X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

My take on the JP rumour

1) There is some truth to it or it will not go this far.
    2) It does not mean that they don't like JP. It simply means that there is someone in the draft that they like better, and it is not a late round QB (no one ever banks on a QB drafted from 2nd round or later).
    3) I just cannot believe that they are counting on Nall being a starter. He's a 3rd stringer and not one with buzz words on him in the league like Favre/Hassleback/Brooks before him. Last I checked, not a single memeber of the Bills staff is from Green Bay that has a personal knowledge of him that no one else in the league knows about.
    4) Holcomb is simply a reliable vet that you can count on to step in when the starter is down. He's not someone to build your team on. I think everyone knows that by now.

My guess is that they really like one of the top 3 QBs in this draft - Modrak is known for having a strong belief in someone he sees to the point that I heard some have accused him being stubborn. I recalled Modrak really liked Ben in 2003 but they were unable to swing a deal to jump ahead of the Steelers at the time. So it is not far fetched that they may feel strongly about a QB this time around that they feel there is a realistic chance.

It's all about the scouting department's belief and coaching staff's assessment of Losman. If they think this QB prospect having a higher probability to prosper than Losman, what do you do?

Test the water, see if there are takers of Losman that will give you a 1st round pick, allowing you to follow through your plan of drafting someone like Justice which you would normally do without taking a QB.

Does anyone else think the Chargers screwed themselves up with Brees/Rivers? I do. They could easily sign Brees into a long term contract had them not getting Rivers. Better yet, they could've gotten a great player at that spot and made playoffs/went deep into the playoffs the last couple of years. (I'm assuming Brees still would be the player he is prior to the injury should Rivers not breathing down his back.) No one want to repeat Chargers experience.
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Re: My take on the JP rumour

Good points.. and I totally agree with you.

If there's some truth to this it HAS to be because they REALLY like one of the big three QB's in the draft... Yer right about Modrak and Roth, I actually remember that very well.

I also agree it's one of the big three QB's, as they cant project a Brodie Croyle as a franchise savior (too oft-injured) and Jacobs and Vick EVEN if we liked them would be a huge project.

It's VERY possible to me that Marv knowing their in rebuilding mode over a 2-3 year span wants his own quarterback to put his stamp on this team.. It sure as hell isnt uncommon with a GM to do that.

The 8th pick besides Brick provides no value at OT for that high, nor DT either unless they really like Ngata, which would contradict they're defensive system entirely.

For JP it would blow personally. He never got a fair shake. At the same time, its the way the business goes. while many people hate the thought of Vince Young as a Bill; I dont look at 2006 I look beyond and I think the can eventually dominate in this league.

Cutler reminds a lot of people (and maybe Marv) of Jim Kelly with the arm, attitude and swagger.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Gunzlingr
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh
      1) There is some truth to it or it will not go this far.
      This far? You mean to be on yahoo by some wannabe? If there was something to it, it would be on SI.com/ESPN/Foxsports not on some yahoo's Yahoo article alone.

It makes no sense, and I will believe it when I see it, not based on a rumor the disgruntled Bills Chef (disgruntled because his best client - Big Sam - has been released) told the janitor who told the Cardinals scout on a plane who told Hadley Everhard, who told Phil after a round of bowling ball shots who told some guy who writes opinions for Yahoo sports.
      You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Gunzlingr
        This far? You mean to be on yahoo by some wannabe? If there was something to it, it would be on SI.com/ESPN/Foxsports not on some yahoo's Yahoo article alone.

It makes no sense, and I will believe it when I see it, not based on a rumor the disgruntled Bills Chef (disgruntled because his best client - Big Sam - has been released) told the janitor who told the Cardinals scout on a plane who told Hadley Everhard, who told Phil after a round of bowling ball shots who told some guy who writes opinions for Yahoo sports.
        1- Don't dis Yahoo Sports

2- Whether he's traded or not.. Its obvious the staff isnt' so high on Losman. I also think there is a QB among these top three (dont know who) that Marv Levy likes.. A LOT

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
          • Aug 2004

I should emphysize the phrase that they may like one of 3 better than Losman.

By no means I think they've given up on Losman. I just think they are trying to see if they can swap Losman for that QB they think is better and still get a lineman like Justice/Bunkley without giving away draft picks.

If it's not do-able, I think they will keep Losman, hoping he breaks out like Brees did in his third year.

Comment

• ICE74129
            Legendary Zoner
            • Feb 2005

My take on the rumor....It's true. I have said since Marv got here I can't believe he is still on this roster. There is something marv doesn't like about the kid. he isn't going to wait on him either.

Pat Kirwan said JP was going to be shopped last week, everyone said he was full of crap too. More and more this is starting to leak out.

I have to wonder, how much smoke do fans need before they realise there is a fire?

Comment

• Gunzlingr
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
              My take on the rumor....It's true. I have said since Marv got here I can't believe he is still on this roster. There is something marv doesn't like about the kid. he isn't going to wait on him either.

Pat Kirwan said JP was going to be shopped last week, everyone said he was full of crap too. More and more this is starting to leak out.

I have to wonder, how much smoke do fans need before they realise there is a fire?
              You and marv must be pretty tight to know what he is thinking and feeling regarding the players. Kirwan speculates that he maybe shopped and some hack writes an opinion piece and it is fact? If this is the case, I believe that the Moulds for Idontje deal is going to happen, too.
              You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

• HAMMER
                I'm right, Miyagi is wrong.
                • Jul 2003

I don't buy the rumors. Marv stated he didn't want to bring in an early round QB "savior", he promised Nall he would compete for the starting spot. Marv doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to make two statements and then go against them, he also realizes he needs oodles of help on both lines. The only way I see it happening is if he sees things in Losman in the next few weeks that make him believe his mental capacities/leadership skills aren't up to snuff. JP needs a chance to compete again for the position. Some of his throws last year were unbelievably stellar, others were shat. He needs time, most QB's do, why has it become vogue to say Losman is done?

Comment

Working...
                X