PDA

View Full Version : Drury interview

Bill Brasky
03-31-2006, 05:03 AM
Buccigross: You guys are scuffling. What's the problem?

Drury: A little bit of everything. For some reason, once we lost two in a row, we got a little tense. We are not making the plays and lacking a little confidence from everyone.

Q:Putting aside this recent slump, why have the Sabres had such a good season?

A: Initially, we were getting unbelievable goaltending, and goaltending might be the most important position in all of sports. So when you have that going for you, it allows you to play with confidence. Our good play has largely been the byproduct of great goaltending. It allows us to play with more aggression. I said it back in January when we lost two straight in Western Canada to Calgary and Vancouver; there comes a time in the season when teams turn it up a notch and we have to be ready for that.

Q: How would you rate your season individually?

A: I'm my own worst critic, but I think overall, I've been pretty steady. Steady is about as far as I'll go when I self-evaluate.

Q: You are in the top 10 in faceoffs. Why are you good at faceoffs?
A: A lot of it is confidence. I really don't do anything fancy. I think every team knows I just go in on my backhand no matter where the draw is. I don't think I'm surprising anyone. My timing has been good this year. Also, there are a lot of neutral draws, and if your wingers are paying attention and quick, they can win you a lot of those neutral draws.

Q: You guys are going to make the playoffs. As the playoffs approach, you as a Stanley Cup winner, what is important for the team as the playoffs near?

A: Initially, the most important thing is to get out of this funk. We don't want to go into the playoffs limping. We want to get our groove back, our confidence back, and our power play back, which is another reason we are struggling. But once we get in, there are some distractions. The weather gets good, people ask for tickets and you have to sharpen your focus.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=buccigross_john&id=2387250

PUCKER
03-31-2006, 11:46 PM
A: Initially, the most important thing is to get out of this funk. We don't want to go into the playoffs limping. We want to get our groove back, our confidence back, and our power play back, which is another reason we are struggling. But once we get in, there are some distractions. The weather gets good, people ask for tickets and you have to sharpen your focus.
--------------------------------------------
That says it all right there.

qcsabresfan84
04-02-2006, 01:58 AM
It's one thing for Drury to know the answers to the problems and a whole different thing for them to actually fix them.