PDA

View Full Version : Hamister loses exclusive rights to purchase Sabres

BillC
02-03-2003, 12:51 PM
Monday, February 3

http://espn.go.com/nhl/news/2003/0203/1503332.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

Mark Hamister's bid to buy the financially troubled Buffalo franchise fell through after his failure to meet Monday's NHL-set deadline, The Sports Network of Canada reported on its Web site.

Now, the forum is open for anyone to submit a bid for the team.

According to the report, the NHL will make a formal announcement later on Monday.

Hamister and majority partner Todd Berman will still be free to continue pursuing the Sabres. Rochester billionaire and failed gubernatorial candidate B. Thomas Golisano has continued to express interest in purchasing the Sabres, even though his initial bid was rejected by the NHL last November.

Hormoz Mansouri, a member of Golisano's ownership group, said Golisano is prepared to jump back into the running on Tuesday morning.

shelby
02-03-2003, 01:03 PM
:doh:

sumott
02-03-2003, 01:09 PM
Thanks go to his majesty, king Joel I, for his part in this deal to help save the Sabres. I hope that everybody remembers this as well as, how much your property taxes went down when he runs for re-coronation....

Ebenezer
02-03-2003, 01:38 PM
What does Giambra have to do with it?? Trust me he won more points by not rolling over for his buddy Hamister than he would have if he would have given him the sky...people in this area do not want to foot the bill...and my guess is they will probably lose the team over it.

Buffarama
02-03-2003, 01:52 PM
Buffalo is so stupid.

Ð
02-03-2003, 02:30 PM
I'd call them smart. They understand the disconnect between paying these clowns multi-million dollar salaries and then begging for public funding because they're "broke."

Earthquake Enyart
02-03-2003, 03:13 PM
They are real smart sitting there paying for an empty arena.

Maybe Hamilton and Buffalo can start a new league.

JefftheBillsfan
02-03-2003, 04:44 PM
remember when darcy said back in ooo..may?...that selling the team was a matter of weeks rather than months?...hmm...

BironsGirl43
02-03-2003, 06:12 PM
I'm just really mad at the whole situation and everyone involved.. now I know Hamister tried his best and all.. for which I am grateful.. but my god.. he wasted so much time and gave me false hope.. I really thought he was the one.. who'd buy the franchise and help bring some stability to the team.. what a disappointment.. if Buffalo loses this team.. I don't know what I'd do.. that would truly be sad considering there are those who do care about this team..

I just want EVERYONE to do their best in keeping this team around.. and if we do end up losing them.. at least we can say that everything that could have been done-was done.. none of this wishy washiness that I see from so many people.. people won't know what they've got.. until it's gone..

Buffarama
02-03-2003, 06:15 PM
I just heard one of Golisano's group talking to Jeff whatever his name is on WNSA. He claims they will buy the team. We shall see.

Ebenezer
02-03-2003, 06:18 PM
I just want to see the public discontent when the Mets and Yankees go to Albany and DEMAND hundreds of millions of dollars from the state...which they have intimated will happen for a while now...then I want to see what happens...I want to see all the Yank-me fans in this area blow a gasket then...fat chance.

Novacane
02-03-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
I just want to see the public discontent when the Mets and Yankees go to Albany and DEMAND hundreds of millions of dollars from the state...which they have intimated will happen for a while now...then I want to see what happens...I want to see all the Yank-me fans in this area blow a gasket then...fat chance.

I was just thinking about this afternoon Eb. I will be very PO'd if they give in to the Yankees. Hamister just wanted a loan if I understand right. How is that a handout?

SkateZilla
02-03-2003, 07:39 PM
this just means the NHL is Looking into other buyers now,
it doesnt mean hammister is done and not going to buy it.

"EXCLUSIVE Rights" Was the Time period where only the Hamiister Bid was being negotiated with.

Now that that "Exclusive Period" is over they will look into other options as well..
you never know maybe some one has a better deal coming.

Typ0
02-03-2003, 08:06 PM
SkateZilla you should look at the article it looks like Hammister is pulling out.

don137
02-03-2003, 08:06 PM
This was the absolute worst time in recent memory to ask the state for money. With a 12 billion dollar deficit and the proposed cutting of education would make it really hard to justify putting money towards the Sabres. I am just glad the Bills went to the state for money for renovations to RWS a few years ago. I am not sure they would of got the money today. I am a huge fan of the Sabres and really hope Golisano steps up to the plate. I would really hate to see them fold or go to another city...

Typ0
02-03-2003, 08:29 PM
You are right don it is a terrible time to ask for money Don. I don't think anyone is asking for a handout though if it can be shown the future revenue streams will have a greater value than an initial payment from the state it should look a lot different. Remember too the team will be leaving the state if they go. I definately agree it's a terrible time to look for the state to bail us out but I don't think anyone is looking for a handout here.