PDA

View Full Version : Question about supplemental draft?

Mr. Pink
03-28-2006, 04:27 PM
Not exactly sure how this one works so some input would be nice, I do know that the regular draft comes first and we're all pysched on that but interesting developments out of Virginia. Ahmad Brooks was dismissed from the football program and school thereby making him eligible for either a lower college to play next year or entering the NFL Supplemental Draft. If he were to enter the supplemental draft I say we took a look. Although like I said I'm not exactly sure how the supplemental draft works and what it would cost us. He's a high motor guy who flies around the ball and seeing I've seen Hawk as a potential pick, taking this guy in the supplemental draft would be a wise choice and welcomed by most on the board.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2387598

dplus47
03-28-2006, 04:45 PM
Not exactly sure how this one works so some input would be nice, I do know that the regular draft comes first and we're all pysched on that but interesting developments out of Virginia. Ahmad Brooks was dismissed from the football program and school thereby making him eligible for either a lower college to play next year or entering the NFL Supplemental Draft. If he were to enter the supplemental draft I say we took a look. Although like I said I'm not exactly sure how the supplemental draft works and what it would cost us. He's a high motor guy who flies around the ball and seeing I've seen Hawk as a potential pick, taking this guy in the supplemental draft would be a wise choice and welcomed by most on the board.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2387598

the supplemental draft is like a silent auction. teams "bid" on a player at a certain round level, and if they "win" the player, they forfeit that corresponding pick in the next year's draft. i believe the order of priority for the bids goes by this year's draft order, so buffalo's 2nd round bid would be higher than cincinnati's, for example.

LtFinFan66
03-28-2006, 04:48 PM
Perfect example. Miami got DT Manuel Wright from USC in last years Supp. Draft. They lose their 5th round pick come April 29th

dplus47
03-28-2006, 04:50 PM
Perfect example. Miami got DT Manuel Wright from USC in last years Supp. Draft. They lose their 5th round pick come April 29th

good one. in the days before the supplemental draft last year, people were talking like wright would command as high as a 2nd. i'm so glad saban isn't wannspiel...

Captain gameboy
03-28-2006, 05:03 PM
Ahmad Brooks is a fool, but a potentially all pro linebacker for years.

Extremely heavily recruited out of HS. A Butkus runner up as a sophmore.

Named to virtually every all American team this past preseason.

Universally regarded as a top ten pick.

Believe it or not, during the same season that he was Butkus runner up, was also returning kickoffs. An all American linebacker who can return kickoffs.
That's the kind of talent he has.

But. His junior year was horrible. Started out slowly as he was unable to play because of off season, non football related knee issues.
Then hurt his back and didn't finish.
I saw him in every game he played at home, and he wasn't anywhere near normal.

Absent the health issues, there is no doubt he would have come out this year.
I expect he has failed to satisfy academic requirements. The UVA program is unforgiving about off field issues.

I think he believes it is time to cash in, regardless of how much money this past year cost him.
I would draft him in a heartbeat.

DraftBoy
03-28-2006, 06:34 PM
Id bid a 3rd or 2nd rounder on this kid, he will be an amazing pickup. He will go in the Supplemental Draft, Id love to see Buffalo take him!

Mski
03-28-2006, 06:39 PM
Assuming that hawk isnt around at 8 and the bills dont take him (not saying we would if he is) we do need someone to take over the reigns from fletcher sometime soon good pick prolly worth a 3rd possibly streching to 2nd

DraftBoy
03-28-2006, 06:44 PM
well its gonna depend alot on his workouts for teams

LtFinFan66
03-28-2006, 06:50 PM
A lot depends on him actually declaring for the Supp. draft as well

Bulldog
03-28-2006, 06:55 PM
A lot depends on him actually declaring for the Supp. draft as well

At this point, why wouldn't he?

LtFinFan66
03-28-2006, 08:06 PM
Oh, I agree completely but he hasn't officially. Why would he want to go play division II and be forgotten!

Captain gameboy
03-28-2006, 09:04 PM
Mark my words.

Ahmad Brooks is Cornelius Bennett with an attitude.

Bennett, in my mind, was more about career earnings than winning, though I liked him a lot.

If he is healthy, and any resonable person should question that after his junior year, he is an unbelievable talent.
I have followed him since he was recruited here out of high school. I honestly think he could have been a second rounder after his freshman year, if that was legal.

My view is that he gets drafted and gets a decent contract, significantly discounted because of his past year, then breaks the bank in year three/four.
I think his physical problems will vanish the second he signs.

You will never see me get this interested in a college player, though I was the first, I believe, to scream about Brick, way back when he wasn't considered a top 15 pick.
This one is different. I think he has been disengenuous towards an extremely honest program, UVA, but so be it.

He has all pro written all over him, and he knows it.

Mr. Pink
03-28-2006, 10:56 PM
When I first saw the article with him being dismissed I was like whoa....this is a guy with IMMENSE talent and upside. Not too mention a guy who like you've said gameboy has legitimate pro-bowl skill when healthy. I dug a little deeper on why he was dismissed from the team seeing the article I posted didn't specify why, found out it was failing a drug test.

Now, the consensus opinion 'round these parts is "character" guys....obviously failing a drug test shows a persons "character." And with losing his junior year with injury problems mainly, you'd think mentally he'd want to do no wrong to prove that he is back 100% from his injury. Which does make me question his desire and maturity a tad.

That all being there if this guy is to cost say our third pick next year to get him in the supplemental draft if he does come out, he still could go to a division II or III school to try and prove his worth and be a top pick next year.

I think we should SERIOUSLY go out and get this guy, his base salary and signing bonus won't be that large and he'll be mainly an incentive based guy. Which if he makes the incentives, who cares, that means he has his head on straight and is back to playing at the level he was at before injury.
Especially if we could get him at the cost of a 3rd round pick, this guy without injury would be easily the 1st LB taken in this draft, not taking anything away from Hawk.

oldno711
03-29-2006, 08:01 AM
Mark my words.

Ahmad Brooks is Cornelius Bennett with an attitude.

Bennett, in my mind, was more about career earnings than winning, though I liked him a lot.

If he is healthy, and any resonable person should question that after his junior year, he is an unbelievable talent.
I have followed him since he was recruited here out of high school. I honestly think he could have been a second rounder after his freshman year, if that was legal.

My view is that he gets drafted and gets a decent contract, significantly discounted because of his past year, then breaks the bank in year three/four.
I think his physical problems will vanish the second he signs.

You will never see me get this interested in a college player, though I was the first, I believe, to scream about Brick, way back when he wasn't considered a top 15 pick.
This one is different. I think he has been disengenuous towards an extremely honest program, UVA, but so be it.

He has all pro written all over him, and he knows it.

He will be sweet. I'm definitely sad to see him off the team.

Before he ballooned up to 280, he was 6'4" 245 and running a 4.45 40. The guy is sick. He disrupts the play on EVERY down and single-handily won us games at UVA. He was a nightmare on kick returns (although everyone would hold their breath when he went charging up the field. I would EASILY spend a 3rd on that guy given his potential...assuming he stops smoking out and stuffing his face with cheeseburgers.

eyedog
03-29-2006, 08:07 AM
To get him in the sup. they will have to use their 2nd rd. pick. He won't last to the 3rd. And I think they should definitely offer up next years 2nd to get him. That's of course if his injuries check out alright. He would be the perfect replacement for fletcher.

oldno711
03-29-2006, 08:40 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/6452668

Here's a link regarding the supplemental draft