PDA

View Full Version : Moulds Trade About To Happen

Night Train
03-30-2006, 11:15 AM
Trade talks regarding Moulds heating up

<HR width="100%" noShade SIZE=1>By John Clayton
ESPN.com

Talks between the Bills and two teams are heating up to a point that an Eric Moulds (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=3510) trade could happen as early as Thursday.

<!--------------------------START PLAYER CARD------------------><TABLE class=tableheadFixWidth cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width=200 align=right><TBODY><TR class=stathead><TD class=whitelink colSpan=2>Eric Moulds (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=3510)</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>http://espn.go.com/i/nfl/profiles/players/statsid/s3510.jpgWide Receiver
Buffalo Bills

Profile (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=3510)</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD align=middle><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width=190 bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR class=stathead align=middle><TD align=middle colSpan=6>2005 SEASON STATISTICS</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #bcbcb4" align=right><TD width="17%">Rec</TD><TD width="17%">Yds</TD><TD width="17%">TD</TD><TD width="17%">Avg</TD><TD width="17%">Long</TD><TD width="17%">YAC</TD></TR><TR align=right bgColor=#999999><TD>81</TD><TD>816</TD><TD>4</TD><TD>10.1</TD><TD>55</TD><TD>229</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!---------------------INLINE MINI-PLAYER CARD ENDS HERE--------------------->

The Texans and Eagles appear to have the lead and both teams are expecting quick decisions.

Bills general manager Marv Levy has talked with Moulds and even though he wants him to take a pay cut and stay, he's willing to part ways with the wide receiver in a trade.

Moulds will have to restructure his contract for the new teams and that doesn't appear to be a problem. He will probably make about $8 million over the first two years of a new deal, similar to what Keyshawn Johnson (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=3499) received from the Carolina Panthers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=car).

Moulds, a 10-year veteran and the Bills' senior player, has two years left on his contract, but was scheduled to count about $10.8 million against the salary cap next year. The Bills deem that figure too expensive but have failed in their bid to have the receiver restructure his contract.

Moulds, who is scheduled to make $7.1 million next season, has rejected the Bills' demands, believing there are other teams willing to match the salary. Buffalo would save about $5.5 million in salary cap space by releasing Moulds.

Moulds was Buffalo's first-round pick in the 1996 draft and has been a full-time starter since his third season. In 154 games, he has 675 catches for 9,096 yards and 48 touchdowns. Only Andre Reed (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=37) has more catches (941) and yards (13,095) among Bills receivers.

patmoran2006
03-30-2006, 11:18 AM
4th round pick would be ideal at this point.

BillsNick
03-30-2006, 11:25 AM
Git r done

lordofgun
03-30-2006, 11:26 AM
I don't like giving him up for only a 4th rounder. He's worth WAY more than that, IMO.

Bmax
03-30-2006, 11:27 AM
oops you guys posted before me....

Bmax

Patrick76777
03-30-2006, 11:29 AM
I don't like giving him up for only a 4th rounder. He's worth WAY more than that, IMO.

I don't see why we just don't pay him! All the FA's are gone. Where else are we going to spend the money?

Jersey1031
03-30-2006, 11:30 AM

I don't like it either, but he doesn't want to be here anymore...

Iehoshua
03-30-2006, 11:31 AM
In this day and age of the NFL, if you are trading a player for draft picks, especially a disgruntled one over age 30, you're never going to get equal value. Just isn't happening...

ICE74129
03-30-2006, 11:31 AM
I don't see why we just don't pay him! All the FA's are gone. Where else are we going to spend the money?

June first cuts, Last minute cuts, Possible trades, Maybe we move up in the draft. Then again what is wrong with going into camp with say 6 mill available? Add it to next years estimated amount under the cap and we are looking at about 21 mill to address the last few pieces of this team.

Gunzlingr
03-30-2006, 11:32 AM
Sorry, he isn't worth $7 mill, no matter how much I like him.

ICE74129
03-30-2006, 11:32 AM

first pick of the 2nd day is one hell of a pick to have. But then again the Texans have the #1 and #2 picks in the 3rd round. Maybe it is moulds and our 5th for one of those?

Jersey1031
03-30-2006, 11:33 AM

that's what im saying, where's the money need to go??

Mr. Pink
03-30-2006, 11:35 AM
that's what im saying, where's the money need to go??

Locking up Peters on a real tackles' contract amount before he becomes an RFA after the season and some team, like the Skins, offers him so much money we can't match it. Or signing Fletch to an extension so we don't have to worry about resigning him in the next offseason. Those would be two good starts for now.

chernobylwraiths
03-30-2006, 11:36 AM
He says that somebody will pay him that salary, Bills want him to take less, he will be traded and make less. :idunno:

ICE74129
03-30-2006, 11:40 AM
Locking up Peters on a real tackles' contract amount before he becomes an RFA after the season and some team, like the Skins, offers him so much money we can't match it. Or signing Fletch to an extension so we don't have to worry about resigning him in the next offseason. Those would be two good starts for now.

One Caviot... I don't think the Bills see Peters as a LT. All the talk of Justice etc and the fact we brought in the guy from the jets leads me to believe LT may be our first pick.

Peters might do well at RT, but what if he feels he is a LT and wants LT money? Nothing we can do about that.

Mr. Miyagi
03-30-2006, 11:42 AM
I'd rather trade him, get an extra pick, save on cap, and spend that money to lock up Nate Clements for good. Elite CBs are a lot harder to find than elite WRs.

