PDA

View Full Version : Who Will Emerge as Next # 1....

bigbub2352
03-31-2006, 08:17 AM
The obvious choise is Lee Evans, but what will the receiver depth chart look like, and could we add a june 1st cut or maybe a draft pick to further crowd the depth chart right now we have Roscoe Parrish, Josh Reed, Andre Davis, Sam Aiken, Jonathan Smith, George Wilson, Lavirnous Danns on the roster if you keep 5 I think it shapes up like this

1. Lee Evans

2. Roscoe Parrish

3. Josh Reed

4. Andre Davis

5. Sam Aiken

6. Jonathan Smith

7. George Wilson

dannyek71
03-31-2006, 08:30 AM
Id like to say "other"

Id love to keep Evans as a Alvin Harper type of reciever. One that will take advantage of single coverage and go deep.

Patrick76777
03-31-2006, 08:37 AM
The obvious choise is Lee Evans, but what will the receiver depth chart look like, and could we add a june 1st cut or maybe a draft pick to further crowd the depth chart right now we have Roscoe Parrish, Josh Reed, Andre Davis, Sam Aiken, Jonathan Smith, George Wilson, Lavirnous Danns on the roster if you keep 5 I think it shapes up like this

The topic of discussion for the next 5 years on Bills MB's will be, "We need a number 1 WR"

No doubt in my mind.

Night Train
03-31-2006, 08:38 AM

1. Lee Evans

2. Roscoe Parrish

3. Josh Reed

4. Andre Davis

5. Sam Aiken

6. Jonathan Smith

7. George Wilson

#1 Pick Vernon Davis ! :krusty: ( Pat )

ICE74129
03-31-2006, 08:44 AM
Id like to say "other"

Id love to keep Evans as a Alvin Harper type of reciever. One that will take advantage of single coverage and go deep.

Evans is a complete, all around WR. Great hands, routes, speed and work ethic. Evans is our #1 and should be.

ICE74129
03-31-2006, 08:44 AM
The topic of discussion for the next 5 years on Bills MB's will be, "We need a number 1 WR"

No doubt in my mind.

We have a #1 WR, Lee Evans.

Patrick76777
03-31-2006, 08:56 AM
We shall see!

In 2003 we took 96 catches, 1000 yards and a bunch of TD’s (Peerless Price) off the roster and tried to replace it with Josh Reed and Bobby Shaw. We went from 8-8 with a great offense to 6-10 with a terrible offense.

This year we’re taking 81 catches, over 800 yards and 4 TD’s off the board (and that’s a bad year for him, due in large part IMO to inadequate Quarterbacking.

Even if Evans steps his numbers up slightly, you’re still taking a bunch of productions (from an already poor offense) off the board. If Evans is now your number 1 guy, who’s number 2? Reed? Parrish?

Patrick76777
03-31-2006, 09:00 AM
Everybody is wondering why we can’t take the next step. IMO, it’s because we’re always removing a large piece of the puzzle.

Peerless Price
Coaching changes
Drew Bledsoe
And now, Eric Moulds, Sam Adams and to a lesser extent Lawyer Milloy.

So this year, the passing game will struggle and teams will run up the middle on us all day long.

ICE74129
03-31-2006, 09:09 AM
We shall see!

In 2003 we took 96 catches, 1000 yards and a bunch of TD’s (Peerless Price) off the roster and tried to replace it with Josh Reed and Bobby Shaw. We went from 8-8 with a great offense to 6-10 with a terrible offense.

This year we’re taking 81 catches, over 800 yards and 4 TD’s off the board (and that’s a bad year for him, due in large part IMO to inadequate Quarterbacking.

Even if Evans steps his numbers up slightly, you’re still taking a bunch of productions (from an already poor offense) off the board. If Evans is now your number 1 guy, who’s number 2? Reed? Parrish?

Let me say this again....Better hands, work ethic, attitude, speed, route running etc than moulds coming out of college. Did moulds become a #1 WR? Bigger than Santana moss or steve smith while running a comparable 4.37-4.38 40 time.

all he needs is the same opportunity EVERY STARTING WR IN NFL HISTORY NEEDED. He just needs to be the #1 Guy. Evans has not only the skills but the attitude and work ethic to be a damn good #1 in this league. #1 WR is one of the very last things I am worried about on this team.

Jersey1031
03-31-2006, 09:15 AM
We don't have one big wide receiver...

TedMock
03-31-2006, 09:15 AM
This would be fine with me...

Deion Branch | 16 | 78 998 12.8 5
| Troy Brown | 13 | 39 466 11.9 2
| Brandon Childress | 1 | 3 32 10.7 0
| Andre Davis | 9 | 9 190 21.1 1
| Tim Dwight | 16 | 19 332 17.5 3
| David Givens | 13 | 59 738 12.5 2
| Bethel Johnson | 11 | 4 67 16.8 1

If you go back and look over the last several years, they have not had a 1,000 yard WR. There have been a couple of 800+, and last year with 998 is the closest they've come. These numbers are only the WR's. The TE's had Watson gaining 441, Graham 235, and Fauria 57.

I am NOT comparing us to NE. We have a looooong way to go. I'm just saying that the distribution in a team atmosphere has proved to be successful. Hey 3556 yards not including the RB's, and not one guy over 1000 yards. Pretty impressive. Hopefully we can get a similar mentality and build on it. Wishful thinking, but a boy can dream.

ICE74129
03-31-2006, 09:18 AM
We don't have one big wide receiver...
How big is steve smith?

Big doesn't always = successful. Evans is about 5'10" and that is just fine.

justasportsfan
03-31-2006, 09:21 AM
We have a #1 WR, Lee Evans.Hopefully. I'll have to get to you on that one.

Jersey1031
03-31-2006, 09:22 AM
How big is steve smith?

Big doesn't always = successful. Evans is about 5'10" and that is just fine.

That's only one example...

justasportsfan
03-31-2006, 09:24 AM
the only way I see our passing gmae take off with a young qb and OL , is if Willis has a monstrous season. With a rebuilt OL, I don't see that happening.

I wouldn't be surprised if our no. 1 offensive weapon this year is...... Ryan Lindell. :ill:

Captain gameboy
03-31-2006, 09:30 AM
Here's my choice.

He's a marv guy.

He's got a high motor.

Mel says hes a blue chipper.

He can take it to the house.

He's a true sleeper

Here's a pic my "friend" took at the combine last month.....

www.footballcardgallery.com/1965+Topps/44/

I have a "friend" who has "info" and says if we package Mario Haggan and our fourth, we can get him and the rights to Archie Manning by using NO's third.

'Nuff said.

ICE74129
03-31-2006, 09:33 AM
Hopefully. I'll have to get to you on that one.

No need, evans is the man.

ICE74129
03-31-2006, 09:33 AM
That's only one example... So? how about Hines Ward etc? look Evans is the guy. Apperantly now we have to ***** and whine about this too?

TedMock
03-31-2006, 09:49 AM
3 of the top 10 WR's were under 6'. Steve Smith, Santana Moss, and Joey Galloway. Terry Glenn finished 11th. Marvin Harrison is 6' even, but on 175 lbs. Evans is listed at 5'10" and 197lbs. That's pretty stocky for a WR with that type of speed. I'm 5'10" and 194lbs, and I'm a stocky guy. He's 5 lbs. heavier.

justasportsfan
03-31-2006, 09:55 AM
No need, evans is the man.Funny. If Moulds didn't have problems with the coaches and took a paycut , you'd be singing a different tune.

ICE74129
03-31-2006, 09:57 AM
I am 5'9" and won a US championship at 190lbs (currently 216.....) These guys fail to understand SIZE does NOT matter at WR. TO is a perfect combo, but there is only ONE TO.

Evans is the #1 guy, I can't believe there is even a thread on this subject. 5'10" 197lbs @ most likely 8% BF and runs a 4.38 40! It is moot point.

BillsFever21
03-31-2006, 10:00 AM
We shall see!

