PDA

View Full Version : Marv is Rebuilding Bills of 90's

justasportsfan
03-30-2006, 09:02 AM
When Marv first came to coach the bills , Kelly, Bruce , Hull ,Reed and later on Thurman were all young. They weren't set on their ways like a vet would be. They were the core of a team that would later on dominate the 90's. They were young and had a lot to learn. This is the way Poilan did it then and it's the same recipe he did with the Colts. Harrison , Manning and James were all grown in home.

Fast forward to 2006.

Marv cleaned house by getting rid of guys like Adams and Milloy. Unless Fletcher thrives well in the new system, I doubt he will be brought back when his contract is up and even if he is retained, his replacement will be groomed. I suspect the same goes with Spikes but unlike Fletcher he's not old but it all depends on how he fits in to the new system plus his injury.
These guys are gonna be the Mcguinest of this bills. Serviceable , but not the future. Moulds was one of them which is why Marv asked for a paycutt. Moulds would've been this teams Lofton.

People want to b!tch about not getting guys like Runyan or Fabini. They aren't players that will be here in a couple of years anyways. Why waste our time? Marv will build via the draft or get up and coming players who fit in the system they are installing.

Going young is what has made teams that have been dominant through the years. Pitts, Colts and Patriots. Going via the FA builds a team that has talent but almost never results into a cohessive unit because as last year proved, vets will tend to have their own way of doing things. They sometimes tend to think they know more than the coach. The raiders and Redskins have done this through the years to no success. TD's ways had a lot of vets but never resulted in success.

Clements is young and his best years are still ahead of him

Look at the players Marv has brought in. Davis, Reed, Tripplett. All young pups that have upsides and aren't set on their ways. Players that can learn a system who's youth allows them to physically do what is asked of them.

This isn't a win now situation. If Marv told you guys we're rebuilding, would you guys renew your season tickets or would you wait for all of it to come into place before you renew it?

ICE74129
03-30-2006, 09:05 AM
When Marv first came to coach the bills , Kelly, Bruce , Hull ,Reed and later on Thurman were all young. They weren't set on their ways like a vet would be. This were the core of a team that would later on dominate the 90's. They were young and had a lot to learn. This is the way Poilan did it then and it's the same recipe he did with the Colts. Harrison , Manning and James were all grown in home.

Fast forward to 2006.

Marv cleaned house by getting rid of guys like Adams and Milloy. Unless Fletcher thrives well in the new system, I doubt he will be brought back when his contract is up and even if he is retained, his replacement will be groomed. I suspect the same goes with Spikes but unlike Fletcher he's not old but it all depends on how he fits in to the new system plus his injury.
These guys are gonna be the Mcguinest of this bills. Serviceable , but not the future. Moulds was one of them which is why Marv asked for a paycutt. Moulds would've been this teams Lofton.

People want to b!tch about not getting guys like Runyan or Fabini. They aren't players than will be here in a couple of years anyways. Why waste our time? Marv will build via the draft or get up and coming players who fit in the system they are installing.

Going young is what has made teams that have been dominant through the years. Pitts, Colts and Patriots. Going via the FA builds a team that has talent but almost never results into a cohessive unit because as last year proved, vets will tend to have their own way of doing things. They sometimes tend to think they know more than the coach. The raiders and Redskins have done this through the years to no success. TD's ways had a lot of vets but never resulted in success.

Look at the players Marv has brought in. Davis, Reed, Tripplett. All young pups that have upsides and aren't set on their ways. Players that can learn a system who's youth allows them to physically do what is asked of them.

This isn't a win now situation. If Marv told you guys we're rebuilding, would you guys renew your season tickets or would you wait for all of it to come into place before you renew it?

:bf1:

justasportsfan
03-30-2006, 09:11 AM
Oh and another thing, even the Pats are slowly getting rid of their vets because it didn't work for them last year. They are going young again. Why do you think they didn't go for guys like Fabini , Adams and Milloy( he probably would've signed w/ the Pats for less) They didn't make a big push for Moulds because he isn't their future either.

ICE74129
03-30-2006, 09:13 AM
Here is what I don't get, the hatered toward Nall. Apperantly the coaches/ Scouts see something in him. He fits the mold as for as what we want to do. The best news? We know they aren't handing this team to a 33 year old holcomb!

patmoran2006
03-30-2006, 09:14 AM
Good points.. HOwever, some disagreements here:

* London Fletcher plays ANYTHING like he did in 2005 they better bring him back.. HE fits in ANY defensive scheme. the same for Spikes.

* Nate is not a young player who's best days are ahead of him.. He's in his prime right now. I also dont recall any DB in the Polian era costing $7.2 million (and will be more next year)

* LIke the marv-coached teams of yesterday, there is some good young talent; Willis, Evans, Peters, McGee etc.

* Unlike the old marv teams, the MOST OVERLOOKED thing at all, is there was 100% stability at QB. NOt a person in WNY doubted who should or would be starting.. As long as JP, NAll or HOlcomb are here, forget about that.

So in closing, if you want to sell me on this.. .That's fine. I'll buy into it.

IF and ONLY IF we draft a QB that's going to lead this team for the next decade. I dont care what our record is. Jimbo went 4-12 his rookie year.

But I want an undisputed LEADER at QB.. So you give me Cutler or Young and I buy into the Bills replica of earlier years.. No position is more important than QB.. I won't care how bad we suck this year.. FOr the next 2 years or so we will build lines around this general... Sorry, but I REFUSE to take stock in a 3rd string GB QB with 33 career passes and NO buzz about him as the future of this football team.

So.. Gimme Young or Cutler and I truly believe we're trying to build a future Super Bowl winner in Buffalo... Otherwise, I think its a crock of **** and we're just covering his ass for a horrible off-season. IMO

Typ0
03-30-2006, 09:22 AM
When Marv first came to coach the bills , Kelly, Bruce , Hull ,Reed and later on Thurman were all young. They weren't set on their ways like a vet would be. They were the core of a team that would later on dominate the 90's. They were young and had a lot to learn. This is the way Poilan did it then and it's the same recipe he did with the Colts. Harrison , Manning and James were all grown in home.

Fast forward to 2006.

People want to b!tch about not getting guys like Runyan or Fabini. They aren't players that will be here in a couple of years anyways. Why waste our time? Marv will build via the draft or get up and coming players who fit in the system they are installing.

I think you are right...but unfortunately I'd be much more prone to buy tickets if OBD was straight with me about what was going on there. It looks like ML is just picking up where TD left off...albeit with a slightly different philosophy.

justasportsfan
03-30-2006, 09:33 AM
Good points.. HOwever, some disagreements here:

* London Fletcher plays ANYTHING like he did in 2005 they better bring him back.. HE fits in ANY defensive scheme. the same for Spikes.

* Nate is not a young player who's best days are ahead of him.. He's in his prime right now. I also dont recall any DB in the Polian era costing $7.2 million (and will be more next year)

* LIke the marv-coached teams of yesterday, there is some good young talent; Willis, Evans, Peters, McGee etc.

* Unlike the old marv teams, the MOST OVERLOOKED thing at all, is there was 100% stability at QB. NOt a person in WNY doubted who should or would be starting.. As long as JP, NAll or HOlcomb are here, forget about that.

So in closing, if you want to sell me on this.. .That's fine. I'll buy into it.

IF and ONLY IF we draft a QB that's going to lead this team for the next decade. I dont care what our record is. Jimbo went 4-12 his rookie year.

But I want an undisputed LEADER at QB.. So you give me Cutler or Young and I buy into the Bills replica of earlier years.. No position is more important than QB.. I won't care how bad we suck this year.. FOr the next 2 years or so we will build lines around this general... Sorry, but I REFUSE to take stock in a 3rd string GB QB with 33 career passes and NO buzz about him as the future of this football team.

So.. Gimme Young or Cutler and I truly believe we're trying to build a future Super Bowl winner in Buffalo... Otherwise, I think its a crock of **** and we're just covering his ass for a horrible off-season. IMO

If Fletcher isn't gonna be the next Bennet, he's gone. Marv is gonna find his Bennet. He may plug in a Chris Spielman or find a Bryce Paup but he's gonna go with youth eventually. Fletcher is smart , but his body may not allow him to react the way a younger player would.

The jury is still out on Spikes' injury. Cowart was a beast. He was never the same after his injury. Only time will tell.

Who's to say JP isn't a leader? Moulds? Vets? Like I siad, vets have their own way of thinking. I will leave it up to the coaches to decide if he has what it takes to be our future qb. Not YOU.

Nate can still be around for the next 4-5 years. Under the right system, his best year are still ahead of him. Again, that's for the coaches to decide. Tagging him could mean that he's either right for the system or we could get something for him instead of just letting him go.

ICE74129
03-30-2006, 09:35 AM
If Fletcher isn't gonna be the next Bennet, he's gone. Marv is gonna find his Bennet. He may plug in a Chris Spielman or find a Bryce Paup but he's gonna go with youth eventually. Fletcher is smart , but his body may not allow him to react the way a younger player would.

The jury is still out on Spikes' injury. Cowart was a beast. He was never the same after his injury. Only time will tell.

Who's to say JP isn't a leader? Moulds? Vets? Like I siad, vets have their own way of thinking. I will leave it up to the coaches to decide if he has what it takes to be our future qb. Not YOU.

Nate can still be around for the next 4-5 years. Under the right system, his best year are still ahead of him. Again, that's for the coaches to decide. Tagging him could mean that he's either right for the system or we could get something for him instead of just letting him go.

I think our bennett is spikes, should he come back even 90%. LB's will be addressed NEXT offseason. As will any remaining linemen we might need. I see this draft spent on the lines and drafting a QB in the 3rd round.

patmoran2006
03-30-2006, 09:37 AM
Why in the love of God would you waste a third-round pick on a QB who would be yet ANOTHER LONG TERM PROJECT?

patmoran2006
03-30-2006, 09:38 AM
Justa.

YOur opinion has merit. But if you're going 1990's Bills style.. If you have no Jim Kelly on your team, you have no Buffalo Bills.

If your using this as a model, and its a good model. You better go out and get Jay Cutler.

justasportsfan
03-30-2006, 09:39 AM
I think our bennett is spikes, should he come back even 90%. LB's will be addressed NEXT offseason. As will any remaining linemen we might need. I see this draft spent on the lines and drafting a QB in the 3rd round.I hope so on your Spikes comment. I'm hoping that an achilles injury is what an ACL injury is these days, No big deal. That however remains to be seen.

Imagine a lb core with Hawk, Spikes and Crowell.I disagree on a qb at 3rd rd. We have that in Nall. There's more value in drafting a OL in the 3rd than a qb at 3rd.

justasportsfan
03-30-2006, 09:42 AM
Justa.

YOur opinion has merit. But if you're going 1990's Bills style.. If you have no Jim Kelly on your team, you have no Buffalo Bills.

If your using this as a model, and its a good model. You better go out and get Jay Cutler. The upcoming volunteer work outs will determine that. Again, I'll leave that up to the coaches. Will all due respect, not you.

patmoran2006
03-30-2006, 09:43 AM
Yer trying to copy a Buffalo Bills 1990's team all over the field;

But instead of Jim Kelly at QB, you're stuck with Tony Eason and Todd Blackledge leading the team..

ICE74129
03-30-2006, 09:44 AM
I hope so on your Spikes comment. I'm hoping that an achilles injury is what an ACL injury is these days, No big deal. That however remains to be seen.

Imagine a lb core with Hawk, Spikes and Crowell.I disagree on a qb at 3rd rd. We have that in Nall. There's more value in drafting a OL in the 3rd than a qb at 3rd.

It's not about value, its about putting the best possible talent on the OL. If you can get the 2nd best tackle vs the 6th you take the 2nd best tackle.

Look Croyle is a damn good QB with proven exp against the top competition. If not for his old ACL and had Bama did better this season he would be talked about right there with the other 3.

I am going to say right now Marv levy will NOT spend a first round pick on a QB. Read his comments from the other day. He flat doesn't want one. It is too much pressure on the kid and the org to get him up to speed sooner than later. Draft a Croyle or Jacobs and let them sit for a year or two. By then the TEAM will be ready to support them like they did Rothlesburger in Pittsburgh.

justasportsfan
03-30-2006, 09:44 AM

But instead of Jim Kelly at QB, you're stuck with Tony Eason and Todd Blackledge leading the team.. Not necesarily the bills. Colts, Pats, Pitts. Same recipe.

ICE74129
03-30-2006, 09:45 AM
The upcoming volunteer work outs will determine that. Again, I'll leave that up to the coaches. Will all due respect, not you.

Some dont get Jim Kelly was in the USFL as it's top guy for 2 years before coming here. Somehow this FACT is greatly ignored. Jim Credits his coaches in the USFL and that two years for greatly helping him become the QB he was.

No USFL = No no huddle offense = No Superbowls/ HOF.

Night Train
03-30-2006, 09:47 AM
Or he's rebuilding the '78 Chiefs ! :D

ICE74129
03-30-2006, 09:47 AM
Not necesarily the bills. Colts, Pats, Pitts. Same recipe.

Build up the TEAM, insert a lower round pick QB that has sat, learned the system, gained the friendship and trust of his team mates. The rest takes care of it's self.

WAY too much being put on having a top QB. How many superbowls for the first over all pick Payton Manning? how about the 6th round pick Tom Brady? Nuff said.

Great posting today BTW Justa.

patmoran2006
03-30-2006, 09:49 AM
Some dont get Jim Kelly was in the USFL as it's top guy for 2 years before coming here. Somehow this FACT is greatly ignored. Jim Credits his coaches in the USFL and that two years for greatly helping him become the QB he was.

No USFL = No no huddle offense = No Superbowls/ HOF.
Who doesn't get that Jim Kelly wasnt in the USFL for two years?? What bills fan WOULDN't know that? And more importantly, what the hell does that have to do with anything?

patmoran2006
03-30-2006, 09:51 AM
Build up the TEAM, insert a lower round pick QB that has sat, learned the system, gained the friendship and trust of his team mates. The rest takes care of it's self.

WAY too much being put on having a top QB. How many superbowls for the first over all pick Payton Manning? how about the 6th round pick Tom Brady? Nuff said.

Great posting today BTW Justa.
Ummm.. Nevermind

justasportsfan
03-30-2006, 09:52 AM
It's not about value, its about putting the best possible talent on the OL. If you can get the 2nd best tackle vs the 6th you take the 2nd best tackle.

Look Croyle is a damn good QB with proven exp against the top competition. If not for his old ACL and had Bama did better this season he would be talked about right there with the other 3.

I am going to say right now Marv levy will NOT spend a first round pick on a QB. Read his comments from the other day. He flat doesn't want one. It is too much pressure on the kid and the org to get him up to speed sooner than later. Draft a Croyle or Jacobs and let them sit for a year or two. By then the TEAM will be ready to support them like they did Rothlesburger in Pittsburgh.I disagree. Van Pelt was one of the best qb's in college. Where did MArv draft him?

Either Nall is our Reich or our Kelly. I suspect he's Riech.

justasportsfan
03-30-2006, 09:54 AM
Build up the TEAM, insert a lower round pick QB that has sat, learned the system, gained the friendship and trust of his team mates. The rest takes care of it's self..Nall.

Great posting today BTW Justa.thanks.

patmoran2006
03-30-2006, 10:16 AM
Nall.

thanks.

You build a team around CRaig Nall that'll be lucky to win five games this year, and good luck selling 80,000 fans on Sunday with Craig Nall as the future.

patmoran2006
03-30-2006, 10:17 AM
I disagree. Van Pelt was one of the best qb's in college. Where did MArv draft him?

Either Nall is our Reich or our Kelly. I suspect he's Riech.
Im sorry.. I didnt see you say that comment. he is "Riech".. My apologies

justasportsfan
03-30-2006, 10:21 AM
Im sorry.. I didnt see you say that comment. he is "Riech".. My apologies
No problem. Hit me with some rep. On second thought, nevermind :D.

McBFLO
03-30-2006, 10:41 AM
Here is what I don't get, the hatered toward Nall. Apperantly the coaches/ Scouts see something in him. He fits the mold as for as what we want to do. The best news? We know they aren't handing this team to a 33 year old holcomb!
I agree. Before you jump all over Marv for signing Nall. Realize that it's Marv who wanted him here. He sees something in this guy that makes him think he can be successful. He can be the future for this team. Will he be? Only time will tell. But we KNOW that Holcomb isn't. So be thankful that he isn't going to be starting on opening day.

justasportsfan
03-30-2006, 10:45 AM
I agree. Before you jump all over Marv for signing Nall. Realize that it's Marv who wanted him here. He sees something in this guy that makes him think he can be successful. He can be the future for this team. Will he be? Only time will tell. But we KNOW that Holcomb isn't. So be thankful that he isn't going to be starting on opening day.

Holcomb is gone. Marv is going with youth.

McBFLO
03-30-2006, 10:46 AM

But instead of Jim Kelly at QB, you're stuck with Tony Eason and Todd Blackledge leading the team..
You just DON'T know that! Just like I don't know whether or not Nall will be successful. So neither of us can make any assumptions on him. Cutler sounds a little too much like Kyle Boller to me.

patmoran2006
03-30-2006, 10:53 AM
Just my opinon, but i'd be willing to take my chances with Cutler.. Or Young.

Ingtar33
03-30-2006, 01:27 PM
Cutler = Boller

no future there

justasportsfan
03-30-2006, 02:17 PM
Cutler = Boller

no future there
Young?

finsrclowns
03-30-2006, 02:48 PM

Fast forward to 2006.

I think that's the part we're missing. We didn't get honesty from Donahoe and it doesn't appear we're getting it with Marv. If Marv is giving up on JP it's because he isn't really willing to go through a true rebuilding process. It's rebuild but pretend we can win now. I think Holcomb will be the starter for that reason.

madness
03-30-2006, 02:57 PM
Marv is not stupid enough to put a rookie QB in there so please stop fooling yourselves. The position is too important to his philosphy. As much as you don't want to hear it, Nall has the tools to take the starting job into the season. He may have the natural athletic ability as JP but he is a 10x better decision maker. That's what Marv wants in his QB.

NFL Europe:
LEADING PASSERS Pct Avg Pct Pct Rating
Att Comp Comp Yds Gain TD TD Long Int Int Pts
C.Nall, Sco (GB) 258 151 58.5 2050 7.95 18 7.0 52 7 2.7 95.9

Pro:
Received his most extensive NFL playing time in regular-season finale at Chicago (Jan. 2) with the Packers already having clinched the NFC North title and no chance to better their seed in the playoffs … Entered Bears contest against a No. 1 defense six minutes into the second quarter, and finished 7 of 13 for 131 yards and one touchdown … Led Green Bay to a touchdown on his initial possession in win over Chicago, culminating the efficient five-play, 71-yard drive with a 25-yard pass to Javon Walker at the back of the end zone; had executed a tough, 27-yard throw to Ben Steele two plays earlier

justasportsfan
03-30-2006, 03:10 PM
Pro:
Received his most extensive NFL playing time in regular-season finale at Chicago (Jan. 2) with the Packers already having clinched the NFC North title and no chance to better their seed in the playoffs … Entered Bears contest against a No. 1 defense six minutes into the second quarter, and finished 7 of 13 for 131 yards and one touchdown … Led Green Bay to a touchdown on his initial possession in win over Chicago, culminating the efficient five-play, 71-yard drive with a 25-yard pass to Javon Walker at the back of the end zone; had executed a tough, 27-yard throw to Ben Steele two plays earliercan anyone find a video of his td drive. or somethin, anything?

