, thats a 100% horse**** statement..

The Tom Donahoe/MIke Mularkey era ended on December 31, with an embarassing loss to the lowly NY Jets...

At the completion of that game: among other things, there were THREE clear but positions on the team that were horrible and in dire need of fixing: LT, LG and DT.

It is now the end of March.. New coach, New Gm, New staff.. and the exact SAME glaring weaknesses: LT,LG, and DT.. Not a single one of them was upgraded with a PROVEN veteran, yet your going to assume that a crap-shoot draft led by a first time GM and June 1st rejects is going to fix these glaring weaknesses?

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 04:34 PM
check the nos. check what he was paid. Check what the rest of the league thought of him. Anderson was better. Do you even have his injury report? Anderson has done more in 1 yr than what Pope has done in 3 yrs.

lLike I said, my opinion means nothing compared to yours. But MArv's and the rest of the NFL does and they say he's worth even less than a backup.1 yr. VET MIN. :tongue:

Ciao.
if your basing evaluation on what players have done PRIOR to buffalo in the past, then every single FA we signed this season with the exception of Tripplett is a complete and utter bum.

justasportsfan
03-28-2006, 05:07 PM
To be honest with you, thats a 100% horse**** statement..

. NO it isn't . He's complaining that we haven't done squat with the DL and I said, the season hasn't even started yet. Next time read the enrtire thread instea dof chiming in on the post, As for the rest of your post. Not interested. You're whining too about not signing Pope. He's a bum who the league didn't care for even comapred to Anderson. . Nuff said.

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 05:52 PM
NO it isn't . He's complaining that we haven't done squat with the DL and I said, the season hasn't even started yet. Next time read the enrtire thread instea dof chiming in on the post, As for the rest of your post. Not interested. You're whining too about not signing Pope. He's a bum who the league didn't care for even comapred to Anderson. . Nuff said.
wrong.. the season started the moment after we lost in week 17 to the Jets.

I totally expect something to be done about the DL, but as of now he is 100% right and nothing has been done to make it any better than it was last year.

G. Host
03-28-2006, 06:03 PM
Jets | Contract update: M. Pope
Tue, 28 Mar 2006 08:13:25 -0800
<A href="http://www.kffl.com/link/3">Bill Williamson, of the Denver Post (http://www.kffl.com/link/184), reports DT Monsanto Pope (http://www.kffl.com/player/5685/nfl) signed a one-year, $585,000 contract that also included a $40,000 signing bonus with the New York Jets (http://www.kffl.com/team/27/nfl), according to agent Ron Del Duca.

Thats a CHEAP contract .. I cant see how how he couldn't have added good depth to our team, and we did have him in town.

From what I heard from Jets fans who are usually knowledgeable on Jets front office, It was a one year contract with clauses preventing him from being tagged and performace/time bonuses as well. He was probably looking for a line where he would be able to earn more bonus money year and get more exposure than he would with Bills for his big paycheck next year.

justasportsfan
03-28-2006, 08:24 PM
wrong.. the season started the moment after we lost in week 17 to the Jets.

I totally expect something to be done about the DL, but as of now he is 100% right and nothing has been done to make it any better than it was last year.
wrong. Overhauling of the front office started after we lost to Miami.

I never disagreed that the line isn't better but Pope isn't making the line any better either. So whining about him was nothing but a chance to whine. The guy hasn't done squat in years. There is NOTHING that states he's any better than what we already have. You don't have to agree with me, but I'd rather agree with the rest of the NFL who doesn't think he's worth squat.

There are other back up DT's in the league who suck, I wonder why their teams didn't think enough of pope to hire him to more than vet min?

Kerr
03-28-2006, 10:29 PM
I couldn't believe we missed out on pope. He could have been decent next to Trips.