PDA

View Full Version : Very good interview with TE Robert Royal....

Michael82
03-28-2006, 02:27 PM
Royal spoke with PFW and discussed what impressed him about the Bills, his goal of becoming a more complete tight end and bonding with his new teammates.

PFW: Tell me about how you came to Buffalo this offseason. Were you intent on hitting the open market?
Royal: When everything was going on with the CBA and all that stuff, I pretty much came to the conclusion that I wanted to test the market and see what everybody was saying, and Buffalo was one of the teams that showed a lot of interest in me. So, once I came on a visit and saw the way the coaching staff and everybody treated me with open arms, and the style the offense they’re running, I definitely wanted to be a part of it. I just thought it would be a great fit for me.

PFW: Was the financial part of it the main part? Tell me what appealed to you most about the Bills.
Royal: At the time, I didn’t know anything about the financial part, it was one of those things that happened during the course of the visit. Just the opportunity of going somewhere else, getting a fresh start, being somewhere you’re definitely wanted. Of course, I was wanted in Washington, but obviously I came here with a couple of coaches I knew from LSU, and just coming here and seeing the whole offensive scheme and the way they wanted to put me in the scheme, I thought it would be a great fit for me. You know, the financial part, it definitely helps at the same token, but I just want to get to the point where I can be one of the elite tight ends in the league and just get myself out there, and I think this will be a great place to get that opportunity.

PFW: Obviously, there was a glut of tight ends in Washington with a lot of players competing for playing time. Will Buffalo give you an opportunity to see the field more?
Royal: The thing about it was, just the offensive scheme, the way things were set up, didn’t quite give me a chance to use my full potential. Obviously, they’ve got great coaches down there; I think it’s going to be a heckuva offense. Just the overall package of what I’ve seen here, I think will be great.

PFW: So, Washington had more specific roles for each of the tight ends?
Royal: Exactly. Chris Cooley (http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+East/Buffalo/Features/2006/royalqa032806.htm#) was mainly the receiving tight end in the offense, and I was the guy that slugged people and beat them up a little. You know, in this offense I think they’ll give me the opportunity to do both.

PFW: What kind of expanded role have the Buffalo coaches talked to you about?
Royal: I think it’s similar in some instances. Of course, football can’t change much; it just depends on which way you intend on going with it. I think we’ll use a lot of two tight ends and sometimes three. It’s just a great mix of things. I think it’ll be a great fit for me.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+East/Buffalo/Features/2006/royalqa032806.htm

Michael82
03-28-2006, 02:34 PM
PFW: So, Washington had more specific roles for each of the tight ends?
Royal: Exactly. Chris Cooley (http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+East/Buffalo/Features/2006/royalqa032806.htm#) was mainly the receiving tight end in the offense, and I was the guy that slugged people and beat them up a little. You know, in this offense I think they’ll give me the opportunity to do both.

BTW, this is exactly what many people were saying about Royal. He was used strictly as their blocking TE, because they had Cooley. I think he's going to be a very solid pickup. :up:

Saratoga Slim
03-28-2006, 02:40 PM
I'm optimistic. I like a guy who can block. paycheck was big, but not really exhorbitant.

ICE74129
03-28-2006, 02:50 PM
BTW, this is exactly what many people were saying about Royal. He was used strictly as their blocking TE, because they had Cooley. I think he's going to be a very solid pickup. :up:

Hey hey hey! The guy sucks! he is over paid, over rated and a waste of Free agency time! The guy is JUST a blocking TE, can't obviously get open and cant catch. dont you read this board damn it!

(Sarcasm off)

Michael82
03-28-2006, 02:56 PM
Hey hey hey! The guy sucks! he is over paid, over rated and a waste of Free agency time! The guy is JUST a blocking TE, can't obviously get open and cant catch. dont you read this board damn it!

(Sarcasm off)
don't start that stuff ICE. We don't need to keep bringing up people's comments. Let it go. :club:

ICE74129
03-28-2006, 02:58 PM
don't start that stuff ICE. We don't need to keep bringing up people's comments. Let it go. :club:

Just repeating what I hear on every thread, every post from certain people on every thread...

Can't blame me for repeating what has been shoved down our throats now can ya?

Michael82
03-28-2006, 03:01 PM
Just repeating what I hear on every thread, every post from certain people on every thread...

Can't blame me for repeating what has been shoved down our throats now can ya?
yeah i can. please cut it out. that's only meant to incite the posters. It's not needed. We don't need to fan the flames. Just bite your tongue.

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 03:03 PM

(Sarcasm off)
Do you EVER have an opinion that is your OWN? EVER? One that you won't change next week?
(Sarcasm off)

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 03:04 PM
I have not heard too many negative threads and comments about Robert Royal, btw.

gil
03-28-2006, 03:16 PM
I do like the idea of them using more 2 and 3 tight end sets (obviously more on short yardage situtations) - it didn't seem we have been utilizing some of those heavy packages in recent years when we could have really used them.

ICE74129
03-28-2006, 03:18 PM
Royal and Evertt in a 2 TE set with a revamped Ol...that will work. Either way you can tell, Fairchild is going to go single back most of the time. I feel that helps willis greatly.

G. Host
03-28-2006, 03:21 PM
Did we actually have three healthy TEs at any point this year? TE seemed to be an abbreviation for Injured Reserve and Walking Wounded this year.

Mr. Pink
03-28-2006, 03:21 PM
Royal and Evertt in a 2 TE set with a revamped Ol...that will work. Either way you can tell, Fairchild is going to go single back most of the time. I feel that helps willis greatly.

So eliminating the purpose of one of the best blocking fullbacks in the game, and that's pretty much his only purpose. How does this help McGahee? Explain please....thank you.

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 03:23 PM

What revamped OL are you talking about? Are you referring to the draft? How many 1st round draft picks do you think we have? it's going to take 2-3 years for Buffalo to have a good OL, if the rookie(s) we take pan out.

We had a chance to revamp the OL over the last two weeks and didnt. That's fine.. YOung and develop is Marv's way to go; props to him.. But I wouldnt be suggesting this line is "revamped"

ICE74129
03-28-2006, 03:24 PM
So eliminating the purpose of one of the best blocking fullbacks in the game, and that's pretty much his only purpose. How does this help McGahee? Explain please....thank you.

Willis is a one cut and go back. FB's get in the way. look at fairchild in St. Louis. YES they ran the ball more....from 3 wide sets.

We will be a single back team most of the time. I love it! it makes us much harder to defend.

Mr. Pink
03-28-2006, 03:33 PM
So then why do we still have Damien Shelton if this is the case? Isn't he just wasting space, roster wise and cap wise?

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 03:36 PM
Dont bother.. Just hope we draft Vince Young.

ICE74129
03-28-2006, 03:38 PM
So then why do we still have Damien Shelton if this is the case? Isn't he just wasting space, roster wise and cap wise?

The Bills of the 90's still carried a FB for short yardage and goal line situations. We didn't use him much now did we? 1 back sets are the way to go.

ParanoidAndroid
03-28-2006, 04:56 PM
Everyone should remember Carwell Gardner...even though he didn't see alot of playing time.
The only way the one-back set is going to work is if teams respect the passing game.
Our receiving corps withot Moulds isn't exactly scary, our o-line isn't exactly solid, our QB's aren't anything special (yet) and Willis isn't the best at blocking in the backfield.
Hmmm... :idunno:

patmoran2006
03-28-2006, 04:59 PM
Everyone should remember Carwell Gardner...even though he didn't see alot of playing time.
The only way the one-back set is going to work is if teams respect the passing game.
Our receiving corps withot Moulds isn't exactly scary, our o-line isn't exactly solid, our QB's aren't anything special (yet) and Willis isn't the best at blocking in the backfield.
Hmmm... :idunno:

Well done my friend.

You dont leave a quarterback trying to pass in an even EMPTIER backfield with this line.... If anything, expect a lot of max protection pass plays.

mikemac2001
03-28-2006, 06:26 PM
i think we should go shotty 5 wide all game no huddle

Earthquake Enyart
03-29-2006, 07:17 AM
It's been a long time sonce we've had a TE who could block.

Except Jason Peters. Nuff said.

Michael82
03-29-2006, 12:17 PM
It's been a long time sonce we've had a TE who could block.

Except Jason Peters. Nuff said.
And look how Willis did when Jason Peters was actually in as blocking TE. It's not a coincidence that the run game struggled once he was moved to OT and we lost his extra run blocking.

Tatonka
03-29-2006, 12:29 PM
royal is gonna be mad when everett catches all the passes and all he does is block.