His 800 yards and 4 TD's isn't a bad year for him it's the kind of season he's had most of his career. He will only get older and slower over the next few seasons. He will be a 800-1,000 yard receiver at best. Outside of a few seasons that's all he's been his entire career.

Moulds has only had over 1,000 yards 4 times in his career and he has never had consecutive seasons of over 1,000 yards.

His average catch has went down every season during the past 8 seasons. He is not great and never has been no matter what some people around here wants to think. He has had some great years but 3 great years doesn't make a great career player. He has been average during his career.

Scream bad QB's all you want but the great ones still make big plays and Moulds hasn't been a big play WR in 3 years.

Hines Ward hasn't had the best QB's over the past 5 years but he still has 4 seasons of over 1,000 yards and 3 years of 10+ TD's. Moulds has only had 10 TD's once in his career.

What kind of teams and QB's has Chad Johnson had over the last 4 years? He still put up 1,150+ yards with tons of TD's over them years. Moulds only has 48 TD's in 8 years of being a starter. Johnson has 34 in 3 years as a starter and until last year he never had anything special for a QB and wasn't on any great offenses.

I know this will go in one ear and out the other for some blind fans like yourself but it's the truth.

Big time players make big plays no matter what. Moulds hasn't in 3 years and only has 3 good seasons out of 10. He is good but not great. At 33 years old he is not worth keeping around for 7 million a season.

Patrick76777
03-31-2006, 10:09 AM
His 800 yards and 4 TD's isn't a bad year for him it's the kind of season he's had most of his career. He will only get older and slower over the next few seasons. He will be a 800-1,000 yard receiver at best. Outside of a few seasons that's all he's been his entire career.

Moulds has only had over 1,000 yards 4 times in his career and he has never had consecutive seasons of over 1,000 yards.

His average catch has went down every season during the past 8 seasons. He is not great and never has been no matter what some people around here wants to think. He has had some great years but 3 great years doesn't make a great career player. He has been average during his career.

Scream bad QB's all you want but the great ones still make big plays and Moulds hasn't been a big play WR in 3 years.

Hines Ward hasn't had the best QB's over the past 5 years but he still has 4 seasons of over 1,000 yards and 3 years of 10+ TD's. Moulds has only had 10 TD's once in his career.

What kind of teams and QB's has Chad Johnson had over the last 4 years? He still put up 1,150+ yards with tons of TD's over them years. Moulds only has 48 TD's in 8 years of being a starter. Johnson has 34 in 3 years as a starter and until last year he never had anything special for a QB and wasn't on any great offenses.

I know this will go in one ear and out the other for some blind fans like yourself but it's the truth.

Big time players make big plays no matter what. Moulds hasn't in 3 years and only has 3 good seasons out of 10. He is good but not great. At 33 years old he is not worth keeping around for 7 million a season.

Just watch our passing game struggle.

Look at the games he was injured in 2003. Look at the game he was suspended in 2005.

He makes a diff. Just because he's not a top 10 WR anymore doesn't mean that he's not good. You can't have top 10 playes at every position on the field. This guy would still bring a lot to the table. Esp. if we could find a QB who can throw the ball with a S#it

bigbub2352
03-31-2006, 10:10 AM
in my opinion Lee Evans would be absolutley fine as number one u dont have to be 6'4 to run by someone, i played alot of football in my life, and when u got a guy on your team with speed and hands he is almost unstoppable, where was Eric Moulds in the redzone for the last five years, remeber he has specific plays for him and he was very ineffective on a consistent basis not good for someone getting paid Marvin Hrrison money, as a matter of fact how many games did Eric takeover in his career that puts him in such an elite class, doesn't matter who is throwing the ball to you even Billy Joe Hobert can hit somebody if they are consistently open, Lee is and will be #1 he is also a first rnd pick taken higher than Moulds that should tell u something, After June 1st we might be able to pick up a veteran number 3 or 2 and everybody else falls into place not to bad if u look at some of the other depth charts in the league S.F, Cleveland, TENN, etc...

