PDA

View Full Version : Friday Mornings Buffalo News Summarizes Moulds Deal

Night Train
03-31-2006, 04:35 AM
Much if it from Bills beat reporter Mark Gaughan confirms what was already said yesterday.

1. Moulds agrees to terms with Houston
2. Philly out of the picture.
3. Terms - 4 years 14 mil - 5 Mil signing bonus
4. Houston trying to offer only a 5th - Bills will not budge from a 4th.
5. Deal probably won't get done until next week or whenever Casserly decides to finally give the Bills the 4th rounder. He'd look like a-hole if he didn't.
6. Bills currently 9 Mil under the cap. When Moulds leaves - 14.5 Mil under.

With 14.5 Mil and basically crap left in FA, it looks like a good time to get Willis and Nate signed up for several years each, wouldn't you say ?

Bill Brasky
03-31-2006, 04:40 AM
Much if it from Bills beat reporter Mark Gaughan confirms what was already said yesterday.

1. Moulds agrees to terms with Houston
2. Philly out of the picture.
4. Houston trying to offer only a 5th - Bills will not budge from a 4th.
5. Deal probably won't get done until next week or whenever Casserly decides to finally give the Bills the 4th rounder. He'd look like a-hole if he didn't.
6. Bills currently 9 Mil under the cap. When Moulds leaves - 14.5 Mil under.

With 14.5 Mil and basically crap left in FA, it looks like a good time to get Willis and Nate signed up for several years each, wouldn't you say ?
:rofl:

I used to consider Moulds my favorite player... but 4 years and 19 Million including his bonus? That doesn't even equate to 5 Million a year. What a f'n moron... when he was set to make 10 here and the F.O. wanted to keep him for anywhere from 5-7...

Yeah, I guess they could lock up Nate and Willis... might as well assure them that they are poised to rot their entire careers here as well until they pull a Moulds on us...

But IMO, no matter how far under the cap the Bills are, I don't see Willis staying here much longer.

Night Train
03-31-2006, 04:45 AM
Yeah. That's why McGahee just bought a huge house in Orchard Park and is heard often saying how much he likes it here. :rofl:

Keep perpetuating the blind hysteria.

Bill Brasky
03-31-2006, 04:54 AM
Yeah. That's why McGahee just bought a huge house in Orchard Park and is heard often saying how much he likes it here. :rofl:

He makes how many millions each year? I don't think it was too hard for him to buy a house in the Buffalo market... nor would it be hard for him to just pack up and leave.

Just because he bought a house in OP doesn't mean he's staying long term.

Of course he says he "likes it here", that's what every athlete says... why would he be such an idiot as to say "I hate it here, Buffalo sucks"

John Doe
03-31-2006, 05:45 AM
But IMO, no matter how far under the cap the Bills are, I don't see Willis staying here much longer.

Just because he bought a house in OP doesn't mean he's staying long term.

Of course he says he "likes it here", that's what every athlete says... why would he be such an idiot as to say "I hate it here, Buffalo sucks"

He would say that he hates it here if he wanted to leave. He would not say it if he wanted to stay.

YardRat
03-31-2006, 05:52 AM
'Locking up' Willis and Nate means absolutely nothing. Two years down the road they could pull the same stuff Moulds is...pocket a huge signing bonus from Ralph at the beginning of the contract, whine until you get traded for little or nothing, then pocket more up-front money from a team that you forced a trade to.

Management just keeps getting screwed over and over.

Night Train
03-31-2006, 06:32 AM
'Locking up' Willis and Nate means absolutely nothing. Two years down the road they could pull the same stuff Moulds is...pocket a huge signing bonus from Ralph at the beginning of the contract, whine until you get traded for little or nothing, then pocket more up-front money from a team that you forced a trade to.

No. They'll wait until they're 32 and on the decline before doing that.

Historian
03-31-2006, 06:51 AM

That's still only about 8 mil for the 2006 season....a far cry from the 11 he was to make here.

And for what?

To go to the worst team in the league?

That's funny.

Tatonka
03-31-2006, 06:56 AM
guys.. the 14 million INCLUDES the signing bonus..

5 mill SB
9 mill left over divided over 4 years = 2.25 mill a year average.

that is why i was so pissed off.

we offered him 4.5 mill a year in a pay cut.. and he said he would never take that.. but clearly, he is.

dannyek71
03-31-2006, 07:02 AM

I agree. Seems to be a warm weather type of back. Hates the cold almost as much as roscoe.

Historian
03-31-2006, 07:10 AM

5 mill SB

we offered him 4.5 mill a year in a pay cut.. and he said he would never take that.. but clearly, he is.

Ok...Gotcha.

That's even worse.

Ebenezer
03-31-2006, 07:11 AM
He makes how many millions each year?

Actually, even though he counts against the cap more than a million he will make less than a million each of the next two years (depending on bonus money).

Michael82
03-31-2006, 07:17 AM

5 mill SB

Oh damn, Now I'm really pissed too. ICE was right. Eric really hated it here and didn't want to be here anymore. He can go to hell.

Bye Eric! :bigwave: Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out! :mad:

BillsNick
03-31-2006, 07:17 AM
Moulds is an idiot. Yeah, so I won't take a paycut here.......but I'll go to an even crapier team, and take a gigantic paycut. Ha I'll show you!! jerkoff

That pisses me off. Rot in Houston.

TigerJ
03-31-2006, 08:02 AM
That's still only about 8 mil for the 2006 season....a far cry from the 11 he was to make here.

And for what?

To go to the worst team in the league?

That's funny.

Um, the Bills wanted him to take a pay cut. I'm not feeling very sympathetic towards Moulds, but there was no way he was going to make in Buffalo what his contract specified.

ICE74129
03-31-2006, 08:04 AM
ICE was right.

I'm sorry....can you repeat that? :D

Michael82
03-31-2006, 08:24 AM
I'm sorry....can you repeat that? :D
No. But I can say this.....

SOONERS SUCK! :snicker:

:ontome:

tampabay25690
03-31-2006, 08:53 AM
Oh damn, Now I'm really pissed too. ICE was right. Eric really hated it here and didn't want to be here anymore. He can go to hell.

Yea but do you blame Eric the Bills have been in such a roller coaster for the past 5 seasons new coaches, new QB's. I would be pissed too.....I wish Eric luck he will always be a Buffalo Bill in my eyes, even know it is sad to see him go.........

HHURRICANE
03-31-2006, 09:01 AM

Dude he paid $750,000 for it. It's not like he's locked in Orchard Park. My house is more than that in Atlanta. Buffalo is pretty cheap to live in and easy to get out of.

I would tie up Clements for sure but not Willis. He hasn't shown me much. If has a great year than we franchise him. Not a big deal and smart to do when it comes to running backs that have a short shelf life. Shaun Alexander is a perfect example of this and it usually works out.

HHURRICANE
03-31-2006, 09:05 AM

You know I got negged to death over this subject at Christmas time. However, and in fairness to everybody, Eric and the Bills need a new start. I'm glad for the Bills and Eric. I can't blame him and the Texans look more poised to improve than us.

Devin, I was right about Eric!!!

LifetimeBillsFan
03-31-2006, 01:20 PM

5 mill SB

You guys are all missing the point when it comes to the money--it's all about the signing bonus....

Moulds and his people know that he only has two, at the outside, 3 productive years left in his career.

He was scheduled to make $ 7.2 million this season with Buffalo in salary and bonuses. The Bills had made it clear that they weren't going to pay him that much to stay, but, just for argument's sake, let's assume that they did agree to pay him that much. Then, what? His cap hit next year for the Bills would be 8.9 million. If he had another bad season or was not the focal point of the offense (as would likely be the case), it is unlikely that the Bills would keep him and they probably wouldn't keep him at that price anyway. That would put him out into a thinner market for free agent wide receivers a year older than he is now and probably with another less than stellar season on his resume. It is doubtful that any other team would be willing to pay all that much for him next year under those conditions. While he might catch on with a contender, it would likely be at a bargain basement price, if at all.

By going to Houston, Moulds gets $ 5 million in signing bonus money up-front. Plus, if he receives that average of the four years on his contract in the first year--possibly, possibly not--another $ 2.25 million. That would be more than he would get from Buffalo if he stayed. But, even if he got less than the average of the deal this year in salary, it would still be more than the $ 4.5 million that the Bills want to pay him.

If Moulds has a good year and stays in Houston next year, he won't make out quite as well in terms of the average of his salary and bonus, but he will still make a guaranteed $ 9.5 million--with $ 5 million coming up-front--in Houston. That would be at least equal to or greater than what he would get from the Bills in a restructured deal that would pay him $ 4.5 million this season and, again, the bonus money--the only guaranteed money--would also likely be greater than the Bills would want to pay. And, a good year in Houston, with the offense that they are building with A.Johnson, D.Carr, R.Bush, D.Davis, etc. might be enough to earn Moulds additional playoff money this year or next--something that he probably sees as being very unlikely to be the case if he were to stay in Buffalo. If Moulds has a bad season with Houston this year and they get rid of him before next season, he will be in no worse shape than if he stayed with the Bills.

Two years from now, Moulds will be 35. He will probably be thinking about retiring at that point. If he isn't, there really isn't much of a market for 35 year old wide receivers out there--unless they have just had a couple of terrific seasons, which Moulds probably figures isn't likely to happen if he stays in Buffalo. It is unlikely that the Bills would want to keep Moulds at that point if his contract or cap hit were for $ 4.5 million, so he would be out of a job and hardly be in a position to get a new one that would pay much. The same would be the case if he were to have so-so seasons for Houston, but, with a potentially more stable QB situation (at least in the first year), he might be able to put up good enough numbers to attract a better offer if the Texans were to cut him loose. And, if he has a couple of good seasons in Houston, he can't lose: either he will make more in bonus and playoff money or he can ask to renegotiate based on his improved numbers while with the team and will be in a better position to get a contract elsewhere if the Texans refuse to accomodate him.

It's all about the money--not the total package--but the up-front money. The money that Houston is willing to give Moulds amounts to at least as much, if not more, than the Bills are willing to give him over the course of the first two years of the contract, which are the critical years of the deal for Moulds (although it is close). And, if he decides to play beyond those two years, playing in the Houston offense is more likely to leave Moulds in a better position to negotiate for more money at that point than staying in Buffalo would leave him in.

You've got to give Moulds and his agents this much--they aren't stupid. They are getting Moulds more money from Houston than Buffalo is willing to pay, so, if he has to play for a loser, at least he will get paid and be in a better position to get a job down the road. If a contending team wants to come along and make an offer, they can afford to take a little less based on the greater likelihood that Moulds can make up the difference in playoff money and additional performance bonuses. Either way, he will be better off than if he stays with the Bills at this point in his career, given the state of the team and its chances to have an offense that will benefit Moulds and make the playoffs over the next two seasons.

Mr. Pink
03-31-2006, 03:59 PM
Moulds is an idiot. Yeah, so I won't take a paycut here.......but I'll go to an even crapier team, and take a gigantic paycut. Ha I'll show you!! jerkoff

That pisses me off. Rot in Houston.

It's really debatable to say which team is better and which team is worse at this juncture. Both teams probably will be within a couple of games of each other after all is said and done. The sh**** part is, Moulds isn't leaving to go to a contender if this is the deal that gets done. Lets face if he were going to be going to Philly, NE, Den, Pitt or such we'd all be like "ok, the guy finally wants to win something." Even if he took a larger paycut to go there than what we offered.

The problem is he's going to a team that's really no better nor no worse than us. Another rebuilding team that's going to be picking in the top 10. AND he's taking a paycut to do. That's what irks me the most of the whole situation, well that and the fact we really have nobody to step up and be the new number 2 on the roster when he's gone.

Although, I can't sit here and say that I hope he rots in Houston, gets hurt, whatever. He put together a nice little career here, showed up sunday after sunday and gave his all for this team besides the Miami game obviously. But why should 1 game out of 9 years dictate how we feel about him? He clearly was an asset to this team and a guy who wanted to win. Then again half the people around here despised Hasek when he left and he was the main reason the Sabres were good and had the Cup run. So I guess it's to be expected.

RedEyE
03-31-2006, 04:03 PM
I wouldn't pay Willis an extra dime until he after this season. He had better explode through the line.

Dozerdog
04-01-2006, 01:53 PM

5 mill SB

Moulds still gets more guaranteed money out of the Texans deal.

5 Million guaranteed , and they will keep him on the roster for at least two years (another 4.5 million) -

If he took the Bills deal, he's probably cut in 2007. So Moulds sees it as a near guarantee of 9 million, against about half that here

acehole
04-01-2006, 02:07 PM
locking up Nate and willis...and even Arron Shobel would be wise to do now...especially since there is nobody to go after hard....you would be set in the secondary for 4-5 years....with the young dline linemen coming in this year....you wont have to worry about that for a bit....and then you can build an offense around willis vs a qb....power running and such...me likes.

Dozerdog
04-01-2006, 02:10 PM
I think the most overpaid guys in free agency this year were OLine guys.

Draft them (in a year deep with OL) and you have a stable corps without blowing a lot of money.

Use the money on Clements and retaining our good younger players

ICE74129
04-01-2006, 02:20 PM
I think the most overpaid guys in free agency this year were OLine guys.

Draft them (in a year deep with OL) and you have a stable corps without blowing a lot of money.

Use the money on Clements and retaining our good younger players

Hell yeah! Trade down with someone wanting a QB at #8. Take Justice or Winston to play LT for us. First pick of the 2nd round take a DT, 2nd pick of the 2nd round take a LG. That still leaves 2 3rd round picks and maybe 2 4th rounders (moulds trade) to further address needs.

ICE74129
04-01-2006, 02:22 PM
locking up Nate and willis...and even Arron Shobel would be wise to do now...especially since there is nobody to go after hard....you would be set in the secondary for 4-5 years....with the young dline linemen coming in this year....you wont have to worry about that for a bit....and then you can build an offense around willis vs a qb....power running and such...me likes.

Schobel was extended last offseason. Clements issue is he thinks he is a 7 mill per year guy and wants a SB like Champ Bailey got (18 mill I think?) 1) ralph won't pay it..rightfully so and 2) NO CB in the league is worth it.

acehole
04-01-2006, 02:35 PM
I have also heard that if the bills knew the cba was going to raise Nate $$ they would have never done it....I would be nice for him to go vs JP for picks(S)...in this draft I wouls take a #2 this year # 2 next for Nate.

Dozerdog
04-01-2006, 02:41 PM
I have also heard that if the bills knew the cba was going to raise Nate $$ they would have never done it....I would be nice for him to go vs JP for picks(S)...in this draft I wouls take a #2 this year # 2 next for Nate.If that were the case, why didn't they just recind the tag?

They could have changed their minds