PDA

View Full Version : Can Davis be converted to a wr?

justasportsfan
03-28-2006, 01:14 PM
Matt Jones wasn't too shabby last year. How would you compare the two?

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 01:20 PM
no.......... He'll be just like Antonio Gates.. He will line up next to tackle and in the slot, forcing defenses to either be stupid enough to put a linebacker on them or having a safety cover him all over the field.......... That opens up a lot more chances for a guy like EVans or Andre Davis to get deep...

To me, its not just the numbers that Vernon Davis can put up. .Its what he can do for the other 10 guys around him that make him a no-brainer.

Fairchild is creative enough to use Davis in many different ways AND make Everett still useful to this team..

HELL look at the Patriots, they've used THREE TE's to perfection the past few years (til the 3rd stringer just signed with WASH)

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 01:20 PM
To answer your question. I THINK Jones is faster.. But he doesnt have the hands, route running or certainly the strength that Davis does.

McBFLO
03-28-2006, 01:26 PM
no.......... He'll be just like Antonio Gates.. He will line up next to tackle and in the slot, forcing defenses to either be stupid enough to put a linebacker on them or having a safety cover him all over the field.......... That opens up a lot more chances for a guy like EVans or Andre Davis to get deep...

To me, its not just the numbers that Vernon Davis can put up. .Its what he can do for the other 10 guys around him that make him a no-brainer.

Fairchild is creative enough to use Davis in many different ways AND make Everett still useful to this team..

HELL look at the Patriots, they've used THREE TE's to perfection the past few years (til the 3rd stringer just signed with WASH)
you're really starting to convince me that this is the way to go with our #8, if he somehow falls that far.

OpIv37
even if he could, why would that matter for us? Even if we lose Moulds we still have 8 WR's- Evans, Parrish, Davis, Reed, Aiken, J Smith, G Wilson and I think there's one I forgot.

justasportsfan
Evans
Royal
Everett
Reed
Davis
Parrish

Na, I think we're done. Hard to See Marv. Bring Davis in unless someone is willing to make a trade.

justasportsfan
03-28-2006, 01:30 PM
even if he could, why would that matter for us? Even if we lose Moulds we still have 8 WR's- Evans, Parrish, Davis, Reed, Aiken, J Smith, G Wilson and I think there's one I forgot. What's frustrating is that MM didn't even bother trying to put in Wilson and GAtes. Now we don't even know iof they can cut it.

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 01:32 PM
I dont think Davis is lasting til 8.

Nolan is going to take him at 6 at San Fran. He's got it right.. He'll make Alex Smith better, their huge investment. I HOPE that they get Ngata and beef up their DL. But it would a huge mistake on their part.

I'd feel A LOT better about JP if he had a REAL TE to throw to 10-12 times per game, such as Shockey/Eli......Gonzalez/Green.........Gates/Brees.

Mr. Pink
03-28-2006, 01:37 PM
Quick Question....Why would you want to waste Davis' talents by taking him out of being a TE? Spread him out wide and instead of a LB or S trying to cover him, you're putting a corner on him. Doesn't make much sense to me. You would limit his effectiveness in the offense.

justasportsfan
03-28-2006, 01:38 PM
With all the speedsters on this team, it'll be like the movie "3 Amigos" where all those mexicans were running left and right and no one knew who to shoot.

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 01:41 PM
Quick Question....Why would you want to waste Davis' talents by taking him out of being a TE? Spread him out wide and instead of a LB or S trying to cover him, you're putting a corner on him. Doesn't make much sense to me. You would limit his effectiveness in the offense.

Exactly.. what makes him so special is his size and hands to go with his WR speed. As a WR, he'd be just another good WR, as would Gates.

What makes him so unique is how big he is and you cant put a LB on him unless you plan on getting your ass handed to you all day.

justasportsfan
03-28-2006, 01:42 PM
Quick Question....Why would you want to waste Davis' talents by taking him out of being a TE? Spread him out wide and instead of a LB or S trying to cover him, you're putting a corner on him. Doesn't make much sense to me. You would limit his effectiveness in the offense.It was just a thought especially if Everett turns out to live up to his expectation.

Davis and Evans in the outside, Parrish/Reed and Everett up the middle while having to worry about Willis.

I doubt it's the greatest scenario for Davis but since Matt Jones is slowly making a good transition to a wr, just thought Davis shouldn't have a problem.

Thats looks nice if we had an OL of course.

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 01:48 PM
It was just a thought especially if Everett turns out to live up to his expectation.

Davis and Evans in the outside, Parrish/Reed and Everett up the middle while having to worry about Willis.

I doubt it's the greatest scenario for Davis but since Matt Jones is slowly making a good transition to a wr, just thought Davis shouldn't have a problem.

Thats looks nice if we had an OL of course.

Nothing against Everett, he does have some potential.. But he wasnt picked until the middle of the third round, and hes' been injured and has yet to play a game.. He didnt have a big contract or signing bonus so I doubt Marv's too concerned about him. He can be a decent TE with good hands dont get me wrong...But there's a lot of Kevin Everett's in the NFL.. He's not going to make you alter your entire defensive game plan... Plus the fact he was a TD draft pick already makes it strike one in my book, as Parrish has taken less than a year to show he will NEVER be a real starting WR in this league.

Like I said earlier.. THis could be a NE type of setup.. They utilize Graham and Watson a lot in their passing game, and also had Chris Fauria (I know wrong spelling but Im too lazy to look it up).. none of them can hold Davis' jock... For a young QB, its a lot quicker and easier to find a TE 5-10 yards down the field than it is a WR 15-20, especially when Lee Evans is going to have half the team covering him with Josh Reed as our other starter.

dplus47
03-28-2006, 01:54 PM
NFor a young QB, its a lot quicker and easier to find a TE 5-10 yards down the field than it is a WR 15-20, especially when Lee Evans is going to have half the team covering him with Josh Reed as our other starter.

for a bit of comic relief:

when miami was busy going 4-12, and AJ feeley was stinking up the place, the only target he could find consistently was the TE. it's like having a big safety valve in the middle of the field when all else fails or you have no time to look anywhere else.

