X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Marv is Rebuilding Bills of 90's

When Marv first came to coach the bills , Kelly, Bruce , Hull ,Reed and later on Thurman were all young. They weren't set on their ways like a vet would be. They were the core of a team that would later on dominate the 90's. They were young and had a lot to learn. This is the way Poilan did it then and it's the same recipe he did with the Colts. Harrison , Manning and James were all grown in home.

Fast forward to 2006.

Marv cleaned house by getting rid of guys like Adams and Milloy. Unless Fletcher thrives well in the new system, I doubt he will be brought back when his contract is up and even if he is retained, his replacement will be groomed. I suspect the same goes with Spikes but unlike Fletcher he's not old but it all depends on how he fits in to the new system plus his injury.
    These guys are gonna be the Mcguinest of this bills. Serviceable , but not the future. Moulds was one of them which is why Marv asked for a paycutt. Moulds would've been this teams Lofton.

People want to b!tch about not getting guys like Runyan or Fabini. They aren't players that will be here in a couple of years anyways. Why waste our time? Marv will build via the draft or get up and coming players who fit in the system they are installing.

Going young is what has made teams that have been dominant through the years. Pitts, Colts and Patriots. Going via the FA builds a team that has talent but almost never results into a cohessive unit because as last year proved, vets will tend to have their own way of doing things. They sometimes tend to think they know more than the coach. The raiders and Redskins have done this through the years to no success. TD's ways had a lot of vets but never resulted in success.

Clements is young and his best years are still ahead of him

Look at the players Marv has brought in. Davis, Reed, Tripplett. All young pups that have upsides and aren't set on their ways. Players that can learn a system who's youth allows them to physically do what is asked of them.

This isn't a win now situation. If Marv told you guys we're rebuilding, would you guys renew your season tickets or would you wait for all of it to come into place before you renew it?
    sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/
  • ICE74129
    Legendary Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Re: Marv is Rebuilding Bills of 90's

Originally posted by justasportsfan
    When Marv first came to coach the bills , Kelly, Bruce , Hull ,Reed and later on Thurman were all young. They weren't set on their ways like a vet would be. This were the core of a team that would later on dominate the 90's. They were young and had a lot to learn. This is the way Poilan did it then and it's the same recipe he did with the Colts. Harrison , Manning and James were all grown in home.

Fast forward to 2006.

Marv cleaned house by getting rid of guys like Adams and Milloy. Unless Fletcher thrives well in the new system, I doubt he will be brought back when his contract is up and even if he is retained, his replacement will be groomed. I suspect the same goes with Spikes but unlike Fletcher he's not old but it all depends on how he fits in to the new system plus his injury.
    These guys are gonna be the Mcguinest of this bills. Serviceable , but not the future. Moulds was one of them which is why Marv asked for a paycutt. Moulds would've been this teams Lofton.

People want to b!tch about not getting guys like Runyan or Fabini. They aren't players than will be here in a couple of years anyways. Why waste our time? Marv will build via the draft or get up and coming players who fit in the system they are installing.

Going young is what has made teams that have been dominant through the years. Pitts, Colts and Patriots. Going via the FA builds a team that has talent but almost never results into a cohessive unit because as last year proved, vets will tend to have their own way of doing things. They sometimes tend to think they know more than the coach. The raiders and Redskins have done this through the years to no success. TD's ways had a lot of vets but never resulted in success.

Look at the players Marv has brought in. Davis, Reed, Tripplett. All young pups that have upsides and aren't set on their ways. Players that can learn a system who's youth allows them to physically do what is asked of them.

This isn't a win now situation. If Marv told you guys we're rebuilding, would you guys renew your season tickets or would you wait for all of it to come into place before you renew it?

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

Oh and another thing, even the Pats are slowly getting rid of their vets because it didn't work for them last year. They are going young again. Why do you think they didn't go for guys like Fabini , Adams and Milloy( he probably would've signed w/ the Pats for less) They didn't make a big push for Moulds because he isn't their future either.
      sacrifice1

Comment

• ICE74129
        Legendary Zoner
        • Feb 2005

Here is what I don't get, the hatered toward Nall. Apperantly the coaches/ Scouts see something in him. He fits the mold as for as what we want to do. The best news? We know they aren't handing this team to a 33 year old holcomb!