ICE74129
03-30-2006, 11:43 AM
I'd rather trade him, get an extra pick, save on cap, and spend that money to lock up Nate Clements for good. Elite CBs are a lot harder to find than elite WRs.

Ah but is nate worth 7-8 mill per year? That is what HE thinks he is worth. I personally don't think ANY CB is worth that.

Mr. Pink
03-30-2006, 11:43 AM
One Caviot... I don't think the Bills see Peters as a LT. All the talk of Justice etc and the fact we brought in the guy from the jets leads me to believe LT may be our first pick.

Peters might do well at RT, but what if he feels he is a LT and wants LT money? Nothing we can do about that.

Well if we go after an LT in the draft then we know Peters will be the RT. Then the front office can structure a contract based as such, seeing we all know that the tackle that protects the QBs blind side is not necessarily the more important tackle, I believe both are equally important, but they are the higher paid tackle.

ICE74129
03-30-2006, 11:45 AM
Well if we go after an LT in the draft then we know Peters will be the RT. Then the front office can structure a contract based as such, seeing we all know that the tackle that protects the QBs blind side is not necessarily the more important tackle, I believe both are equally important, but they are the higher paid tackle.

I hope we address LT once and for all. Lock Peters in at RT and we can let that situation lie for 5 years or so.

Devin
03-30-2006, 12:03 PM
Yeah the money certainly wont go to wase, we have both Peters and Nate to deal with along with Willis impending new deal........trust me it will get spent.

OpIv37
03-30-2006, 12:08 PM
Yeah the money certainly wont go to wase, we have both Peters and Nate to deal with along with Willis impending new deal........trust me it will get spent.

I just hope they do some of this **** this offseason rather than waiting for them to test the market.

We can't lock up Peters or Willis but we can give Ryan Denney 8 million and Josh Reed 10 million? WTF?

We're probably better off waiting on Nate- if we sign him now we'll overpay. If he has another season like 05, he'll be MUCH cheaper to re-sign after the season.

Devin
03-30-2006, 12:11 PM
im a spiteful bastard id franchise him another year or two then let him go.

OpIv37
03-30-2006, 12:14 PM
BTW stellar reporting here- they don't even mention what the Bills might get in exchange.

BillsNick
03-30-2006, 12:30 PM
I think we're getting McNabb. :snicker2:

OpIv37
03-30-2006, 12:32 PM
I think we're getting McNabb. :snicker2:

now that would be the biggest coup in NFL history.

I think the trade was with Houston . But then there would be no need for Moulds- it would be more like "If you take David Car, we'll give you Dominick Davis- just PLEASE get Carr the hell out of here!"

Saratoga Slim
03-30-2006, 12:35 PM
first pick of the 2nd day is one hell of a pick to have. But then again the Texans have the #1 and #2 picks in the 3rd round. Maybe it is moulds and our 5th for one of those?

dude, that sounds real good to me.

HHURRICANE
03-30-2006, 01:12 PM
June first cuts, Last minute cuts, Possible trades, Maybe we move up in the draft. Then again what is wrong with going into camp with say 6 mill available? Add it to next years estimated amount under the cap and we are looking at about 21 mill to address the last few pieces of this team.

By trading Moulds don't we clear a full 10 million in cap space? it makes me wonder why we didn't get more aggressive in FA. Maybe we are signing a rookie QB!!

gil
03-30-2006, 01:26 PM
By trading Moulds don't we clear a full 10 million in cap space? it makes me wonder why we didn't get more aggressive in FA. Maybe we are signing a rookie QB!!

I think we still get the same cap hit (or savings) as if we had just cut him.

HHURRICANE
03-30-2006, 01:30 PM
I think we still get the same cap hit (or savings) as if we had just cut him.

Is this a guess or are you sure? Why would we get a cap hit if he is traded? We wouldn't have to prorate any of his contract either. I just want an answer because I know if we cut him we saved 5million, but took a hit of 5 million. Now I'm thinking we have 10 million to play with!!

gil
03-30-2006, 01:37 PM
Is this a guess or are you sure? Why would we get a cap hit if he is traded? We wouldn't have to prorate any of his contract either. I just want an answer because I know if we cut him we saved 5million, but took a hit of 5 million. Now I'm thinking we have 10 million to play with!!

sorry, took me a sec to look it up, I remembered being surprised we still got a cap hit - from NFL.com:

"Releasing or trading Moulds would save the Bills at least $5.5 million in cap space. Buffalo would likely settle for a fourth-round pick or higher in a deal for Moulds."

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/BUF/9341510

Marvelous
03-30-2006, 01:37 PM
I hate Philly and dislike the NFC.

hydro014
03-30-2006, 02:49 PM
I was just listening to Sirius and they believe that we might even get a 3rd rounder for him. Phi and Hou both want moulds bad. The only problem is they said Hou most likely wont give up one of there 3rds because its to early, but philly might. i think another 3rd would be huge, especially in this draft which is strong on the lines.

HHURRICANE
03-30-2006, 03:39 PM
sorry, took me a sec to look it up, I remembered being surprised we still got a cap hit - from NFL.com:

"Releasing or trading Moulds would save the Bills at least $5.5 million in cap space. Buffalo would likely settle for a fourth-round pick or higher in a deal for Moulds."

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/BUF/9341510

Thanks dude! :posrep: