View Full Version : Why JP Might not be our qb

justasportsfan
03-30-2006, 10:06 AM
The guy is mobile.

Marv's qbs.

Kelly, Todd Collins, AVP...... he just hired Nall

Fairchild... Bulger

Poilan... Manning

qb's that need a walker to get mobile but pocket passers. If JP can't become a pocket passer, he's gone. Same goes with Young. Cutler would be more of Marv's type of qb.

OpIv37
03-30-2006, 10:10 AM
Well, Marv's in for a challenge because pure pocket passers like Bledsoe and Kelly are dinosaurs in today's NFL. The defensive ends and linebackers are just too fast. Even guys like Manning and Brady, who are pocket passers, have some mobility. It's hard to find guys like that who can throw from the pocket and still have some ability to escape when necessary.

Brady Quinn anyone? I'd like to get him if JP still sucks this year, but I don't want to suffer through the disastrous type of season we'd need to be high enough in the draft to get him next year.

OpIv37
03-30-2006, 10:12 AM
oh and we still need an OL that can form a pocket. Our OL forms a collapsing building.

patmoran2006
03-30-2006, 10:14 AM
Well, Marv's in for a challenge because pure pocket passers like Bledsoe and Kelly are dinosaurs in today's NFL. The defensive ends and linebackers are just too fast. Even guys like Manning and Brady, who are pocket passers, have some mobility. It's hard to find guys like that who can throw from the pocket and still have some ability to escape when necessary.

Brady Quinn anyone? I'd like to get him if JP still sucks this year, but I don't want to suffer through the disastrous type of season we'd need to be high enough in the draft to get him next year.
Its looking that way bro.. Lets just say I will be paying A LOT more attention to Notre Dame games this season, not like I need any extra motivation for that.

Here's what bothers me a lot.. does EVERY thread and every post have to be a comparison to another team? Cant people no longer base their opinions as their OWN? I mean, EVERYTHING has turned into a NE, Colts, Pitt, Cowher, Brady comparison of sorts.. WE are NONE of those teams and we have NONE of those players or coaches.

Here's a thought.. How about screw Brady and Bulger.. and Let marv do things MARV's way.

ICE74129
03-30-2006, 10:16 AM
The guy is mobile.

Marv's qbs.

Kelly, Todd Collins, AVP...... he just hired Nall

Fairchild... Bulger

Poilan... Manning

qb's that need a walker to get mobile but pocket passers. If JP can't become a pocket passer, he's gone. Same goes with Young. Cutler would be more of Marv's type of qb.

See you hit on it pretty good. Marv is old school, Stand and deliver. Look at the probowl QB's / superbowl QB's. Not great mobility, but can move IN THE POCKET to avoid the rush (remember our QB coaches comments on that?). They can escape and get maybe 5-7 yards here and there.

What is forgotten in this madden Generation is the fact how well you read a defense, and THROW the Ball is still what makes you a great QB. Even Jake Plummer will stay more in the pocket than he used to. Look at the improvement this year.

Again I will stand by my belief, Marv and Modrak are doing this the right way.

ICE74129
03-30-2006, 10:16 AM
oh and we still need an OL that can form a pocket. Our OL forms a collapsing building.

Which is why our first pick will most likely be Ol, the 2nd DT the 3rd and 4th OL.

justasportsfan
03-30-2006, 10:17 AM

this is why I like JP. My favorite qb of all time is Montana. He's no scrambler but he was mobile. Same goes with Steve Young , Bradshaw, Farve and now Ben.

Pocket passers like Marino, Kelly, Manning haven't won a sb compared to the mobile qb's I mentioned unless you have a D like the ravens who had Dilfer.

justasportsfan
03-30-2006, 10:18 AM
oh and we still need an OL that can form a pocket. Our OL forms a collapsing building.Realx, it's in the process of being built.

OpIv37
03-30-2006, 10:21 AM
this is why I like JP. My favorite qb of all time is Montana. He's no scrambler but he was mobile. Same goes with Steve Young , Bradshaw, Farve and now Ben.

Pocket passers like Marino, Kelly, Manning haven't won a sb compared to the mobile qb's I mentioned unless you have a D like the ravens who had Dilfer.

JP has the arm to be that type of QB, but it just depends if he can learn to read defenses and overcome that "run first" instinct he developed at Tulane.

OpIv37
03-30-2006, 10:22 AM
Realx, it's in the process of being built.

Well I'll believe that after the draft. I'm taking your advice- all we can do is wait and see.

justasportsfan
03-30-2006, 10:24 AM
JP has the arm to be that type of QB, but it just depends if he can learn to read defenses and overcome that "run first" instinct he developed at Tulane.
Oh crap. we agree?

justasportsfan
03-30-2006, 10:25 AM
Well I'll believe that after the draft. I'm taking your advice- all we can do is wait and see. we have no choice :snicker:

McBFLO
03-30-2006, 10:33 AM
Best post on this thread so far. JP has ALL the physical tools to be a very successful QB. He just needs to slow down a little bit (poise goes a LONG WAY, just ask Tom Brady) and learn to read the defenses a little bit better, which in time I think he'll be able to do. It just may not be with this team, unfortunately.

ICE74129
03-30-2006, 10:40 AM
Best post on this thread so far. JP has ALL the physical tools to be a very successful QB. He just needs to slow down a little bit (poise goes a LONG WAY, just ask Tom Brady) and learn to read the defenses a little bit better, which in time I think he'll be able to do. It just may not be with this team, unfortunately.

Ryan Leaf had all the physical tools. Tom brady doesn't have near the pure talent Leaf had, but has 3 rings.

justasportsfan
03-30-2006, 10:43 AM
Ryan Leaf had all the physical tools. Tom brady doesn't have near the pure talent Leaf had, but has 3 rings. That's why he's saying Jp nees to slow down and learn that way he may eventually have Brady's brain.

ICE74129
03-30-2006, 10:45 AM
That's why he's saying Jp nees to slow down and learn that way he may eventually have Brady's brain.

They aren't going to wait and find out. Apperantly something they have seen the last two weeks from them have convinced them he really isnt' the guy.

Who knows. Maybe he showed back up and said why bother?

Philagape
03-30-2006, 11:10 AM
Talent being equal, a mobile QB will always have an advantage, being able to escape a rush and make a play last longer, opening up more possibilities.
Plus, a scrambler can be taught to stay in the pocket, but you can't make a statue run. We of all fans should know that.

Bill Cody
03-30-2006, 11:16 AM
That's why he's saying Jp nees to slow down and learn that way he may eventually have Brady's brain.

JP's going to grow a brain?:bullseye:

Iehoshua
03-30-2006, 11:36 AM
JP's going to grow a brain?:bullseye:
JP or no JP, it's time to remove your skull from Drew Bledsoe's rectum.
:up:

DraftBoy
03-30-2006, 11:45 AM
I gotta say of the top 3 QB's I see Young as more of Marv's guy. He's not a scrambler but he can run when is needed. At Texas he was given many more oppurtunities but the kid prefers to stay in the pocket and throw the ball. He has a good NFL arm, its not Bledsoe arm but its a comparable one to Kelly. He is a gamer, he has heart and he knows how to win. Off the field I have questions but on the field nobody can question his skill. Personally Im for this type of draft scenario;

1. Michael Huff
2. Charles Spencer
3a. Andrew Whitworth
3b. Orien Harris
4. Danieal Manning
5. Tavaris Jackson

But thats just me...That would also mean maybe JP staying for a year or two or giving Nall the job and letting Jackson develop. I just think that Jackson may be the steal of this draft.

ICE74129
03-30-2006, 11:47 AM
I gotta say of the top 3 QB's I see Young as more of Marv's guy. He's not a scrambler but he can run when is needed. At Texas he was given many more oppurtunities but the kid prefers to stay in the pocket and throw the ball. He has a good NFL arm, its not Bledsoe arm but its a comparable one to Kelly. He is a gamer, he has heart and he knows how to win. Off the field I have questions but on the field nobody can question his skill. Personally Im for this type of draft scenario;

1. Michael Huff
2. Charles Spencer
3a. Andrew Whitworth
3b. Orien Harris
4. Danieal Manning
5. Tavaris Jackson

But thats just me...That would also mean maybe JP staying for a year or two or giving Nall the job and letting Jackson develop. I just think that Jackson may be the steal of this draft.

I am going to say address the lines first and formost. No to Huff. No CB/ Safety is going to put us over the top and we have plenty of talent there.

Use the JP situation to trade down a couple, take Winston or Justice.