PDA

View Full Version : Article: Super & Pro Bowl QB's

patmoran2006
03-30-2006, 10:37 AM
http://bills.scout.com/2/513468.html

A heads-up: (this is from last week)
This is NOT a suggestive peice.. I am NOT suggesting the Bills cut/trade JP Losman.. I am NOT suggesting they draft anyone.. It is a FACT-based peice, not opinionated..

A lot of people think you can just build an OL and your team will be great with any quarterback... To an extent, this is true.. However, I didnt base this on opinion, its FACt.. And here are some FACTS:

* 75% (15 of 20) of the time over the past 10 years, a team that went to the Super Bowl had their QB make the Pro Bowl the same season.

* 95% (19 for 20) of the time over the past 10 years, a team that went to the SB has seen their QB play in at least ONE pro bowl, with 18 of those 19 coming that year or PRIOR to making the SB.

Just read on.. Some pretty interesting numbers here. It's only a fact-based peice, not opinion-laced.

Gunzlingr
03-30-2006, 11:11 AM
25% of of the time over the past 10 years, a team that went to the superbowl didn't have their QB make the Probowl the same year.

patmoran2006
03-30-2006, 11:13 AM
LOL, you're good at Math.

Okay and 40% of that 25% of the time, its ONLY because that QB was injured and missed multiple games (Roth, McNair)

LOL

Philagape
03-30-2006, 11:16 AM
There sure aren't any Pro Bowl QBs anywhere on our radar. :sigh:

patmoran2006
03-30-2006, 11:18 AM
THat's debatable.

Philagape
03-30-2006, 11:21 AM
Nall or JP or a rookie? If we expand the realm of possibility to them, then we can for 50 other QBs too.

Ingtar33
03-30-2006, 01:23 PM
and having a pro-bowl qb doesn't mean a team will get to a superbowl.

Every Year there are 6 probowl QBs... that means having a (current season) probowl QB gives you only a 24.75% chance of making the superbowl. I'd rather hang my hat on dominent d-line and o-line play.

At the worse that will get you to the playoffs every year. And to be honest, if you can't get to the playoffs you can't win the superbowl... and we've not sniffed the playoffs since 99.

TedMock
03-30-2006, 01:50 PM
These are worthless facts. You could just as easily point to the lines and say that the protection they provide is the reason the QB's are in the pro-bowl. That I'd imagine is the more likely scenario. Brady is a great QB no matter how you slice it. He has no mobility, but his intelligence along with very good protection allows him to succeed. A lot of the others aren't Tom Brady. Hasselback? Decent, but not great. Noodle arm. Delhomme was backing up Aaron Brooks in NOLA. Roethlisberger? Easily the best line in football. I'm not taking anything from these guys, they're all good leaders. But stats can be twisted any which way. There have been a lot more pro-bowlers than Superbowl winners in history.

ICE74129
03-30-2006, 02:24 PM
These are worthless facts. You could just as easily point to the lines and say that the protection they provide is the reason the QB's are in the pro-bowl. That I'd imagine is the more likely scenario. Brady is a great QB no matter how you slice it. He has no mobility, but his intelligence along with very good protection allows him to succeed. A lot of the others aren't Tom Brady. Hasselback? Decent, but not great. Noodle arm. Delhomme was backing up Aaron Brooks in NOLA. Roethlisberger? Easily the best line in football. I'm not taking anything from these guys, they're all good leaders. But stats can be twisted any which way. There have been a lot more pro-bowlers than Superbowl winners in history.

Outstanding post. You nailed it!