PDA

View Full Version : I want to ask a serious question here.

ICE74129
03-29-2006, 02:14 PM
This is no BS, This isn't to cause any issues, but sincere question.

Do you see Ralph wilson drafting a black QB?

I ask this because I have reservations about Ralph being too 'old School' so to speak. I have also had some comments that I have heard from former players that lead me to believe he wouldn't.

Before anyone goes off here, this is something I am wondering in all seriousness and I feel it should be asked. This isn't the M.O. for Ralph wilson.

Me personally? Hell I don't care either way. Just win is all I give a damn about.

It would be appreciated if personal attacks and dumb assed remarks were not made. Lets discuss this like adults.

ArcticWildMan
03-29-2006, 02:18 PM
I don't think it would make one bit of difference to him. Ralph just wants to field a winning team and if they feel they need a new QB it wouldn't matter if he was purple.

OpIv37
03-29-2006, 02:19 PM
He drafted a Latino QB in Losman. There are no successful Latino/Hispanic QB's that I know of. As far as black QB's there's Culpepper, Randal Cunningham, Donavon McNabb (4 championship games, 1 SB), Doug Williams (won a SB), Vick (limited wins but certainly a marketing success).... I'm sure there are others but these are the ones who come immediately to mind.

So if Ralph is willing to draft a Latino when there are only a handful of successful Latino's in the league and none at QB, why wouldn't he draft a black QB when black players have had tremendous success in the league and there have been successful black QB's?

L.A. Playa
03-29-2006, 02:21 PM
Didnt the Bills have one of the first Black QB's in the history of the NFL

patmoran2006
03-29-2006, 02:22 PM
I dont think race of the quarterback has anything to do with it, except for some ignorant football fans (I'm NOT implying your one of them)...

Vince Young will do a lot more GOOD than Harm to this franchise, and Im' not just talking on the football field on Sundays..

His name and success in college will bring credibility to this team.. His name will bring ESPN and other national media back to Buffalo, who been absent for quite some time.

And lastly, his name will bring excitement back to a lot of the casual fans, whos money at the box office is just as green as ours.

For every person like the majority of us, that break down everything this team does from QB to third string TE.. There are hundreds of fans who simply want to see a WINNING team and dont care about anything else...

Taking Vince Young in thousands of both knowledgable and causal football fans in WNY will inspire a hell of a lot more hope for the future of the team than what we will have with kelly holcomb and craig nall.

On top of that, the F'n guy is ridiculous on the field. I see NOTHING to show me he wont be a very good, possibly even great franchise QB.

Captain gameboy
03-29-2006, 02:24 PM
Didnt the Bills have one of the first Black QB's in the history of the NFL

Absolutely.
James Harris.
Had a cannon arm.

dplus47
03-29-2006, 02:26 PM
I don't think it would make one bit of difference to him. Ralph just wants to field a winning team and if they feel they need a new QB it wouldn't matter if he was purple.

i hear grimace has a gun. barney, not so much.

ArcticWildMan
03-29-2006, 02:28 PM
i hear grimace has a gun. barney, not so much.

LOL!! But neither could scramble to save their life!! :D

OpIv37
03-29-2006, 02:50 PM
I'm opposed to taking Young or any other QB in this draft, though. I'm sick of project QB's- if we're not gonna go find a vet QB then we're better off continuing to work with Losman than starting over with a rookie.

Bmax
03-29-2006, 02:51 PM
He drafted a Latino QB in Losman. There are no successful Latino/Hispanic QB's that I know of. As far as black QB's there's Culpepper, Randal Cunningham, Donavon McNabb (4 championship games, 1 SB), Doug Williams (won a SB), Vick (limited wins but certainly a marketing success).... I'm sure there are others but these are the ones who come immediately to mind.

So if Ralph is willing to draft a Latino when there are only a handful of successful Latino's in the league and none at QB, why wouldn't he draft a black QB when black players have had tremendous success in the league and there have been successful black QB's?

Jim Plunkett....very successful

Bmax
03-29-2006, 02:58 PM
Marlin Briscoe .. was a qb in denver played wr for the bills..........

I don't think race is an issue with Ralph,Marv,Jauron,Modrak etc...I do how ever feel that some fans would have a issue with Young .. They may not admit it but i feel once things got tough the comments would start. It would be very difficult for Young to succed in buffalo....

T WOULD BE MUCH BETTER FOR THEM TO DRAFT A LOWER LEVEL GUY WHO JUST HAPPENED TO BE BLACK . THE EXPECTATION LEVEL WOULD NOT BE AS HIGH.

BMAX

Mr. Pink
03-29-2006, 03:21 PM
You all forgot the best CFL QB ever and First Ballot HOFer Warren Moon. :)

BillsNick
03-29-2006, 03:28 PM
This is rediculous.

patmoran2006
03-29-2006, 03:46 PM
This is rediculous.

hahah. no chit.

Ice probably typed this thread up in his KKK outfit, racist..

(Joke)

ICE74129
03-29-2006, 03:47 PM
This is rediculous. Not at all. It is a valid question.

Mski
03-29-2006, 03:56 PM

you forgot arguably the best QB of all time, well atleast of my lifetime, i was not around to watch johny u (white black purple whatever) Warren Moon

patmoran2006
03-29-2006, 04:27 PM
Not at all. It is a valid question.

If you think asking if our owner would draft a black quarterback is a valid question in 2006 not 1966, you have some issues that go way beyond your lack of a clue when it comes the topics you discuss on a daily basis.

Gunzlingr
03-29-2006, 04:29 PM
Moon never won anything.

patmoran2006
03-29-2006, 04:32 PM
Moon never won anything.
AGreed, he played in a pass happy offense his entire career.

Mr. Pink
03-29-2006, 04:33 PM
Moon won Grey Cups in Canada....by the same token though Marino, Kelly, Tarkenton, Cunningham, etc etc never won anything either. Would you take anything away from any of those 4 guys careers?

Gunzlingr
03-29-2006, 04:35 PM
How many Conference championships did Moon win? That should count for something.

patmoran2006
03-29-2006, 04:35 PM
Moon won Grey Cups in Canada....by the same token though Marino, Kelly, Tarkenton, Cunningham, etc etc never won anything either. Would you take anything away from any of those 4 guys careers?

Kelly and Fran no. Because they led their team to multiple super bowl games.

Dan Marino to me is the most overated , stat-happy QB in the history of football..

Mr. Pink
03-29-2006, 04:44 PM
Kelly and Fran no. Because they led their team to multiple super bowl games.

Dan Marino to me is the most overated , stat-happy QB in the history of football..

Marino also lead his team to a SB, patrick :)
Of course they did get blown out by a vastly superior all around team in the 49ers.

patmoran2006
03-29-2006, 04:45 PM
Ya in his second year and then got his ass handed to him by Jim Kelly every year..

Jim was a better QB than Marino, dont even get me started on this. I"ll end up being called a 'homer' by the time this is over.

OpIv37
03-29-2006, 04:55 PM
you forgot arguably the best QB of all time, well atleast of my lifetime, i was not around to watch johny u (white black purple whatever) Warren Moon

I knew there was at least one big one I was forgetting.

That Guy
03-29-2006, 04:56 PM
If you think asking if our owner would draft a black quarterback is a valid question in 2006 not 1966, you have some issues that go way beyond your lack of a clue when it comes the topics you discuss on a daily basis.
I think it's a legitimate question. It would be rediculous to say that no racism exists in the world. And many people still believe that there's racism as far as coaching hirings go. I don't agree with these sentiments, but it's not like it's not out there.

Mr. Pink
03-29-2006, 04:59 PM
But back to Moon to show why you can't discredit this guy for what he did on the field. Remember football is a team sport, one guy doesn't make a team a winner it takes a complete effort. The Oilers at NO point had a complete team when he was there. I rate Elway higher than him because the Broncos weren't a complete team in the 80s and he still got them to three SBs, without any real semblance of a running game. Just some numbers Moon put up, Canadian and NFL wise.

During his CFL career, Moon amassed 1,369 completions on 2,382 attempts for 21,288 yards and 144 touchdown passes. He was inducted into the CFL Hall of Fame in 2001.

In the NFL he put up 3,988 completions for 49,325 yards, 291 touchdown passes, 1,736 yards rushing, and 22 rushing touchdowns. Among the league's all-time top 50 QBs, he ranks 4th in pass attempts, 4th in completions, 4th in Passing Yards, and 5th in Passing TDs.

Now here is where the numbers get even more impressive, when you combine his NFL and CFL totals. Moon's numbers are staggering: 5,357 completions for 70,613 yards and 435 touchdowns. There's no reason to believe that he wouldnt have accumulated similar numbers in the NFL. Marino leads all-time NFL wise in yardage with 61,361 yards. Moon is 9000 yards higher than that which equates to 3 good seasons more in yardage. TDs Marino is also the NFL all-time leader with 420. Favre is second with 395 so he could pass Moon by the time his career is over. Marino also leads all-time in the NFL with 4967 completions. Moon, 400 greater.

He also lead the Edmonton Eskimoes to 5 straight Grey Cup Titles. Last I checked the CFL was a professional league. Much like the old AAFC and AFL, where Buffalo started.

patmoran2006
03-29-2006, 05:07 PM
Plus, he smacked his wife around.. Ok you won me over "Fun".. Im on board with Moon now.

Mr. Pink
03-29-2006, 05:08 PM
And the guy my avatar is for smacked many a woman around! Not that anyone condones that but it doesn't take away from the fact that he's the greatest RB in the history of the game.

patmoran2006
03-29-2006, 05:26 PM
LOL yer neg keeps going up

Mr. Pink
03-29-2006, 05:29 PM
I'm working on catching up to you!

patmoran2006
03-29-2006, 05:36 PM
U can do it.. Just get the "rep mafia family" after you.. I lost about 9,000 points in a few hours...
Dont give up your ZB to them when they come calling.

G. Host
03-29-2006, 08:47 PM

Since Ralph Wilson was the FIRST team owner who fielded a black QB, I do not see why not. I do not see him drafting a 1st round QB this year of any color - white, red, yellow, black or even green.

Mr. Pink
03-29-2006, 08:51 PM
Since Ralph Wilson was the FIRST team owner who fielded a black QB, I do not see why not. I do not see him drafting a 1st round QB this year of any color - white, red, yellow, black or even green.

Is Shrek available? Perhaps Oscar the Grouch? WAIT! I got it, Marvin the Martian! He's got some mobility, the other two guys are statues and wouLD get killed.

YardRat
03-29-2006, 08:58 PM
James Harris in the past...Tory Woodbury in the present.

Marino is over-rated...as is Moon.

If Kelly would have 'stayed' in Houston when he came back from the USFL and played with the Oilers instead of the Bills, Marino would be second in all the record books instead of first.

And Houston might have actually sniffed a Super Bowl or two.

Dozerdog
03-29-2006, 09:00 PM

I ask this because I have reservations about Ralph being too 'old School' so to speak. I have also had some comments that I have heard from former players that lead me to believe he wouldn't.

Before anyone goes off here, this is something I am wondering in all seriousness and I feel it should be asked. This isn't the M.O. for Ralph wilson.

Me personally? Hell I don't care either way. Just win is all I give a damn about.

It would be appreciated if personal attacks and dumb assed remarks were not made. Lets discuss this like adults.

Dumbest, most ******ed ***** posts ever.

1- Ralph Wilson hasn't drafted anyone in 46 years of owning the club. He hires football people to do that.

2- The Buffalo Bills drafted one of the first black QBs to start in the NFL in James Harris- over 35 years ago.

3- Why ask a stupid question and not want to get stupid answers? Was there even a point to any of this?

Drive 4 Five
03-29-2006, 10:56 PM
Lame. Absolutley ****ing lame ass post.