Comment

• patmoran2006
          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
          • Dec 2005

Good points.. HOwever, some disagreements here:

* London Fletcher plays ANYTHING like he did in 2005 they better bring him back.. HE fits in ANY defensive scheme. the same for Spikes.

* Nate is not a young player who's best days are ahead of him.. He's in his prime right now. I also dont recall any DB in the Polian era costing $7.2 million (and will be more next year)

* LIke the marv-coached teams of yesterday, there is some good young talent; Willis, Evans, Peters, McGee etc.

* Unlike the old marv teams, the MOST OVERLOOKED thing at all, is there was 100% stability at QB. NOt a person in WNY doubted who should or would be starting.. As long as JP, NAll or HOlcomb are here, forget about that.

So in closing, if you want to sell me on this.. .That's fine. I'll buy into it.

IF and ONLY IF we draft a QB that's going to lead this team for the next decade. I dont care what our record is. Jimbo went 4-12 his rookie year.

But I want an undisputed LEADER at QB.. So you give me Cutler or Young and I buy into the Bills replica of earlier years.. No position is more important than QB.. I won't care how bad we suck this year.. FOr the next 2 years or so we will build lines around this general... Sorry, but I REFUSE to take stock in a 3rd string GB QB with 33 career passes and NO buzz about him as the future of this football team.

So.. Gimme Young or Cutler and I truly believe we're trying to build a future Super Bowl winner in Buffalo... Otherwise, I think its a crock of **** and we're just covering his ass for a horrible off-season. IMO

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• Typ0
            honey pie
            • Jul 2002

When Marv first came to coach the bills , Kelly, Bruce , Hull ,Reed and later on Thurman were all young. They weren't set on their ways like a vet would be. They were the core of a team that would later on dominate the 90's. They were young and had a lot to learn. This is the way Poilan did it then and it's the same recipe he did with the Colts. Harrison , Manning and James were all grown in home.

Fast forward to 2006.

People want to b!tch about not getting guys like Runyan or Fabini. They aren't players that will be here in a couple of years anyways. Why waste our time? Marv will build via the draft or get up and coming players who fit in the system they are installing.

I think you are right...but unfortunately I'd be much more prone to buy tickets if OBD was straight with me about what was going on there. It looks like ML is just picking up where TD left off...albeit with a slightly different philosophy.

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by patmoran2006
              Good points.. HOwever, some disagreements here:

* London Fletcher plays ANYTHING like he did in 2005 they better bring him back.. HE fits in ANY defensive scheme. the same for Spikes.

* Nate is not a young player who's best days are ahead of him.. He's in his prime right now. I also dont recall any DB in the Polian era costing $7.2 million (and will be more next year)

* LIke the marv-coached teams of yesterday, there is some good young talent; Willis, Evans, Peters, McGee etc.

* Unlike the old marv teams, the MOST OVERLOOKED thing at all, is there was 100% stability at QB. NOt a person in WNY doubted who should or would be starting.. As long as JP, NAll or HOlcomb are here, forget about that.

So in closing, if you want to sell me on this.. .That's fine. I'll buy into it.

IF and ONLY IF we draft a QB that's going to lead this team for the next decade. I dont care what our record is. Jimbo went 4-12 his rookie year.

But I want an undisputed LEADER at QB.. So you give me Cutler or Young and I buy into the Bills replica of earlier years.. No position is more important than QB.. I won't care how bad we suck this year.. FOr the next 2 years or so we will build lines around this general... Sorry, but I REFUSE to take stock in a 3rd string GB QB with 33 career passes and NO buzz about him as the future of this football team.

So.. Gimme Young or Cutler and I truly believe we're trying to build a future Super Bowl winner in Buffalo... Otherwise, I think its a crock of **** and we're just covering his ass for a horrible off-season. IMO

If Fletcher isn't gonna be the next Bennet, he's gone. Marv is gonna find his Bennet. He may plug in a Chris Spielman or find a Bryce Paup but he's gonna go with youth eventually. Fletcher is smart , but his body may not allow him to react the way a younger player would.

The jury is still out on Spikes' injury. Cowart was a beast. He was never the same after his injury. Only time will tell.

