PDA

View Full Version : Chat w/ Scouts Inc Todd McShay

McBFLO
03-28-2006, 01:04 PM
Erik (Bloomfield, NJ): Wouldn't Broderick Bunkley be a better fit at the type of defensive scheme the Bills plan to employ this year than Haloti Ngata?

Todd McShay: (1:15 PM ET ) You make an excellent point, Erik. Everyone (including myself) has gotten caught up in Ngata to the Bills b/c the Bills have had wide-body DT's for so many years now. Under new coach D. Jauron and def. coord. P. Fewell, the team is going to more of a one-gap defensive front look. I still think Ngata is heavily on its radar b/c he does have the quickness and size to make an impact in that scheme. However, Bunkley is not out of the question.

Todd McShay: (1:16 PM ET ) Bunkley is a more pure fit in a one-gap scheme, but he has some baggage, including some off-the-field issues that might scare a team like the Bills away from spending top-10 money on him. When it's all said and done, I think Bunkley will wind up coming off the board in the 11-15 range -- possibly even to Cleveland at 12 or Baltimore at 13.

mike: What are your thoughts on Vernon Davis? Is he the niners choice?

Todd McShay: (1:40 PM ET ) I would be shocked if Davis slips out of the top-10. He was fast-rising during the season but his record-setting combine workout put him over the edge. Davis is a freak of nature. I thinks he could go as early as sixth to the 49ers and I also am hearing that the Raiders (7), Bills (8), Lions (9) and Cardinals (10) are seriously considering taking Davis if he's still available.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=11220

McBFLO
03-28-2006, 01:06 PM
The Vernon Davis comment is interesting. Do you think we draft him if he's still there?

ICE74129
03-28-2006, 01:09 PM
We can, but as soon as he gets off of the LOS our QB is sacked. So what is the point?

McBFLO
03-28-2006, 01:11 PM
Like has been said many times though, the draft is deep on both sides of the line. We don't HAVE to use #8 on an OL.

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 01:14 PM
The Vernon Davis comment is interesting. Do you think we draft him if he's still there?

I should go upside your head for even asking that! lol

If Vernon Davis SLIPS to eight, the Buffalo Bills will have a new tight end/receiver/difference maker... and the board will be split 50/50.. and by the end of 2006 everyone on here is going to be sporting V Davis jerseys... and i hope he take Moulds' number too.

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 01:16 PM
We can, but as soon as he gets off of the LOS our QB is sacked. So what is the point?

and taking W. Justice at EIGHT as a rookie is going to be a HUGE UPGRADE in 2006 over Gandy? This OL is a 2-3 year process my friend, may as well get guys who can take a 10 yard pass and turn it into 50.

McBFLO
03-28-2006, 01:23 PM
Normally I agree with you ICE, and I do as far as our OL needing to be addressed in the draft, but we're not obligated to go OL with #8. If Marv and Co. think the only option for R1 is OL (which I'm sure isn't the case) we do one of 3 things:
1) trade up for Brick
2) trade down and take one a few spots back, or
3) reach for a player at #8 that would've been there later in the first

dplus47
03-28-2006, 03:02 PM

i brought this up in another thread, but it's valid: look at the year randy mcmichael had in '04 with AJ feeley at QB. not a great year, but he was the only person feeley could find out there on a consistent basis. the dolphins' line that year was a DISASTER. sometimes, having a good tight end is just what a struggling young QB needs.

for feeley, it wasn't enough, but you have to think that the '06 bills are going to have a better running game than miami's '04 attack with travis minor and sammy morris carrying the load. and you guys have to hope that whoever QB's is better than feeley...

here's a link to the stats:

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/302087

dplus47
03-28-2006, 03:13 PM
i make this TE argument because you can't just draft based on position. i wish the bills would be that shortsighted, but they won't be. if there is no lineman they like at #8, they can't just take one to take one. if there is no trade down partner, you have to take a player who is worth it at #8. otherwise, you overpay for somebody who may not end up being worth it, and that can have long term repercussions for the team.

ICE74129
03-28-2006, 03:16 PM
Normally I agree with you ICE, and I do as far as our OL needing to be addressed in the draft, but we're not obligated to go OL with #8. If Marv and Co. think the only option for R1 is OL (which I'm sure isn't the case) we do one of 3 things:
1) trade up for Brick
2) trade down and take one a few spots back, or
3) reach for a player at #8 that would've been there later in the first

I agree with the man that has a team that is always in the running...Bill Cowher. When you have a chance to address a NEED and you can get the top 1-2 guys coming out of the draft at a position of NEED then you take him. Bunkley and or Ngata will be there at #8.

Address OL with #8 in the 2nd and #4 and #8 in the 3rd

Saratoga Slim
03-28-2006, 03:24 PM
unless Brick is for some reason available, does anybody here really think we should spend #8 on the OL? not me. If we go the 'need' route, it's gotta be Ngata/Bunkley, and if we go talent, gotta be Huff/Davis/Hawk.

from where I sit, Huff would probably be the best combination of talent and need, but God it'd be tough to pass on Hawk or Davis.

I'd still rather trade down.

ICE74129
03-28-2006, 03:26 PM
unless Brick is for some reason available, does anybody here really think we should spend #8 on the OL? not me. If we go the 'need' route, it's gotta be Ngata/Bunkley, and if we go talent, gotta be Huff/Davis/Hawk.

from where I sit, Huff would probably be the best combination of talent and need, but God it'd be tough to pass on Hawk or Davis.

I'd still rather trade down.

Just say no to TE and Safety. WE HAVE THEM! We have our starters in place. Address NEEDS. Sometimes you just gotta make the damn pick. Take DT and move on.

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 03:27 PM
I agree with the man that has a team that is always in the running...Bill Cowher. When you have a chance to address a NEED and you can get the top 1-2 guys coming out of the draft at a position of NEED then you take him. Bunkley and or Ngata will be there at #8.

Address OL with #8 in the 2nd and #4 and #8 in the 3rd
You want to start two or three ROOKIES on the offensive line? YOur "boy" cowher never did that.. you trying to get JP's neck broke?

Mr. Cynical
03-28-2006, 04:02 PM
No Oline, no win. It's that simple.

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 04:06 PM
No Oline, no win. It's that simple.

yes I agree with you.
And NO OLINE combined with raw rookie linemen = Your QB better have some good medical insurance because he'll get murdered. I been whinin all along for some vets to put in this line, this is why.

Mr. Cynical
03-28-2006, 04:19 PM
Trade up and get Brick then let the rest of the chips fall where they may. You build franchises on the LT position - Pace, Boselli (RT for lefty Brunell), Webb - we need a star to lock down that position at all costs IMHO. And Peters/Gandy ain't it.

ParanoidAndroid
03-28-2006, 04:43 PM
I think if Brick is gone when we pick, which is likely, then we look to DT. However, all the info on Ngata and Bunkley has been questionable as to their worth at #8. I don't think we should limit our pick to a need position if we can get a stud to upgrade another to pro-bowl level. Davis could be an option, Huff, Jimmy Williams, AJ Hawk, are all possibilities especially if the 3 QB's are gone.
My hope is that if Brick is gone, only 2 of the three QB's will be as well and we get a trade down with a team who covets the remaining QB. That way, we could get an extra pick meaning we have more leeway as to what position we draft with our 1st.

Mr. Cynical
03-28-2006, 05:10 PM
I agree - if we can't trade up for Brick, I would trade down for more picks. IMO, we don't need to blow a #8 on a skill position though. We have lots of #1s already there (JP, Willis, Evans) so I think if they can't get Brick, they should trade down and stock up.

SquishDaFish
03-28-2006, 06:36 PM
The only way we should take OL at 8 is BRICk and only BRICK if hes not there then either best player avail or trade down. If Davis is there we HAVE to take him as quick as we would Mario Williams in my opinion

Tatonka
03-28-2006, 07:06 PM

dude.. you act like we HAVE to force an OLINE pick in the 8th spot.. that is so short sited.. teams dont draft like that.

brick is gone.. assuming this much.. there is NO LINEMAN in the entire draft that deserves to be taken at the 8th spot... lets also assume that no one blows them away w/ a trade down offer.

what do you expect them to do?

force a pick of justice, who has major character issues, and they may not like? that is real smart..

force a Ngata pick, who may not be the right guy for this scheme? you are the one who is all about the "pick the right role player" tactic that the bills have been using?

force a bunkley pick, who was considered a low first round guy if that, until he showed up looking like a body builder at the combine? a guy who also has some bagage and may not be a "marv" guy?

so you say to force the pick, or to take the best available player, who davis may very well be?

i really would like to know what you think is the right answer?

Tatonka
03-28-2006, 07:07 PM
I should go upside your head for even asking that! lol

If Vernon Davis SLIPS to eight, the Buffalo Bills will have a new tight end/receiver/difference maker... and the board will be split 50/50.. and by the end of 2006 everyone on here is going to be sporting V Davis jerseys... and i hope he take Moulds' number too.

i would LOVE for him to take moulds number.. then i can just get a name plate for my moulds jersey!

Tatonka
03-28-2006, 07:20 PM
Just say no to TE and Safety. WE HAVE THEM! We have our starters in place. Address NEEDS. Sometimes you just gotta make the damn pick. Take DT and move on.

your ****ing crazy if you think we have long term solutions at TE and Safety right now.

MAYBE everett can possibly be, but having two stud TEs doesnt hurt

and coy wire and bowens.. starters?

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 09:08 PM
In the words of my man, Ric Flair.

"Whether you like it.. Or whether you dont like it.. Learn to love it.. Because its the best thing going.. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

If Vernon Davis happens to be on the board at Number eight, you may as well get some tape and put it over your Moulds Jersey, take a black marker and write "Davis" in there because he WILL be a Buffalo Bill.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO