PDA

View Full Version : Why draft picks for Moulds?

Barrett
03-28-2006, 07:22 PM
We have more draft picks this year than any year since '02, including 2 3rd rounders. Why is the only thing I hear about Mould's pending trade involve trading for a 3rd or 4th round draft pick when we have so many needs in our o-line and at d-tackle? It seems to me that Moulds must be worth a decent lineman, even if it's a veteran and only a temporary solution. I feel like we'd have a better chance of filling that need in a trade than with a 4th round draft pick. Why is this not being considered? Maybe Moulds isn't as valuable as I think.

Hoping for lots of answers here...

capitolneal
03-28-2006, 08:33 PM
player for player swaps in the nfl are very rare

ICE74129
03-28-2006, 08:59 PM
We have more draft picks this year than any year since '02, including 2 3rd rounders. Why is the only thing I hear about Mould's pending trade involve trading for a 3rd or 4th round draft pick when we have so many needs in our o-line and at d-tackle? It seems to me that Moulds must be worth a decent lineman, even if it's a veteran and only a temporary solution. I feel like we'd have a better chance of filling that need in a trade than with a 4th round draft pick. Why is this not being considered? Maybe Moulds isn't as valuable as I think.

Hoping for lots of answers here...

No one trades good linemen.

OpIv37
03-28-2006, 09:32 PM
I think it has to do with team needs. We'd need to find a team that

A. Wants Moulds
B. Has a DL or OL to spare
C. We have to want that DL or OL
D. The player's value would have to be approximately equal to Moulds' value, or one of the teams would have to cough up additional compensation.

That's why player for player trades are rare- it's difficult to find two teams whose needs align so well. With a draft pick, one team gets an option on how to use it so the needs of the two teams don't have to align quite as well for a trade to be mutually beneficial.

ICE74129
03-28-2006, 09:42 PM
I think it has to do with team needs. We'd need to find a team that

A. Wants Moulds
B. Has a DL or OL to spare
C. We have to want that DL or OL
D. The player's value would have to be approximately equal to Moulds' value, or one of the teams would have to cough up additional compensation.

That's why player for player trades are rare- it's difficult to find two teams whose needs align so well. With a draft pick, one team gets an option on how to use it so the needs of the two teams don't have to align quite as well for a trade to be mutually beneficial.

Agreed. And if you look at a team like Carolina, they now have 3 really good DT's. Jenkins getting knocked out of action the last 2 years with injuries AND Wanting to rotate in fresh players, leads teams to want better depth these days.

I just hope it is the Texans 4th round pick or philly's 3rd.

Mr. Miyagi
03-28-2006, 11:15 PM
Moulds' probably destination is Houston. No thanks on their O-linemen.

SABURZFAN
03-29-2006, 04:08 AM
you can never have too many draft picks.extra draft picks are nice to have if you want to move up in the draft.