Patrick76777
03-31-2006, 10:11 AM

he's only had that guy who's lost about 3 games in 2 seasons and is now a SB champion.

Patrick76777
03-31-2006, 10:12 AM
Alot of People dont realize that in my opinion Lee Evans would be absolutley fineas number one u dont have to be 6'4 to run by someone, i played alot of football in my life, and when u got a guy on your team with speed and hands he is almost unstoppable, were was Eric Moulds in the redzone for the last five years, remeber he has specific plays for him and he was ver ineffective, as a matter of fact how many games did Eric takeover in his career that puts him in such an elite class, doesn't matter who is throwing the ball to you even Billy Joe Hobert can hit somebody if they are consistently open, Lee is and will be #1 he is also a first rnd pick taken higher than Moulds that should tell u something, After June 1st we might be able to pick up a veteran number 3 or 2 and everybody else falls into place not to bad if u look at some of the other depth charts in the league S.F, Cleveland, TENN, etc...

Then the question should be, who's the number 2!!!!!!

justasportsfan
03-31-2006, 10:15 AM
I am 5'9" and won a US championship at 190lbs chess?

BillsFever21
03-31-2006, 10:19 AM
he's only had that guy who's lost about 3 games in 2 seasons and is now a SB champion.

For 5 seasons he has? The last 5 years have went by pretty damn quick. I didn't know Big Ben has been in the league for 5 years.

The other 3 years he had garbage for a QB and still kicked ass every year. That's how elite WR's play. How Moulds has played and never put up consecutive 1,000 yard seasons and hardly an TD's is how an average/good WR plays.

He is nothing more then a Keyshawn Johnson and nobody around here thinks he's elite. The money and draft picks being offered along with hardly any teams gunning for his services now that he's available clinches it.

You would think there would be tons of teams gunning for an elite WR for only a 4th-5th round pick and 4 million a year.

Patrick76777
03-31-2006, 10:21 AM
[QUOTE=BillsFever21]For 5 seasons he has? The last 5 years have went by pretty damn quick. I didn't know Big Ben has been in the league for 5 years.

QUOTE]

Where did I say that??????????????????????????

Wow, I missed it.

BillsFever21
03-31-2006, 10:29 AM
[quote=BillsFever21]For 5 seasons he has? The last 5 years have went by pretty damn quick. I didn't know Big Ben has been in the league for 5 years.

QUOTE]

Where did I say that??????????????????????????

Wow, I missed it.

I showed how Ward still put up great years over the past 5 seasons even without having great QB's the entire time and you just failed to mention the past two years that he had a competent QB and tried to ignore the fact that he was still great and consistent when he had junk.

I stated how he was great for 5 years even without the best of QB's and you came back with "He only has a guy who lost 3 games in two seasons and the SB champ". That's only two of the seasons. So what's the excuse for the other 3 seasons of stardom seeing as how you put Moulds in the same class if not even ahead of Ward?

Most say Moulds' numbers have been skewed because of the QB's around him. Hines Ward was still kicking ass long before Big Ben came around when he had guys like Tommy Maddox throwing him the ball.

BillsFever21
03-31-2006, 10:32 AM
I'm not gonna sit around and argue with homers like you about this though. You clearly show your value of Moulds is much more then what the rest of the league is valuing him at along with Marv Levy too.

If the league thought he was a great player right now Marv wouldn't even be letting him go and there would be more teams trying to get him when all it would take is a 4th round pick and up to 4 million a season.

Somehow you know more then the other GM's and value him higher though. I understand that homerism will do that to people though. It's all good.

Patrick76777
03-31-2006, 10:38 AM
I'm not gonna sit around and argue with homers like you about this though. You clearly show your value of Moulds is much more then what the rest of the league is valuing him at along with Marv Levy too.

If the league thought he was a great player right now Marv wouldn't even be letting him go and there would be more teams trying to get him when all it would take is a 4th round pick and up to 4 million a season.

Somehow you know more then the other GM's and value him higher though. I understand that homerism will do that to people though. It's all good.

I thought something like 7 teams or close to 1/4 of the league showed interest. Maybe more people then just "homers" think that this guy can bring something to the table.

Maybe I just don't want to have Josh Reed as my number 2. I mean, any "GM wannabe" would know that Josh Reed will be a great number 2. I mean afterall, it's not like we're trying to win this year. It's more important to save cap money and stay in a state of perpetual rebuilding. That way we're never good, but we always stay young, always have a ton of cap room and always get rid of guys on the downside because if they've already peaked, they're useless.

BillsFever21
03-31-2006, 10:43 AM
I thought something like 7 teams or close to 1/4 of the league showed interest. Maybe more people then just "homers" think that this guy can bring something to the table.

Maybe I just don't want to have Josh Reed as my number 2. I mean, any "GM wannabe" would know that Josh Reed will be a great number 2. I mean afterall, it's not like we're trying to win this year. It's more important to save cap money and stay in a state of perpetual rebuilding. That way we're never good, but we always stay young, always have a ton of cap room and always get rid of guys on the downside because if they've already peaked, they're useless.

They showed interest for the right price. Nothing where they felt they just needed this guy. If they could get him cheaply then sure why not go for it.

The Texans are the only team serious enough to offer a valid trade and try to work out a contract for him.

Tons of players have interest from teams when they're available but not to the point where they are a must.

If them teams felt he was a must guy because he's "elite" then more teams would be trying to get him for only a 4th round pick and 4 million a season.

I wonder what kind of offers would be on the table for Johnson, Moss and Holt if they were available?

Patrick76777
03-31-2006, 10:48 AM
I wonder what kind of offers would be on the table for Johnson, Moss and Holt if they were available?

Did you miss the part where I said I didn't think he was a top 10 WR? but that he can still be of great help.

And you'll come back to me with the money thing.

But we're a ton under the cap as it is, so who cares how much he makes for the year. It's not like we're using the money for anything else. Then next year if you need the money, you cut him.

ICE74129
03-31-2006, 10:57 AM
chess?

Highland Games

bigbub2352
03-31-2006, 11:04 AM
I definetly think we need an upgrade at 2 spot reed i guess at 3 or roscoe but number 2 would be nice to have a bigger possession reciever, but i think we r still waiting for Sam Aiken to emerge ha ha

Mr. Pink
03-31-2006, 03:38 PM
I have no problem with Lee being the 1, I think he'll struggle some with adjusting to lining up against the best corner week in and week out and dealing with the doubles. I have no doubts he can succeed as the 1, if he had someone to take a little of the heat off him in the 2nd spot. Problem is, and I've said this before, I don't think any of the other WRs on this roster are legitimate number 2s.

Reed-had his chance a couple times in the role. Failing miserably each time. He's not consistent enough nor does he have mental toughness to make teams respect him. He does run good routes though

Davis-had the chance in Cleveland, got bumped down each year due to lack of production and injuries. Then he got pushed completely out of Cleveland when he lost his KR duties to an undrafted rookie QB turned WR named Joshua Cribbs.

Aiken-Would be the IDEAL candidate if he had abilities. He has the size, speed and strength. Problem is he doesn't run routes well and doesn't catch well. What he does well is gunner on ST. And he's exceptional at it.

Roscoe Parrish-Bring up Steve Smith all you want but he lacks size not just height. He needs to bulk up to get off being jammed at the LOS. We don't really know what he can do at the NFL level due to him being injured most of the last season though. At best, I think he's the 4 on this team.

Fast Freddie really serves no purpose anymore on the roster, his main duties were returning and there is quite a few guys on this roster capable of that. The rest of the WRs I don't have enough knowledge on to comment, but generally that means they're no more than depth guys and roster cuts come cut down days.

I see it pan out like this....Evans-Reed-Davis-Parrish-Aiken.

The number 2 slot is up for grabs though and Davis or Reed could win the role by default, I guess. I don't like either of these guys in the number 2 role though and I'm sure given a few weeks after Evans original excitement of being the 1, he won't like who's starting beside him much either.

IMHO.