Mr. Pink
03-30-2006, 03:42 PM
Cutler = Boller

no future there

<!--StartFragment --> Positives: Good size, speed and outstanding athletic ability for the position. Has a quick setup, a very strong arm and large hands. Can drill the outs and air the ball out. Took to the new offense very well and went from being a thrower with poor mechanics to a pitcher with solid mechanics. Is a good leader and a tough guy. Took a terrible beating his first three years and never quit. Very accurate from hash to sideline. Works hard and shows he will pay the price. Athletic but doesn't force issue with athleticism. Also has a 35½-inch vertical leap, and ran a 3.99 shuttle and 7.19 three-cone.

Negatives: Lacks great accuracy throwing down the field. May never be a high-percentage passer. Was asked to read only half the field in the offense. Played in a very QB-friendly offense that at times masked some of his shortcomings.

What QB does this sound like? JP Losman perhaps...Even though that fits him exactly to a T. But that's Kyle Bollers' scouting report out of college. So if Cutler=Boller with no future.....does that mean Cutler=Losman with no future?

And in first seasons playing as an NFL QB there is very little difference between JP and Kyle. Compare the stats between the two. Also take into account the Ravens in 2003 had no weapons to throw to as Losman had last season in Evans and Moulds.

In comparing the two....Starts JP 8 Boller 9 Passes thrown JP 228 Boller 224 completion percentage JP 49.6 Boller 51.8 TDs to INTs JP 8-8 Boller 7-9 Rating JP 64.9 Boller 62.4

Maybe, just maybe, Marv and/or someone else in the front office realizes this already and doesn't want to go through 2 more years of mediocrity stemming from the QB position like Baltimore has. But the people there are more knowledgable than me in this, AT LEAST I HOPE SO, so to say Losman is going to be exactly like Boller from here on out isn't 100% definitive. However, the two are very comparable when you go from scouting report and draft up and til the end of their first seasons.

So you sit there and compare Cutler to Boller....but as you can see from above, it's like comparing Cutler to JP also.

madness
03-30-2006, 04:41 PM
can anyone find a video of his td drive. or somethin, anything?
There's a video on his nfl europe team site. scroll down the right side and you will see his name. I don't know what it is since I don't have real player on my phone.

http://www.web62.com/scottishclaymores.html

justasportsfan
03-30-2006, 05:02 PM
There's a video on his nfl europe team site. scroll down the right side and you will see his name. I don't know what it is since I don't have real player on my phone.

http://www.web62.com/scottishclaymores.htmlthanks. There really wasn't much in it.

djjimkelly
03-30-2006, 05:03 PM

Fast forward to 2006.

:posrep:

u forgot 2 things he has his young kelly in losman and he has his reich in nall

justasportsfan
03-30-2006, 05:05 PM
:posrep:

u forgot 2 things he has his young kelly in losman and he has his reich in nallthat remains to be seen yet. We will find out after all the volunteer workouts, QB camp etc. That's when Marv and Dick can really take a closer look at JP and Nall.

ICE74129
03-30-2006, 05:05 PM
can anyone find a video of his td drive. or somethin, anything?

Why do you need video? The kid did well. I saw him play some and he looks pretty salty.

ICE74129
03-30-2006, 05:06 PM
that remains to be seen yet. We will find out after all the volunteer workouts, QB camp etc. That's when Marv and Dick can really take a closer look at JP and Nall.

I doubt JP Will be here

YardRat
03-30-2006, 06:33 PM
Apparently some of you are too young to even remember the times when half of WNY screamed for Reich to be the starter over Kelly.

It wasn't always a given for the fans that Kelly should be the starter...but it was for Marv.

Turf
03-30-2006, 07:18 PM
The problem with this thinking in what Marv is doing is that we still don't have those hang your hat on players. Where'e the Bruce Smith? Kelly? Thomas?
We have none of that.
What you're going to have is a team that looked like the Bills of the glory days without their star players and that isn't going to cut it.