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 02:07 PM
for a bit of comic relief:

when miami was busy going 4-12, and AJ feeley was stinking up the place, the only target he could find consistently was the TE. it's like having a big safety valve in the middle of the field when all else fails or you have no time to look anywhere else.
True. I'm also hoping that JP Losman is better than AJ Feeley, that remains to be seen.

L.A. Playa
03-28-2006, 02:12 PM
if they drafted Davis they could play a 2 WR 2 TE set ala the Redskins with Davis or Everett coming out of the backfield as an H Back like Chris Cooley and Royal playing the same role he played in Wash

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 02:14 PM
They can do a million things with a TE as talented as Davis.

ICE74129
03-28-2006, 02:23 PM
And drafting a TE Addresses DE, LDE, LG and LT how? it doesn't. Here we are going back to the same SH@! that got us where we are now.

Spend the first 4 picks minimum on the OL And DL.

Saratoga Slim
03-28-2006, 02:28 PM
With all the speedsters on this team, it'll be like the movie "3 Amigos" where all those mexicans were running left and right and no one knew who to shoot.

good one. first post I've laughed at all day

Mr. Cynical
03-28-2006, 05:18 PM
And drafting a TE Addresses DE, LDE, LG and LT how? it doesn't. Here we are going back to the same SH@! that got us where we are now.

Agreed. Would love to have a Davis because it would really help JP, but we don't have the luxury of drafting yet_another_skill_position. Our lines totally, completely, utterly, positively, without a doubt suck the cheese from the toes of a sloth.

John Doe
03-28-2006, 05:39 PM
Nothing against Everett, he does have some potential.. But he wasnt picked until the middle of the third round, and hes' been injured and has yet to play a game.. He didnt have a big contract or signing bonus so I doubt Marv's too concerned about him. He can be a decent TE with good hands dont get me wrong...But there's a lot of Kevin Everett's in the NFL.. He's not going to make you alter your entire defensive game plan... Plus the fact he was a TD draft pick already makes it strike one in my book, as Parrish has taken less than a year to show he will NEVER be a real starting WR in this league.

I don’t care where a player was drafted or who he was drafted by. That has nothing to do with how good the player can become.

There is no guarantee that Davis will set the world on fire or that Everett will be a mediocre player. Neither has played a down in the NFL.

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 05:48 PM
That's a good point.....

Frankly, There's no guarentee that Brick wont be another Mike Williams, or Jay Cutler another Ryan Leaf either..

Its an educated guess that Vernon Davis will be one of the top offensive players in the league.

John Doe
03-28-2006, 06:00 PM
That's a good point.....

Frankly, There's no guarentee that Brick wont be another Mike Williams, or Jay Cutler another Ryan Leaf either..

Its an educated guess that Vernon Davis will be one of the top offensive players in the league.

I agree. It’s and educated guess that Brick will be one of the top linemen in the league and that Everett and Royal will make a great tight end tandem.

It comes down to need. We have enough tight ends that we hope will pan out. We need more linemen.

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 06:14 PM
WE do.. but find me a linemen at 8 outside Brick that's worth it?

Tatonka
03-28-2006, 06:24 PM
To answer your question. I THINK Jones is faster.. But he doesnt have the hands, route running or certainly the strength that Davis does.

jones is not faster with pads on... imho.

Tatonka
03-28-2006, 06:26 PM

great post.. i agree with everything you said.. except one thing..

davis could be used as a wr.. to me.. he is the equivelent of david boston.. size, speed combo.. his hands are every bit as good.. and his route running is more polished than bostons was coming out.

i think that davis can pretty much line up at any position that catches the ball, TE, H-back, and WR depending on what your trying to do.

i think of all the guys that i want in the draft.. i would cheer the loudest if he was drafted.

Tatonka
03-28-2006, 06:28 PM
Evans
Royal
Everett
Reed
Davis
Parrish

Na, I think we're done. Hard to See Marv. Bring Davis in unless someone is willing to make a trade.

we have kept 3 TEs on the roster every year.. they have no attachment to euhus.. they could clip his ass for all i care.

Tatonka
03-28-2006, 06:32 PM

i can tell you for a fact that they wont spend the first 4 picks on the lines.. not a chance...

i would be happy as hell to see them take davis, then spend the next three picks on OL and DL.. i just dont think we spend 4 consecutive picks on O and D lines.

Bert102176
03-28-2006, 09:21 PM
in any draft their is no garauntee of what any player will do, you only hope they will turn out as good as you hope they will ala Laurence Phillips, Mike Williams, Ryan Leaf and others so I just hope who ever we get turns out to be good.

Kerr
03-28-2006, 10:23 PM
I wouldn't mind Davis at all.

vicmantak
03-29-2006, 03:55 AM
If Vernon Davis is still available and Bills let the best TE prospect in decades go... at least I cannot see anything exciting in this pathetic offense...

Saratoga Slim
03-29-2006, 08:16 AM
he is the equivelent of david boston.. size, speed combo.. his hands are every bit as good.. and his route running is more polished than bostons was coming out.

.....and his character is a hell of a lot more polished than Boston's. I saw an interview with him around combine time and he came across as a class act.

patmoran2006
03-29-2006, 09:05 AM
Vernon Davis is one of the 3-4 best players in this entire draft.. there's not a team in the NFL he couldnt' fit right into.

I cant remember the last time a TE was rated higher than any WR