Who's to say JP isn't a leader? Moulds? Vets? Like I siad, vets have their own way of thinking. I will leave it up to the coaches to decide if he has what it takes to be our future qb. Not YOU.

Nate can still be around for the next 4-5 years. Under the right system, his best year are still ahead of him. Again, that's for the coaches to decide. Tagging him could mean that he's either right for the system or we could get something for him instead of just letting him go.
              sacrifice1

Comment

• ICE74129
                Legendary Zoner
                • Feb 2005

If Fletcher isn't gonna be the next Bennet, he's gone. Marv is gonna find his Bennet. He may plug in a Chris Spielman or find a Bryce Paup but he's gonna go with youth eventually. Fletcher is smart , but his body may not allow him to react the way a younger player would.

The jury is still out on Spikes' injury. Cowart was a beast. He was never the same after his injury. Only time will tell.

Who's to say JP isn't a leader? Moulds? Vets? Like I siad, vets have their own way of thinking. I will leave it up to the coaches to decide if he has what it takes to be our future qb. Not YOU.

Nate can still be around for the next 4-5 years. Under the right system, his best year are still ahead of him. Again, that's for the coaches to decide. Tagging him could mean that he's either right for the system or we could get something for him instead of just letting him go.
                I think our bennett is spikes, should he come back even 90%. LB's will be addressed NEXT offseason. As will any remaining linemen we might need. I see this draft spent on the lines and drafting a QB in the 3rd round.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                  Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                  • Dec 2005

Why in the love of God would you waste a third-round pick on a QB who would be yet ANOTHER LONG TERM PROJECT?

Comment

• patmoran2006
                    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                    • Dec 2005

Justa.

YOur opinion has merit. But if you're going 1990's Bills style.. If you have no Jim Kelly on your team, you have no Buffalo Bills.

If your using this as a model, and its a good model. You better go out and get Jay Cutler.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
                      I think our bennett is spikes, should he come back even 90%. LB's will be addressed NEXT offseason. As will any remaining linemen we might need. I see this draft spent on the lines and drafting a QB in the 3rd round.
                      I hope so on your Spikes comment. I'm hoping that an achilles injury is what an ACL injury is these days, No big deal. That however remains to be seen.

Imagine a lb core with Hawk, Spikes and Crowell.I disagree on a qb at 3rd rd. We have that in Nall. There's more value in drafting a OL in the 3rd than a qb at 3rd.
                      sacrifice1

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

Justa.

YOur opinion has merit. But if you're going 1990's Bills style.. If you have no Jim Kelly on your team, you have no Buffalo Bills.

If your using this as a model, and its a good model. You better go out and get Jay Cutler.
                        The upcoming volunteer work outs will determine that. Again, I'll leave that up to the coaches. Will all due respect, not you.
                        sacrifice1

Comment

• patmoran2006
                          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                          • Dec 2005

Yer trying to copy a Buffalo Bills 1990's team all over the field;

But instead of Jim Kelly at QB, you're stuck with Tony Eason and Todd Blackledge leading the team..

Comment

• ICE74129
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Feb 2005

I hope so on your Spikes comment. I'm hoping that an achilles injury is what an ACL injury is these days, No big deal. That however remains to be seen.

Imagine a lb core with Hawk, Spikes and Crowell.I disagree on a qb at 3rd rd. We have that in Nall. There's more value in drafting a OL in the 3rd than a qb at 3rd.
                            It's not about value, its about putting the best possible talent on the OL. If you can get the 2nd best tackle vs the 6th you take the 2nd best tackle.

Look Croyle is a damn good QB with proven exp against the top competition. If not for his old ACL and had Bama did better this season he would be talked about right there with the other 3.

I am going to say right now Marv levy will NOT spend a first round pick on a QB. Read his comments from the other day. He flat doesn't want one. It is too much pressure on the kid and the org to get him up to speed sooner than later. Draft a Croyle or Jacobs and let them sit for a year or two. By then the TEAM will be ready to support them like they did Rothlesburger in Pittsburgh.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                              • Jul 2002

Yer trying to copy a Buffalo Bills 1990's team all over the field;

But instead of Jim Kelly at QB, you're stuck with Tony Eason and Todd Blackledge leading the team..
                              Not necesarily the bills. Colts, Pats, Pitts. Same recipe.
                              sacrifice1

Comment

Working...
                              X