PDA

View Full Version : Would it be the end of the world if we took Vince Young?

Earthquake Enyart
03-30-2006, 07:09 AM
I mean, really.

The guy is a winner. He single handedly took a team on his shoulders and won a championship. He could be the next McNabb.

OK, he's not the sharpest tool in the shed. But Terry Bradshaw isn't exactly a genius either. And Kelly only got a 15 on his wonderlich.

I'm starting to get the feeling that if we don't take a bone fide franchise QB, we'll regret it.

Mitchy moo
03-30-2006, 07:14 AM
EE, I am right behind you on this one. We got WM because of his knee getting hurt and we can get young because of a bad test score. It's a no brainer and I bet if you think about it, we all had bad test scores on something or other in our lives.

Also, if the O-line still sucks at least young could run for his life.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=95887

ICE74129
03-30-2006, 07:19 AM
I mean, really.

The guy is a winner. He single handedly took a team on his shoulders and won a championship. He could be the next McNabb.

OK, he's not the sharpest tool in the shed. But Terry Bradshaw isn't exactly a genius either. And Kelly only got a 15 on his wonderlich.

I'm starting to get the feeling that if we don't take a bone fide franchise QB, we'll regret it.

1) the man got a 6 on his wonderlic. a SIX! That goes down either as one of the worst or damn close to it in that tests history when testing players.

2) Until the Rose Bowl of last year, this did didn't do well at all against good competition.

3) VERY bad throwing motion. Not that fast (4.58 I believe) and not that strong of an arm.

4) his entire college career he was playing a very simple offense.

No. Just say no. Draft Croyle, Jacobs etc in the 3rd round.

don137
03-30-2006, 07:24 AM
Its not the end of the world but it seems like the Bills for the last few years have been doing everything but going after the root cause of the problem on the offfense which is the OL. The line can't run block or pass protect yet very little has been done to correct this. How well could Jim Kelly do behind the line we fielded the last few years? Look at Mark Rypien. He had a stud OL when he was with the Redskins and ended up being Super Bowl MVP. A year or two afte his MVP when he had a weak OL he looked awful and a totally different QB. Until Buffalo addresses the line its really hard to tell how good or how bad any Bills quarterback can be.

Night Train
03-30-2006, 07:25 AM
If we keep ignoring the OL and continue to concentrate on skill positions without letting the current youngsters develop, then we will always be the frustrated dog who chases his tail and can't figure out why he's not making any progress.

A GM needs to stick to a plan and not be distracted by every shiny object he sees.

vicmantak
03-30-2006, 07:26 AM
Draft Young would be continue the same J.P. history (wait until he develops...) but without unvaluable draft picks issues...

Earthquake Enyart
03-30-2006, 07:26 AM
1) the man got a 6 on his wonderlic. a SIX! That goes down either as one of the worst or damn close to it in that tests history when testing players.

2) Until the Rose Bowl of last year, this did didn't do well at all against good competition.

3) VERY bad throwing motion. Not that fast (4.58 I believe) and not that strong of an arm.

4) his entire college career he was playing a very simple offense.

No. Just say no. Draft Croyle, Jacobs etc in the 3rd round.

1. The wonderlich thing doesn't bother me.

2. Ah, but the Rose Bowl was damn convincing. You'd like to have him on your side for a big game.

3. Phillip Rivers has a crappy motion. Kosar had a crappy motion. 4.58 is damn fast for a QB.

4. You think the Steelers play a complex offense? If you're good enough, you can run simple plays and beat people.

ICE74129
03-30-2006, 07:28 AM
A six is a clear sign of a problem. Young will end up being a bust. Draft someone else lower and let them develop. Marv understands this.

Earthquake Enyart
03-30-2006, 07:31 AM
How long do you want to wait?

Three years from now, are you going to have to admit failure again, and draft another project and wait another 3 years?

Take the sure thing now.

Patrick76777
03-30-2006, 07:32 AM
1. The wonderlich thing doesn't bother me.

2. Ah, but the Rose Bowl was damn convincing. You'd like to have him on your side for a big game.

3. Phillip Rivers has a crappy motion. Kosar had a crappy motion. 4.58 is damn fast for a QB.

4. You think the Steelers play a complex offense? If you're good enough, you can run simple plays and beat people.

He also beat a very good Ohio State team earlier in the year. In Ohio State, at night.

Patrick76777
03-30-2006, 07:33 AM
Draft Young would be continue the same J.P. history (wait until he develops...) but without unvaluable draft picks issues...

Young is way more talented then JP.

Bill Brasky
03-30-2006, 07:37 AM
At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills gamble and take him.

I don't think it would be the smartest move at #8 because this team has soooo many needs at this point, but if he falls to 8 I wouldn't be surprised to see Marv & Co. take him.

I don't think he's the next McNabb... but I don't think he'll be the next Ak. Smith either

Earthquake Enyart
03-30-2006, 07:38 AM
He is the value pick. The best player available at No. 8.

Bill Brasky
03-30-2006, 07:41 AM
With the way the draft might fall, it would be stupid for Buffalo to take an OL, Brick is the only guy worth taking in the top 15...

Ngata, Bunkley... but are they worth a #8 at this point?

Who knows, anything is possible with this team right now.

Iehoshua
03-30-2006, 07:43 AM
I would be fine with taking Young if it happens.

Not actively rooting for it but it would be very interesting. I have a feeling he'll be gone before we pick, however, unless we trade up.

ICE74129
03-30-2006, 07:47 AM
How long do you want to wait?

Three years from now, are you going to have to admit failure again, and draft another project and wait another 3 years?

Take the sure thing now.

Craig Nall. Marv and DJ are going to start this guy and give him the same shot that Delhome had.

Wait? Young will take 4-5 years as stupid as he is to get up to speed. Lionart MIGHT Be ready year 2-3 but will still go though a full season of struggles since he hasn't started an NFL Game.

This is a two offseason process to get the TEAM ready. When it is ready we can do somewhat like pittsburgh and stick a guy in there that has been on this team for 2 seasons. and him do well.

THATHURMANATOR
03-30-2006, 07:47 AM
I had thought the six on the wonderlic was misstated and that he really did get a 16(which still isn't great)

I would not freak out if we did this. He would bring excitement to the field for sure.

ICE74129
03-30-2006, 07:48 AM
If we keep ignoring the OL and continue to concentrate on skill positions without letting the current youngsters develop, then we will always be the frustrated dog who chases his tail and can't figure out why he's not making any progress.

A GM needs to stick to a plan and not be distracted by every shiny object he sees.

YES! I am telling you right now, to the pain of many here, Marv is going LINES with the first 3-4 picks in this draft. We will draft a LG, LG and DT. Just wait and see.

ICE74129
03-30-2006, 07:49 AM
I had thought the six on the wonderlic was misstated and that he really did get a 16(which still isn't great)

I would not freak out if we did this. He would bring excitement to the field for sure.

Screw excitement. Winning is exciting, this offense will be exciting. Young is a moron.

No more first round QB's. Build up the TEAM and you can put any guy back there.

THATHURMANATOR
03-30-2006, 07:53 AM
But wasn't the 6 misstated Ice?

Philagape
03-30-2006, 07:54 AM
No such thing as a sure thing, and Young is far from one.

THATHURMANATOR
03-30-2006, 07:59 AM
Schoop and the Bulldawg on WGR 550 brought up a very valid point in my mind about which is more important, a good QB or a good line. Obviously both are important but a great QB can usually make the line look good, while a great line rarely can make an average QB look good. Point is that QB is more important. I think we could still fix both in the draft. This is all based on the logic that they are getting rid of JP.

THATHURMANATOR
03-30-2006, 07:59 AM
No such thing as a sure thing, and Young is far from one.
You could say this about any player in the draft. Should we refrain from picking anyone? :idunno: